Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by BetteDavisEyes, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Yes, that seems excessive, JMO. I'm glad the feds are cracking down on this kind of corruption but, good heavens, this kind of thing has been going on in the US for a century or more. There have been many top US leaders in government and business who got into prestigious schools because their parents made large donations to colleges and proctors or others took entrance exams instead of the wealthy "legacy" students.

I hope this is a sign the government is going to crack down on all corruption associated with college admissions. It's long overdue. JMO

human, Judith Sleuth and Seattle1 like this.
  2. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LIVELIKELIZZY

From my sister at Boston College:

USC ..."University of Spoiled Children"

:p

Sunny123, Mercedes, Laughing and 7 others like this.
  3. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

LOL
    Playwright David Mamet has expressed sympathy for his longtime friend Felicity Huffman and her husband, fellow actor William H. Macy, following her indictment in a widespread college admissions bribery scandal.

“I’ve known Felicity Huffman for those 35 years, she was my student, my colleague, worked in many of my films, and created roles on stage in three of my plays,” Mamet said. “I’m crazy about them both. That a parent’s zeal for her children’s future may have overcome her better judgment for a moment is not only unfortunate, it is, I know we parents would agree, a universal phenomenon.”

David Mamet Expresses Sympathy for Felicity Huffman Amid College Bribery Scandal

Alcina, BayouBelle_LA and flute4peace like this.
  4. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

It is my understanding that she was not offered a slot based on recruitment. If this is a D1/2 program, these girls would have had to be signed up with the NCAA in order to be recruited (and in NCAA compliance---USC would not go around that b/c losing your NCAA status is an athletic department killer). However, my understanding is that they were walk-ons. We don't have any data that states she was recruited. Heck, my own kid was an athletic stand out that was not recruited--- if attending a D1/D2 school, the way on the team would have been a walk-on tryout.

Improper admission based on lying? Yes. An athlete? Unless she was placed on a team and didn't have the skills, she got no NCAA/athletic scholarship leg up.

Lying on an application can be cause for dismissal. The applications have all kinds of caveats that highlight honesty. It is important to note that some of these kids had people who applied on behalf of the students (I have had parents do that in my school, also.).

Should they be dismissed from their schools or held accountable legally? They are kids/young adults who have not been charged. This really is a question that we should wait for the institutions and the prosecutors to determine since we don't have proof that they did anything wrong---- like we know---everything thing is alleged at this point.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Laughing, human and Judith Sleuth like this.
  5. CrimeDawg123

CrimeDawg123 Well-Known Member

BBM. What total BS!!

6. TMAN2014

TMAN2014 Well-Known Member

So I guess that movie "Back to School" was all true. Lot of Mr. Mellons out there, eh....

Kittybunny and Tbone144 like this.
  7. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

Snipped and bolded be me.

Nope.

It is not a universal phenomenon.

From my point of view, it is the opposite of zeal for a child's future to cheat and bribe for them.

I very much care about my child's future, which is why I DON'T cheat and bribe for them. I know that a solid future for my children and any child requires them to stand on their own two feet, and I am very zealous about that.

jmo

8. Medstudies

Medstudies Well-Known Member

Powerful message of disadvantages and unfair life circumstances .:(

9. Judith Sleuth

Judith Sleuth Well-Known Member

The thread says Macy’s phone calls with confidential government witnesses were “consensually recorded.”

Interesting. ... The plot thickens. *dun dun dun*

flute4peace and Medstudies like this.
  10. kaen

Awesome video!!!!!!

Trvl4Lyfe, Betty P, human and 2 others like this.
  11. flute4peace

flute4peace Well-Known Member

(Snipped quote for space)
    No. No it’s not. In addition to scholarships, grants & loans, my husband and I are delaying necessary medical & dental procedures, driving vehicles that shouldn’t be running and putting off home repairs so that our kids can attend our church-affiliated college. THAT is how most parents do college for their kids.

12. Wagtales10

Wagtales10 2024

Lori Loughlin’s Daughter Is Caught Up in College Admissions Scandal

Ms. Giannulli’s parents were described in the investigation as having paid multiple bribes amounting to $500,000 in order to have Olivia and her sister, Isabella, listed as recruits for the university’s crew team. (Neither participated in crew; both are influencers.) Ms. Giannulli is not mentioned by name in the indictment.

13. JanetElaine

JanetElaine Well-Known Member

bbm

Oh give me a break, Mr. Mamet. It's not like we're talking about kids who wouldn't have had a shot a a decent life otherwise. These parents tried to get things for their kids over the backs of others, things they might not have been entitled to... what an insult to all parents who sacrificed in one way or another for their kids!

14. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Back in the early 70's, there were no test prep classes or tutoring for ACT or SAT. We just took the tests, period. Everyone ended up somewhere in a public university. The only time I read a test prep book was for grad school entrance exams. It didn't help much.

Hubs and I and our kids all graduated from basic public state colleges and did very well. People shouldn't put so much pressure on their kids, let them enjoy college. JMO.

15. Wagtales10

Wagtales10 2024

It’s funny cause my parents told me “figure it out yourself”

When it came to paying for college

16. kaen

Absolutely true for many families. We do the same. Even state university/colleges are not affordable for so many. I have kids in my school who have 10k gaps with a FA package that has 5,500 dollars in loans and an estimated family contribution of 0 based on their income. .

17. Medstudies

Well, since they get all kinds of special privileges maybe they also get special bond rates?
    J/k I have no idea. ;)

Gardenista likes this.
  18. Medstudies

Thank you! I cried when I saw some of the young men- still at the starting line- crying :(

Betty P, human and Judith Sleuth like this.
  19. kaen

From the article:
    "Some students involved in the scandal were unaware that their parents had acted on their behalf, and prosecutors from the Justice Department emphasized that the children had not been the targets of the investigation."

My guess if they falsified the college application there will be ramifications. I just don't think we need to condemn the children yet.

They can call their kid a recruit but unless they played on a variety/jv team and had NCAA accounts they could not be recruited.

20. maggieg

maggieg Well-Known Member

Could it be something like a prerecorded message that we all hear saying calls are recorded for quality and training purposes or something like that

Inthedetails and Medstudies like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.