Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #3

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by BetteDavisEyes, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

My guess is that most of the creativity involved claiming to be "Hispanic".

Hispanics are a cultural group and not a racial group. As such, unlike Native Americans who are actually enrolled tribal members, there are not a lot of rules with being Hispanic.

Hispanic physical features can vary- especially in the Carribean and encompass people with European, African to Asian features. Likewise, though most Hispanics have Spanish last names, it is not required. Zimmerman of the Trayvon Martin shooting and infamy is Hispanic and has a German last name. Other Hispanics can have Italian or eastern European last names (common in Argentina ala Pope Benedict) or on occasion, have Chinese last names.

Then factor in that there are millions of Hispanics who don't speak Spanish. In short, if somebody says they are Hispanic, it is almost impossible to prove they are not with out going deeply into family origins.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    squareandrabbet, LadyL, byo and 2 others like this.
  2. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Staff Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

A plea hearing is scheduled today for two more parents accused in the nationwide college admissions scandal.

Gordon Caplan, a prominent New York lawyer and Agustin Huneeus Jr., a well known Napa Valley wine maker -- are both expected to plead guilty.

Both are charged with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud.

The hearing is set for 2:30 p.m. at Federal Court in Boston.

New York lawyer, Napa Valley wine maker expected to plead guilty in admissions scandal

3. JerseyGirl

“Olivia Jade wants to go back to USC,” a source told Us Weekly. “She didn’t get officially kicked out and she is begging the school to let her back in.”

“She knows they won’t let her in, so she’s hoping this info gets out,” another insider told the news outlet. “She wants to come out looking like she’s changed, learned life lessons and is growing as a person, so she for sure wants people to think she is interested in her education.”

https://pagesix.com/2019/05/21/oliv...ts-to-go-back-to-usc-amid-admissions-scandal/

Olivia Jade isn’t letting her parents’ legal turmoil get in the way of her very active social life.

The 19-year-old Instagram celebrity was spotted partying in West Hollywood last week.

Olivia Jade Giannulli wants to return to USC while her parents fight bribery charges | Daily Mail Online

JDG, sassyblue, scdiv and 3 others like this.
  4. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Olivia Jade should apply to USC, with her own credentials and see where she ends up, if she wants to attend USC.

She can always go to California Community College in the meantime, so she can pursue her educational goals.

5. Laughing

Laughing Rarely Speechless

BBM

OT, but this is the 37th anniversary of my first college graduation, so here's a snippet of European history for y'all:

Linda Ronstadt is also Hispanic. For a short time, Mexico had a European ruler, Emperor Maximilian. Unfortunately for Emperor Maximilian & his wife Queen Charlotte, er, Mexico didn't want an Emperor...he was executed by firing squad.

During the couples' time in Mexico, several shiploads of German & Austrian engineers came to build buildings, roads, and bridges. Other tradesmen came as well, leaving their Germanic surnames and some beautiful buildings!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread!

6. scdiv

scdiv Well-Known Member

7. JDG

JDG Websleuther

O/T

And Louis C. K. has dual citizenship, American and Mexican on his fathers side. (Paternal grandmother is Mexican and his father is Mexican)

LaborDayRN, Suglo and Laughing like this.
  8. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

lucylulu, JDG, LaborDayRN and 4 others like this.
  9. JerseyGirl

Gregory and Marcia Abbott and Peter Jan Sartorio entered their guilty pleas Wednesday in Boston federal court.

The Abbotts were charged with paying $125,000 to have someone cheat on their daughter’s entrance exams. Gregory Abbot is the founder of a food and beverage packaging company.

Sartorio was charged with paying $15,000 to have someone correct his daughter’s answers on the ACT. He founded an organic frozen food company.

Nineteen other parents are fighting the charges including Lori Loughlin and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli.

College admissions scandal: Gregory, Marcia Abbott plead guilty

10. JDG

JDG Websleuther

Does anyone know when Lori and Mossimo are going to trial? Thank you.

11. Laughing

Just guessing, months from now. Delays are common & I expect this couple's attorneys with arrange for a few more.

JMHO YMMV

byo, human, mickey2942 and 4 others like this.
  12. mickey2942

And of course, Lori's health problems, emotional stress, this may be more of an issue. :rolleyes:

Alice253, Not a Belle, byo and 5 others like this.
  13. squareandrabbet

squareandrabbet Well-Known Member

I agree, though they may be trying to get around this prohibition with something akin to citing an "honor code" (if the school in fact has such a thing - I don't know). If you want to bring a suit against him for fraud or similar I think that is one thing; I wouldn't be sad if he had to do community service or get probation... but negating all the work he did do and rescinding his credits, I think that's the wrong way to go about it. He did do the work. Punish him for how he came to be at the school in the first place; don't say he didn't do the work.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2019
    human, Cryptic and Laughing like this.
  14. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

I imagine they do have honor codes buried deep in the student handbook and rarely referred to. If the school wants to use the honor code as a basis for not providing a documentation of completed work (transcript), they should not have cashed his tuition checks. The school should also look to the military service academies where honor codes are rigorously adhered to.

My strong suspicion is that those expelled from West Point, Annapolis and Colorado Springs for honor violations are also given transcripts. Such a policy would reflect the honor policy of the school: We always recognize and reward earned accomplishment. In this case that recognition consists of a transcript and appropriate grades. But, you are being expelled for honor violation "X"....

Though the private school can put what ever twists into an honor policy it wants, my guess is that in the end they will have to issue the transcript via an understood contract as a historical documentation of performed work.

Any inconsistencies regarding their willingness to cash 'dishonorable' checks and their unwillingness to issue a transcript based on an "honor code" is only going to hurt them.

squareandrabbet, Laughing and human like this.
  15. Laughing

IIRC the dean of Faber College (National Lampoon's Animal House) invented Double Secret Probation for the selected fraternity...

16. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

mickey2942, neesaki, Laughing and 2 others like this.
  17. neesaki

lucylulu, Laughing, sassyblue and 5 others like this.
  18. mickey2942

Her hubris and narcissism won't allow her to believe that she has done anything wrong. The entitlement mentality is epic. She is rich, and wanted to buy her daughter a place at USC. So she wrote a few checks. The people she wrote the checks to are the bad ones. Of course. It is all a big misunderstanding.

19. neesaki

Yes, wrote checks and sent in fake photos of her daughters rowing, but it’s all a big misunderstanding. Have you noticed how psycho her eyes are in the photos where she’s got that big toothy smile? My hubby pointed that out to me, lol.

I’m actually beginning to wonder if she’s going to go so far as to try to place all the blame on her husband.

Kittybunny, byo, lucylulu and 6 others like this.
  20. mickey2942

No, she needs him and his money. Her career is trash now. The MSM rags bother me, no way would she be sentenced to 40 years in prison! If nothing else, they will string this out forever, and make a last minute deal. After all, if 16 felonies can disappear...stranger things have happened...

Kittybunny, byo, lucylulu and 7 others like this.