Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that not one, but two people with recognizable faces cannot be ID is interesting....loved ones scared to come forward? I think it was an execution. Shot three times in three different places, but spared the face and head...i believe to be recognized, as if to send a message...

That's the way things go....so many people searching, theorizing, going over this case over and over again in the last years (and years), trying to find them, bring them back home. And nowadays just hoping for DNA Doe Project to pick the unidentified up. It's wonderful what they do. No doubt about that. I'm flabbergasted every single time. Just wondering what is the added value of forums like this? (besides social contact, keeping your brain working etc.) No judgment here. Open end....just want to know your opinion? Or to put it in another way...how can I be of real use.

Last edited:
That's the way things go....so many people searching, theorizing, going over this case over and over again in the last years (and years), trying to find them, bring them back home. And nowadays just hoping for DNA Doe Project to pick the unidentified up. It's wonderful what they do. No doubt about that. I'm flabbergasted every single time. Just wondering what is the added value of forums like this? (besides social contact, keeping your brain working etc.) No judgment here. Open end....just want to know your opinion? Or to put it in another way...how can I be of real use.

Take the road less traveled. Find those cases that are being summarily ignored to work on. They may not be the most compelling, mysterious or "popular" but isn't that reason enough for someone, anyone, to give them some attention?

Take the road less traveled. Find those cases that are being summarily ignored to work on. They may not be the most compelling, mysterious or "popular" but isn't that reason enough for someone, anyone, to give them some attention?

Good question and good answer. Here's another question. Do you have a DNA lab in your basement? I don't and even if I did I wouldn't know how to use it.
The DDP and other such organizations are doing a great service to everyone, society in general. Probably ninety percent of the cases that get solved from this point forward will be due to some kind of DNA or genealogical profiling. It is a given. It is a powerful thing and a good one.
That being said there's just not much that I can do for them. However (and I'm not trying to make anyone mad. Really Im not.) I personally wanna be a little more than just a cheerleader. I may not be all that good and I might fumble a lot and fall down a lot but I still like to get in the game every now and then and not just always stand on the sidelines.
You never know. What were doing here is more than just conversing with each other. We are creating a record. A permanent one. If nothing else, maybe someday, possibly years from now, someone will come behind us and get some inspiration or find that one tidbit of information that we left behind because we didn't know what to do with it and use it to make some progress in a case. Who knows?
I fully expect and hope for DDP and others to continue their good work into the future but in the meantime. Happy sleuthing. Right? Right.

Good question and good answer. Here's another question. Do you have a DNA lab in your basement? I don't and even if I did I wouldn't know how to use it.
The DDP and other such organizations are doing a great service to everyone, society in general. Probably ninety percent of the cases that get solved from this point forward will be due to some kind of DNA or genealogical profiling. It is a given. It is a powerful thing and a good one.
That being said there's just not much that I can do for them. However (and I'm not trying to make anyone mad. Really Im not.) I personally wanna be a little more than just a cheerleader. I may not be all that good and I might fumble a lot and fall down a lot but I still like to get in the game every now and then and not just always stand on the sidelines.
You never know. What were doing here is more than just conversing with each other. We are creating a record. A permanent one. If nothing else, maybe someday, possibly years from now, someone will come behind us and get some inspiration or find that one tidbit of information that we left behind because we didn't know what to do with it and use it to make some progress in a case. Who knows?
I fully expect and hope for DDP and others to continue their good work into the future but in the meantime. Happy sleuthing. Right? Right.
Right on!

The fact that not one, but two people with recognizable faces cannot be ID is interesting....loved ones scared to come forward? I think it was an execution. Shot three times in three different places, but spared the face and head...i believe to be recognized, as if to send a message...
In 1976, you didn't have cable news networks that broadcast worldwide, you didn't have the internet, and you didn't have communication between law enforcement agencies in different counties let alone different states or countries. Most people didn't even have color television sets; most people got their news from newspapers. If pictures of the two people had been distributed throughout Canada in 1976, then I think that they would have been identified long ago.
The two people were murdered while traveling across the US, so it may have been a long time before anyone realized that they were missing—and that's if anyone ever did. If they were estranged from their families, then it's likely that no missing persons reports were ever filed.

Thanks everybody for the inspiring answers. I can and will be keeping on to advocate for the less "popular" UID's. The ones I research are mostly the "underdogs", the so called (or at least threated as) under-people as it comes to the effort LE puts into it or have in the past. I'm happy to see this is changing through the years. And I say this with a lot of compassion and love for humans in general; the misfits (or what our society sees as misfits). Yes, "happy" sleuthing here.

And yes....I want to be a little bit more then a cheerleader (saying this with respect to all of the people of are or were, I think it's totally OK) In fact we don't even have them here (only with the -Dutch- American Football games) ;)

Last edited:
I may have missed a post but why are the DNA doe Project not working this? Is it because LE hasn't reached out to them? Seems like such an easy case to solve for a group with resources like that. Or maybe the local police enjoy the attention they get from an unsolved mystery?
I think there may be answers online, like "Lyle Stevik"'s brother was asking for him, maybe in old forgotten forums and search places.
This case is so solvable, why hasn't it been?

I may have missed a post but why are the DNA doe Project not working this? Is it because LE hasn't reached out to them? Seems like such an easy case to solve for a group with resources like that. Or maybe the local police enjoy the attention they get from an unsolved mystery?
I think there may be answers online, like "Lyle Stevik"'s brother was asking for him, maybe in old forgotten forums and search places.
I don't think anyone in Sumter county has taken any interest in the case since the retired coroner, Verna Moore.

For one thing I hope that Sumpter county LE, swallow there pride and recognize their mistakes, and let DNA Doe take a look at this case. It's been to long that this two beautiful people are unidentified.

Again....this case is ridicule in a lot of ways. In my heart there is a place for Jane and Jock...come on.....FGS.....and yes...if some brain cell (sorry) will take them to Doe DNA I will be gladly donating (if I find out a modern way to do it)

Last edited:
Yes, I do believe that the reason why the DDP isn't working on this case is because LE hasn't reached out to them. I wonder what can we do to inspire them to reach out to DDP? DNA Doe Project has a list of cases suggested to them by people and our mystery couple is on that list.

I'm sure Sumter County has numerous violent offenders at large, and they know that the likely perp in this case (Lonnie Henry) is dead and buried, so it isn't surprising that it's on the back burner. Pressure from the public might move the needle eventually.

I'm sure Sumter County has numerous violent offenders at large, and they know that the likely perp in this case (Lonnie Henry) is dead and buried, so it isn't surprising that it's on the back burner. Pressure from the public might move the needle eventually.

If their just gonna keep it on the back burner you would think that would be all the more reason to simply turn it over to someone else. One formal request is all it would take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaEvans52