Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes, that seems excessive, JMO. I'm glad the feds are cracking down on this kind of corruption but, good heavens, this kind of thing has been going on in the US for a century or more. There have been many top US leaders in government and business who got into prestigious schools because their parents made large donations to colleges and proctors or others took entrance exams instead of the wealthy "legacy" students.

I hope this is a sign the government is going to crack down on all corruption associated with college admissions. It's long overdue. JMO

LOL
Playwright David Mamet has expressed sympathy for his longtime friend Felicity Huffman and her husband, fellow actor William H. Macy, following her indictment in a widespread college admissions bribery scandal.

“I’ve known Felicity Huffman for those 35 years, she was my student, my colleague, worked in many of my films, and created roles on stage in three of my plays,” Mamet said. “I’m crazy about them both. That a parent’s zeal for her children’s future may have overcome her better judgment for a moment is not only unfortunate, it is, I know we parents would agree, a universal phenomenon.”

David Mamet Expresses Sympathy for Felicity Huffman Amid College Bribery Scandal

Well Lori's daughter was a "college athlete" who received improper benefits. In other cases they get expelled or kicked out. Should happen here too.

It is my understanding that she was not offered a slot based on recruitment. If this is a D1/2 program, these girls would have had to be signed up with the NCAA in order to be recruited (and in NCAA compliance---USC would not go around that b/c losing your NCAA status is an athletic department killer). However, my understanding is that they were walk-ons. We don't have any data that states she was recruited. Heck, my own kid was an athletic stand out that was not recruited--- if attending a D1/D2 school, the way on the team would have been a walk-on tryout.

Improper admission based on lying? Yes. An athlete? Unless she was placed on a team and didn't have the skills, she got no NCAA/athletic scholarship leg up.

Lying on an application can be cause for dismissal. The applications have all kinds of caveats that highlight honesty. It is important to note that some of these kids had people who applied on behalf of the students (I have had parents do that in my school, also.).

Should they be dismissed from their schools or held accountable legally? They are kids/young adults who have not been charged. This really is a question that we should wait for the institutions and the prosecutors to determine since we don't have proof that they did anything wrong---- like we know---everything thing is alleged at this point.

Last edited:
LOL
Playwright David Mamet has expressed sympathy for his longtime friend Felicity Huffman and her husband, fellow actor William H. Macy, following her indictment in a widespread college admissions bribery scandal.

“I’ve known Felicity Huffman for those 35 years, she was my student, my colleague, worked in many of my films, and created roles on stage in three of my plays,” Mamet said. “I’m crazy about them both. That a parent’s zeal for her children’s future may have overcome her better judgment for a moment is not only unfortunate, it is, I know we parents would agree, a universal phenomenon.”

David Mamet Expresses Sympathy for Felicity Huffman Amid College Bribery Scandal

BBM. What total BS!!

Snipped and bolded be me.

Nope.

It is not a universal phenomenon.

From my point of view, it is the opposite of zeal for a child's future to cheat and bribe for them.

I very much care about my child's future, which is why I DON'T cheat and bribe for them. I know that a solid future for my children and any child requires them to stand on their own two feet, and I am very zealous about that.

jmo

(Snipped quote for space)
No. No it’s not. In addition to scholarships, grants & loans, my husband and I are delaying necessary medical & dental procedures, driving vehicles that shouldn’t be running and putting off home repairs so that our kids can attend our church-affiliated college. THAT is how most parents do college for their kids.

It is my understanding that she was not offered a slot based on recruitment. If this is a D1/2 program, these girls would have had to be signed up with the NCAA in order to be recruited (and in NCAA compliance---USC would not go around that b/c losing your NCAA status is an athletic department killer). However, my understanding is that they were walk-ons. We don't have any data that states she was recruited. Heck, my own kid was an athletic stand out that was not recruited--- if attending a D1/D2 school, the way on the team would have been a walk-on tryout.

Improper admission based on lying? Yes. An athlete? Unless she was placed on a team and didn't have the skills, she got no NCAA/athletic scholarship leg up.

Lying on an application can be cause for dismissal. The applications have all kinds of caveats that highlight honesty. It is important to note that some of these kids had people who applied on behalf of the students (I have had parents do that in my school, also.).

Should they be dismissed from their schools or held accountable legally? They are kids/young adults who have not been charged. This really is a question that we should wait for the institutions and the prosecutors to determine since we don't have proof that they did anything wrong---- like we know---everything thing is alleged at this point.

Lori Loughlin’s Daughter Is Caught Up in College Admissions Scandal

Ms. Giannulli’s parents were described in the investigation as having paid multiple bribes amounting to $500,000 in order to have Olivia and her sister, Isabella, listed as recruits for the university’s crew team. (Neither participated in crew; both are influencers.) Ms. Giannulli is not mentioned by name in the indictment.

LOL

bbm

Oh give me a break, Mr. Mamet. It's not like we're talking about kids who wouldn't have had a shot a a decent life otherwise. These parents tried to get things for their kids over the backs of others, things they might not have been entitled to... what an insult to all parents who sacrificed in one way or another for their kids!

This is just one more example of how stilted the competitive college admissions process is.......In most high schools, the college counselor/school counselor to student ratio is greater than 300 to 1. In private schools or small high schools in higher income communities the number is closer to 50 to 1 with many richer families hiring private college coaches for essay "review", school selection, and reach out. The system is definitely not fair on any level. While the released facts of this case are surprising, we all need to remember that an athlete in a sport that has needs for certain positions (even in a D3 school) gets "points" in the same way that legacies or academic standouts do. Famous people or rich people get points based on who they know or who their friends know.

Around the SAT cheating, a number of years ago there was the extended time and "psychological assessments" by private psychologists in order to tilt the system toward rich children who were only fair to middling. The College Board closed that loophole after there were years of kids dx'ed in 9th or 10th grade before the PSAT administration. People pay up to 5k for SAT/ACT tutoring--sometimes kids will be tutored throughout their high school career. It is crazy really but we can also see that when the other advantages of wealth and access begin to shrink people will do what they can to get a little bit of the extra they think their kids need.

Private SAT/ACT test sites are awesome---you may have only one student in a room. They can have water or snacks nearby (especially if they have extended time). They don't have to show up extra early and sign in as kids in cafeterias with 600 others do. The site can also administer the test later than 8 am. You do have to pay extra and there are often very few slots.

I don't think any of the these kids can be held accountable unless we have direct proof or they are charged. Funny, the gain of 400 points didn't raise a red lag for these kids but.... this young woman who had a large jump has been punished by having her scores withheld (and by accounts of people I know--didn't cheat). Kamilah Campbell's story at Florida girl had her SAT result flagged. She says she didn't cheat and hires famous lawyer. - CNN But, she dropped her fight-----https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/07/us/florida-girl-sat-controversy/index.html

Back in the early 70's, there were no test prep classes or tutoring for ACT or SAT. We just took the tests, period. Everyone ended up somewhere in a public university. The only time I read a test prep book was for grad school entrance exams. It didn't help much.

Hubs and I and our kids all graduated from basic public state colleges and did very well. People shouldn't put so much pressure on their kids, let them enjoy college. JMO.

No. No it’s not. In addition to scholarships, grants & loans, my husband and I are delaying necessary medical & dental procedures, driving vehicles that shouldn’t be running and putting off home repairs so that our kids can attend our church-affiliated college. THAT is how most parents do college for their kids.
Absolutely true for many families. We do the same. Even state university/colleges are not affordable for so many. I have kids in my school who have 10k gaps with a FA package that has 5,500 dollars in loans and an estimated family contribution of 0 based on their income. .

Wow-- is $250k bond the going rate for $15,000 fraud payment?

I'm following some brutal crimes now where accessory to murder, and police officer shooting bonds were set at $50K.

If that's the rate, OK-- but celebrity shouldn't be treated differently at bond hearing.

Not condoning either -- I was one of the first in this thread to call them out!
Well, since they get all kinds of special privileges maybe they also get special bond rates?
J/k I have no idea. ;)

Lori Loughlin’s Daughter Is Caught Up in College Admissions Scandal

Ms. Giannulli’s parents were described in the investigation as having paid multiple bribes amounting to $500,000 in order to have Olivia and her sister, Isabella, listed as recruits for the university’s crew team. (Neither participated in crew; both are influencers.) Ms. Giannulli is not mentioned by name in the indictment.

From the article:
"Some students involved in the scandal were unaware that their parents had acted on their behalf, and prosecutors from the Justice Department emphasized that the children had not been the targets of the investigation."

My guess if they falsified the college application there will be ramifications. I just don't think we need to condemn the children yet.

They can call their kid a recruit but unless they played on a variety/jv team and had NCAA accounts they could not be recruited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie