Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #2

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by BetteDavisEyes, Mar 12, 2019.

1. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

College coaches indicted in admissions bribery case

Boston – College coaches and others have been charged in a sweeping admissions bribery case unsealed in federal court.

The racketeering conspiracy charges unveiled Tuesday were brought against the coaches at schools including Wake Forest University, Georgetown and the University of Southern California.

Authorities say the coaches accepted bribes in exchange for admitting students as athletes, regardless of their ability...

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2019 at 3:36 PM
    human likes this.
  2. human

human Well-Known Member

Did Loughlin go to college? Maybe she was going to be into the college parent scene. Games, homecoming, what else?

Barnabas likes this.
  3. scdiv

scdiv Well-Known Member

Oh yea, Caplan's wife is the one who said, “To be honest, I’m not worried about the moral issue here. I’m worried about the, if she’s caught doing that, you know, she’s finished.”

Yes!! The whole thing is sick! Singer told them that "Caplan’s daughter had “to be stupid” when she was getting tested for a learning disability to ensure she got the extra time." Talk about a prestigious label to put on your kid.

Cubby, SoBu, sassyblue and 7 others like this.
  4. scdiv

scdiv Well-Known Member

Pictures for social media and "likes" .....

neesaki, kimpage, monkey222 and 4 others like this.
  5. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

CalmSeas, Sunny123, neesaki and 4 others like this.
  6. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

She bragged repeatedly while grinning like a Cheshire Cat about her wonderful daughters who were college bound. Gag.

Sunny123, BeachSky, SoBu and 9 others like this.
  7. squareandrabbet

squareandrabbet Well-Known Member

Interesting...

USC Stands Behind Its Athletic Director Lynn Swann Despite Charges Against Those Under Him

... but posted primarily because I thought this was a good nutshell for folks who haven't read the charging documents...

8. Mercedes

Mercedes Verified Lawyer

Congratulations on your success.

9. monkey222

monkey222 Well-Known Member

A very gracious Thank You, Mercedes.

As you know, it is all in the journey.

And I wouldn't trade my fond memories of the Kmart prep trip and my precious dictionary for anything. That includes any glitter garbage from Amazon.

Really, these kids have no clue what achievement even means.

10. scdiv

scdiv Well-Known Member

They will probably cry in court or in their public rehabilitation tour about how they did this because they just loved their child soooooo much. (Although poor Felicity Huffman's other daughter.... did mom not love her as much for not going through with it?) But I don't think it really had that much to do with their kids. It just seems like it was all about what they get to tell their wealthy friends and social circles and puff piece magazine articles and television morning show interviews.

I saw in that article where it said that in a perverse way, some parents were thrilled to see that USC is being seen as elite, right in there with the same prestige as the Harvards and Yales and Ivy League schools....

"While the accused parents’ desperation for entrance to USC was mocked by many on social media, others saw it as a recognition, however perverse, of the university’s rapid rise in reputation and standards."

USC’s central role in college admissions scandal brings anger and dismay

I'm actually more shocked that they didn't have more strict cross checking of recruiting elite athletic talent.

I loved this tweet...great idea!

Sam Farmer ‏Verified account @LATimesfarmer
    On top of fines and jail time, the schools should have to start all the “players” it recruited.

Bravo, CalmSeas, SoBu and 19 others like this.
  11. monkey222

monkey222 Well-Known Member

Yes, I posted earlier re: putting the two fantasy coxswain daughters on board...on boat with the real USC crew girls. Let the games begin! :D Maybe the crew can have them row to Figi :)

Bravo, CalmSeas, BeachSky and 14 others like this.
  12. otto

otto Verified Expert

A bunch of stupid people's children acquiring credibility without merit? Only in the USA, you say?

scmom likes this.
  13. 1&2&3

1&2&3 Well-Known Member

I hope that each kid that was admitted through this scheme, is kicked out. If they are allowed to attend, then the college is just as guilty as the parents are.

Once this scheme came to light, the students do not have the right or privilege of continuing in their chosen university. More than likely, 95% of the students were aware of what their parents had done to get them accepted.
    The students carried no shame - the parents have always made sure their child had whatever they wanted.

My opinion only.

SugarQueen, neesaki, byo and 3 others like this.
  14. Trvl4Lyfe

Trvl4Lyfe Active Member

njlady, human, neesaki and 1 other person like this.
  15. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

I think it’s sad to see William H. Macy in this situation, because I really like him as an actor. IMO. But you have a valid point, he’s such a great actor , he could probably pull anything off. I have actually never heard of his wife so no idea about her. Jmo

16. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

I agree. I don’t see how they can be allowed to stay, they were admitted fraudently, how could they be considered legitimate students? Also wondering how their fellow students are going to react to all this, you know, the ones who worked their butts off, are indebted to school loans, and working night jobs and are legal.

GarAndTeed, Mercedes, Jax49 and 5 others like this.
  17. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

That’s what I’ve been wondering about! I’m sure all of the students involved are being targeted verbally by some fellow students and I imagine that it must be very uncomfortable for all involved. What a mess.

I half expected LL/MG/FH/WM to issue a statement via the PR rep but it’s been radio silence on both fronts. But I guess you can’t defend the indefensible. They’re all a bunch of cheaters & bribers.

Can you imagine how the other defendants in this case are being dealt with by their fellow employees? I mean the ones who are still employed. Most of them are top notch, high level CEO’s. How can any of them expect honesty and integrity from their workforce now that it’s public information that they were willing to lie/cheat/bribe on their spoiled kids’ behalf. Epic parent fail on all parts.

18. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Those kids are abused and neglected. They were raised in an environment of entitlement mentality without any moral or ethical values.

I seriously feel badly for those kids, they never had a chance to say, "No". Their parents narcissism meant that the kids were/are reflections of what the narcissistic parents wanted their children to be. Lori Loughlin wanted her daughter to go to USC, even though it is apparent her daughter has no real interest in a college degree, beyond decorating her dorm room.

I do feel badly for the kids involved, they never had a chance to understand what ethics are. No role models or examples from their parents.

19. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

Not only the admission issue, but what about their current attendance and grades?

Who is allowing them to not attend, not take exams, make up grades or get special priviledges?

I would think other students (like me) who Always attended classes, Always studied, Always prepped for exams and projects would be outraged to see these neer-do-well creeps out there flaunting their distain for the academic work that should be part of a degree.

Do you really thing Olivia Jade is getting up for 8 am classes and staying through the full day’s curriculum? That she goes back to a dorm room (like the one she promoted for Amazon’s marketing) to study 4 hours. That she sits an exam prepared and respectful of the curriculum?

These fraud kids all need to be removed.

20. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

GarAndTeed and SugarQueen like this.