MT MT - Dorothy Freeman, 26, Missoula, 7 Sept 1970

This is almost 100 miles away but I found a car, mostly white, that appears like it could be that style, ~340 ft off the road downhill near a creek.
I would think it's been discovered before but how many people check or report old cars in the woods like these for missing people? Would law enforcement check it out if given the details?

Well-meaning people often submit inaccurate witness sightings of missing people. It happens.

Unless there's other information about Dorothy that could explain why she would go so far beyond her original destination of Hamilton, it might help to consider that something might have happened to her on her drive between Missoula and Hamilton, or after she arrived in Hamilton.

Since she was going to be at her student teaching job the next day, she would have planned to stay the night somewhere in Hamilton. Back then, student (and non-student) teachers would often board with someone in the district. These were usually people who worked as teachers or were well-known acquaintances of people who worked at the schools. Was there any information about where she planned to stay in Hamilton? What was the road like back then between Missoula and Hamilton? Just some alternate suggestions.

Since she was going to be at her student teaching job the next day, she would have planned to stay the night somewhere in Hamilton

But why? The article mentions she had an apartment in Missoula. Hamilton (today, at least) is an hour drive.

Okay, maybe she wanted to spend the night in Hamilton and be fresh for the first day, fair enough. But:

She left her apartment in Missoula at 9:30 p.m

For me, those two things don’t go together easily. If you’re gonna leave that late, why bother?

Then I come across a newspaper article which mentions she had a “residence in Hamilton.

Date discrepancies:

NamUs, papers: 7 September 1970
Brother was reported as saying 7th, 8th, and 9th.
Montana Missing Persons reports 6 September!

Here’s a 1970 Montana highway map:

But why? The article mentions she had an apartment in Missoula. Hamilton (today, at least) is an hour drive.

Okay, maybe she wanted to spend the night in Hamilton and be fresh for the first day, fair enough. But:

For me, those two things don’t go together easily. If you’re gonna leave that late, why bother?

Then I come across a newspaper article which mentions she had a “residence in Hamilton.

Date discrepancies:

NamUs, papers: 7 September 1970
Brother was reported as saying 7th, 8th, and 9th.
Montana Missing Persons reports 6 September!

Here’s a 1970 Montana highway map:

She probably thought she would drive to Hamilton in time to go to bed and get a good night's sleep to be ready the next morning. She may have been busy preparing her lesson plan the night before. She may have even been tired and fell asleep on the way.

She may not have wanted to try to drive in time to get to Hamilton in time for class the next morning. Class starts early and she would need to be there an hour before students arrive. Student teaching is very important, its graded. She didn't want to risk being late due to car trouble, oversleeping, etc.
:(

Here's a link to a calendar for September 1970. Chances are, Dorothy would have been expected to be at school on Monday. That would make it September 6. I'm also seeing the same variation in dates in the news reports back then.

Here's an article that says she left on "Monday evening" and was expected in Hamilton for student teaching on "Tuesday morning". That would make her leaving on the evening of Sept 7 and reporting to school on Sept 8. The witness sightings of her allegedly in other areas were on the 9th. I just don't see it. Why would she drive down there, then not show up for work, then be seen wandering around an hour away a day or two later?

Last edited:
Interesting observation! That would be really far out if it were her car...
Yeah it would be odd, I was looking into a different case in that area anyway. I focus on ones of people missing with vehicles & have a map of them here. But hers was the next closest one and happened to have a vehicle that looks like a similar style.

Not convinced, it's so visible on google earth I would think someone would know about it, sitting there since at least 1997. Would it even still have color from the 70's?..

bumping.... misadventure seems most likely to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back