VT Nancy Gale Erickson, 21, Brattleboro, 3 October 1973

chaddylex

Verified local - Rebecca Stahl case
Reaction score
Looks like Nancy was just added to NamUs
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail

Case Information

Demographics
Missing Age 21 Years
Current Age 70 Years
First Name Nancy
Middle Name Gale
Last Name Erickson
Nickname/Alias--

Sex Female
Height5' 2" - 5' 5" (62 - 65 Inches)
Weight115 - 125 lbs
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last Contac tOctober 3, 1973
NamUs Case Created December 16, 2021
Last Known Location Map
Location Brattleboro, Vermont 05301
County Windham County
Missing From Tribal Land No
Primary Residence on Tribal Land No
Circumstances of Disappearance Erickson disappeared from a halfway house on Elliot Terrace in Brattleboro where she had been staying in the fall of 1973. Her last sighting that can be confirmed at this point is 10/03/1973 at court in Brattleboro.
Physical Description
Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description Long, dark brown (almost naturally black)
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye Color Brown
Right Eye Color Brown

Nancy Gale Erickson – The Charley Project
Added to the Charley Project with more info.
Erickson was last seen in Brattleboro, Vermont on October 3, 1973. She had come up to Vermont from Florida, and was arrested for stealing a car. She told the police she had only six cents in cash on her and had been on her way to visit friends in the White River Junction area when her car ran out of gas.

Erickson was placed on probation for the auto theft and sent to live in a halfway house in Brattleboro. Her family mailed her some clothes, but they were returned, and they contacted the halfway house to find out why. This was when they found out she had checked out on October 3 and never came back. She has never been heard from again.

In 1985, eight years after Erickson's disappearance, her father died. He left her an inheritance estimated to be worth about $1,500 to $2,000, but she never collected it. Her mother died in 1986. Erickson's siblings are still alive, though, and hope for answers in her case. They do not know why she was in Vermont or who she planned to visit in White Junction when she was arrested.

She got a nursing degree at Corning Community College in New York, and worked as a registered nurse at Tampa General Hospital prior to going to Vermont. Her case remains unsolved.

Nancy Gale Erickson – The Charley Project
Added to the Charley Project with more info.
Erickson was last seen in Brattleboro, Vermont on October 3, 1973. She had come up to Vermont from Florida, and was arrested for stealing a car. She told the police she had only six cents in cash on her and had been on her way to visit friends in the White River Junction area when her car ran out of gas.

Erickson was placed on probation for the auto theft and sent to live in a halfway house in Brattleboro. Her family mailed her some clothes, but they were returned, and they contacted the halfway house to find out why. This was when they found out she had checked out on October 3 and never came back. She has never been heard from again.

In 1985, eight years after Erickson's disappearance, her father died. He left her an inheritance estimated to be worth about $1,500 to $2,000, but she never collected it. Her mother died in 1986. Erickson's siblings are still alive, though, and hope for answers in her case. They do not know why she was in Vermont or who she planned to visit in White Junction when she was arrested.

She got a nursing degree at Corning Community College in New York, and worked as a registered nurse at Tampa General Hospital prior to going to Vermont. Her case remains unsolved.

Thanks for posting and what a strange case. I really what made her go to Vermont if she was from Florida.

How do you just “check out” of a halfway house? Wouldn’t that be a violation of probation and possibly cause for a warrant to be issued for her? Maybe things were different then.

Mystery in the Mountains: The disappearance of Nancy Erickson​

The chronology is odd... The article is from the 5th of October: it said she was arrested on Tuesday night (2nd of October) and she was charged the next day (3rd of October) and sentenced to two months on probation on the transition house... We must assume Nancy disappeared the very day of the trial. In that case, did she really make it into the house? Did any police officer go with her? However, on NamUs: Erickson disappeared from a halfway house on Elliot Terrace in Brattleboro where she had been staying in the fall of 1973. Her probation report documents that she left the halfway house and her job on 10/30/1973 and has not been heard from since. According to this, Nancy vanished on 30th of October.
Why didn't they inform the family? She was a fugitive so, did LE try to locate her? Is there any other article about her?
The journey and her explanation of the car theft is weird (to say the least): all of a sudden, Nancy decided to go to Vermont to visit a friend (who has no telephone, so I imagine it was a surprise, because that friend would have showed up); she didn't say a thing about her journey to her family and no one knows who the friend was.
Nancy had a history of depression and worked in a hospital... May she have been under the influence of a drug? Perphaps she wanted to run away, just being somewhere else, and invented all the story about the friend.

I think I went through the Doe Network
For all these years I have been submitting possible matches, I think maybe once like 15 years ago I submitted to The Doe Network. (not sure why I never had)

Hopefully, I hear back even if it was a rule out or not, but not holding my breath.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back