NC NC - Aaron Cody Fortner aka Cody Smith 25, belongings left @ home, Savannah, Jackson Co, 21 Feb 2022

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office mobile command station was set up at the Savannah Fire Department Monday morning as search and rescue teams gathered to begin looking for 25-year-old Aaron Cody Fortner.

Aaron Fortner, who goes by Cody Smith on his social media accounts, is described as a white male with dark hair, brown eyes, and a slender build and lived in the Savannah Community of Jackson County.

The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office, Jackson County Emergency Management, Savannah Fire Department, and Jackson County Rescue Squad along with family and friends are continuing the search for Fortner in the Savannah Community, however little to no details into his disappearance have been discovered.

According to family, Fortner has been missing since about 2:30 a.m. Monday morning. All of his belongings were left in his home including his wallet, keys, a bag he always carried and his phone charger. His phone was not found in his home. No one has had any contact with him and both his phone and social media accounts have had no activity since Monday morning.

If you have any information concerning Fortner or his whereabouts please contact the Sheriff’s Office at 828-586-4355 or dispatch at 828-586-1911.

273951598_923166555017740_6001422345372817730_n-1.jpg

Jackson County law enforcement on fourth day of search for missing 25 year old - The Southern Scoop

Oh dear, doesn't sound promising, but who knows...maybe a break is just what this fellow needed, and he'll head back home. Anyone have details on his emotional/mental stability, or if there had been any recent events that might have upset him to the point he would disappear? He is right at the top range of when the onset of a mental illness would surface, so that's not my leading speculation. My guess is his disappearance is triggered by a specific incident, and likely of a romantic nature.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Still missing, concerning info, apparently items in his camper were thrown all over.

JACKSON COUNTY, N.C. (WLOS) — The family of a missing Jackson County man is begging anyone with information on the 25-year-old’s whereabouts to come forward.

Aaron Cody Fortner was last seen at his camper on Fox Trace Drive on Feb. 20, said his sister, Kourtney Biddix.

“I just want him home,” she said.

More at 'Someone can't just disappear': Family of missing Jackson Co. man pleads for help

It’s been two weeks since 25-year-old Aaron Fortner disappeared from Western North Carolina — leaving few clues other than a disheveled trailer and a string of unexplained phone calls to his grandparents, according to family and friends.

Fortner was last believed to be at his camper on Fox Trace Road in Sylva, North Carolina, around 2:30 a.m. on Feb. 21, the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office said. Sylva is a town of about 2,700 people that encompasses less than 3 square miles at the foot of the Great Smoky Mountains.

More at https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article259144108.html

SBM
  • ...the camper had been upended with all the lights and his electric blanket still on.
  • ...it was “turned upside down.” She said he “left everything behind” that he would normally take with him and that he “never left his place in a mess, ever.” A hat was also found in the driveway that Fortner was wearing the night before he disappeared, L said. She said he also called his grandparents intermittently until 1 or 2 a.m. that night “talking strange.”

#still more at https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article259144108.html

Officials also said Fortner sometimes uses the following names: Cody Black, Cody Smith, Cody Fortner and Aaron Winehouse.

I guess I don't understand why all the names? Was he trying to stay away from someone?

OK found answer to my own question - apparently for use on dating apps instead of real name. Comments:

Last edited:
SBM
Family just wants Fortner home

Apr 6, 2022

KB knew her son, Aaron Cody Fortner, struggled sometimes, but she never thought those struggles might lead to his disappearance.

SNIP

Fortner, like many, had personal demons. He struggled with alcohol abuse to the point that he moved back home from Tennessee to get sober. He received treatment in Bryson City and had been trying to pick up the pieces of his life with the love and support of his family when he vanished.

Sunday, Feb. 21 around 7 p.m., B took Fortner to Dollar General in the Savannah community to buy groceries. Fortner stayed in the car with his younger sister, K. Even then he was displaying symptoms that something was wrong. But his mother would not know that until much later.

After Fortner disappeared, K told her mother he had been hallucinating.

SNIP

Around midnight Fortner began calling his grandparents insisting someone was coming for him and that his camper had to be moved.

#more at link

Aaron's mom and sister are hosing an event.

SATURDAY, APRIL 23, 2022 AT 8 AM – 11 AM CDT

Search party for missing person Aaron Cody Fortner
Sylva, NC
Aaron Cody Fortner disappeared on February 21st 2022. There was a trucker that had heard someone yelling at the dollar general near the savannah fire department around 3 am the morning he disappeared. The police didn’t do a full search of the woods behind that area and we want to try and do a longer and more extensive search. We will be looking for an iPhone or worse. Please try and help out a grieving mother and family.

Oh no. I don’t know how long he had been sober for, but it sounds like he may have had the DTs, especially if he stopped drinking cold turkey (without any benzo taper). Delirium and hallucinations are often seen when people hit this point of withdrawing unsafely and it’s medically very dangerous (risk for seizures, super high blood pressure, stroke, heart attack). I’m wondering if he had a medical event or an accident while in his apparent confusion (as evidence by the tossed camper and odd speech). All my own opinion and speculation, of course. I’ve cared for many people in the DTs and it’s ringing a lot of familiar bells. Meth use, insomnia and mental illness can also present like this, but I obviously am not privy to his personal life, nor do I want to speculate. I just hope that his family is able to locate him, one way or another

SBM
  • ...the camper had been upended with all the lights and his electric blanket still on.
  • ...it was “turned upside down.” She said he “left everything behind” that he would normally take with him and that he “never left his place in a mess, ever.” A hat was also found in the driveway that Fortner was wearing the night before he disappeared, L said. She said he also called his grandparents intermittently until 1 or 2 a.m. that night “talking strange.”

#still more at https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article259144108.html
Uggh

Such a cute young man. I can't imagine the pain and grief his family is feeling, without him, or any clues to his whereabout. His sister recently posted online that it seems he just vanished into thin air. I hope this small town will utilize some outside resources for more insight into Cody's case.
JMO, MOO, etc.

FEB 20, 2023
  • Fortner was last seen at his home on Fox Trace Road in Sylva, NC on Monday, Feb. 21.
  • He was last believed to be in the area of his home around 2:30 a.m.
  • Fortner also goes by the names Cody Black, Cody Smith, Cody Fortner and Aaron Winehouse.
“Something was happening that was scaring him,” Biddix said.

According to Biddix, Fortner had made several calls to their grandparents. He told his grandmother he didn’t know where he was and that people were looking for him.

“I’m afraid that somebody might have taken him and then I’m not sure, maybe hurt him,” Biddix said. “He was on some dating apps and stuff like that, so you could meet strangers anywhere, which is a worrying thing.”

fortner_aaron5.jpg
fortner_aaron6.jpg
fortner_aaron7.jpg
fortner_aaron8.jpg
fortner_aaron9.jpg

• Missing Since 02/21/2022
  • Missing From Sylva, North Carolina
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 09/29/1996 (26)
  • Age 25 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'7 - 5'9, 130 - 140 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Fortner has the following tattoos: a geometric deer design on his right wrist, a deer with a cross on his left upper arm at the shoulder, a paw print and wolf design on his left upper arm at the shoulder, and a mountain scene with the words "HAPPY CAMPER" on his ankle. Photos of some of the tattoos are posted with this case summary. He may use the following alias names: Cody Black, Cody Fortner, Cody Smith and/or Aaron Winehouse.

Details of Disappearance​

Fortner was last seen at his camper, which was parked near his family's residence in the 100 block of Fox Trace Road in Sylva, North Carolina at 2:30 a.m. on February 21, 2022. He had been acting strangely, as if he was scared, and had made several calls to his grandparents, saying he didn't know where he was and that people were looking for him.

When his sister went to the camper to check on him he was gone. The camper appeared to have been ransacked and Fortner's wallet, keys, phone charger and the bag he normally carried were left inside it. The lights were on, as was Fortner's electric blanket. His hat was lying in the driveway. His mother and sister were so concerned about the state of the camper that she called 911 immediately.

It's uncharacteristic of Fortner to leave without warning or be out of touch with his family. The only item that disappeared with him was his phone, and since his disapperance there's been no activity on the phone. His case remains unsolved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back