CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that they kept reporting that he died from a gunshot wound to the chest/upper torso (depending on the source) but on Wednesday, the coroner's report said that he died of a bullet to the head? After calling the ME's office, they confirmed the bullet announcement from Wednesday but said that they are now under order not to discuss anything. Apparently the order came after the announcement. They would neither confirm nor deny the shot to the upper torso. Someone had posted there were two holes in the tent. Perhaps he was shot twice.
Maybe LE purposely disclosed the 'upper torso wound' when that wasn't true? Is it normal for LE to announce false info in order to confuse or trick the suspect? I don't know.:confused:

Delete.....

That floppy disk icon isn't in this toolbar.

About the voluntary detention center... the previous shooting dates released, November 3 2016 (birdshot victim,) was a Thursday. The couple in their car is an unknown January date 2017, June 6 2017 was a Tuesday and July 22 2017 was a Saturday, June 18 2018 was a Monday. TB was killed last Friday. What are the check in and out times on Friday and Monday? Depending on time of check out, at least a few of these shootings could be detention center occupants “spending their weekends” in the woods. I’m also not sure how easy it is to check out for an errand or sneak out of this place. Just a thought, considering the closeness of location.

January 7, 2017 is the date when the couple in the car was shot at (per Meliss Tatangelo's Facebook post that was embedded in an article I posted early this morning)

Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that they kept reporting that he died from a gunshot wound to the chest/upper torso (depending on the source) but on Wednesday, the coroner's report said that he died of a bullet to the head? After calling the ME's office, they confirmed the bullet announcement from Wednesday but said that they are now under order not to discuss anything. Apparently the order came after the announcement. They would neither confirm nor deny the shot to the upper torso. Someone had posted there were two holes in the tent. Perhaps he was shot twice.

I find it frustrating that the Sheriff's department appears to have missed the head wound. I'm thinking blood from the head wound ran down and soaked Tristan's shirt. And the Sheriff's deputies or park police (or both) thought the bleeding was from his chest/upper torso. I'm assuming Tristan was wearing a shirt because if he had been bare chested it should have been that much more obvious.

I read the ME's announcement before it was pulled (sorry, I didn't think to take a screen shot & post it). It was brief, essentially a list.
The cause of death was a gunshot wound to the head.
I don't remember the exact wording, but on the list there was a line for other wounds that could have contributed to death (or similar wording), and in the space next to it was none, or no, or similar.
Yes, he could have also been shot (or maybe grazed) in the upper torso/chest, but it would have been a more minor injury.

The head wound appears to have been missed, but hopefully not by the detectives/investigators before the body was taken away.

So I’ve been playing in google satellite. I think I have read they were in spot 49 & 51 which is in the NE of the campgrounds.

Going to check out the David Gonzalez Camp school to the south, some sort of summer camp would go with the summer shootings.

That's a low security juvenile teaching detention center. They are low risk juvenile offenders that take classes and do agriculture work on the premises as a training program. Each time I drove Malibu Canyon Road to get to work, someone would turn into their driveway, so it is still being used to some degree.

This area is beautiful, but has always been creepy to me, especially late at night. After hearing about all of these shootings, I will be taking Kanan Dume Rd instead. This is the same area where Mitrice Richardson went missing, and a couple miles from where her remains were found. It has the same unsettling vibe to me as the Sonora Pass Highway.

MOO, but my thoughts are, if all of these shootings are related and are not a hit:
  • mentally ill ex-military sniper with a scope, or
  • park ranger, ex-park ranger etc., ex-LE or wanna-be LE.
  • Disgruntled resident (choosing to shoot at a Tesla is interesting, IMO).

Marking up my satellite views seems to have worked. Yellow is the Hindu Temple, Red is the pull off and Blue is the entrance to the possibly defunct Juvenile Court Camp.
I've seen it asked but not verified whether the David Gonzalez Camp School is currently in use or not, as I'm a few pages behind. But US News lists it with 39 students (11th and 12th grade males) and 3 staff as of 2015-16 in their "best high schools" issue, so it's possible it is active and people are on site. https://www.usnews.com/education/be...ffice-of-education/gonzales-david-camp-138416

I've seen it asked but not verified whether the David Gonzalez Camp School is currently in use or not, as I'm a few pages behind. But US News lists it with 39 students (11th and 12th grade males) and 3 staff as of 2015-16 in their "best high schools" issue, so it's possible it is active and people are on site. https://www.usnews.com/education/be...ffice-of-education/gonzales-david-camp-138416

Nice find. I think you are right that this proves it is in use.

Most all 12th graders.

The theory about the shooter being possibly affiliated with this school either in the past or present is very possible to me.

A homeowner or resident nearby there that may be mad at campers has also been something Ive been tossing around as a possible theory. I was surprised to read in one of the articles that there were residences near there.

Bumping up my post from earlier in the thread. Seems some missed it. Continuing to disregard this rule may result in the issuing of warning points which when accrued may result in the loss of posting privileges.

Thank you. I realize that people are curious and there are some things about this which make complete sense to me (because although in a different field from TB's wife, I am also a physician mom) but I suppose may plant seeds of doubt regarding Dr. Wu's character.

Let me assure my websleuth friends that:
-Many female physicians especially those who practiced and built a career under our maiden name do not change our name with marriage (full disclosure: my husband and I are both physicians--we have different last names) yet remain completely committed and faithful to our spouses and marriages.
-Dads can (and IMO, should) parent! My husband is not a camper but he has taken our children to park, playground, etc while I have been busy at the hospital running codes. I do similar things when he works but it doesn't seem out of the norm to society at large.
-Board exams are kind of a big deal. I think it is incredibly awesome that TB planned to take the kids camping the night before his wife's MFM (Ob Gyn subspecialty) boards. Obviously I'm sure in retrospect she wishes she hadn't let him but who would imagine what would happen.
-Since Dr. Wu just finished up her fellowship this would be a very reasonable time for the family to be relocating for her first MFM attending position. I wouldn't look askance at the timing of any of this other than I can't imagine what she and her children are going through right now and not that there would be any good time for her husband to be senselessly killed but I suppose this happening on top of job change and relocation challenges just makes it all even harder. Of course all of the annoyances and hurdles of moving, obtaining privileges at new hospitals etc probably no longer even register on her radar as she deals with this.
-

Thank you. I realize that people are curious and there are some things about this which make complete sense to me (because although in a different field from TB's wife, I am also a physician mom) but I suppose may plant seeds of doubt regarding Dr. Wu's character.

-Many female physicians especially those who practiced and built a career under our maiden name do not change our name with marriage (full disclosure: my husband and I are both physicians--we have different last names) yet remain completely committed and faithful to our spouses and marriages.
-Dads can (and IMO, should) parent! My husband is not a camper but he has taken our children to park, playground, etc while I have been busy at the hospital running codes. I do similar things when he works but it doesn't seem out of the norm to society at large.
-Board exams are kind of a big deal. I think it is incredibly awesome that TB planned to take the kids camping the night before his wife's MFM (Ob Gyn subspecialty) boards. Obviously I'm sure in retrospect she wishes she hadn't let him but who would imagine what would happen.
-Since Dr. Wu just finished up her fellowship this would be a very reasonable time for the family to be relocating for her first MFM attending position. I wouldn't look askance at the timing of any of this other than I can't imagine what she and her children are going through right now and not that there would be any good time for her husband to be senselessly killed but I suppose this happening on top of job change and relocation challenges just makes it all even harder. Of course all of the annoyances and hurdles of moving, obtaining privileges at new hospitals etc probably no longer even register on her radar as she deals with this.
-
Thank you for this post. On top of everything you mentioned, Dr. Wu probably missed the exam too.

I saw some questions about the a friend set up. Lots of ridicule about it online elsewhere.

This couple seems young in their careers. She was taking a test so maybe not completely practicing yet?

Scientists don't make as much as people think although private sector does better than academics.

They likely have incredible student loans.

They were in the middle of moving so they likely are low on savings.

She just lost half the family income.

Funerals are expensive.

When your spouse gets murdered it's kind of hard to work.

I'm always shocked by how many people find 's in these situations to be greedy or suspicious.

These are the worst times in a person's life. No ability to function. Tremendous loss of income.

These cooperative funding sites can make things a tiny bit easier on traumatized, grieving people as they navigate the hellish reality they're in.

In days past people indeed bought casseroles but they also watched kids, sometimes for weeks, collected money to help with funeral costs and chipped in on work that needed to be done like home repair, livestock handling, and harvesting.

Nowadays there are many funds for the families of LE who are killed. They get paid well, and have good life insurnace typically. But I don't hear people complain about their funds often.

It makes me sad that these funds are what people chose to focus on at a time like this.

For this family, their lives are destroyed right now. The monies are a ray of hope. It saddens me how that can be criticized or scrutinized.

She had just finished her MFM (ie high risk OB) fellowship. This is a 3 year fellowship after 4 years of Ob residency after 4 years of medical school (generally after 4 years of undergrad). Typical residency/fellow salary is around mid 5 figures. Many residents/fellows have mid six figure level debt (that many allow to multiply exponentially during residency).

Maybe LE purposely disclosed the 'upper torso wound' when that wasn't true? Is it normal for LE to announce false info in order to confuse or trick the suspect? I don't know.:confused:

To answer your question, yes it is. I see it all the time on Forensic Files. There is much on this available for research as far as ruses, etc.

An example:

"In reality, the FBI agents consulted with the Seattle Times and did not exactly replicate their website, but wanted to lure their suspect into believing it was a real news story. The furor over the FBI’s actions raise two big questions: can the FBI or any other law enforcement agency (or private investigators) engage in pretexts during the course of an investigation And, what means do investigators have in the digital era to identify or trick potential suspects or targets?

Pretexts, especially in undercover operations and certain law enforcement and private investigations, are a recognized and needed law enforcement tool that has been sanctioned by courts throughout the United States, although with some caveats. Many investigations, by necessity, involve the use of deception in order to identify and catch suspects. They can result in producing incriminating evidence and inculpatory statements by criminals that can later provide the critical proof required for conviction."

Snip

"In my career I have developed and executed many of them, especially in murder cases where the only way to solve the crime was to elicit incriminating statements from perpetrators. In such cases, very carefully structured and often complex scenarios are fabricated to fool the target."

Yes, Associated Press, Cops Can Lie To Catch Bad Guys

To Ruse Or Not To Ruse » CriminalJusticeDegree.com
"In my police career, I have claimed to have evidence which did not exist and used many other ruses in order to extract information. Whether it is lying to a suspect, using a scheme, or introducing a staged event, the public still criticizes the legitimacy of police craftiness."

Police use 'fake news' in gang ruse; media criticize tactics as dishonest

""It was a moral and ethical decision, and I stand by it," Martin said Friday. "I am keenly aware and sensitive to the community and the media. I also had 21 bodies lying in the city in the last 15 months."

The phony announcement issued in February was discovered in court documents and reported only this week by the Santa Maria Sun, a weekly newspaper in the city 140 miles northwest of Los Angeles."

I can site some WS examples as well, one of my favorites was when the police had the husband, who they already kneew was the killer at the time, purposely go on TV at a PC and make him plead for his wife's safe return...it'll take me a MI ute to remember her name...J....? I don't want to get too o/t, but yes, yes, LE can cerrrrtainly say whatever they want even if its false to make sure they have they catch right guy. Jmo.

https://harvardlawreview.org/2015/04/bait-mask-and-ruse/
"Deception and enticement have long been tools of the police, but new technologies have enabled investigative deceit to become more powerful and pervasive."

"The criminals have no idea that they are being deceived by the police, but courts have held that this is not a
violation of their constitutional rights.12 In fact, such deceptive actions are
a necessary and effective method for fighting crime. Without such latitude,
citizens could be subjected to all the various ills that crime produces.13 As
such, all law-abiding citizens count on the government to provide some
measure of protection against crime. In turn, these citizens place a great
deal of trust in their law enforcement officers."
Link

The Lawful Use of Deception

"As the U.S. Supreme Court has repeatedly acknowledged, "Criminal activity is such that stealth and strategy are necessary weapons in the arsenal of the police officer." (Sorrells v. U.S.) "Nor will the mere fact of deceit defeat a prosecution, for there are circumstances when the use of deceit is the only practicable law enforcement technique available." (U.S. v. Russell)

What kinds of stratagems, ruses, trickery, and subterfuge might you use to develop admissible evidence of a suspect's guilt? The general rule is that deception can be used as long as it is not likely to induce an innocent person to commit a crime or to confess to a crime that he or she did not commit. Many familiar examples have been reviewed in decisions of the Supreme Court."

Last edited:
The newspapers are slowly getting out more information. I hope one of them is putting together a map of all the shooting locations. That would really help us too.

I found this that says the lady in the car was definitely at Malibu state park. Pictures of slug at link too.

"Last night I came out to Malibu State Park with the boyfriend to camp out for the night. It was cold and rainy and the campground was pretty empty. We parked away from the other campers,"

5 Shootings Near Malibu Park Within 2 Years, Are They Connected?

I also found this today that gives a little information about the location of the guy in the hammock.

"Rogers' campsite was within about a mile of where Beaudette was shot and killed."

After father's mysterious slaying at campsite, stories emerge of past shooting incidents

One thing I took from these articles is the fact that the individuals didn't realize there were gunshots.

The one person shot didn't realize it till the pellets were falling out of his arm (could be due to deep sleep/shock?)

The one couple just heard a thump didn't realize it was gunshot till they went for coffee. When the couple went back to the park, the camp host
thought he heard a gunshot wasn't sure where it was coming from.
Other campers questioned by the camp host heard something but didn't realize it was a gunshot.

I'm waiting for more information to be released, because we don't know whether there were more 911 calls, who heard what, when, etc but it does seem plausible others didn't either hear or might not have known what they heard were gunshots. The couple said LE thought 20 feet for there incident. After writing all this I'm not sure what I'm really trying to say here. This
information can be completely irrelevant to this incident. Lol

I am leaning towards serial shooter though. IMHO

Maybe someone else will have better luck with satellite views, I can’t seem to get mine to up load. I will try again later. There appears to be a pull off east south east of the campground. Just beyond that is the entrance to David Gonzales Camp School which appears to be a male Juvenille Court School by a google search that shows closed in 1986 but there was an article about it in 1995. Anyone local know if it’s operating? Is is shut down, is there access? Also see Camp Gillmore off Mesa Creek Motorway. They seem to have a camp in session if I’m reading their page right and and have an Air Rifle range.

(Man, I wish you were around for the NOCO case. We really could have used you Tbone144! And all you guys here!)

For those who were puzzled like I have been with why LE referenced upper torso vs Coroner's head location of the gunshot in reading Malibu Times updates, LE Rodney "Moore specified "because of the conditions of the body" at the time he was found, it was not immediately known whether victim had been shot in his head or upper torso." Updated: Man Shot Dead in Malibu Creek State Park Friday Morning
----------------------

Also, the following information are excerpts from an excellent forensics pathologist's article that I just read that has helped me understand some terms better: 7 Common Mistakes Regarding Autopsy Reports

A coroner is not the same thing as a medical examiner

Both a coroner and a medical examiner perform forensic death investigations—examinations into the circumstances of any death that is sudden, unexpected or violent. The crucial difference is this: A coroner is an administrator or law enforcement officer, and a medical examiner is a doctor. A medical examiner is a forensic pathologist, a physician with specialized training in death investigation. In a medical examiner's office, a doctor called the chief medical examiner is in charge of both the death investigation and overseeing the autopsies performed by other doctors. Consider whether the office calls itself a "Coroner" or "Medical Examiner.” The terms aren’t interchangeable.

Homicide is not the same thing as murder

Homicide means "death at the hand of another." Intent is not a factor—only a volitional act is required. It’s up to the district attorney to determine whether it is in the state’s interest to charge the defendant with murder or manslaughter, or not press any charge at all. Even if the DA does not press charges, or the defendant is prosecuted but acquitted, that fatal event is still a homicide. But it is not a murder. Calling a homicide a murder does not fall within the purview of the agency performing the forensic death investigation. That’s a job for the DA, judge or jury.

Don't confuse the autopsy with the death investigation

The autopsy pathologist can only tell so much from a dead body. Trying to figure out the cause of death from a dead body alone without knowing anything about the scene, circumstances, or medical history of the decedent would be like a surgeon coming in to perform surgery on an unconscious patient without the benefit of a physical exam, medical records or X-rays. So do not expect the release of any information about an autopsy on a high-profile case—especially if it’s a homicide—as soon as the autopsy is done. The autopsy is just one piece of a long process that results in a cause of death determination.

The first legally-mandated autopsy done by the coroner or ME's pathologist is an independent autopsy. Everything else is not.

“Independent" means not influenced by anything or anyone. During that first autopsy, the forensic pathologist collects trace evidence, has photographs taken, and makes incisions into the body that literally alter the evidence. Even if this pathologist were to face political or bureaucratic pressure to interpret the findings a certain way, the physical evidence of the first forensic autopsy will become public record and will be used in court. Any pathologist hired by attorneys, the decedent's family, or anyone else to perform a second autopsy is not "independent." He or she is a retained expert. That means if his findings are not helpful to the family's attorney, they don't have to disclose them. At all.

Forensic pathologists are doctors, not police officers and are not in the business of covering up for anyone. While they may rely on good relationships with the police department in order to get the information they need to do their job, they are committed to doing that job properly, for very good reasons—if they do not, they will either lose that job, or ruin their relationship with their own boss (the Coroner or medical examiner) in order to please an outside agency (the police).

-

Thank you for your very intelligent, sensitive and compassionate post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member