MT MT - Nyleen Marshall, 4, Clancy, 25 June 1983

Hard to know what to believe in this case.

It's possible that Nyleen did disappear in the mountains. There is no evidence of an abduction, and it would not have been difficult for a four year-old girl to get lost in such dense woodland and trap herself somewhere. However, the man in the purple jogging suit is shifty, as he tried to approach the other girls and he was in the vicinity shortly before Nyleen was last seen.

As for the calls/letters, they knew information about the case that was withheld from the general public but that isn't proof they were genuine. They could just be the sick fantasies of a hoaxer. Heck, the letters could have been fake and she was still abducted by someone else. Whatever happened, I doubt Nyleen survived long after her disappearance. She either perished to the elements or she was killed shortly after her kidnapping. I know there are cases of abductors raising their victims but more often than not they die within 24 hours.

What with the murder-rape (or "suicide" according to the Mexican police) of Nyleen's mother several years later, a tragic story all round.

I've neglected to mention this since reopening the site, but it has gotten a second admin, who is related to Nancy and Nyleen. Since I'm uncertain about their desire for anonymity, I won't say who for now.

Last edited:
Nyleen Kay Marshall
nyleen_kay_marshall_1.jpg
nyleen_kay_marshall_2.jpg
nyleen_kay_marshall_3.jpg

Nyleen, circa 1983; Age-progression to age 33 (circa 2011)
  • Missing Since 06/25/1983
  • Missing From Clancy, Montana
  • Classification Non-Family Abduction
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 09/18/1978 (43)
  • Age 4 years old
  • Height and Weight 3'2, 29 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A yellow t-shirt, shorts and no shoes or socks.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Nyleen has a small mole above her left eyebrow and dimples on both cheeks. Her upper left baby tooth was chipped at the time she vanished. She has excess hair on her lower back and she is right-handed.
Details of Disappearance

Nyleen accompanied her family on a picnic outing in the in the Helena National Forest in the Elkhorn Mountains on June 25, 1983 near her hometown of Clancy, Montana. She was playing with some children who walked ahead of her for a moment at approximately 4:00 p.m.

When her friends turned around, Nyleen had vanished. She was last seen sitting alone near the beaver dams on Maupin Creek. An extensive search of the area turned up no indication of her whereabouts.

Nyleen's family was questioned about her disappearance and her stepfather was considered a person of interest in her case. Her mother died in 1995; it was reported she was sexually assaulted and murdered in Mexico.

An unknown man wearing a jogging suit was seen nearby just before she disappeared, and reportedly spoke to Nyleen and told her to "follow the shadow." It is not known if he was connected to Nyleen's case.

In November 1985, an anonymous person called the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children on several occasions and said he'd abducted Nyleen. The police traced the calls to various phone booths in Edgerton, Wisconsin, but after the phone booths were identified, the calls stopped.

In January 1986, an anonymous person sent Child Find, a New York-based missing children's organization, a typewritten letter saying he had picked up "a girl named Kay" on a road in Elkhorn Park between Helena and Boulder, Montana, and had decided to take her home with him. The letter was postmarked Madison, Wisconsin, thirty miles northwest of Edgerton, and included details about Nyleen's case that had not been released to the general public.

The writer explained that he had a good investment income, worked from home, and homeschooled Kay. He also traveled frequently with her all over the United States and in Canada and Great Britain. He said he loved the child and she was happy, and that although he knew her family missed her he could not "let her go."

Nyleen has never been located. The person who wrote and telephoned authorities has not been identified, and it is unclear whether this individual actually had anything to do with her disappearance. Investigators stated the information in the phone calls and letter indicated sexual abuse.

Although it's possible Nyleen simply wandered away from the group and succumbed to the wilderness, but her disappearance is classified as a non-family abduction. Her case is unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Jefferson County Sheriff's Office 406-225-4075
Source Information

Poor Nyleen and her family. It's a tragic story, and they deserve to be remembered.

NamUs doesn't mention the possibility of abduction, and I really hope she wasn't, but if there was a suspicious man around, it's sadly possible.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Circumstances of Disappearance:
Nyleen was last seen on an outing with her family in the Elkhorn Mountains, near Clancy, Montana when she wandered off.

She is currently 43-years-old.

Nyleen’s story always sticks out to me because I was born the day before her disappearance. As well as the fact that his family has had terrible luck (her mother was murdered).

I’m wondering if this is a case of Occam’s razor and she simply got lost or fell and died of exposure or injury.

although, refresh my memory, did the letter writer have info about the case that only LE would know?

NamUs doesn't mention the possibility of abduction, and I really hope she wasn't, but if there was a suspicious man around, it's sadly possible.

For whatever reason, most inquiries like NamUS and NCMEC neglect to mention the stranger in the jogging suit. A retired detective for her case wasn't impressed with its portrayal in the media; wouldn't surprise me if that's the reason.

although, refresh my memory, did the letter writer have info about the case that only LE would know?

The letters were said to contain details not released to the general public.

Nyleen Kay Marshall
nyleen_kay_marshall_1.jpg
nyleen_kay_marshall_2.jpg
nyleen_kay_marshall_3.jpg

Nyleen, circa 1983; Age-progression to age 33 (circa 2011)
  • Missing Since 06/25/1983
  • Missing From Clancy, Montana
  • Classification Non-Family Abduction
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 09/18/1978 (43)
  • Age 4 years old
  • Height and Weight 3'2, 29 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A yellow t-shirt, shorts and no shoes or socks.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Nyleen has a small mole above her left eyebrow and dimples on both cheeks. Her upper left baby tooth was chipped at the time she vanished. She has excess hair on her lower back and she is right-handed.
Details of Disappearance

Nyleen accompanied her family on a picnic outing in the in the Helena National Forest in the Elkhorn Mountains on June 25, 1983 near her hometown of Clancy, Montana. She was playing with some children who walked ahead of her for a moment at approximately 4:00 p.m.

When her friends turned around, Nyleen had vanished. She was last seen sitting alone near the beaver dams on Maupin Creek. An extensive search of the area turned up no indication of her whereabouts.

Nyleen's family was questioned about her disappearance and her stepfather was considered a person of interest in her case. Her mother died in 1995; it was reported she was sexually assaulted and murdered in Mexico.

An unknown man wearing a jogging suit was seen nearby just before she disappeared, and reportedly spoke to Nyleen and told her to "follow the shadow." It is not known if he was connected to Nyleen's case.

In November 1985, an anonymous person called the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children on several occasions and said he'd abducted Nyleen. The police traced the calls to various phone booths in Edgerton, Wisconsin, but after the phone booths were identified, the calls stopped.

In January 1986, an anonymous person sent Child Find, a New York-based missing children's organization, a typewritten letter saying he had picked up "a girl named Kay" on a road in Elkhorn Park between Helena and Boulder, Montana, and had decided to take her home with him. The letter was postmarked Madison, Wisconsin, thirty miles northwest of Edgerton, and included details about Nyleen's case that had not been released to the general public.

The writer explained that he had a good investment income, worked from home, and homeschooled Kay. He also traveled frequently with her all over the United States and in Canada and Great Britain. He said he loved the child and she was happy, and that although he knew her family missed her he could not "let her go."

Nyleen has never been located. The person who wrote and telephoned authorities has not been identified, and it is unclear whether this individual actually had anything to do with her disappearance. Investigators stated the information in the phone calls and letter indicated sexual abuse.

Although it's possible Nyleen simply wandered away from the group and succumbed to the wilderness, but her disappearance is classified as a non-family abduction. Her case is unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Jefferson County Sheriff's Office 406-225-4075
Source Information
Wouldn't he have needed a passport to take her to Canada or Great Britain?

The "purple jogging suit" really stands out to me. My favorite color is purple. Purple was not a common color in clothing back in the 1983. The first purple t-shirt I bought was in about 1990 to 1995 and then it was only in the men's department. Maybe this man had money and was able to purchase more expensive clothing than the rest of us. Maybe, he really did have "investments" that allowed him to travel extensively.

The "purple jogging suit" really stands out to me. My favorite color is purple. Purple was not a common color in clothing back in the 1983. The first purple t-shirt I bought was in about 1990 to 1995 and then it was only in the men's department. Maybe this man had money and was able to purchase more expensive clothing than the rest of us. Maybe, he really did have "investments" that allowed him to travel extensively.

I can't seem to find anything on the color of "Shadow Nelson"s jogging suit aside from Charley Project. I'm thinking they went by the actor's clothing in the reenactment.

I can't seem to find anything on the color of "Shadow Nelson"s jogging suit aside from Charley Project. I'm thinking they went by the actor's clothing in the reenactment.
That could be. It might be helpful if LE confirmed it.

Wouldn't he have needed a passport to take her to Canada or Great Britain?
I've entered Canada three times and never needed a passport. The first time, I was a kid, sleeping in the back of the car when we crossed at night. The second time, we had to do the border thing. They were asking questions because my dad was travelling alone with my brother and me. They ended up refusing us entry because my dad had a record from when he was younger and rambunctious. The third time, my brother and I, older now, crossed without any problem on the way to New York.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back