Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #2

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by BetteDavisEyes, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Staff Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

So, apparently, there have been at least 12 illegal recruits at Georgetown:

Gordon Ernst, a Cranston, Rhode Island native, was allegedly paid more than $2.7 million in bribes while he coached tennis at Georgetown. “Ernst designated at least 12 applicants as recruits for the Georgetown tennis team, including some who did not play tennis competitively.” He resigned as women’s tennis coach at URI last Friday.

Coaches Charged In College Admissions Scandal Due In Boston Court

2. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

Hmm...maybe we need to go through the Complaint Doc and see who doesn't have a $ amount. I knew I should've made a spreadsheet when I read it!

Then again, I don't know if I care.

jmo

Tbone144, LaborDayRN, scdiv and 3 others like this.
  3. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

4. Inthedetails

LaborDayRN, Laughing, byo and 4 others like this.
  5. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

Sometimes the blatantly obvious can’t be ignored, lol.

6. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

I'm gonna guess he didn't declare that $2.7 million on his taxes, either

Ouch, that's really gonna hurt

7. human

human Well-Known Member

Wow! Politician?

8. JerseyGirl

Another apearing in court Monday is Bill Ferguson, head volleyball coach at Wake Forest University. Outside court Monday, Ferguson's lawyer, Shaun Clark, said his client would be entering a not guilty plea and beginning the process of clearing his name. "I can’t speak to what happened at any other school, but not at Wake Forest University. No one was admitted to Wake Forest who didn’t earn it — as a student and as an athlete," Clark said. "Bill Ferguson does not belong in this indictment."

Coaches, Others Due in Court in College Admissions Scandal

LaborDayRN, Laughing, byo and 4 others like this.
  9. JerseyGirl

10. JanetElaine

JanetElaine Well-Known Member

bbm

I suddenly care... their being what seems to be so super secretive about this person makes my antennae twitch, lol. They're hiding something (besides the identity) and I want to know what it is.

Idk if I care enough to make a spreadsheet though, I finally closed the tab on my laptop with the indictments this weekend, too much to process again lol.

MOO and JMO

11. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

$6.5 million is so much more outside the range of what most of the other parents payed. Isn't this enough to get a building named or endowed or something? You know, doing it "legally". If this was also a payment fraudulently reported to the IRS as a charitable donation, it really needs to be exposed.

I don't see why these parents should not be named.

I agree, it seems like there's a big surprise in there somewhere

12. Inthedetails

Interesting response from Wake Forest. We haven't heard "it didn't happen here" response from any other college that I recall.

jmo

13. human

human Well-Known Member

It is a no brainer to kmow how having super rich friends gets your kids jobs. Its a no brainer to know that they can afford the finest experiences and camps and tutors.

We found out that stocks are traded in nano seconds.

I knew they donated millions and their kids got to attend as legacy students.

I knew as an average person that we don’t have much of a chance to move ahead much.

But I did not know about this extra advantage they have.

I am glad that they are looking at alumni and will pull their degrees.

Things are different for the rich. Lots have earned their place and get to benefit from their brains or toil.

This is so, “Let them eat cake.” or the “Haves and the have mores.”

GarAndTeed, KNinTX, neesaki and 10 others like this.
  14. scdiv

scdiv Well-Known Member

15. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

DeVos launches investigation into college admissions scandal

Department investigators are examining whether any of the universities violated any laws or rules “governing the Federal student financial aid programs” or “any other applicable laws,” according to a document reviewed by POLITICO.

If the department decides that any of the schools violated federal education regulations, it could assess penalties, which at the most extreme would include cutting off an institution’s access to Pell Grants and federal student loans.

dixiegirl1035, Laughing, byo and 3 others like this.
  16. human

human Well-Known Member

Financial aid and Pell grants? Seriously!

Don’t they know those are hardly for people that make that kind of money? Middle class parents make too much for Federal Finacial aid and Pell grants.

17. JanetElaine

JanetElaine Well-Known Member

This. It does not make sense to me at all to say (very black and white) "rich people took advantage of the system, so now we're taking away poor(er) people's chances at attending as a penalty". Yeah, that'll show them. Investigate for sure, but taking away financial aid for low income students is hardly a good idea for a punishment, IMO.

JMO/MOO

18. JerseyGirl

Former eBay and Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman donated $30 million to build Princeton’s Whitman College residence hall before her two sons, Griffith and William Harsh, got into her alma mater.

But to the extent a donation can grease an average kid’s application to a haughty school, it’s hardly the most economical route, particularly at elite Ivy League schools.

To get in to a college using the “back door” it was said ... “Today it’s probably $10 million and up.”

He and others add that it’s increasingly rare, and not just because few can donate at that level. “I’ve never seen colleges blatantly sell admission spots,” Mercer said. “Decades ago that may have been a process, but universities worked so hard over the last few decades to build their brand of being desirable and worthy, and that doesn’t come from selling admissions to donors. So when it happens, and I think it happens rarely, the price of admission is high.”

What's it cost to boost your kid's college application?

and... just recently....

Dr. Dre boasted about his daughter’s acceptance into the University of Southern California. Dre, who is from Compton, has made multiple donations to schools in Southern California, including a $10 million donation to Compton High School for a performing arts complex in 2017 and a $70 million donation to USC to create a new arts, technology and business academy in 2013. The latter gift came from both Dre and music producer-turned-entrepreneur Jimmy Iovine.

Dr. Dre boasts after his daughter gets accepted into USC 'all on her own': 'No jail time!'

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    GarAndTeed, Trvl4Lyfe and human like this.
  19. JerseyGirl

“We have confirmed that both Olivia Giannulli and Isabella Giannulli still are enrolled," read a statement sent to USA TODAY from USC's communications department yesterday.

The statement reiterated that the university is "conducting a case-by-case review for current students and graduates that may be connected to the scheme alleged by the government and will make informed decisions as those reviews are completed.”

Olivia Jade, sister Isabella Giannulli are still enrolled at USC, college confirms

20. JerseyGirl

At least 21 of the parents are scheduled to make an initial appearance in court in Boston on Friday. All but one of the parents were charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest-services mail fraud in a criminal complaint rather than a formal indictment.

The charge also carries up to 20 years in prison, but under federal sentencing guidelines, lawyers say, they are unlikely to serve much if any time in jail.

Dozen college-scam defendants plead not guilty, while test taker makes deal | 2019-03-25 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

dixiegirl1035, human, scdiv and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.