MS MS - Ocean Springs, Katrina Victims, 'Jane Love' 1256UFMS & 'John Mercy' 2572UMMS, Sep'05

b741ma

Reaction score
This unidentified person case is slightly unusual. I was unsure about starting this thread but they are still Does and in an added bonus both have available DNA. So here's the case information.
Jane Love - 1256UFMS
1256UFMS.jpg

Date of Discovery: Approximately September 5, 2005
Location of Discovery: Ocean Springs, Jackson County, Mississippi
Estimated Date of Death: August 29, 2005
State of Remains: Decomposed
Cause of Death: Natural disaster - Hurricane Katrina

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 50-59 years old
Race: Black
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 100-150 lbs.
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Pierced ears.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Black T-shirt with University of Michigan, Ann Arbor emblazoned in gold on the front and black capri pants (size 15).
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
About a week after Hurricane Katrina made landfall, the victim's body was found between the slabs where two houses once stood south of LeMoyne Boulevard off Ascott Street.

She was buried as Jane (Love) in Machpelah Cemetery in Pascagoula in February 2006 next to another unidentified Hurricane Katrina victim. Local businesses donated the coffin and flowers.

1256UFMS

John Mercy - 2572UMMS
2572UMMS.jpg

Date of Discovery:
Approximately September 5, 2005
Location of Discovery: Ocean Springs, Jackson County, Mississippi
Estimated Date of Death: August 29, 2005
State of Remains: Decomposed
Cause of Death: Natural disaster - Hurricane Katrina

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 60-65 years old
Race: Black
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown, but had a bald spot.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Close-cropped mustache. Tattoo of the number "8" inside of a heart on his left forearm just above the wrist.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery

About a week after Hurricane Katrina made landfall, the victim's body was found in a marshy area.

He was buried as John (Mercy) in Machpelah Cemetery in Pascagoula in February 2006 next to another unidentified Hurricane Katrina victim. Local businesses donated the coffin and flowers.

The Doe Network: 2572UMMS

This case will be harder to solve then other cases. I checked NamUs and I couldn't find any Katrina Victims listed. I'm assuming there families didn't bother reporting them because they thought they had been washed out to sea. I'm wondering how far away these two could of come from and if they were related in anyway.

Adding to the difficulty is that survivors literally moved to every part of the United States. Texas had thousands of people relocate there, to name just one state. Even far west states like Nevada had hundreds of Katrina refugees relocate. Many went to states where extended family ( cousins, etc.) lived.

This first link is old, but at least it is a starting point.
JusticebeServed: List of Victims of Katrina- May they be remembered

Hurricane Katrina missing states 3 people listed as missing from MS (may have increased as time went on) The comment from "Princess Shantae" is very interesting in the comments section, about a missing couple from outside New Orleans.

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2015/08/28/no-one-knows-how-many-people-died-in-katrina

Last edited:
Does anyone know which 2 profiles on the Charley Project that is referring to? How far apart were they found, I can only find a location for one. Is it definitely assumed they were a couple?

I looked for other Black couples in their 50s-60s from elsewhere in the USA but didnt find anything. the only thing I can think of is that T Shirt from Michigan may or may not indicate a point of origin, but that would imply that she left Michigan voluntarily. This is the only one from within a couple years that stood out.
Sandra Juanita Welton:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I wish Hardy were still alive to see this.

1000000142.jpg

His tale of survival and loss touched millions of viewers across the country.

To escape the rising water, Jackson, his wife and child climbed to the roof of a house, but a 20-foot wave split the house in two.

Jackson clung to a tree and desperately held on to his wife, Tonette.

Knowing he could not swim, she told him to let her go. "She said, 'Let go. You can't hold me, and that wave," he said, unable to finish.

He watched as her body was washed away. Days later, his T-shirt still hung from the branches above.

Jackson, homeless and grief-stricken, had a promise to keep: to care for his kids and grandkids.

He picked up his family and left the devastated region hoping for a new start.

A year later, half a million residents have yet to return home, including Jackson.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hardsaf
Back