Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James Freund #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this mentioning of Sunlending in the Billboard Campus Attractions dated March 25th 1972 on Page 118

"SUNLENDING
(Vocal & Instrumental Group-3); BA: Projects IV; PM. Keith Christianson"

Anyone in the music industry know what PM stands for ? could it be Project Manager ?

I'm in the search of their music catalogue.

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Billboard/70s/1972/BB-1972-03-25-II.pdf

I don’t know if many 12 hour days putting together beer joint gigs for 40 bucks is being “in the industry” but I think you are right on PM. I’m unsure because project managers usually are more involved in studio production than live shows where it would be a stage or tour manager. We never had any of that so I’m guessing on this.

I found this mentioning of Sunlending in the Billboard Campus Attractions dated March 25th 1972 on Page 118

"SUNLENDING
(Vocal & Instrumental Group-3); BA: Projects IV; PM. Keith Christianson"

Anyone in the music industry know what PM stands for ? could it be Project Manager ?

I'm in the search of their music catalogue.

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Billboard/70s/1972/BB-1972-03-25-II.pdf

I don’t know if many 12 hour days putting together beer joint gigs for 40 bucks is being “in the industry” but I think you are right on PM. I’m unsure because project managers usually are more involved in studio production than live shows where it would be a stage or tour manager. We never had any of that so I’m guessing on this.

Looks like "Projects IV" mentioned in the book is the name of the management company. Here's an article on Michael Johnson that briefly mentions Projects IV and Keith Christianson:
Michael Johnson: Little Bit

So it appears Mr. Christianson was developing artists in the Minneapolis area in hopes of getting them signed to major record labels. The article also mentioned Michael playing Bronco Bar in Chanhassen, just like Sunlending - Mr. Christianson must have booked that venue frequently for his acts.

This does make me wonder if Pamela left Colorado in December of 1975 hoping to restart her music career.

Here's an article from the July 1, 1972 issue of Billboard about Project IV and Keith Christianson using videotapes to audition artists for college bookings. It's possible that Sunlending recorded one of these videos.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-31-at-1-42-44-PM.png

More Sunlending stuff found on newspapers.com... I found a different picture of them, from a newspaper ad in Minneapolis, October 1971.
I also found shows for the following locations:
Taos, NM
Greeley, CO
Sioux Falls, SD

Looks like they had a bit of a residency in Taos, NM at The Country Club Inn.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-31-at-2-01-46-PM.png

Looks like "Projects IV" mentioned in the book is the name of the management company. Here's an article on Michael Johnson that briefly mentions Projects IV and Keith Christianson:
Michael Johnson: Little Bit

So it appears Mr. Christianson was developing artists in the Minneapolis area in hopes of getting them signed to major record labels. The article also mentioned Michael playing Bronco Bar in Chanhassen, just like Sunlending - Mr. Christianson must have booked that venue frequently for his acts.

This does make me wonder if Pamela left Colorado in December of 1975 hoping to restart her music career.

His obit said that 2 of his artists did something at the natl level but was vague. I wondered if she left for music too but why not NY, LA, or Nashville. Other than Macon GA and Nash, there wasn’t much for music dreams to chase in the south at that time.

I've been googling Sunlending every day hoping that someone has a recording or photos that theyput up onto the web now that Pamela and James identities are known.

Came across this old add from Greeley Colorado, published Thurs, Dec 2nd 1971, in the Greeley Daily Tribune

SEE AND HEAR SUNLENDING Monday thru Saturday 9 p . m . t o 2 a . m . Sunday 8 p.m; to 12 Midnight Located on the back side of the now Hillside Mall Shopping Center 2656 11th Avenue, Greeley

Greeley Daily Tribune from Greeley, Colorado on December 2, 1971 · Page 34 (newspapers.com)

If anyone has access to Newspapers.com, there is another add for Sunlending here with a new photo we haven't seen yet. I am unable to get it open.

Browse Newspapers — Newspapers.com
15 Oct 1971, Minneapolis Star Tribune, Page 20.

I've been googling Sunlending every day hoping that someone has a recording or photos that theyput up onto the web now that Pamela and James identities are known.

Came across this old add from Greeley Colorado, published Thurs, Dec 2nd 1971, in the Greeley Daily Tribune

Greeley Daily Tribune from Greeley, Colorado on December 2, 1971 · Page 34 (newspapers.com)

If anyone has access to Newspapers.com, there is another add for Sunlending here with a new photo we haven't seen yet. I am unable to get it open.

Browse Newspapers — Newspapers.com
15 Oct 1971, Minneapolis Star Tribune, Page 20.

I posted the photo a few posts above :)

Hi, just jumping in here, I read that Henry was a recovering alcoholist.
The conclusion of his polygraph raised more questions, then answers from what I read.. Could be that he had a black out, due to alcohol, and when asked if he killed them. Given the times of the murders... #happendatmidnight.He couldn't remember? What he was doing around that time/day...maybe a drinking day...?!
Is there more known about his brother/family?
Also, it was 1976,have no clue how accurate a polygraph test was..

Also from my memory, must have read, that both victims hands were described as clean and manicured, so Imo, I rule James out of work as a mechanic, during the last weeks of his travels.
But that's MOO.
Who ever took off with the van(?) had their possessions on board. There was never a mention of unclaimed personal items, otherwise.. I would guess, they would have been ID-ed, soon after..
^MOO^

Thanks for this info. It sounds like they saw holes in his story and as I’ve heard LE say, believing something doesn’t prove it. They knew that gun was important.)

From what I remember, the polygraph read that he didn't kill them, but when the question who did, the test results showed deciption. But because of his (recovering) alcoholic, who's to say?
Imo, funny how he end up with the 'possible' smoking gun!

Anyway, a share, about the current events

Polygraph tests are a pseudoscience at best. There are very simple ways to manipulate the polygraph to get the results that you want, and people who are anxious and/or have high blood pressure can easily have the polygraph results misread as guilty even if they are innocent. Even though I don't think Lonnie Henry definitively killed them, I wouldn't take the polygraphs too seriously. Also, polygraph readers have been known to be biased.

I think it will be hard to find vehicle registrations because we don't know if it was Pamela or James' vehicle that they were travelling in, or if they bought a car off the books and didn't register it, or if they were possibly hitchhiking (again, I doubt that, but who knows). Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and Colorado are all possible states, but we don't know all the details of their lives, so they easily could've lived in and registered a car in another state.

Conference also stated the shots to the back of the head also had entrance and exit wounds. It's entirely possible the the exit wounds were to the throat or chin I guess. Would depend the angle the shot was taken from. There's a pic of Pamela out there and something is going on with the underneath of her chin it seems.

Since only Pamela had the bloody spot around her chin and throat area, I assume she was shot from a different angle than James for the bullet to take the trajectory to exit from there. I don't believe we could see where James's headshot exit wounds were. Because the angle it would take for a shot to the back of the head to exit in the throat would probably be weird (not a gun or forensics expert, obviously), I wonder if Pamela was either shot first and James after the killer gained confidence, or if the killer somewhat hesitated before shooting Pamela. Just some thoughts.

Polygraph tests are a pseudoscience at best. There are very simple ways to manipulate the polygraph to get the results that you want, and people who are anxious and/or have high blood pressure can easily have the polygraph results misread as guilty even if they are innocent. Even though I don't think Lonnie Henry definitively killed them, I wouldn't take the polygraphs too seriously. Also, polygraph readers have been known to be biased.

I think it will be hard to find vehicle registrations because we don't know if it was Pamela or James' vehicle that they were travelling in, or if they bought a car off the books and didn't register it, or if they were possibly hitchhiking (again, I doubt that, but who knows). Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and Colorado are all possible states, but we don't know all the details of their lives, so they easily could've lived in and registered a car in another state.

Since only Pamela had the bloody spot around her chin and throat area, I assume she was shot from a different angle than James for the bullet to take the trajectory to exit from there. I don't believe we could see where James's headshot exit wounds were. Because the angle it would take for a shot to the back of the head to exit in the throat would probably be weird (not a gun or forensics expert, obviously), I wonder if Pamela was either shot first and James after the killer gained confidence, or if the killer somewhat hesitated before shooting Pamela. Just some thoughts.

There is a low quality photo of James at the crime scene, with a smear of blood to the right of his neck, and what appears to be a hole in it. It makes me think that it's the exit wound.

There is a low quality photo of James at the crime scene, with a smear of blood to the right of his neck, and what appears to be a hole in it. It makes me think that it's the exit wound.

Thank you, this made me Google it and I see what you mean. Their exit wounds actually weren't very far apart so I guess discard my theory!

Thank you, this made me Google it and I see what you mean. Their exit wounds actually weren't very far apart so I guess discard my theory!

You make some good points in your earlier post. I’ve been thinking they were both murdered quick considering how they were found and the murderer probably wanting to get out of there. Is this the pic from a paper that was posted earlier or what did you put in the search to get those images?

You make some good points in your earlier post. I’ve been thinking they were both murdered quick considering how they were found and the murderer probably wanting to get out of there. Is this the pic from a paper that was posted earlier or what did you put in the search to get those images?

Google "Sumter County Does Crime Scene" ... photos. 2nd pic seems to be her with bullet would on right of neck. 1st pic seems to be him with wound just below the right ear.

They must have been found on their backs too because there is obviously blood running from her wound downwards towards the ground and gravity don't work uphill..

Google "Sumter County Does Crime Scene" ... photos. 2nd pic seems to be her with bullet would on right of neck. 1st pic seems to be him with wound just below the right ear.

They must have been found on their backs too because there is obviously blood running from her wound downwards towards the ground and gravity don't work uphill..

Many thanks, I found them.

And I’m confused a bit. I guess they may have moved them some at the scene as i seen pics of James with his head to the left and arms down, another has his hand near his head. I see your point about the blood too. Also, a pic of Pamela shows what looks to be cloth strung out to her left, I didn’t see that in another pic. His (James) hair is longer than I’m used to seeing as well.
In a close up of James, where he is turned left, I can see a dark spot on the right side, close to the ear, that I can’t tell if it’s hair or what would be bruising, like from an internal injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa