NC - 12-year-old dies at Trails Carolina wilderness therapy camp, Lake Toxaway, February 2024

On Thursday, NCDHHS sent a letter to Trails Carolina informing the camp that it was “in violation of North Carolina General Statute (N.C.G.S.) § 122C, Article 2, the licensing rules for Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities, and Substance Abuse Services and/or N.C.G.S. § 122C, Article 3, Clients’ Rights for individuals with mental illness, developmental disabilities, or substance abuse issues.”

The deficiencies found in the follow-up survey included Type A1 rule violations cited for 10A NCAC 27D .0304 which entails protection from harm abuse, neglect or exploitation and medication requirements as well as Type B rule violations cited for 10A NCAC 27E .0101 which entails facilities providing services/supports that promote a safe and respectful environment. Standard-level deficiencies were also found in the survey.

On Thursday, NCDHHS sent a letter to Trails Carolina informing the camp that it was “in violation of North Carolina General Statute (N.C.G.S.) § 122C, Article 2, the licensing rules for Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities, and Substance Abuse Services and/or N.C.G.S. § 122C, Article 3, Clients’ Rights for individuals with mental illness, developmental disabilities, or substance abuse issues.”

The deficiencies found in the follow-up survey included Type A1 rule violations cited for 10A NCAC 27D .0304 which entails protection from harm abuse, neglect or exploitation and medication requirements as well as Type B rule violations cited for 10A NCAC 27E .0101 which entails facilities providing services/supports that promote a safe and respectful environment. Standard-level deficiencies were also found in the survey.

Fantabulous! Now just charge them with child abuse and I'll be a happy camper.

MOO

FYI, I finally got around to watching the other Netflix documentary, Hell Camp, which is incredibly relevant as it's specifically about wilderness programs, and it's also very good. More a traditional style of documentary than The Program was (it's people sitting in domestic settings, talking to camera about their experiences) but very powerful, still. If you want to understand this specific program that Trails was running, you probably can't do better than both documentaries, but this one especially because of the outdoor setting.

MOO

These programs are everywhere, but especially in countries and remote areas where the operators think they can do what they want without oversight.

A program was shut down in Jamaica recently, too. Seven boys rescued.

These programs are everywhere, but especially in countries and remote areas where the operators think they can do what they want without oversight.

A program was shut down in Jamaica recently, too. Seven boys rescued.

This whole story reminds me of the beginning chapters of Nicholas Nickleby, the novel Dickens wrote to expose corruption and mistreatment at private boarding schools, back in 1838!

JMO

This whole story reminds me of the beginning chapters of Nicholas Nickleby, the novel Dickens wrote to expose corruption and mistreatment at private boarding schools, back in 1838!

JMO
Or the opening section of Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre. Two of her sisters died in a school that she used as the basis for Lowood, and there's good cause to think all the siblings died young because of it.

MOO

Nothing new from MSM. I hope this investigation does not end here. Unfortunately, this seems like one of those things that would need a lot of pushing from family but no one has even come forward about it being their child. It is so sad that this may get swept under the rug in some legal battle only to have another child die later down the road because nothing was done.

The parents are grieving and it must feel crushing, so I don't understand why it would be their responsibility to make sure this doesn't happen again. They don't decide whether the school stays open. They don't decide what the law allows.

Imagine if they went public with their son's story. They'd be judged severely by many people, and what difference would it make? This story has been all over the news, so the parents going public won't change whether the authorities who can take action do so.

Paris Hilton went public. Did it stop this from happening? (I am glad she did and admire her courage. It educated many people. Yet this still happens!)

My point being - it is not on these poor parents to make sure this doesn't happen again.

How awful! From the link;

He had been required to sleep in a tubelike tent, known as a bivy, enclosed by a solid plastic sheet. Upon discovering that CJH’s bivy’s zipper was broken, the report says, “staff needed a zip tie out of the tool bag,” though it doesn’t specify how the zip tie was used.

A staff member told law enforcement that they believed the sleeping arrangements “had a lot to do with” the boy’s death, according to the report, and that “suffocation is always possible if the equipment is being used wrong.” Another staff member, also unnamed, told law enforcement he believed CJH suffocated and that the camp was responsible for the death, the report stated.

How awful! From the link;

He had been required to sleep in a tubelike tent, known as a bivy, enclosed by a solid plastic sheet. Upon discovering that CJH’s bivy’s zipper was broken, the report says, “staff needed a zip tie out of the tool bag,” though it doesn’t specify how the zip tie was used.

A staff member told law enforcement that they believed the sleeping arrangements “had a lot to do with” the boy’s death, according to the report, and that “suffocation is always possible if the equipment is being used wrong.” Another staff member, also unnamed, told law enforcement he believed CJH suffocated and that the camp was responsible for the death, the report stated.
I still think he died earlier than after 3am. Rigor and blood pooling was well established and he was cold. I think he died closer to midnight, when the panic attack was reported.

MOO

Also from that article:
"The boy who died had asked to call his mother shortly after he arrived, but was not allowed to do so under the camp’s policies, according to the report."

If he had been allowed to call, it probably wouldn't have changed anything, and I'm sure children often ask to call their parents, but it's just heart-breaking. I assume he was going to ask to come home. Of course parents would all say to give the "camp" a chance. It says they might lose their license and have to shut down for good, and I sincerely hope that happens.

I do think there's a place in this world for better, safer programs that the child has to agree to attend (rather than be forced or pressured to attend.)

"He had been required to sleep in a tubelike tent, known as a bivy, enclosed by a solid plastic sheet. Upon discovering that CJH’s bivy’s zipper was broken, the report says, “staff needed a zip tie out of the tool bag,” though it doesn’t specify how the zip tie was used."

". Two parents told the state inspectors they did not know children were required to sleep in a bivy. The camp had previously required children to sleep in a “burrito” — in which they were zipped into their sleeping bag and then covered with a tarp — but told NBC News it changed to the bivy system last year. "

"The department’s licensing inspectors concluded that the sleeping arrangements did not provide “dignity or respect” to children, violating state regulations."

"The boy who died had asked to call his mother shortly after he arrived, but was not allowed to do so under the camp’s policies, according to the report."

"According to the report, a staff member told law enforcement that he’d heard CJH “breathing heavily” around 3 a.m., but “couldn’t physically see the inside of bivy because it wasn’t clear.” The staff member, who is unnamed in the report, said they later heard mumbling and “shallower breathing” from the direction of the bivy, and were unsure if it was from CJH or another employee. "

IMO: Looking at it like this. These kids are here because of behavioral issues right? Maybe doing drugs, running away, drinking alcohol, possibly on their way to bigger harder crimes. Parents can't control them so they send them here.

Why is it that they are given fewer options and less respect than say someone who commits murder and lands in prison? Someone commits murder, gets arrested, and maybe is not treated 100% nicely but they are given a bed (not tied down in a bag), water, food, and a toilet whenever they need it, if they need help a guard can peak in on them. Medical if they need it.

I can kind of see not allowing them to call parents right away but why are they not given a case worker or something? Getting arrested for a crime you're still allowed a phone call to a lawyer. I guess I still cannot understand how these kids can be treated with less care than an adult who commits hard crime.

in reading the report, note that the report/findings of problems are described in column on the left while the facility's response with their POC (Plan of Correction) to those items can be found on the column on the right. Their responses and lack of POCs show they STILL do not think they've done anything wrong or outside the regulations and contain no plan to right the wrongs.

MOO They will not be getting their license renewed. Instead of advising of their plan to correct they use their response to the report to right fight. wrong move Trails. JS

the State Report referenced in the article above.
Let's bring this tragic list to light.

Trails Carolina 20240422-080552-1​

Medication count for deceased client "was off" p. 23
Health & Wellness Director was "a wilderness therapy kid (client) and came back to do this role" p. 24
"Nothing is streamlined because of our transitional model ... We have a lot of records" p. 24
Large stack of medication reports not filed p. 26
"not uncommon for parents to be unresponsive to emails or phone calls" p. 26
"Due to the failure to accurately document medication administration, it could not be determined if clients received their medications as ordered by the physician" p. 27
"Numerous medications were administered to clients without physician orders and other medications were not administered as prescribed. ... Multiple [medication reports] were not provided for review as requested" p. 28
Trails says it is "against clinical recommendation" and could "potentially provide harm to students" if they're allowed to receive mail that hasn't been screened p. 28
Trails therapists review all incoming and outgoing mail; says the don't make changes to letters "without student or parent consent" p. 29
Trails says the law does NOT require them to allow children to make confidential/private phone calls to their families p. 31
Calls to parents by children is up to the decision of therapists p. 31
Failed to ensure clients had the right to communicate with parents p. 33
Parents must sign consent form granting Trails "exclusive control of my child" and to review and restrict all incoming/outgoing mail p. 34
Phone calls to parents must be approved by therapist p. 36
Deceased client's parents did not return phone call from state p. 36
Phone calls with parents were not private - therapist was there p. 36
Parent says "There is no correspondence. ... We didn't have access to communicate with [child] while he was there." p. 37
Deceased client "demanded to call his mom ... in our program, they (clients) are not to contact their family at that time ... I wanted to say 'yeah, here's my phone'" p. 37
Deceased client "demanded to call his mom ... in our program, they (clients) are not to contact their family at that time ... I wanted to say 'yeah, here's my phone'" p. 37
Bivy's and "burritos" will no longer be used, "even though these have been state approved" p. 40
Lawyer decided that the internal investigation of the death was "privileged". p. 42
Facility attorney interviewed staff the night of the death, and results of investigation would not be released p. 43
Description of bivy p. 45
Staff did not complete required night checks on deceased client p. 47
Small plastic sheet was placed around the outside of the bivy p. 49
Staff thought they heard "shallow breathing" from the area where the deceased client was at 6am but could not determine. At 7:45am staff tried to wake up deceased client" p. 50
Deceased client's bivy had been fully enclosed p. 50
"there was an issue with the zipper on [deceased client's] bivy" p. 50
At 3am, deceased client was "breathing heavily" p. 51
Staff couldn't see the inside of the bivy because it wasn't clear' p. 51
Staff couldn't see the inside of the bivy because it wasn't clear' p. 51
"I do feel like the bivy had a lot to do with it (the death) ... Suffocation is always possible if equipment is being used wrong" p. 51
State finds that staff failed to provide proper supervision of deceased client p. 52
The hard shell cover that goes around the bivy - "most student don't like that... makes it feel claustrophobic" p. 55

cont:

Unknown staff member says yes, they think deceased client suffocated and that the camp was responsible p. 58
head of zipper came off of deceased client's bivy and staff put it in their pocket p. 60
Executive director said other wilderness programs use a bivy p. 62
Deceased client "was a physically healthy [redacted] child" p. 64
"no one checked on him inside the bivy for his wellbeing despite being non-responsive to staff prompts" p. 65
Staff assigned to check on deceased client could not physically see the kid at 3 and 6am, and he admitted that he could not tell if the breathing was from the client or staff p. 65
"They failed to follow internal procedure for sleeping modification for students. They could not visually assess deceased client because the outside of the bivy was closed. The bivy was also damaged and the zipper was broken" p. 65
Medical examiner's report and toxicology are pending, but preliminary results reported the death as unnatural p. 66
A mother was not aware their child had slept in a bivy on the first night p. 77
Another parent did not know kids were placed in a bivy p. 77
"the zipper part fell off so we zipped up the wind shell part" p. 78
"prior process was the burrito" ... facility workshopped a new idea and came up with the bivy/alarm system p. 78
"prior process was the burrito" ... facility is "workshopping" a new idea p. 78
Deceased client was "boxed in 4 directions" against the wall p. 79
no training on claustrophobia p. 79
Staff said you cannot see the kid through the bivy because it's not clear p. 80
The burrito "sounds more inhumane" p. 80
"I absolutely agree with that" (the bivy being "traumatic") p. 80
"There was an issue with the zipper on deceased client's bivy and staff needed a zip tie out of the tool bag" p. 80
Changed within last 6 months from burrito to the bivy p. 81
Got the bivy idea from other programs; don't think they tell parents about it p. 86
State says that the burrito did not provide "dignity or respect" to kids p. 88
Therapists had control of moving clients off of status requiring the bivy, but they were not trained or knowledgable on the bivy system; Parents were not told about the bivy system; the founder/executive director did not have first hand knowledge of the bivy system p. 88

Original Document (PDF) »

Contributed by Tyler Kingkade (NBC News)
OCR: Tesseract

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz