Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #2

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by BetteDavisEyes, Mar 12, 2019.

1. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

Of course they are, just naive little children , totally clueless , didn’t t even bother to check into it at all? Really? This is so pathetic.

2. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Ignorance of the law is NOT a defense. I think that Loughlin should get a new attorney.

3. neesaki

I know, the thing is, no way she was that naive, I don’t buy it. So what that means is she’s still what? Lying, anything to save her skin.

4. whitelilac

whitelilac Well-Known Member

I knew it ! Their defense is that Singer et al misrepresented the "deal". They didn't know it was illegal, such wholesome innocence. Right.
    Didn't she agree that the $500K would be listed as a "charity donation" on their tax returns? Please..
    People with that much money are not naive when it comes to dealing with the IRS.
    She's a liar.

5. Tugela

Tugela Well-Known Member

It is not an unreasonable defence. At a lot of these elite universities you can get your kids viewed favorably by making some sizable donation to the university, and that is not illegal. They will probably claim that they believed that Singer and company were being employed as middlemen to facilitate the same thing, since their donation was going to the university, less Singer's fee for the service. It will be up to the DA to prove that they knew that they were doing something illegal. I imagine that would be something like evidence that they knew that the coach was designating the kids as recruits without telling the university why, and agreed with it. If there is not documented evidence for that, then the parents could say that they made the donation in good faith and are not responsible for subsequent fraudulent behavior by the coaching staff at the university.

6. Tugela

Tugela Well-Known Member

It depends on what they knew. For example, if they did not anywhere claim to be being recruited on the rowing team, and that was just something the coaching staff send on to admissions independently, then they personally would not have broken the rules and consequently would not be kicked out. They would have to have made some false claim themselves on the application to be kicked out for violating the code of conduct. Otherwise, presumably their academic credentials were good enough to meet the universities minimum standards and there would be no grounds to boot them.

GarAndTeed, Flicka1 and Laughing like this.
  7. Tugela

Tugela Well-Known Member

Well, apparently he didn't know what was done for the first daughter and nixed it for the second daughter when he was told about the plans to do it for her, so he has not done anything wrong.

8. JoWee

JoWee New Member

This article is awfully written. This is too long and overextended. If you can't write - don't write. You can always order an article on studymoose.com/ and be happy and dignified. Now the article leaves to wish more

Flicka1 and Laughing like this.
  9. Tugela

Tugela Well-Known Member

The irony is that in the case of the Stanford student, her false claims about being involved in sailing would probably never have come to the surface if her family had not donated to the sailing program after she was admitted. Although her parents donated through Singer's scheme, the sailing coach had not designated her a as a recruit and she came in through the normal admission process. It was the donation that caused the university to look more closely at her after the coach was arrested, and once the fabrications were found, she got expelled.

https://www.stanforddaily.com/2019/...-fabricated-sailing-credentials-500000-bribe/

Stanford expels student linked to college admissions scandal

10. Tugela

Tugela Well-Known Member

It is not just rich people who cheat on SATs, poor people do as well. There is just less money involved.

In any case, an elite university should be going after elite students (provided they can round up the fees involved, if not, the state university is just down the road and the education is just as good), not in terms of wealth or status, but in terms of academic performance. Other stuff, such as sports, money and diversity should not count, or at the very least, be secondary all else being equal.

11. Tugela

Tugela Well-Known Member

Which probably happens more than you think. I wonder how many students drop out of their respective athletics program once they have been admitted?

12. neesaki

CalmSeas, GarAndTeed, Flicka1 and 5 others like this.
  13. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

I agree. They could say they really thought there was a charity. They concede they knew they were breaking some rules - after all, they made the donation not because they wanted to help the charity but that the donation would open doors in the admissions process. I think that is what they are going to say. So when Lori agreed to tell the IRS it was a charitable donation, she will say she really believed there was indeed a charity.

I also think she will be lying when she says that.

There is also the possibility they will say they were set up. Rick was already working with the Feds when Lori and Mossimo hired him, right? They will say, perhaps, Rick used them to make good with his Federal case.

The sticky bit are those photos about the "crew" athlete daughters. They knew those were completely fraudulent. But is it illegal to lie on a college app? It can get you booted from the college, but does it actually break a law? Same with test scores.

jmo

14. JanetElaine

JanetElaine Well-Known Member

I'm thinking, or at least hoping, Mossimo storming into the high school counselor's office yelling at her will help blow quite a hole in their "we didn't know anything" defense.

MOO

15. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

They (the defense team) had better be absolutely sure that they know exactly what the prosecution has in terms of evidence before they try that defense. If there are recordings, emails, or texts that suggest they knew this was wrong in any way that defense will go up in a mushroom cloud of smoke.

16. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

This is going to bring in the High School to expose it’s grade racket, and USC to bring in it’s screening and admission process.

There are gonna be a heck of a lot of people who are going to hate the Gianulli’s for what they are going to try to pull as a defense.

I hope that High School Guidance Counselor is under police protection. A large number of very wealthy people who’s children went to that school will not like what she has to say .

17. cluciano63

cluciano63 Well-Known Member

Giving a donation is not the same as having someone else take tests for your child, faking sports photos etc...

But I suppose to a parent who always got what they wanted for their kids none of this seemed “illegal”...just the way things are done as long as you can afford it.

18. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

The posturing begins-- both in the court of public opinion and in the backroom for dealmaking. There is no doubt that Singer was slick and made all the illegalities seem like a plan to level the playing field. It is true that he did not inform them that it was against the law to use the side door.

In the public (potential jurors) they are playing a risky game of feel sorry for us. The whole Aunt Becky persona is one that is very polarizing in this scheme. There are people who will buy the manipulated aspect of this case. That said, I believe the government will present a rock solid case that will bury the empathy. And the judges hand down the sentences and I would be surprised if any of the potential judges are tied to the idea that Aunt Becky is too good to do this.

And, we know that ignorance isn't a defense and there are all kinds of cautions about academic/application honesty and the behavior of Mr. Giannulli with the college counselor demonstrates that he knew of the enormity of the lie (potential for withdraw of offer) and...and...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  19. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

RSBM

In all of the schools where I have worked, the policies and procedures for students, applications, and interface with college admissions counselors are all clearly written and reviewed by counsel. Counselors go against those policies at their own risk. Student privacy is covered by privacy laws.

My experience with entitled parents is that they never think you are talking about them when issues arise.

20. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

How do poor people cheat on SAT's? That's illogical, respectfully. You have to show your ID and there are monitors watching. These rich people got away with it by paying proctors big money who arranged to look the other way when some 36 year old man took the test for a 17 year old girl or by correcting tests.

Poor people specifically don't have the funds to pay for something like that.

And while money/bribes should never be a factor IMO in the admissions process, as the wealthy already have so many advantages, I think having a special skill (likes sports, music, etc.) and diversity should be secondary considerations. Which diversity is.

No one gets in with low intellect and poor grades just because they're a minority. That's not how affirmative action or anything like that works. It was specifically implemented because DESPITE great grades and even great test scores, women and certain ethnic or religious minorities were flat shut out of institutions of higher learning, for centuries in our country.

And I believe other considerations, like achievement in spite of struggle, should be factors on par with test scores (which don't necessarily accurately reflect intellect or potential).

For example, consider a soldier who has seen a few tours of duty, doesn't have exemplary test scores but has shown intelligent leadership and high honor in the military and in terrifying situations during war. Shouldn't what he's gone through and how he has dealt with it be a major consideration in determining his admissions status?

I do.

I'd think a person like that would be better suited for the rigors of academia and for a profession alter on, than some rich kid whose parents paid a lot for great test prep and tutors.