MT MT - Lucille Lewis, 53, St Ignatius, 31 Jan 2006

Bobbisangel said:
I wonder if there is any way that his son could get the truth out of him. He doesn't say if they even have any type of a relationship but it sure would be nice if the son could talk to his dad and get to the truth somehow. When your son thinks you are capable of murder then something is really wrong.

In the articles I've read, the son has nothing at all to do with his father. He has children himself and does not want him anywhere around his own children! Sounds like a good young man who is looking at the best interests of his children. He'd never had much to do with him growing up and apparently saw enough during his teenage years to know this "father" was not someone he needed in his life.
I doubt Stipes would ever admit to anything, I feel bad for the families involved and hope Lewis did not suffer much and that there aren't more victims out there. Maybe someday her body will be found by a hunter and they can get some evidence to charge him with.

Old Broad

http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/archive/index.php/t-337.html

http://www.newsregister.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=207908

Missing Newberg woman had big dreams, hopes

Published: May 16, 2006

By PAUL DAQUILANTE
Of the News-Register

Big Sky Country held big dreams and hopes for Lucille "Louie" Lewis, a 53-year-old Newberg woman wooed over the Internet last fall by a man who lured her to a remote area of Montana to make her home with him.

Earl Dean Stipe, also 53, said he was a retired federal marshal who owned a ranch. But he turned out to be an ex-con with a violent past who was making his home in a trailer in the isolated town of St. Ignatius.

Recently divorced, she took his word for it, brushing off the skepticism of friends, relatives and co-workers from Oregon Mutual Insurance, where she had found rewarding employment for many years.

Did she discover her error too late? That's what members of her family - and even some of his - most fear.

According to his son, long estranged from him, he tried to smother his first wife more than once after she began to have misgivings about him. He thinks that could be the fate Lewis met.

No one in her family has seen her or heard from her in more than six months now, not even the grandchildren she doted on. Police have launched an investigation, but her whereabouts remains a mystery.

Stipe has been considered a person of interest in her disappearance from the outset. After all, she left all of her worldly possessions behind and he began pawning them in short order.

However, they have stopped short of calling him a suspect. The most they have been able to do is put him away for violating his probation on an earlier conviction.

Lewis' sister, Cassie Jones of Hubbard, helped trigger the investigation by filing a missing person's report with the Lake County Sheriff's Office in Polson. When officers went to Stipe's trailer to talk to him about the mysterious disappearance, they found 14 firearms.

That violated terms of his probation on the latest in a series of forgery convictions, earning him two years in the Montana State Prison in Deer Lodge. He was sent away last month to begin serving his time.

Louie and Ken Lewis had recently ended a 20-year marriage on amicable terms when she encountered Stipe on the internet.

Like everyone else in her Oregon life, her ex-husband harbored deep misgivings. But she felt she had found true love - to the point where she was willing to give up a 25-year underwriting career, leave the home she shared with son Steve Baldoni and his family, including two young grandsons, and set off with Stipe for a new life in the wilds of Montana.

Like Stipe's long-estranged son, Sean, Jones has no doubt at this point about what happened to her sister. Stipe killed her, she figures.

She made a trip to Montana to pick up her sister's belongings, meet the lead Lake County Sheriff's Office detective and visit the area where her sister spent the last few months of her life. While there, she also talked with the younger Stipe, who said he's spent his life living down that of his biological father.

"My sister went there to be with a man she thought she loved," Jones said. "She obviously loved him. She had such big hopes and dreams. When I got there, I looked around, and the area is just beautiful.

"She could have been real happy there," Jones said. "She always liked the country and animals. She was looking for a dream, and she would have had it all there. She had always wanted something like that."

Jones said it was heart-wrenching to walk into the trailer where Lewis had made her home with Stipe and see her possessions. It gave her an eerie feeling.

"Usually, when a woman has lived in a home, you see all the womanly touches," she said. "They had all been wiped away. You could not even tell a woman had ever lived there."

Jones had spoken with Detective Kim Leibenguth by phone, but had not made her acquaintance in person. In Montana, she got to spend most of a day with her.

She said the detective has a tough, no-nonsense way about her. She came away believing her sister's case was in good hands. "She brings a humanness to her job," said. "I value who she is and what she is doing. I believe she is committed to finding out what happened to my sister."

She said the detective told her Stipe's two-year prison sentence would give her additional time to work the case.

Jones said she had hoped to meet with Sean Stipe while in Montana, but had to settle for talking to him on the phone. After collecting her sister's belongings, she said, she felt emotionally drained and just wanted to get home.

But she said Stipe's first wife, Sean's mother, had recently taken the detective on a tour of Stipe's rural haunts. She said that part of the family feels empathy and wants to help.

Jones said she plans to make another trip to Montana. In the meantime, she is keeping in touch with Leibenguth on a weekly basis.

"I keep praying they will find her," she said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not been there or done that, but it sounds as though this poor woman was so lost and confused after the breakup of her long marriage that she was not thinking clearly. Sadly, it probably cost her her life. Too bad her son was unable to talk her out of it or at least to slow down a bit and examine her options. Again, so sad. I hope they do find her for the sake of her family.

Opie said:
I have not been there or done that, but it sounds as though this poor woman was so lost and confused after the breakup of her long marriage that she was not thinking clearly. Sadly, it probably cost her her life. Too bad her son was unable to talk her out of it or at least to slow down a bit and examine her options. Again, so sad. I hope they do find her for the sake of her family.
I know St. Ignatius and that part of Montana. If he did something to her and buried her body, chances are it will never be found. And that's probably why he didn't run when she went missing. It isn't that remote as a main highway to Kalispell and Northern Montana runs right through it, but the hills are heavily wooded and there aren't that many people around that area, even by Montana standards.

If he said he took her to the airport, that would have to be in Kalispell or Missoula and both have security cameras that would show her if she had been there. I hope LE have looked at the recordings to see if she was ever there.

It is a shame that she tooks such a 'reckless' chance, but 'love' is a funny thing and maybe he said everything she needed to hear.

Boy, did she need to do some big time checking on this guy. Wonder if she knew that she could check him out throughly for a very small sum.
She was overly trusting......one sweet lady........hope more people learn from this.
Take lots of time, a ton of time.......and pay to know.......all you can...be safe.

No news on Lucille in a long time here in the northwest.

Gmommy said:
No news on Lucille in a long time here in the northwest.

If he lived way out there he probably did something with her to where she will never be found. I cringe everytime I hear that women are still meeting men online. Same with these dating services. There have been two women recently that LE believe met men through a dating service and the women ended up dead. It just isn't worth the risk. About the only safe way anymore to meet guys are through friends who really know the guy and know what he is like. I have one single daughter and if I found out that she was meeting guys online I would cry and beg and plead for her not to do that. We've already been through hell and back and I wouldn't live through losing another daughter...she knows that though. She doesn't put herself in danger.

Bobbisangel said:
If he lived way out there he probably did something with her to where she will never be found. I cringe everytime I hear that women are still meeting men online. Same with these dating services. There have been two women recently that LE believe met men through a dating service and the women ended up dead. It just isn't worth the risk. About the only safe way anymore to meet guys are through friends who really know the guy and know what he is like. I have one single daughter and if I found out that she was meeting guys online I would cry and beg and plead for her not to do that. We've already been through hell and back and I wouldn't live through losing another daughter...she knows that though. She doesn't put herself in danger.

I wouldn't cringe about women meeting men online. I used to do it all the time. Ten years ago, I met a man who was a scammer and used and abused me terribly. I found out after moving in with him that he was nothing that he said he was. I was even real time friends with some of his friends, none of which knew the whole truth about him. (Back then it cost quite a bit to check someone out. Now you can do it fairly cheaply.) He ripped me off for a lot of money and drained my self esteem. I escaped one night while he was on a business trip and I had been able to drop his kids at his mother's house.

Six months later, I went back on the internet. I was looking for fun, not a serious relationship. That's where I found my husband. We'll be celebrating our 7th anniversary in August.

Still, I think the internet is a much more dangerous place than it was at that time. Scammers and psychopaths have figured out more ways to use it to their advantage. Women (and men) just need to be careful when they go and meet someone, ensuring that someone else knows where they are and doing their research on the person they are going to meet. If that person is unwilling to part with personal information, then don't go to meet them because something is up. I have a whole list of cautions that I won't go into here, but the internet is no different from a bar or a church group -- you have to be careful no matter where you go.

I'm glad it worked for you, but I agree that the Internet is a much more dangerous place today.

Several years ago the Internet broke up a family with four children in our area. Mom started communicating with a guy from Sweden, deserted her entire family, gave up custody of her children. I don't know what happened to her, only that it really impacted the kids.

As soon as the older two reached 16, they went to work to help the family survive. They were not able to particpate in school activities (no money or time) - became adults much too early. Sad.

Ever think about this? Guys, as well as girls, go to the grocery store, to retail stores, and many to sporting goods or music stores - maybe church. These are much more reputable places to meet someone that online dating.

You're definitely correct in saying no matter where you meet someone, you need to check them out before things get serious.

Trino said:
I'm glad it worked for you, but I agree that the Internet is a much more dangerous place today.

Several years ago the Internet broke up a family with four children in our area. Mom started communicating with a guy from Sweden, deserted her entire family, gave up custody of her children. I don't know what happened to her, only that it really impacted the kids.

As soon as the older two reached 16, they went to work to help the family survive. They were not able to particpate in school activities (no money or time) - became adults much too early. Sad.

Ever think about this? Guys, as well as girls, go to the grocery store, to retail stores, and many to sporting goods or music stores - maybe church. These are much more reputable places to meet someone that online dating.

You're definitely correct in saying no matter where you meet someone, you need to check them out before things get serious.

I used to go into a chatroom that no longer is....it was a blast in there but the online affairs that were going on amazed me... also how ready the gals were to leave their husbands/kids and meet up with guys that they knew nothing about and had never met. Two of the gals found out somehow that the same guy was romancing both of them and feeding both of them a big ole line of B.S. He really thought he was the chatroom stud muffin.

Yahoo used to have these chatrooms that members could make and one night I happened to hop across one from the town I was living in at the time. I recognized some of the people in that chat room I knew their husbands, their children, everything and here they are sitting in these rooms trying to find someone to hook up with while their husbands were deployed. Personally I am so happy that I am married and not out there on the dating scene because I think I would mark everyone a mass-murderer and probably never date at all.

Bobbisangel said:
I used to go into a chatroom that no longer is....it was a blast in there but the online affairs that were going on amazed me... also how ready the gals were to leave their husbands/kids and meet up with guys that they knew nothing about and had never met. Two of the gals found out somehow that the same guy was romancing both of them and feeding both of them a big ole line of B.S. He really thought he was the chatroom stud muffin.

Montanagirl said:

So did all three of these people disappear from the same county or area? I wonder if there is one killer or what? It sounds like the guy that they caught for the sex crime might have killed the woman who he was living with unless he split and Sipes got ahold of her. Maybe he murdered all three of the missing people...one being the man they just found. Someone must have got ahold of him when he was on the way somewhere. This is really creepy. Might be a seral killer in that area. Where is Sipes now...anyone know?

Bumping, Lucille has been missing for over ten years now.

NamUs

• lucille_hellen_lewis_1.jpg
  • lucille_hellen_lewis_2.jpg
  • lucille_hellen_lewis_3.jpg
  • lucille_hellen_lewis_4.jpg
  • lucille_hellen_lewis_7.jpg
Lewis, circa 2006; Earl Dean Stipe
  • Missing Since 01/31/2006
  • Missing From Missoula, Montana
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 09/25/1952 (70)
  • Age 53 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'2 - 5'5, 150 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Lewis's nickname is Louie. She wears eyeglasses.

Details of Disappearance​

Lewis moved from from Newberg, Oregon to St. Ignatius, Montana in November 2005. She relocated to be with her boyfriend, Earl Dean Stipe.

A photograph of Stipe is posted with this case summary. Lewis had met him on the internet in October 2005, shortly after the dissolution of her twenty-year marriage, and was apparently unaware that he was a convicted felon.

None of Lewis's friends or family in Oregon heard from her after she moved to Montana, although she had been close to her family and was on friendly terms with her ex-husband. Her sister tried repeatedly to reach her by cellular phone, but to no result.

In February 2006, Lewis's sister contacted Stipe and asked about Lewis. Stipe stated Lewis had wanted to return to Oregon and he last saw her when he dropped her off at the Missoula International Airport in Missoula, Montana on January 31.

As Lewis had never arrived in Oregon, her sister became concerned and filed a missing persons report with Montana police. When investigators went to Stipe's home to question him about Lewis's disappearance found over a dozen firearms inside his residence.

Stipe, as a convicted felon on probation, is not legally allowed to own any guns, so he was arrested. In November 2007, he was sentenced to 18 months in prison for being a felon in possession of firearms.

Subsequent investigation revealed that Stipe had forged Lewis's name on checks and had pawned some of her jewelry and other belongings. He had told Lewis he was a retired federal marshal who owned a ranch; in fact, he had never been a marshal and lived in a trailer with his adult son and his son's girlfriend and two children.

Although Stipe's felony conviction was for forgery and not for any violent offense, his son described him as was violent and abusive.

Although the circumstances surrounding Lewis's disappearance are unclear, Stipe is considered a person of interest in her case. Prior to moving to Montana she was employed as an underwriter at the Oregon Mutual Insurance company for over 25 years. Her disappearance remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Lake County Sheriff's Office 406-883-7301

Source Information​

Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated April 4, 2008; middle name, date of birth, height and alternate weight added, distinguishing characteristics updated

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back