Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Safe to say many careers are over as they should be. People fired, removed from their positions and on it goes. Companies are already getting swamped with emails and calls. This is a huge organic movement and it's only getting warmed up.

Jonah Valdez‏ @Jonahmv
BREAKING: Lori Loughlin was released on $1 million bond. Judge permitted her to travel to British Columbia, where she has filiming projects in Vancouver. Loughlin is on contract to film projects until November. She must surrender her U.S. passport in December.
So....Hallmark hasn't dropped her (yet?).

jmo

Target doesn't seem to own the brand rather license clothes from them but he sold it to another company in 2006 for $135m and his net worth is $80m, as a couple they're worth way more than the Huffman/Macys

Mossimo Giannulli: Who Is 'Fuller House' and 'When Calls The Heart' Star Lori Loughlin's Husband?
I wonder if the name of the brand will change...though it's not really getting much attention and consumers might not make the connection anyway.

I'm unclear about him - is he an active designer, since selling the company several years ago? Or retired?

jmo

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
On Tuesday, shortly after news broke of the indictments, USC president Wanda M. Austin sent an email to students in which she said the school was the "victim."

"At this time, we have no reason to believe that admissions employees or senior administrators were aware of the scheme or took part in any wrongdoing — and we believe the government concurs in that assessment," she wrote in an email obtained by The Hollywood Reporter.

Lori Loughlin Bond Set at $1M In College Admissions Scandal

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
On Tuesday, shortly after news broke of the indictments, USC president Wanda M. Austin sent an email to students in which she said the school was the "victim."

"At this time, we have no reason to believe that admissions employees or senior administrators were aware of the scheme or took part in any wrongdoing — and we believe the government concurs in that assessment," she wrote in an email obtained by The Hollywood Reporter.

Lori Loughlin Bond Set at $1M In College Admissions Scandal
That is a really high bond! Not that I care about this cheat but Felicity's bond was half that amount, IIRC. IMO.

I have a strong hunch that the timing of the arrests and charges in this scam is not accidental.

The SCOTUS is actively considering the Harvard/ elite universities case in discriminating against Asian students— setting limits for the number of Asians admitted. Etc. Arguments have been heard. Rulings due by end is session in June.

I think it’s probable that this case is timed to coincide with the SCOTUS decision, and “drive” the national issue of college admissions process into the public awareness. Force a national conversation. And I think that’s a very good thing.

I have said for years that the only fair admission process is one that is completely blinded. Applicants would be assigned a serial number. No names. No gender. No race. No names of high schools or identifying information. No addresses. Nothing that would confer an advantage. Admit on merits, grades, rigor of classes, test scores alone. I think ACT and SAT are moving in a troublesome direction. We may have to go back to each university holding their own admission tests, and/ or validating test takers with DNA accountability. Or retinal scans. Etc.
Much could be corrected with SAT/ACT only administered in public schools in ONE room, with extra time available to those with accomodations- but NOT separate proctors/rooms.
IMHO, public school teachers, credentialled to administer SAT/ACT are far more scrutinized & far more likely to incur criminal charges/ loss of teacher’s certification. Plus NEVER left alone w a test taker.
These protections are not in place in private schools- at least not to the same degree. Many private school teachers are not even required to have/ maintain state certifications. This is not an attack on private schools in any way. It is simply a fact- and a loophole begging to be abused. Again, IMHO.

Much could be corrected with SAT/ACT only administered in public schools in ONE room, with extra time available to those with accomodations- but NOT separate proctors/rooms.
IMHO, public school teachers, credentialled to administer SAT/ACT are far more scrutinized & far more likely to incur criminal charges/ loss of teacher’s certification. Plus NEVER left alone w a test taker.
These protections are not in place in private schools- at least not to the same degree. Many private school teachers are not even required to have/ maintain state certifications. This is not an attack on private schools in any way. It is simply a fact- and a loophole begging to be abused. Again, IMHO.
Hmm....my kids took their SAT/ACT at private schools. The exams were on Saturdays and the security was strict. It wasn't some casual thing by any stretch.

The responsibility for the testing site is on the College Board who controls the process.

jmo

Tweet from entertainment reporter at today's hearing for Lori Loughlin:

Lori Loughlin was stone-faced, barely blinking in the hearing. Her mouth was a straight line and her arms were crossed. The judge asked if she read and understood her rights. “Yes I have,” she said confidently, before a few minutes later answering questions with a shaky “yes”

Carly Mallenbaum on Twitter

As Lori Loughlin traveled from Vancouver to L.A. Tuesday night to surrender to federal authorities in the college bribery scandal -- which got her daughter, Olivia Jade, into USC -- Olivia spent the night on the yacht of the Chairman of USC's Board of Trustees ... but she's off the boat now, TMZ has learned.

We've learned 19-year-old Olivia was on Rick Caruso's yacht in the Bahamas. Caruso's daughter, Gianna, Olivia and several other friends were spending spring break in the area.

Lori Loughlin's Daughter Olivia Leaves Yacht of USC's Board of Trustees Chairman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member