Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now, probably the biggest hypocrite of all: Dr. Dre donated $70 million to USC and insists his daughter got into school on her own merit......

Dr Dre says his daughter got into USC on her own despite $70m donation | Daily Mail Online

Ah, the infamous back door. But at least it's not the side door! Nothing illegal, and I hope his daughter will do well academically. IMO they look a tad bit smug in the pics, leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, but at least all students get to benefit from this donation: "Their donation in 2013 went towards creating the USC Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young Academy for arts and technology." (from the link)

JMO

Yes That is true

But she could have been fairly anonymous with a last name of Young and out of the fray of this scandal if she wanted to, until Daddy opened his big mouth......

They've both now deleted their congratulatory posts

In reading all the articles and comments, these people got caught in 2019. The cheating has been going on for many years, before 2011. No one got caught until now. ALL universities and colleges need to investigate their “donations”, look at the ghost players, and other avenues of academics too, just not sports. This is not new they were caught.

This is huge. Think of the students that graduated by gaining admission illegally, got passing grades and some were not in class, then graduated with honors (or not) but serve the public as teachers, doctors, lawyers, executives, etc. That is scary.

As for the sentencing.....hit them where it hurts the pocket book. Then they need to do community service and not in their respected fields either. Work on road repairs in the hot sun, building homes for those that need one, cleaning up after hurricanes and floods, working with underprivileged children, cleaning the rooms that house people in need...I could go on....

That’s during the day, at night they go to a simple house with little accommodations and stay at night....no pretty home with servants.

5 year sentence sounds good. Yet this will not happen...most all will get a light sentence.

I believe most of the kids knew. They can do community service too. They want college start over as freshman. If the graduated, take the diploma away.

And how about having an everyday people, being the one to check on them, monitoring their work, time and making sure They are not bribing anyone.

Makes a person think about what else is going on....back to reading....well actually feeding the dogs first.

Former competitive rowers speak out about how Olivia Jade claimed to be part of an LA rowing club that didn't exist, while real estate developer's daughter pretended to be on their elite California team but didn't know what type of boat they used

Former competitive rowers speak out about college bribery scandal | Daily Mail Online

This is a really good article. I've been waiting to hear what the real athletes on these teams thought.
When you hear about how hard they train and how much time they devote to this - early early mornings, evenings, weekends. All their free time is taken up with these teams while these ne-er-do-well lazy rich kids are consumed with makeup and parties and clothes and NOT sacrificing.

And it makes very clear that Audrey Isackson and Olivia Jade were in on the scam.

This really makes my blood boil all over again.

And how pathetic do you have to be that your parents pay a fortune to get you into school? That Isackson kid and her sister, the Gianulli girls, and all the others named will be marked for life for what their greedy parents did.

This is a really good article. I've been waiting to hear what the real athletes on these teams thought.
When you hear about how hard they train and how much time they devote to this - early early mornings, evenings, weekends. All their free time is taken up with these teams while these ne-er-do-well lazy rich kids are consumed with makeup and parties and clothes and NOT sacrificing.

And it makes very clear that Audrey Isackson and Olivia Jade were in on the scam.

This really makes my blood boil all over again.

And how pathetic do you have to be that your parents pay a fortune to get you into school? That Isackson kid and her sister, the Gianulli girls, and all the others named will be marked for life for what their greedy parents did.

Will they? I don’t see it.

The rich do what they want.

Think of how so many reinvent themselves. Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, on and on

'[Olivia] is really angry with her parents because she told them she did not want to go to college and she was pushed,' the source added. 'She has been passionate about her career and wanted to work and was doing well, but that wasn't enough. Her parents said she would have to juggle college and her career.'

Ah, yes, her career. Putting on make-up in front of a webcam and posting endless selfies on Instagram. Who wouldn't be upset.

She was doing well because she was in high school and vlogged about makeup and such.

She claimed she didn't want to go to college, but I think she used USC as a platform to further her youtube audience. People tuned in to see her vlog about her life as a college student. If she didn't go to college, people would have been tuning in to someone else going to college.

She can't go back now. She is an admitted fraud (dropped out of college amid the scandal) which proves there is truth there. I doubt any of the big companies would hire her, they were bombarded by Instagram and Facebook posts by people who said if she continued to be their ambassador, they would never shop or buy their products again.

She needs to stop blaming her parents. She was well aware that she was accepted by USC using the side door (pictures of her on a rowing machine); hardly showing up for class, etc.

USC is thinking of revoking degrees for some alumni. Attorney Steve Meister says USC can and should take away the degrees of any alum found to have gotten in by fraud. USC has eight suspicious cases where alums used Singer's services and is considering revoking the degrees of any alums involved.

USC may revoke degrees in college scam

It appears that coaches and Singer employees have been summoned to court today:
  • Legendary USC water polo coach Jovan Vanvic, who has been fired by the school;
  • Laura Janke, the former USC women's socer coach;
  • Former Georgetown University tennis coach Gorden Ernst
  • Former UCLA men's head soccer coach Jorge Salcedo;
  • Former Wake Forest head volleyball coach William Ferguson;
  • Former USC women's head soccer coach Ali Khosroshahin.
  • Martin Fox, president of a Houston-area tennis academy, has also been ordered to appear in court. Fox, who is also involved in guiding student basketball players to college, allegedly accepted at least $250,000 in bribes to help Singer with both athlete recruitment and test-taking fraud.
  • Donna Heinel, the former senior associate athletic director at USC;
  • Some members Singer's inner circle, including his bookkeeper Steven Masera;
  • Mikaela Sanford, who was also employed by Singer, allegedly took online classes for certain students and is accused of "secretly taking" art history and biology classes so that the daughter of Robert Zangrillo, founder and CEO of Dragon Global, a Florida-based private investment firm, could get into USC.
  • Igor Dvorskiy and Niki Williams, who both served as a college entrance test adminitrators, are to appear in court Monday to face charges they both allowed Mark Riddell, a private school counselor in Florida, to take entrance exams for students or correct them on the sly. Riddell, 36, who is charged with two criminal charges of conspiracy to commit mail fraud, has apologized for his involvement in the scam.

Loughlin and Giannulli have also been ordered to appear in federal court in Boston in April [2].

Defendants charged in $25 million college entrance scam set to appear in Boston federal court

I see a possible path forward for Felicity Huffman - come clean, plead guilty, do some jail time, pay restitution, etc etc. Let your husband continue with his career (provided he's not charged with tax cheating) and you fade off into the sunset, maybe resurfacing some years down the road.

I feel like the two celebrity cases are quite a bit different wrt the money involved - $15K vs. 500K & faking being athletes and all. For the Loughlin/Giannulli's - their future seems far more uncertain IMO.

I see a possible path forward for Felicity Huffman - come clean, plead guilty, do some jail time, pay restitution, etc etc. Let your husband continue with his career (provided he's not charged with tax cheating) and you fade off into the sunset, maybe resurfacing some years down the road.

I feel like the two celebrity cases are quite a bit different wrt the money involved - $15K vs. 500K & faking being athletes and all. For the Loughlin/Giannulli's - their future seems far more uncertain IMO.
I can see that about Felicity Huffman resurfacing at some point. But to me, the amounts that Singer was charging different families has very little to do with how criminal the behavior was and more to do with what he could squeeze out of each family. Or whatever the going rate was at that moment with the particular scammers to "fix" whatever he needed to happen. Is paying someone to cheat on the SATs less significant than making a fake crew athlete profile?

I tend to think that for some reason Mossimo and Loughlin were looked at as bigger "whales" to Singer. Also, I think they showed their hand by showing just how desperately they wanted this and how much they were willing to pay to make it happen. So supply and demand - he charged that much, simply because he knew they would pay that high.

With Felicity Huffman, maybe he sensed they weren't going to shell out more money for a fixed result. That any higher and they might be spooked and just not go through with it. (Like they did not with the second daughter.) JMO, but I think they are all equally culpable, regardless of what arbitrary dollar figure they were given as the "price."

That said, Huffman is doing a good job of keeping her head down. I think Lori Loughlin's daughters are bigger news and attention, just because Olivia Jade had the most visible public persona, is a very attractive girl, and had made a bunch of vapid, ignorant comments on video about how she didn't even want to go to college, rarely shows up, isn't into school, just there for the football and parties, etc - which makes this whole situation look even more infuriating and brings on the backlash.

Yale University has rescinded the admission of a student that officials at the school say was involved in a nationwide college entrance scam. The ousted student, who was not identified, is the second person from the Ivy League college caught up in the coast-to-coast scandal.

Rudolph "Rudy" Meredith, the former head women's soccer coach at Yale, was arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit wire fraud and honest services wire fraud. Prosecutors said Meredith, 51, was paid a $400,000 bribe by William "Rick" Singer to accept a student even though the applicant did not play soccer.

The Yale student's parents had allegedly paid Singer $1.2 million to get their daughter into the prestigious Connecticut school.

Morrie Tobin, a Los Angeles financial executive, had sought leniency in an unrelated securities fraud case against him by tipping off federal investigators that Meredith had sought a bribe from him in return for getting Tobin's daughter into the Yale. Tobin's tip led investigators to uncover the widespread cheating scandal involving dozens of wealthy parents.

Yale rescinds student's admission in $25 million college entrance scam

Last edited:
"The parent who plunked down a whopping $6.5 million as part of the nationwide college admissions scandal remains a mystery nearly two weeks after prosecutors indicted 50 people in connection with the scheme, according to a new report."

https://nypost.com/2019/03/25/mystery-parent-in-admissions-scam-paid-6-5m-to-get-kids-in-college/

It’s unclear if authorities will reveal the mystery parent who participated in the scandal. A spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney’s office in Boston also refused to say whether the parent who paid the massive sum was among those who were already charged — although it seems unlikely based on the information already made public.

Parent who allegedly paid $6.5 million in college admissions scandal remains a mystery

Signs that more parents could be charged in the case include subpoenas which were reportedly sent to other California high schools and listed names of students whose parents were not charged in the initial round.

It’s unclear if authorities will reveal the mystery parent who participated in the scandal. A spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney’s office in Boston also refused to say whether the parent who paid the massive sum was among those who were already charged — although it seems unlikely based on the information already made public.

Parent who allegedly paid $6.5 million in college admissions scandal remains a mystery

Signs that more parents could be charged in the case include subpoenas which were reportedly sent to other California high schools and listed names of students whose parents were not charged in the initial round.
So, shall we speculate why one person gets to remain anonymous when others were named? A bit unfair, especially considering the whole case is about unfairness.

jmo

So, shall we speculate why one person gets to remain anonymous when others were named? A bit unfair, especially considering the whole case is about unfairness.

jmo

I think maybe they were named but the price tag was not attached to their name in the Affidavit - or - they haven't been charged yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆