Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #7 Pam Buckley & James P Freund

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have emailed the association of graduates from this prestigious school regarding the olive skin student I've spotted in a class photo.

They replied with a name and to my surprise it fits JPF!!! What are the chances??

I am looking in old newspapers for more info about his family.
But eventually, I would like some assistance if someone more experienced is interested to help me.

I would be happy to help.

What does this mean? TIA.
The DNA Doe Project publishes the number of DNA matches to each of their active cases a couple of times a month. This sheet shows the total number of decent matches (with segments over 10 centimorgans), the number of matches abover 40 centimorgans, and the amount of the highest match. To see what that means as far as a relationship to the Doe, you can plug the number of the highest match in here: Shared cM Project 4.0 Tool v4 with relationship probabilities

Last edited:
Are we allowed to post links to archived newspapers? I came across two articles that mentioned a teacher who was fired from an all girls school in 1976. The teacher is not named, but the school was. Also the teacher was apparently the only male teacher at the school. He was fired for being too popular and for wearing cut off jeans off of school property.

I think "Jock" had told the KOA employee that he had recently quit his job as a teacher. Could he have been fired, instead?

The DNA Doe Project publishes the number of DNA matches to each of their active cases a couple of times a month. This sheet shows the total number of decent matches (with segments over 10 centimorgans), the number of matches abover 40 centimorgans, and the amount of the highest match. To see what that means as far as a relationship to the Doe, you can plug the number of the highest match in here: Shared cM Project 4.0 Tool v4 with relationship probabilities
Thank you, and welcome to posting on WS! Glad you are here.

I have emailed the association of graduates from this prestigious school regarding the olive skin student I've spotted in a class photo.

They replied with a name and to my surprise it fits JPF!!! What are the chances??

I am looking in old newspapers for more info about his family.
But eventually, I would like some assistance if someone more experienced is interested to help me.

I got confirmation that the students in that class picture are 15-16 years old back in 1966.
Also, there is a man alive with the name I was given by the students association, I have emailed him on FB to confirm, although he doesn't have the same skin tone.

These are fairly good matches so far. Anything more than 40 centimorgans is going to be a 4th cousin. 74 centimorgans (with Jane Doe) is even better, perhaps a second or third cousin.

@DNA_Sleuth your chart at the link above is very helpful!
That would be low for a second cousin, but it isn't impossible.

According to the chart, the most likely relationship would be a second cousin twice removed or a third cousin. It could even be a fourth, fifth, or sixth cousin.

The average person has:
5 first cousins
28 second cousins
175 third cousins
1,570 fourth cousins
17,300 fifth cousins
174,000 sixth cousins

Cousin statistics - ISOGG Wiki

The number of matches that Jock and Jane have with at least 40 cm in common is on the low side. That makes me think that they may not be Americans or, if they are, their roots in the US may not go back very far.

That would be low for a second cousin, but it isn't impossible.

According to the chart, the most likely relationship would be a second cousin twice removed or a third cousin. It could even be a fourth, fifth, or sixth cousin.

The average person has:
5 first cousins
28 second cousins
175 third cousins
1,570 fourth cousins
17,300 fifth cousins
174,000 sixth cousins

Cousin statistics - ISOGG Wiki

The number of matches that Jock and Jane have with at least 40 cm in common is on the low side. That makes me think that they may not be Americans or, if they are, their roots in the US may not go back very far.

With family tree DNA databases, it shouldn't be too difficult to find the common ancestor for each. I do it all the time in my family tree at Ancestry.com. With distant cousins, it may take a while, the tools to do this research are improving.

Since we don't know the proportions for different countries represented in the family tree databases its still difficult to say where they were born. But their identities will likely be discovered soon.

Jumping in randomly. I've seen pages of comments about DNA, how it was solved recently in July 2020, but I can't find a link to the DNA analysis. Does anyone have a link to where the DNA is posted?

With family tree DNA databases, it shouldn't be too difficult to find the common ancestor for each. I do it all the time in my family tree at Ancestry.com. With distant cousins, it may take a while, the tools to do this research are improving.

Since we don't know the proportions for different countries represented in the family tree databases its still difficult to say where they were born. But their identities will likely be discovered soon.
You can find your common ancestor because your family tree is probably complete at least a few generations back and so are the other people's. We'll have to hope that Jane's strongest match knows his or her family tree.

And again, 4 matches with greater than 40 centimorgans is a low number. Look to see how many you have. I'll bet you a nickel you have more than 4.

Jumping in randomly. I've seen pages of comments about DNA, how it was solved recently in July 2020, but I can't find a link to the DNA analysis. Does anyone have a link to where the DNA is posted?
Hi Otto, The DNA Analysis is done by the DNA Doe Project team. It is not for public disclosure. What they do publicize are the numbers of matches they have for each of the public cases they are working on here: Doe Upload.xlsx This sheet will show the "Admixture" (Ethnicity) of the Doe, and links to the DNADoeProject.org website for the background on each case. I hope that answers your question. This case has not yet been solved. Were you talking about another case you saw solved in July?

Last edited:
You can find your common ancestor because your family tree is probably complete at least a few generations back and so are the other people's. We'll have to hope that Jane's strongest match knows his or her family tree.

And again, 4 matches with greater than 40 centimorgans is a low number. Look to see how many you have. I'll bet you a nickel you have more than 4.
*If you're white. If you're a POC you're much more likely to have very few to zero matches over 40 cM.

Hi Otto, The DNA Analysis is done by the DNA Doe Project team. It is not for public disclosure. What they do publicize are the numbers of matches they have for each of the public cases they are working on here: Doe Upload.xlsx This sheet will show the "Admixture" (Ethnicity) of the Doe, and links to the DNADoeProject.org website for the background on each case. I hope that answers your question. This case has not yet been solved. Were you talking about another case you saw solved in July?

Thank you. I was reading about the DNA analysis for these two murder victims and got the impression that their DNA has been analyzed and the results are complete. I assumed that was why there is discussion about DNA suggesting one origin over another.

Is there a particular case/number/identifier on that spread sheet that represents these two victims?

Thank you. I was reading about the DNA analysis for these two murder victims and got the impression that their DNA has been analyzed and the results are complete. I assumed that was why there is discussion about DNA suggesting one origin over another.

Is there a particular case/number/identifier on that spread sheet that represents these two victims?

They are listed as Sumter Jane Doe and Sumter Jock Doe. Hope that helps!

*If you're white. If you're a POC you're much more likely to have very few to zero matches over 40 cM.
I hadn't considered the ethnic angle. I uploaded one of my older relative's DNA into GED Match, and she has 17 matches with an individual segment of DNA of 40 centimorgans or greater in common. She has 43 matches with 40 or more total centigrams in common. (She is a white American woman in her sixties.)

Does the DNA Doe Project use GED Match for profiles, or does that group have its own database? I wasn't sure about that.

I hadn't considered the ethnic angle. I uploaded one of my older relative's DNA into GED Match, and she has 17 matches with an individual segment of DNA of 40 centimorgans or greater in common. She has 43 matches with 40 or more total centigrams in common. (She is a white American woman in her sixties.)

Does the DNA Doe Project use GED Match for profiles, or does that group have its own database? I wasn't sure about that.
GEDmatch and FamilyTreeDNA I think. Not too sure but I think the latter has a larger database & charges a fee for law enforcement uploads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod