MT MT - Paul Batson, 45, Stillwater Co, 29 Apr 2018

Stillwater County Search And Rescue

A new update on the search for Brandon Fitch, which could also be considered a possible search for Paul. The search for Brandon is now considered a recovery effort. There are some new and recent pictures of the Yellowstone River near Reed Point on the main Stillwater Search and Rescue Facebook page.

They have been trying to get divers into the river without success. I am not a diver but have done some rafting and boating on this section of the Yellowstone and cannot even imagine how divers can keep from being taken downstream by the river. These searchers are heroic and dedicated.

Paul had disappeared on his own accord about twenty years ago. That’s been kept fairly quiet. I had held out hope that given that he had “walked away” before that he would return or be found alive and well. The time before he was only gone for two weeks. Obviously, it’s been much longer now. I’m very discouraged, but it’s hard not to hold out hope that he’s maybe done the same again but for longer this time. It’s hard to imagine in this day and age he wouldn’t be seen and identified. Just talking out loud. I don’t know. I just know you are missed, Paul.

Paul had disappeared on his own accord about twenty years ago. That’s been kept fairly quiet. I had held out hope that given that he had “walked away” before that he would return or be found alive and well. The time before he was only gone for two weeks. Obviously, it’s been much longer now. I’m very discouraged, but it’s hard not to hold out hope that he’s maybe done the same again but for longer this time. It’s hard to imagine in this day and age he wouldn’t be seen and identified. Just talking out loud. I don’t know. I just know you are missed, Paul.
Thank you so much for sharing this! This gives me even the smallest hope that Paul is still out there, alive and healthy. I think a person could get by, unrecognized for awhile, if they were paying cash for groceries and maybe National Forest campsites. Motels are a bit trickier, because cash isn't always accepted without a credit card to back up a room deposit. But it someone wanted to go off the grid for a few months, I think Montana/Idaho/Wyoming/the Dakotas would be an area no one would mess with you and pretty much leave you alone if you wanted to be left alone.

How do you know this information?

How do you know this information?

Paul is an old family friend. I only shared it because it’s what I’m clinging to in hopes that he is still alive and well. It’s fairly common knowledge back where he grew up. I’m especially hopeful given what @loreet shared about that region of the country being a practical place to go off grid for awhile.

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

If you would like to add yourself as an expert in a certain field or as an insider to a case, please send an email to wsverify@gmail.com

We only verify people who know the players or have been named in the media, etc. This does not include people who may befriend a player on internet social media and then wish to post about it.

Please include:

The case
Your Websleuths name
Your phone number and a good time to call
Your real name
Location (City and State)
In the subject line please put your user name and which case you are asking to be verified on

All info will be kept strictly confidential.

Thank you

I work in the same office as Paul.
We don't hear anything new.
Monday April 30th, Paul was supposed to be back to work. That was the same day he had an interview in Montana.
I'm pretty sure he texted his girlfriend from library, not called.
Also guys look so different with a clean shaven face as opposed to hair on their face. All the photos of Paul show him clean shaven.
We also have heard about Paul missing for a couple of weeks years ago.
Think of Paul every day and hoping for the best.

I work in the same office as Paul.
We don't hear anything new.
Monday April 30th, Paul was supposed to be back to work. That was the same day he had an interview in Montana.
I'm pretty sure he texted his girlfriend from library, not called.
Also guys look so different with a clean shaven face as opposed to hair on their face. All the photos of Paul show him clean shaven.
We also have heard about Paul missing for a couple of weeks years ago.
Think of Paul every day and hoping for the best.

Interesting that his interview in Montana was on the day he was supposed to be back at work...

Interesting that his interview in Montana was on the day he was supposed to be back at work...
Sort of indicates a lack of a solid plan? I might make overlapping arrangements under some uncertainty or stress and plan to call my boss from the road. It's just about a 20 hour drive straight through from Bozeman to Chicago. Driving solo, I've made that trip in about 25 hours; no motel stays, limited rest breaks, fast food drive-throughs, some speeding across the Dakotas. He'd arrive home needing a nap but many people do blitz the trip for various reasons. Depending on the time of his scheduled Monday interview, Paul could have planned to be back in Illinois sometime Tuesday.

I've been looking at some local and regional maps to see if I could figure out where Paul may have gone off to if he was taking an extended break from life and civilization. If you factor in a bit of hitch-hiking and on/off trail hiking, the possibilities are really endless. Toward the Crazy Mountains? Into the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness?

The tourist season in Bozeman has started with many out-of-state visitors this week-end. Yellowstone River reports from various fishing and floating sites indicate most stretches -- including Reed Point to Columbus -- are still just a bit too high and dirty to recommend fishing or floating. Flows and river height have peaked for the year though, and are going down. I expect there will be more people on the river recreating by next week-end.

Somber Search

The main article is about the search for Brandon Fitch, but if you page down there is a recent update about Paul. Not really anything new for us, except a quote that the investigation is currently at a 'wait and see' point.

61 Days Missing.

Sort of indicates a lack of a solid plan? I might make overlapping arrangements under some uncertainty or stress and plan to call my boss from the road. It's just about a 20 hour drive straight through from Bozeman to Chicago. Driving solo, I've made that trip in about 25 hours; no motel stays, limited rest breaks, fast food drive-throughs, some speeding across the Dakotas. He'd arrive home needing a nap but many people do blitz the trip for various reasons. Depending on the time of his scheduled Monday interview, Paul could have planned to be back in Illinois sometime Tuesday.

I've been looking at some local and regional maps to see if I could figure out where Paul may have gone off to if he was taking an extended break from life and civilization. If you factor in a bit of hitch-hiking and on/off trail hiking, the possibilities are really endless. Toward the Crazy Mountains? Into the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness?

The tourist season in Bozeman has started with many out-of-state visitors this week-end. Yellowstone River reports from various fishing and floating sites indicate most stretches -- including Reed Point to Columbus -- are still just a bit too high and dirty to recommend fishing or floating. Flows and river height have peaked for the year though, and are going down. I expect there will be more people on the river recreating by next week-end.

Somber Search

The main article is about the search for Brandon Fitch, but if you page down there is a recent update about Paul. Not really anything new for us, except a quote that the investigation is currently at a 'wait and see' point.

61 Days Missing.

Like Paul’s coworker, I was aware of the interview overlapping with the day that he said he would be back at work. We only realized this after he went missing and put the pieces together.

For me, it indicates something that was very much planned. That’s what gives me hope he’s alive and taking a break.

Paul Batson - Your family must know something that they aren't wanting to disclose publicly?

I don't find in NamUs:
Missing Persons Search
No Missing Persons Cases Found
  • First Name: paul
  • Last Name: batson

Still no photo on DOJ website:
Missing Persons Search - Montana Department of Justice
Missing Person Details - Montana Department of Justice

Name: BATSON, PAUL PHILIP
Aliases:
Date of Birth: 09/18/1972
Date of Last Contact: 04/29/2018
Investigating Agency: BOZEMAN POLICE DEPARTMENT
I still don't understand why LE hasn't posted Paul's photo on the official MT DOJ page. I wish that family would insist that his photo be posted.

I still don't understand why LE hasn't posted Paul's photo on the official MT DOJ page. I wish that family would insist that his photo be posted.

I agree!!! That is puzzling to me.<modsnip>

Here’s a photo of Paul with facial hair. Wish we could get this out.

<modsnip= an MSM link needs to be provided when you assert a statement as fact>

Attachments

• E8DA56B1-FD8C-45C7-A8C1-3D1B931A4B01.jpeg
    E8DA56B1-FD8C-45C7-A8C1-3D1B931A4B01.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree!!! That is puzzling to me. Paul’s (former) girlfriend has been the one working with the police. They had recently broken up and were selling their townhouse. I’m not sure if she’s not wanting to draw attention to that or if she’s just assuming he’s gone off grid.

Here’s a photo of Paul with facial hair. Wish we could get this out.
That Paul and girlfriend "had recently broken up" is quite interesting given that the news reported their daily contact during his travels. Must have been a 'friendly' breakup, or perhaps kept regular contact regarding townhouse sale? Or, she was concerned about him and maybe something was alarming in their last conversation.
Searches find nothing regarding Batavia man missing in Montana
updated: 5/9/2018 3:56 PM
[...]
His girlfriend called Bozeman, Montana, police April 30 to report him missing, according to Detective Sgt. Joe Swanson. She was worried when he failed to contact her, as he had daily throughout his trip out West.
[...]

there is a recent update about Paul. Not really anything new for us, except a quote that the investigation is currently at a 'wait and see' point.
Missing Illinois man case open but cold
Thursday, June 28, 2018
The case of a missing Illinois man whose car was found abandoned in Reed Point two months ago has gone cold.
Or rather, gone colder.
[...]
Family members have also said Batson has never disappeared before and that just days before he went missing, he had been in Colorado visiting his three grown sons.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back