NC NC - Allen Croft, 46, Durham, 11 May 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally I am getting help from BriAnne Dopart, she is the crime scene reporter for the Durham Herald Sun.....She is going to do a story about unsolved murders in Durham, and the tremendous political climate that is preventing LE from doing their jobs.....
I implore you all to read a site called Officer.com and read just what the police think and do...It is disgusting how apathetic they are towards the dead, their families, and even joke about the crime scenes!

It is a disgrace that our nation has become so blind to corruption, and LE must be held accountable for their actions, and behavior!

Please pray for my family, and me, as I need God's help to get through all of this! It will soon hit the press, then from there I am praying will snowball into action!

There are other problems in Durham besides the rape case! They have ignored my pleas for information, refused to act on my requests for Internal Affairs to investigate, and have even blacklisted me from the county website from making reports of the injustice, and my rights deliberately ignored!

But, I have faith God will see the truth come to light, and that my brother and Janet Araboa's murderers will be held accountable, IN THIS LIFETIME!

God Bless You All!
Love,
Rhonda

You are making headway aren't you! How did you happen to make contact with the reporter in Durham? You will have to give us the link to the story once it hits the newspapers. Have you heard any thing from the Attorney General's Assist yet? Can't wait to read the story. Keep up the good work. An inch at a time is sometimes the way it works.

I have again been threatened by LE to stop asking for Internal Affairs, or I would be sued?!:doh:

Ironic huh?!:sick:

They must think that if they scare me I will give up, but they have another thing coming! I cannot wait until the story is out, and all parties prosecuted, including LE who lied and threatened me!:behindbar

I also know they are reading my posts, and have blacklisted me from the county website, what do they have to hide?! Ineptness and corruption at every level is what!

Thank God for your prayers, and for Miss Dopart!:dance: As soon as the story is out I will post the link here. I also plan on bringing attention to Janet's case also! It disgusts me to know these twits are running amuck, and think they will not be held accountable!

If some of you want to read some of the disgusting threads they post about deaths, go to a site called Officer.com.

They kicked me off LoL! Guess I ruffled some feathers!:woohoo:

Oh well, so much for them! :boohoo:

Like I posted on the site, if they don't want to do the job they took an oath to do, then QUIT! :loser:

Please remember my family, and all of us out here suffering in your prayers!
ALL things ARE possible for those who love the Lord, and in him I have faith!
:clap:

God Bless you all, and THANK YOU for caring!!!!
Rhonda :blowkiss:

Here is more proof of just how corrupt these officers are! I know there are good and bad LE everywhere, but this is INSANE!

I have been screaming about how unjust they have been for so long, and now this! I have begged and pleaded at every level of government for help, and now the world can see I was right! Inept isn't even the word, but corruption begins to sum it up! The fact of the matter is this behavior has been known of, and has gone unspoken till now! If not for the tapes, none of us would have ever known!

If the citizens of Durham stand by and allow this to continue, they are fools! Who is responsable for the level of degradation?! What will be done to punish those involved?! Will they sit idly by and say and do nothing?!

I hope the people have enough sense to see the truth, and care enough to make a change!

Deputy's crimes more serious?

Here is proof of crimes "most certainly unbecoming an officer!" [url="http://ads.heraldsun.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/default/empty.gif"]http://ads.heraldsun.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/default/empty.gif[/url]

By BriAnne Dopart : The Herald-Sun
bdopart@heraldsun.com
Oct 18, 2006 : 10:45 pm ET

DURHAM -- The former sheriff's deputy fired for his alleged involvement in a wide array of illegal activities at a local Durham nightclub may have been involved in more serious crimes than the ones for which he already stands accused, Durham County Sheriff's officials said Wednesday.

Sheriff's investigators are looking for information that may connect former deputy Mike Owens to both human trafficking and murder for hire, according to Capt. Paul Martin of the Sheriff's Office.

Owens and six Hispanic males were arrested Saturday in a raid of the 2825 North Roxboro Road nightclub La Zona. During the raid, approximately 5 ounces of cocaine were seized by investigators.

Two other deputies, William "Keith" Dodson and Brad King, both of whom worked as off-duty officers at the club, were fired Monday for allegedly violating the Sheriff's Office's "secondary employment" policy.

No criminal charges have yet been lodged against Dodson and King, who may have been unaware of what was allegedly occurring inside the club, Martin said Wednesday.

Search warrants released Tuesday for the 2825 North Roxboro establishment owned by the former deputy alleged that vehicles and individuals seen frequenting the club are known to be involved in a wide array of criminal activities in Durham including "drug trafficking, armed robberies, murder (for hire), prostitution and human trafficking."

Asked Wednesday to elaborate on the warrant's mention of "murder for hire," Martin said investigators do not yet have any solid evidence Owens' played "a direct role" in any murders for hire. They do have, however, recorded conversations in which Owens discussed murder schemes, Martin said.

Investigators who listened to hours of conversation transmitted by an audio-recording device inside La Zona nightclub heard Owens discussing activity involving "hit" men, Martin said.

"He's not the suspect of an actual murder ... he's just been involved in conversations about it," Martin alleged. Martin added that investigators are looking into what role, if any, Owens played in crimes he allegedly discussed on the recordings.

Sheriff Worth Hill said that murder was the first thing that came to mind when he'd learned of Owens' alleged involvement in the illegal activities at La Zona, "but we don't have any evidence," he added.

Martin said investigators are also looking for any connections between what they alleged was prostitution going on at La Zona and a prostitution ring the Durham Police Department announced it was investigating in August. During that investigation, police named houses at 116 Junction Road, 217 North Hoover Road and 1949 Cheek Road as alleged houses of prostitution.

Martin said investigators have yet to verify any connection between the La Zona case and that particular network of brothels.

Still "furious" about his deputies' alleged involvement -- either directly or on the periphery -- in the purportedly seedy on-goings of La Zona nightclub, Hill said he is seriously considering prohibiting all of his deputies from doing "off-duty work" work at bars and nightclubs.

According to the sheriff's current policy (last updated in 2000), deputies can work at establishments that serve alcohol, but they cannot enter the establishment except to use the bathroom. The rule can be bent only if the deputy knows of criminal activity going on inside the establishment -- such as a fight breaking out at the bar -- Hill said.

The Durham County Sheriff's Office has more requests for off-duty deputies than it can handle, Hill said, so he's not concerned about cutting into any deputy's much-needed second job. Hill said he doesn't know exactly how many deputies are employed at nightclubs and bars, but said he is sure "there's a whole lot of 'em."

The policy change would be the only change made to Sheriff's Office procedure because of the La Zona scandal, said Hill.

Hill said he is confident no other Sheriff's Office personnel will be implicated in the La Zona probe and that he sees no need for any further investigation into his agency.

Hill said he would meet with his remaining deputies at 7:30 a.m. today to discuss the effect negative press swirling around the agency has had on deputies' morale?!

:boohoo: :furious:

Here is more proof of just how corrupt these officers are! I know there are good and bad LE everywhere, but this is INSANE!

I have been screaming about how unjust they have been for so long, and now this! I have begged and pleaded at every level of government for help, and now the world can see I was right! Inept isn't even the word, but corruption begins to sum it up! The fact of the matter is this behavior has been known of, and has gone unspoken till now! If not for the tapes, none of us would have ever known!

If the citizens of Durham stand by and allow this to continue, they are fools! Who is responsable for the level of degradation?! What will be done to punish those involved?! Will they sit idly by and say and do nothing?!

I hope the people have enough sense to see the truth, and care enough to make a change!

Here is proof of crimes "most certainly unbecoming an officer!" [url="http://ads.heraldsun.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/default/empty.gif"]http://ads.heraldsun.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/default/empty.gif[/url]

bdopart@heraldsun.com

DURHAM -- The former sheriff's deputy fired for his alleged involvement in a wide array of illegal activities at a local Durham nightclub may have been involved in more serious crimes than the ones for which he already stands accused, Durham County Sheriff's officials said Wednesday.

Sheriff's investigators are looking for information that may connect former deputy Mike Owens to both human trafficking and murder for hire, according to Capt. Paul Martin of the Sheriff's Office.

Owens and six Hispanic males were arrested Saturday in a raid of the 2825 North Roxboro Road nightclub La Zona. During the raid, approximately 5 ounces of cocaine were seized by investigators.

Two other deputies, William "Keith" Dodson and Brad King, both of whom worked as off-duty officers at the club, were fired Monday for allegedly violating the Sheriff's Office's "secondary employment" policy.

No criminal charges have yet been lodged against Dodson and King, who may have been unaware of what was allegedly occurring inside the club, Martin said Wednesday.

Search warrants released Tuesday for the 2825 North Roxboro establishment owned by the former deputy alleged that vehicles and individuals seen frequenting the club are known to be involved in a wide array of criminal activities in Durham including "drug trafficking, armed robberies, murder (for hire), prostitution and human trafficking."

Asked Wednesday to elaborate on the warrant's mention of "murder for hire," Martin said investigators do not yet have any solid evidence Owens' played "a direct role" in any murders for hire. They do have, however, recorded conversations in which Owens discussed murder schemes, Martin said.

Investigators who listened to hours of conversation transmitted by an audio-recording device inside La Zona nightclub heard Owens discussing activity involving "hit" men, Martin said.

"He's not the suspect of an actual murder ... he's just been involved in conversations about it," Martin alleged. Martin added that investigators are looking into what role, if any, Owens played in crimes he allegedly discussed on the recordings.

Sheriff Worth Hill said that murder was the first thing that came to mind when he'd learned of Owens' alleged involvement in the illegal activities at La Zona, "but we don't have any evidence," he added.

Martin said investigators are also looking for any connections between what they alleged was prostitution going on at La Zona and a prostitution ring the Durham Police Department announced it was investigating in August. During that investigation, police named houses at 116 Junction Road, 217 North Hoover Road and 1949 Cheek Road as alleged houses of prostitution.

Martin said investigators have yet to verify any connection between the La Zona case and that particular network of brothels.

Still "furious" about his deputies' alleged involvement -- either directly or on the periphery -- in the purportedly seedy on-goings of La Zona nightclub, Hill said he is seriously considering prohibiting all of his deputies from doing "off-duty work" work at bars and nightclubs.

According to the sheriff's current policy (last updated in 2000), deputies can work at establishments that serve alcohol, but they cannot enter the establishment except to use the bathroom. The rule can be bent only if the deputy knows of criminal activity going on inside the establishment -- such as a fight breaking out at the bar -- Hill said.

The Durham County Sheriff's Office has more requests for off-duty deputies than it can handle, Hill said, so he's not concerned about cutting into any deputy's much-needed second job. Hill said he doesn't know exactly how many deputies are employed at nightclubs and bars, but said he is sure "there's a whole lot of 'em."

The policy change would be the only change made to Sheriff's Office procedure because of the La Zona scandal, said Hill.

Hill said he is confident no other Sheriff's Office personnel will be implicated in the La Zona probe and that he sees no need for any further investigation into his agency.

Hill said he would meet with his remaining deputies at 7:30 a.m. today to discuss the effect negative press swirling around the agency has had on deputies' morale.

[url="http://ads.heraldsun.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/default/empty.gif"]http://ads.heraldsun.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/default/empty.gif[/url]

bdopart@heraldsun.com

bdopart@heraldsun.com

Hill said he would meet with his remaining deputies at 7:30 a.m. today to discuss the effect negative press swirling around the agency has had on deputies' morale.

:boohoo: :furious:

bdopart@heraldsun.com

:behindbar

WOW!!! Do you by chance think that your sister-in-law might have hired someone out of this article or connected to it? Wouldn't that be something if the roof fell in on your sister-in-laws head because of this bust!!!

:doh: At this point, NOTHING would surprise me, and I DID call the DOJ, and Miss Dopart to see if I was on the "list!"

I told you guys how corrupt they are, and I am going to post this on EVERY site I can to draw attention to them! This was NOT on my local news.....YET!

I got this from the website, and pray this will get the mass media attention, and draw away all of the drama from the rape case, to the real crimes of unsolved murders, and corrupt officials!
:sick: :liar:

Did the sheriff's dept have anything to do with investigating Jack's death? Well, I guess it wasn't really investigated but did they have anything to do with being at the scene or any reports or anything? Or was it just the reg LE?
I guess if it was a deputy or two that were hiring out as hitmen it wouldn't matter but I was wondering if his death would have been covered up if those particuliar deputies had anything to do with investigating and coming to the conclusion of a suicide. Am I making any sense?

SAMIHA KHANNA, ERIC FERRERI
The News & Observer (Raleigh, North Carolina)

logo_lexis.gif

DURHAM -- The discovery of cocaine at a northern Durham bar led to the firing Monday of three Durham sheriff's deputies, including one already charged with drug trafficking and another considered a gang expert.

Deputy Michael P. Owens, arrested Friday after officials raided his business, La Zona Sports Bar & Billiards on North Roxboro Street, was dismissed along with Deputy William Keith Dodson, and Cpl. Bradley King.

Dodson and King, both deputies since 1999, were fired for violating policies governing off-duty work, Sheriff Worth Hill said.

The two spent time inside La Zona while hired to guard the door. Sheriff's Office policy states that while working at a bar, deputies must stay outside, Hill said.

Neither had been charged with a crime. "Some people may have violated the law, but we are unable to prove that at this time," said Capt. Paul Martin of the Sheriff's Office.

Dodson headed an anti-gang unit and often gave multimedia presentations to the public and police on gang colors and hand signs. His work earned him a national award in 2004 from the National Gang Crime Research Center in Chicago.

Hill said there's no evidence Dodson's work as a gang investigator was involved with the crimes he says happened at La Zona.

Reached by phone Monday, Dodson declined to comment. Efforts to contact King and Owens were unsuccessful.

King worked as a patrol deputy. Owens, of 4800 University Drive, Apt. 29-G, worked in civil law enforcement with tax collections. All three are in their early 30s, Martin said.

Hill said he knew each of the deputies well, especially Dodson, whom he coached on a youth football team years ago.

"If I was a betting man, I would have lost some money," Hill said. "They were outstanding deputies."

So far, five men, including former Deputy Owens, have been charged in the discovery of 4.5 ounces of cocaine at La Zona during a raid Friday night.

The four others charged with trafficking by possession of the cocaine were: Sergio Garcia Perez, 23; Mario Garcia Segura, 21; and Isidoro Vallinas Domingues, 25, all of 3106 E. Geer St.; and Jose Manuel Ramirez, 21, of 453 California St. in Belhaven.

Owens is the bar's sole owner, said Maj. Lucy Zastrow. The building's owner was changing the locks on La Zona's front doors Monday to evict the business, and the bar's alcohol permits were being revoked, officials said.

The venue is nestled in a strip of businesses on North Roxboro Street. It has been operating as a bar and pool hall since at least 1989 under names including Touchdown Billiards and Somewhere Else Sports Bar, according to records with the state Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission.

It appears Owens took over the business within the past year. In August, Owens started a company, MOR Enterprises, and days later applied for a temporary permit to serve beer and wine at La Zona, according to state records.

The only complaints that alcohol law enforcement officials have received about the bar were about beer bottles and other litter scattered by patrons, said Derrick McMillan, chief of law enforcement for the Durham County Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission.

Monday's firings culminated at least two months of surveillance and collaboration with federal officers, Zastrow said.

Hill said he's now considering banning officers from off-duty work in bars. The temptations may be just too great, he said.

logo_lexis.gif

DURHAM -- The discovery of cocaine at a northern Durham bar led to the firing Monday of three Durham sheriff's deputies, including one already charged with drug trafficking and another considered a gang expert.

Deputy Michael P. Owens, arrested Friday after officials raided his business, La Zona Sports Bar & Billiards on North Roxboro Street, was dismissed along with Deputy William Keith Dodson, and Cpl. Bradley King.

Dodson and King, both deputies since 1999, were fired for violating policies governing off-duty work, Sheriff Worth Hill said.

The two spent time inside La Zona while hired to guard the door. Sheriff's Office policy states that while working at a bar, deputies must stay outside, Hill said.

Neither had been charged with a crime. "Some people may have violated the law, but we are unable to prove that at this time," said Capt. Paul Martin of the Sheriff's Office.

Dodson headed an anti-gang unit and often gave multimedia presentations to the public and police on gang colors and hand signs. His work earned him a national award in 2004 from the National Gang Crime Research Center in Chicago.

Hill said there's no evidence Dodson's work as a gang investigator was involved with the crimes he says happened at La Zona.

Reached by phone Monday, Dodson declined to comment. Efforts to contact King and Owens were unsuccessful.

King worked as a patrol deputy. Owens, of 4800 University Drive, Apt. 29-G, worked in civil law enforcement with tax collections. All three are in their early 30s, Martin said.

Hill said he knew each of the deputies well, especially Dodson, whom he coached on a youth football team years ago.

"If I was a betting man, I would have lost some money," Hill said. "They were outstanding deputies."

So far, five men, including former Deputy Owens, have been charged in the discovery of 4.5 ounces of cocaine at La Zona during a raid Friday night.

The four others charged with trafficking by possession of the cocaine were: Sergio Garcia Perez, 23; Mario Garcia Segura, 21; and Isidoro Vallinas Domingues, 25, all of 3106 E. Geer St.; and Jose Manuel Ramirez, 21, of 453 California St. in Belhaven.

Owens is the bar's sole owner, said Maj. Lucy Zastrow. The building's owner was changing the locks on La Zona's front doors Monday to evict the business, and the bar's alcohol permits were being revoked, officials said.

The venue is nestled in a strip of businesses on North Roxboro Street. It has been operating as a bar and pool hall since at least 1989 under names including Touchdown Billiards and Somewhere Else Sports Bar, according to records with the state Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission.

It appears Owens took over the business within the past year. In August, Owens started a company, MOR Enterprises, and days later applied for a temporary permit to serve beer and wine at La Zona, according to state records.

The only complaints that alcohol law enforcement officials have received about the bar were about beer bottles and other litter scattered by patrons, said Derrick McMillan, chief of law enforcement for the Durham County Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission.

Monday's firings culminated at least two months of surveillance and collaboration with federal officers, Zastrow said.

Hill said he's now considering banning officers from off-duty work in bars. The temptations may be just too great, he said.

logo_lexis.gif

[font=Bookman,Cookie,Arial,Helvetica][size=+2]Media Awareness Project[/size][/font]
[font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]<< Prev[/font][font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]Area[/font][font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]Author[/font][font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]Email[/font][font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]Index[/font][font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]Print[/font][font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]Source[/font][font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]Translate[/font][font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]Next >> [/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica]US NC: Fired Deputy Tied To Counterfeiting

[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica]URL: http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v06/n1401/a06.html
Newshawk: chip
Votes: 0
Pubdate: Wed, 18 Oct 2006
Source: Herald-Sun, The (Durham, NC)
Copyright: 2006 The Herald-Sun
Contact:male2('letters','heraldsun.com'); letters@heraldsun.com
Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/1428
Author: BriAnne Dopart

[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica]FIRED DEPUTY TIED TO COUNTERFEITING

DURHAM -- A Durham sheriff's deputy fired after being charged with selling cocaine at his bar was involved in a counterfeit money scheme, according to legal documents that allege hit men, prostitutes, drug dealers and people involved in human trafficking frequented the now-closed establishment. A search warrant issued Oct. 13 by a Durham Superior Court judge gave permission to the Sheriff's Office to search Michael Owens, the owner of La Zona nightclub at 2825 North Roxboro Road, and six Hispanic males who were targets of an undercover operation.

Seven vehicles, including Ford Mustangs, Expeditions and Cadillac Escalades, also were targets of the search warrant. In the search warrant narrative spelling out the reason the document was sought, a confidential source informed the Durham County Sheriff's Office that Owens and another man identified only as Miguel made a deal to purchase $40,000 in counterfeit $100 bills in exchange for $10,000 in real currency. The May 2006 deal, in Atlanta, Ga., presumably was made to help Owens put up his $50,000 share to purchase the bar.

The warrant goes on to list tawdry details of sex for hire, open-air drug transactions near off-duty sheriff's deputies working as security, a system of manufacturing, dividing and selling cocaine inside of the bar and connections to a multi-state counterfeiting operation. The investigation into the club began when the FBI arranged for a confidential source to meet with members of the Durham County Sheriff's Office. Sheriff's Capt. Paul Martin said he believes the information about activities inside the club, purchased by Owens in April 2006, is credible. Sheriff's Deputies Owens, William Dodson and Bradley King were fired for their alleged involvement in illegal activities at the nightclub, Sheriff Worth Hill announced at a press conference Monday. Owens was charged last week with trafficking cocaine, conspiracy and maintaining a building for drug sales.

Four Hispanic male accomplices also were charged. The unidentified source told sheriff's deputies that cars frequently parked outside the establishment were "known to be involved in illegal activities" including "drug trafficking, armed robberies, murder ( for hire ), prostitution and human trafficking," according to the search warrant. The source, according to the search warrant, informed the Sheriff's Office that Owens "put up" $50,000 to buy the business.

While the source told Martin and the deputy how Owens financed $20,000 towards the purchase through the former owner, he also stated that Owens and a man identified in the warrant only as "Miguel" made a deal in May 2006 to purchase counterfeit $100 bills from someone in Atlanta, Ga.

On April 4, Owens and Rodney D.J. Long, 34, of 1601 Pebble Ridge Drive, Raleigh, registered MORL Enterprises LLC with the state.

The corporation was used to buy the bar. That business registration was dissolved Aug. 21, and Owens incorporated anew under MOR Enterprises LLC the same day. The confidential informant said he purchased liquor licenses for La Zona under his name, at Owens' request, to keep Owens' name out of state records. Managing the club was an individual identified in the warrant as "Floco." Martin said members of the Sheriff's Office knew Floco "from several drug interactions in which large quantities of cocaine and marijuana have been seized." Floco, Martin said in the affidavit, is also known "to be involved in the counterfeit money trade in this area as well as with others throughout several states."

Security guards told deputies that after Owens took over the club, they were instructed not to be "aggressive" in looking for drugs at the establishment and that "under no circumstances" should they ever check the bathrooms.

It was also during this time, the guards reported, that Owens stopped wearing his uniform when entering the club. He parked his vehicle, which was sometimes his county-issued patrol car, behind the establishment, the affidavit states.

In late August, investigators began sending confidential informants into La Zona to purchase different quantities of powdered cocaine.

In about a one-month period, confidential informants purchased cocaine from individuals inside the club at least seven times, according to the search warrant.

On one occasion, a sale took place 30 feet from the door of the club where "two off-duty deputies" were working.

During that alleged buy, the seller told the confidential informant he worked directly for Owens, who he referred to as "tha man."

The search warrant also makes references to prostitution within the establishment. On Aug. 31, a woman identified as "Lizzie" told the confidential informant $200 would buy a date with "the girls." Although Martin would not elaborate on the allegations of a prostitution ring within La Zona, he did confirm that investigators believed such activity had been going on there.

Attempts to contact Sheriff Hill for further comments were unsuccessful late Tuesday. Martin said he wanted to refrain from giving detailed comments about the investigation for fear of jeopardizing the integrity of the case. --- Search warrant highlights

Aug. 21, 2006 -- A confidential source tells sheriff's investigators and a Raleigh police detective that then Sheriff's Deputy Mike Owens and an accomplice bought $40,000 in counterfeit $100 bills for $10,000.

Aug. 31, 2006 -- A confidential source is sent into La Zona to attempt to buy drugs.

He is told to return the next night.

A woman working at the club, identified as "Lizzie," tells it costs "$200 for a 'date' with the girls."

Sept. 9, 2006 -- A second confidential source buys cocaine at the bar.

Sept. 16, 2006 -- The second confidential source again buys cocaine in La Zona and orders an "eight ball" of cocaine from another seller in La Zona.

Sept. 21, 2006 -- The second confidential source buys an "eight ball" just outside the front door of La Zona. Another drug dealer asks the source if he can buy the "eight ball." The source agrees and he and the dealer enter La Zona looking for a place to cut and repackage the cocaine.

They approach Owens who tells them to use the restroom because the back room was being used. A bartender, "Andrew," stands outside the restroom door to prevent anyone from entering while the cocaine is cut and repackaged.

Sept. 22, 2006 -- The second confidential source buys seven grams of cocaine in La Zona.

Sept. 28, 2006 -- The second confidential source meets "Chillo," "Andrew," and "Eric" inside La Zona, asks them for a half an ounce of cocaine but says he doesn't have money to pay for it. They give him a quarter ounce of cocaine and tell him they will give him the rest when he pays them the next day. They up the price from a total of $220 to $250 as a "fronting" charge.

Sept. 29, 2006 -- The second confidential source, wearing a listening device, returns to La Zona with the cash he's been given by police to pay for the cocaine.

The seller tells him he doesn't have enough to make up the second quarter ounce because a regular buyer needed some. The source seeks the full amount and is taken downstairs and led in front of a door from which "all the subjects came out yelling 'you can't be here,' and shut the door." Owens was seen coming up the stairs several minutes later.

The source is eventually provided 10 grams of cocaine.

--- WHAT THEY WERE LOOKING FOR Authorities were looking for items ranging from drugs to electronic devices when they obtained a search warrant for La Zona nightclub at 2825 N. Roxboro Road on Oct. 13.

Property to be seized: -- Any quantity of illegal drugs or paraphernalia used to make, sell, deliver or use drugs -- Papers, documents, keys or other evidence to show ownership of the premises - -- Computer systems -- Items including tapes, cassettes, cartridges, computer disk drives, monitors, printers, modems, digital imaging cameras, equipment used to make identification cards or counterfeit bills People to be searched: -- Deputy Sheriff Michael Owens -- Hispanic males going by the names of Miguel, Chillo, Andrew, Eric, Jose and Flaco -- Anyone in La Zona who is in daily operation of the business or in apparent control of it Vehicles to be searched: -- Red Chevrolet Z71 truck, N.C. registration -- Dark color Ford Expedition, N.C. registration VYB 6739 -- Champagne color Cadillac Escalade, N.C. registration VXP 8324 -- Dark blue Ford Explorer, N.C. temporary tag - -- Black Cadillac Escalade, N.C. registration KATRACHA -- Dark green Toyota Sequoia, N.C. registration VWR 4276 -- Silver Ford Mustang, N.C. temporary tag TP 41974 -- White Ford Mustang with blue top

[/font]

[font=Bookman,Cookie,Arial,Helvetica][size=+2]Media Awareness Project[/size][/font]
[font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]<< Prev[/font][font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]Area[/font][font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]Author[/font][font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]Email[/font][font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]Index[/font][font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]Print[/font][font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]Source[/font][font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]Translate[/font][font=Bookman,Arial,Helvetica]Next >> [/font]

[/font]

DURHAM -- A Durham sheriff's deputy fired after being charged with selling cocaine at his bar was involved in a counterfeit money scheme, according to legal documents that allege hit men, prostitutes, drug dealers and people involved in human trafficking frequented the now-closed establishment. A search warrant issued Oct. 13 by a Durham Superior Court judge gave permission to the Sheriff's Office to search Michael Owens, the owner of La Zona nightclub at 2825 North Roxboro Road, and six Hispanic males who were targets of an undercover operation.

Seven vehicles, including Ford Mustangs, Expeditions and Cadillac Escalades, also were targets of the search warrant. In the search warrant narrative spelling out the reason the document was sought, a confidential source informed the Durham County Sheriff's Office that Owens and another man identified only as Miguel made a deal to purchase $40,000 in counterfeit $100 bills in exchange for $10,000 in real currency. The May 2006 deal, in Atlanta, Ga., presumably was made to help Owens put up his $50,000 share to purchase the bar.

The warrant goes on to list tawdry details of sex for hire, open-air drug transactions near off-duty sheriff's deputies working as security, a system of manufacturing, dividing and selling cocaine inside of the bar and connections to a multi-state counterfeiting operation. The investigation into the club began when the FBI arranged for a confidential source to meet with members of the Durham County Sheriff's Office. Sheriff's Capt. Paul Martin said he believes the information about activities inside the club, purchased by Owens in April 2006, is credible. Sheriff's Deputies Owens, William Dodson and Bradley King were fired for their alleged involvement in illegal activities at the nightclub, Sheriff Worth Hill announced at a press conference Monday. Owens was charged last week with trafficking cocaine, conspiracy and maintaining a building for drug sales.

Four Hispanic male accomplices also were charged. The unidentified source told sheriff's deputies that cars frequently parked outside the establishment were "known to be involved in illegal activities" including "drug trafficking, armed robberies, murder ( for hire ), prostitution and human trafficking," according to the search warrant. The source, according to the search warrant, informed the Sheriff's Office that Owens "put up" $50,000 to buy the business.

While the source told Martin and the deputy how Owens financed $20,000 towards the purchase through the former owner, he also stated that Owens and a man identified in the warrant only as "Miguel" made a deal in May 2006 to purchase counterfeit $100 bills from someone in Atlanta, Ga.

On April 4, Owens and Rodney D.J. Long, 34, of 1601 Pebble Ridge Drive, Raleigh, registered MORL Enterprises LLC with the state.

The corporation was used to buy the bar. That business registration was dissolved Aug. 21, and Owens incorporated anew under MOR Enterprises LLC the same day. The confidential informant said he purchased liquor licenses for La Zona under his name, at Owens' request, to keep Owens' name out of state records. Managing the club was an individual identified in the warrant as "Floco." Martin said members of the Sheriff's Office knew Floco "from several drug interactions in which large quantities of cocaine and marijuana have been seized." Floco, Martin said in the affidavit, is also known "to be involved in the counterfeit money trade in this area as well as with others throughout several states."

Security guards told deputies that after Owens took over the club, they were instructed not to be "aggressive" in looking for drugs at the establishment and that "under no circumstances" should they ever check the bathrooms.

It was also during this time, the guards reported, that Owens stopped wearing his uniform when entering the club. He parked his vehicle, which was sometimes his county-issued patrol car, behind the establishment, the affidavit states.

In late August, investigators began sending confidential informants into La Zona to purchase different quantities of powdered cocaine.

In about a one-month period, confidential informants purchased cocaine from individuals inside the club at least seven times, according to the search warrant.

On one occasion, a sale took place 30 feet from the door of the club where "two off-duty deputies" were working.

During that alleged buy, the seller told the confidential informant he worked directly for Owens, who he referred to as "tha man."

The search warrant also makes references to prostitution within the establishment. On Aug. 31, a woman identified as "Lizzie" told the confidential informant $200 would buy a date with "the girls." Although Martin would not elaborate on the allegations of a prostitution ring within La Zona, he did confirm that investigators believed such activity had been going on there.

Attempts to contact Sheriff Hill for further comments were unsuccessful late Tuesday. Martin said he wanted to refrain from giving detailed comments about the investigation for fear of jeopardizing the integrity of the case. --- Search warrant highlights

Aug. 21, 2006 -- A confidential source tells sheriff's investigators and a Raleigh police detective that then Sheriff's Deputy Mike Owens and an accomplice bought $40,000 in counterfeit $100 bills for $10,000.

Aug. 31, 2006 -- A confidential source is sent into La Zona to attempt to buy drugs.

A woman working at the club, identified as "Lizzie," tells it costs "$200 for a 'date' with the girls."

Sept. 16, 2006 -- The second confidential source again buys cocaine in La Zona and orders an "eight ball" of cocaine from another seller in La Zona.

Sept. 21, 2006 -- The second confidential source buys an "eight ball" just outside the front door of La Zona. Another drug dealer asks the source if he can buy the "eight ball." The source agrees and he and the dealer enter La Zona looking for a place to cut and repackage the cocaine.

They approach Owens who tells them to use the restroom because the back room was being used. A bartender, "Andrew," stands outside the restroom door to prevent anyone from entering while the cocaine is cut and repackaged.

Sept. 22, 2006 -- The second confidential source buys seven grams of cocaine in La Zona.

Sept. 28, 2006 -- The second confidential source meets "Chillo," "Andrew," and "Eric" inside La Zona, asks them for a half an ounce of cocaine but says he doesn't have money to pay for it. They give him a quarter ounce of cocaine and tell him they will give him the rest when he pays them the next day. They up the price from a total of $220 to $250 as a "fronting" charge.

Sept. 29, 2006 -- The second confidential source, wearing a listening device, returns to La Zona with the cash he's been given by police to pay for the cocaine.

The seller tells him he doesn't have enough to make up the second quarter ounce because a regular buyer needed some. The source seeks the full amount and is taken downstairs and led in front of a door from which "all the subjects came out yelling 'you can't be here,' and shut the door." Owens was seen coming up the stairs several minutes later.

--- WHAT THEY WERE LOOKING FOR Authorities were looking for items ranging from drugs to electronic devices when they obtained a search warrant for La Zona nightclub at 2825 N. Roxboro Road on Oct. 13.

Property to be seized: -- Any quantity of illegal drugs or paraphernalia used to make, sell, deliver or use drugs -- Papers, documents, keys or other evidence to show ownership of the premises - -- Computer systems -- Items including tapes, cassettes, cartridges, computer disk drives, monitors, printers, modems, digital imaging cameras, equipment used to make identification cards or counterfeit bills People to be searched: -- Deputy Sheriff Michael Owens -- Hispanic males going by the names of Miguel, Chillo, Andrew, Eric, Jose and Flaco -- Anyone in La Zona who is in daily operation of the business or in apparent control of it Vehicles to be searched: -- Red Chevrolet Z71 truck, N.C. registration -- Dark color Ford Expedition, N.C. registration VYB 6739 -- Champagne color Cadillac Escalade, N.C. registration VXP 8324 -- Dark blue Ford Explorer, N.C. temporary tag - -- Black Cadillac Escalade, N.C. registration KATRACHA -- Dark green Toyota Sequoia, N.C. registration VWR 4276 -- Silver Ford Mustang, N.C. temporary tag TP 41974 -- White Ford Mustang with blue top

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

I think there are always a few bad apples.

More than a few bad apples, there are the ORCHARDS!
:slap: I have "uncovered," quite a few, and just hope the citizens will not be so blind and not allow this level of corruption to run rampant in their city! :banghead: :furious:

Am I in the United States?!?!?!?!:waitasec: :liar: :mad:

And THESE are our "ELECTED" officials, and officer's sworn to our service?!?!?!
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I'm afraid this can be found all across the country. I can understand your frustration and hope you will be given answers after all you have been through.

The fact that this happens is criminal, and I am furious over the fact the rape case has received more media attention than unsolved murders and police gone gangsters!:banghead: :sick:

I just want the WORLD to know of this recent fiasco, and draw attention to them, and pray some good will come from it! This wasn't in my local news, I read it online, and is why I posted it of different forums....

Yes, I am over zealous, and I apologize if I come off as pushy, I am just passionate, and want justice!

God Bless ALL of you for giving me your support! Your prayers have helped in so many ways, and I am blessed to have found this site, and pray the Lord will let something good come from it all....
Respectfully,
Rhonda

Your heart is in the right place and you are trying to bring about needed change. Prayers continue for answers for your brother's death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member