Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by BetteDavisEyes, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

2. BOSCOE

BOSCOE Well-Known Member

Bravo and congratulations :)
    Life is hard and life's lessons harder. Success is not simply measured by $$$ and possessions. True success is knowing you did it the right way and you can sleep at night. Honesty and pride mean the world to me. KWIM.

I know you are incredibly proud of your daughter.

Laughing, thistle, angelainwi and 7 others like this.
  3. BOSCOE

BOSCOE Well-Known Member

Alan Dershowitz is really upset about this. I hope he or another brilliant legal mind can help some students who had the door closed on their future. Just saying.

Medstudies, Herat, cherrymeg and 4 others like this.
  4. Gardenista

I have a sick feeling he's going to be one of the few who will be speaking out against this.

5. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Reporter Ryan Reilly has the best twitter coverage with this article link....

Ryan J. Reilly‏Verified account @ryanjreilly
    Most of the parents charged in the college bribery scandal are extraordinarily wealthy. The odd man out: the associate professor of dentistry who allegedly refinanced his house and made installment payments to scam his daughter into USC as a lacrosse star. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/college-admissions-bribery-scandal-whos-who_n_5c87cee0e4b0fbd7661e0b01 …
    3:33 PM - 12 Mar 2019

6. BOSCOE

BOSCOE Well-Known Member

So far the Dersh is the only one I've heard be a totally outraged.
    He says this is the biggest scandal of its kind in our country's history. I agree with him.

HulaMum, Medstudies and Gardenista like this.
  7. Gardenista

Every single one of the examples in this article makes me want to throw up.

SFDukie, angelainwi, HulaMum and 4 others like this.
  8. flute4peace

flute4peace Well-Known Member

This is fantastic, you should be very proud!

9. flute4peace

flute4peace Well-Known Member

Deleted because I knew better than to say that *hangs head in shame*

Laughing likes this.
  10. human

human Well-Known Member

Before computers, I studied from a book for my Grad school entrance exam. It made a tremendous difference as I learned the form of the test.

11. maggieg

maggieg Well-Known Member

I can't see anything about the doctors that were used to get all these exemptions, they have to have been paid off, right? I wonder will they face sanction from the medical boards?

Surely thats something that will be easy to change, rather than allow individual doctors to sign off on extra test time, allow individual doctors to refer people to a panel of doctors that will confirm or deny the need for extra time for standardized tests.

Its sad that these people with all their privilege have put doubt on people who legitimately need extra time.

12. human

human Well-Known Member

I have no access to the ultra wealthy, just to the wealthy.

It starts young and I bet it is at everyone’s elementary school. Parents doing the project for the science fair.

When my kids were in high school, some parents were in Hawaii. The mother dictated a paper for her daughter to turn into achool.

My friend taught at a fairly wealthy elementary school. Before computers, a child had a paper typed by a father’s secretary.

How about preschool for the ultra rich? I wonder what tricks are used to get into preschool?

I wonder how honest the grades are in elementary and up in ultra rich schools? I bet a teacher is scared about getting fired if s/he does not provide good grades for powerful parent’s children.

How about sports and how competitive parents are with kid’s sports?

13. cherrymeg

cherrymeg Well-Known Member

Doesn't anyone realize photos can come back and haunt you? If you aren't an amazing athlete won't that be noticed? The same could be said for not living up to test scores. If these are the people in ivy league or prestigious universities why bother going to them? Why get stuck with loans for a school and is teaching towards kids that cheated and can't keep up?

Betty P and JudgeJoe like this.
  14. JudgeJoe

JudgeJoe Well-Known Member

Yes & for a net worth like that, they could’ve founded their own college & awarded their loser kids a degree in social media...

The Amazon ad made me gag... Getting paid ad dollars to celebrate the lie. So disgusted with this story. I don’t believe for a minute the kids & husbands didn’t know. Jail time for everyone please!

15. cherrymeg

Or they could give their kids money and let them rent near a campus.

flute4peace likes this.
  16. JudgeJoe

I’m guessing that’s why much of Hollywood is so uncharacteristically tweetless tonight... The rich & famous can’t be expected to post proud pics of their fabulous offspring at community college, now can they?
    What happens to these students admitted fraudulently now? Will they get the boot, I wonder?

17. JudgeJoe

Well... they did get the best & brightest. The best cheaters & the brightest liars. Demonstrates real motivation. Gumption. Go-getter-ness.
    Besides cheating worthy students out of those seats, this fiasco really dumbs down an Ivy-Leage education. No one will know for sure if the spot was bought or earned.

Trvl4Lyfe, KNinTX and Inthedetails like this.
  18. cherrymeg

It's the parents paying money this doesn't involve creativity or effort on the kids part. They aren't even good at cheating.

19. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

If you've ever spent much time around the top people in business, finance, etc. you'll know this is often true. They're not the sharpest tools in the shed, but they have good connections and smart, well educated people who work for them. These days, executive IT systems pretty much make it so anyone can run a corporation, even a computer.

The exceptions I've seen for people with good Ivy League educations are in practicing law, practicing physicians, medical research, engineering and similar disciplines where you can't "fake it".

angelainwi and Inthedetails like this.
  20. Trvl4Lyfe

Trvl4Lyfe Active Member

It's kind of disheartening to read how this has been going on for a while because it seems to only lead to them saying everybody does this. As of course not everybody does but this seems to lead to a way for them saying it wasn't so wrong...

At the same time all these parents involved are basically saying their kids aren't smart enough or have no talent to advance further in their own lives. So it makes no sense with all the money you had why didn't you simply sign them up for tutoring or other more legal ways to help your own child.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.