Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
If The College Board does the right thing, they’re going to have to completely redo ALL their stats charts & bell curves for SAT going back at least 10 years. In 2017, when my daughter was a senior in HS, a math score in the high 600’s was a top 10% score. This was the first year of the “new” SAT. Fewer than 1% were scoring in the high 700’s- the rate dropped off that much. These numbers aren’t just used for college admission & specialty scholarships. THESE STATS ARE USED BY STATE LEGISLATURES TO DETERMINE THRESHOLD SCORES FOR DIFFERENT TIERS OF STATE SCHOLARSHIPS. In GA it’s the “Hope Scholarship”, FL it’s “Bright Futures”- and on and on. Every state has this. So these cheaters didn’t just take some seats in the Ivies. They skewed the stats & prompted state budget comittees to raise the bar- eliminating thousands of scholarship awards to state schools, screwing thousands of students out of awards they’d been working towards since 6th grade. That’s right SIXTH GRADE- the start of middle school. In 2017 it cost FL students the Bright Futures difference of Medallion ($6840 per year) vs Academic Scholar ($9090 per yr). That’s a big d@m difference to a kid from the hood fighting for the first degree his family has ever earned, while juggling 3 part-time gigs to eat & cover remaining tuition. The repercussions are really more vast than some rich-n-famous narcissists taking some premiere seats. SAT, ACT stats have to be redone & state legislatures have to lower the bar back to the reality of what the scores actually are when 18 year olds are taking the exam- not 36 year old test-taking experts plumping their lifestyles with $10K per pop exam-sitting services. Quite confident he’s not the only one taking these tests- by a long shot. Every state legislature will have to reset these thresholds. Think about the resources!

EXACTLY

This crime of vanity has enormous expensive consequences for thousands of potential students of ordinary or less means who would rely on a scholarship for honest grades and scores.

The crimes of the rich and famous are mail fraud and IRS filing violations - cured by more $$$ and some loss of face. Their dull and unmotivated offspring will still be able to avail themselves of everything money can buy.

The SAT system is destroyed by this rampant cheating and will hurt many many more.

Last edited:
When you make your own grades, take your own SAT's, write your own applications, pay your own way with money from after-school jobs, that degree is worth far far more and you learn and appreciate more about life.
Right on! And you learn how to handle challenges on your own. Nothing beats a sense of accomplishment. It's not the spot in college that matters, it's what you did to earn that spot that matters.

And, if you really want to vlog, well....do it. One message I hope comes from all this is - you don't have to go to college right out of high school if you really don't want to! Nothing shabby about starting a business, for pete's sake, or taking time before deciding on your own that you want/need a college education.

The waste of cheating the system for a kid who wasn't interested in college is galling.

jmo

EXACTLY

This crime of vanity has enormous expensive consequences for thousands of potential students of ordinary or less means who would rely on a scholarship for honest grades and scores.

The crimes of the rich and famous are mail fraud and IRS filing violations - cured by more $$$ and some loss of face. Their dull and unmotivated offspring will still be able to avail themselves of everything money can buy.

The SAT system is destroyed by this rampant cheating and will hurt many many more.
Agree! And must admit I LOVE the mail fraud charges. It’s so Tom Cruise in “The Firm”- back when TC was still likeable. :cool:

If The College Board does the right thing, they’re going to have to completely redo ALL their stats charts & bell curves for SAT going back at least 10 years. In 2017, when my daughter was a senior in HS, a math score in the high 600’s was a top 10% score. This was the first year of the “new” SAT. Fewer than 1% were scoring in the high 700’s- the rate dropped off that much. These numbers aren’t just used for college admission & specialty scholarships. THESE STATS ARE USED BY STATE LEGISLATURES TO DETERMINE THRESHOLD SCORES FOR DIFFERENT TIERS OF STATE SCHOLARSHIPS. In GA it’s the “Hope Scholarship”, FL it’s “Bright Futures”- and on and on. Every state has this. So these cheaters didn’t just take some seats in the Ivies. They skewed the stats & prompted state budget comittees to raise the bar- eliminating thousands of scholarship awards to state schools, screwing thousands of students out of awards they’d been working towards since 6th grade. That’s right SIXTH GRADE- the start of middle school. In 2017 it cost FL students the Bright Futures difference of Medallion ($6840 per year) vs Academic Scholar ($9090 per yr). That’s a big d@m difference to a kid from the hood fighting for the first degree his family has ever earned, while juggling 3 part-time gigs to eat & cover remaining tuition. The repercussions are really more vast than some rich-n-famous narcissists taking some premiere seats. SAT, ACT stats have to be redone & state legislatures have to lower the bar back to the reality of what the scores actually are when 18 year olds are taking the exam- not 36 year old test-taking experts plumping their lifestyles with $10K per pop exam-sitting services. Quite confident he’s not the only one taking these tests- by a long shot. Every state legislature will have to reset these thresholds. Think about the resources!
It really is trickle down affecting all of us.

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if it is true. Couples disagree all the time over child rearing and I think it gets even more divided sometimes with teens.
The article says Felicity’s friends thinks she deserves this and the kids had no idea and that it’s tearing their family apart. That feels very believable to me.
Feels like Aunt Becky’s family were 100% all in on the scheme together lol.

The six-deck Invictus is also said to sleep 12 guests (and capable of carrying 19 crew members) in its nine bedrooms. Notable features include a fold-down cabana deck in the stern, a small pool on the sundeck, a gym, a theater and an elevator.

The yatch is also available for rentals, at $616,500 per week (summer rate) and $525,000 per week (winter rate)

Inside the super-luxurious yacht where Olivia Jade was vacationing with USC pals

It really is trickle down affecting all of us.
Yes & these state scholarships can be critical even if you are not attending a state school. While the scholarships can typically only be used in state, sometimes an award will be met with full or partial reciprocity elsewhere. Students can reference these awards to negotiate additional scholarship funding with their out-of-state dream school. My daughter got 6K extra funding out of state for her FL award- which was never used in FL, so remained in the system for another student’s benefit. Win for everybody!

Also double checked SAT report from 2017. Top 10% was 650 for reading, lower for math. So mid 600’s- not high, as I stated earlier. And top 1% was LOW 700’s. Tiny fraction of students nationwide score above that. So these %#<ers who fraudulently submit scores close to the 800 max, really do warp the stats- and make it look like 99.99% of the nation’s graduating class that year is less intelligent than they are. Really p’s me off.

USC interim President Wanda Austin said about six students linked with Singer's firm will be barred.

A USC statement said officials will also conduct a case-by-case review of current students and graduates tied to the allegations and "will make informed, appropriate decisions once those reviews have been completed."

The school has identified at least $1.3 million in donations from those involved in the scheme, and that money will be redirected to scholarships for underprivileged students.

USC may take action against Lori Loughlin’s daughter in bribery scandal

Lori Loughlin allegedly committed fraud so her daughter could go to college ... to vlog

Olivia Giannulli tweeted last month about how she'd rather make YouTube videos

Olivia's YouTube is only successful because of her father.

He is a recognizable first-name in the retailing business. He has instance access to Amazon's marketing, Sephora's marketing, any company that markets or promotes beauty, fashion, health, lifestyle, whatever.

She may be pretty and wear clothes nicely, but he's done all the work. There are probably 10,000 Youtubers and influencers that would love to have the chance to brand a makeup palette for Sephora. Why does she have one at 19? Because her father is Mossimo. (I had one of his T-shirts long ago, I don't know why, it was just a T-shirt)

If you look at ownership, his name is going to be on it. He has all the access, the markets skills, the deals, the fashion inside contacts. There is no way she did this by herself. Unlike thousands of other people interest in fashion/beauty/lifestyle who did this ALL BY THEMSELVES, with parents who didn't hobnob with billionaires and promote their children by bribing and buying fame.

Make sure and always look behind the curtain, the Wizard ain't all he seems to be.

I can't help but wonder if there are other operations (other than Singer's) that did/does this kind of thing for parents and students. Where I live, there are private "college entrance prep advice" counseling services for hire offered galore. Trusting deeper investigation into others is underway....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loretti11