NC NC - Amber Lundgren, 20, Asheville, 7 June 1997

bristolguy, how did LE respond to the information?

bristolguy, hope you have loved ones around you & are taking care.

The task you've taken on for Ms. Davis is huge!

She was such a wonderful kid,” Amber’s mother, Debi Lundgren, told Dateline. “She was happy-go-lucky and just had this big, caring heart.”

The blond-haired, blue-eyed beauty was born on February 7, 1977 to her young, single mother who devoted her life to her only child. The mother-daughter duo spent a large part of Amber’s life in Florida, where she was doted on by her maternal grandparents and three adoring uncles.

“She was the light of our lives,” Debi said.

young_amber_be243ae8977515efd3b179426cdd3612.fit-760w.jpg

Amber Lundgren as a child.Debi Lundgren
When Debi’s brother, Orrin Lundgren, moved to Asheville, North Carolina, Debi and Amber followed, excited to start the next chapter of their lives. Described by her mother as a deep soul, Amber began to express her creative side through her writing, her art and even her looks, which she was constantly changing with different hair colors, tattoos and piercings.

Debi told Dateline she was a little worried people would judge Amber based on appearances, but said her daughter would tell her that if someone judged her based on looks, it’s not someone she would want to be around anyway.

“I always think about that - she was always teaching me something new,” Debi said. “And acceptance was something that was important to her. She accepted everyone for who they were.”

In the summer of 1997, Amber was 20 years old, had a boyfriend, several close friends, and was working as an assistant manager at Pier 1. She was considering going to University of North Carolina Asheville in the near future, but she wasn’t in a rush.

“Amber was never one to run through life, she always took the scenic route,” her mother said with a small laugh. “She preferred to enjoy the journey. And that’s what she did.”

amber_graduation_90cace46b8dfe86bc442b606eee161fa.fit-760w.jpg

Amber at her graduation.Debi Lundgren
But her journey ended in the early morning hours of June 7, 1997. Just hours earlier, Amber was getting dressed up for a night out with her friends. They were planning to dance the night away at a recently opened venue, Bar Code, which was considered to be one of the nicest and safest clubs in town.

Debi spoke to her daughter just before she went out for the night.

“She called me and told me she was hungry,” Debi told Dateline. “I offered to bring her food, but she was getting ready to go out with her friends. I just remember telling her to be careful. But I always told her that.”

Two weeks before that summer night, Debi remembers waking up screaming from two separate nightmares about Amber that had left her with an uneasy feeling.

As with many nights out with her friends, Amber was the designated driver that evening. If she decided to drink, she promised to call a cab. If the girls became separated, they planned to meet back up at Amber’s apartment. But the night didn’t go as planned.

It was Amber’s good friend, Nadia Pidgeon, who first noticed she was missing the next day. The two friends, who were planning to move into a 2-bedroom apartment later that month, were supposed to meet to sell off some of their things at a garage sale.

“It wasn’t like Amber to be late,” Nadia told Dateline. “And then she just never showed up.”

amber_lundgren_pose_fa0550cada3599f2f807afca2d6c30d0.fit-760w.jpg

Amber LundgrenDebi Lundgren

Back at Mission Hospital, detectives were working on identifying a body that had been found in a ditch alongside Azalea Road by someone walking their dog around 8:30 a.m.
Sunday, February 7, 2021, would have been Amber’s 44th birthday. To remember her daughter’s soul around this time, Debi told Dateline she sometimes reads one of Amber’s letters or poems.

And it’s the signature marked on each one that’s the most special to her, and brings 20 short years of memories flooding back -- X’s for kisses, O’s for hugs, and teardrops... for the tears she used to cry at nap time.

Anyone with information on Amber’s case is asked to call the Asheville Police Department at (828) 252-1110 or contact Det. Kevin Taylor directly at 828-259-5945 or ktaylor@ashevillenc.gov.
more:
Murder of Asheville, North Carolina woman still a mystery 24 years later

Police said Amber was last seen leaving Bar Code in Asheville. She had been out with friends that night and became separated.

In 2015, News 13 interviewed one of the detectives on the case.

“Well, that occurred in June of 1997. She died from a single stab wound to the neck,” Det. Kevin Taylor said.

This week, News 13 asked police for an update on the case.

A spokesperson sent News 13 this statement:

Approximately one year ago, Asheville Police Department (APD) cold case investigators submitted an item of evidence collected during the initial investigation into the murder of Amber Lundgren for specialized DNA testing. The team of detectives working on this case includes Detective Kevin Taylor, who has been assigned to the investigation since its early days. We at the APD remain committed to identifying and holding those responsible for this heinous crime."
“Right now, after all this time -- maybe the first year you think something would have happened. But after, what is it now 23 years, something like that, I don’t have any expectations. And I really don’t need to know the gory details,” Orrin Lundgren said when asked if the case still frustrated him.
24-year-old Asheville cold case back in national headlines

hi all at Asheville nc gail was found at lyman street beaten up she was 19 also Amber lundgren was found stabbed 2 months prior both was found on the 7th of those months strange there both found on the 7th and both lived 1 block from each other someone from linden ave or robindale ave knows something gail was my sweetheart i cant understand why both case are unsolved where the Mchahon murders from 1989 was solved 3 decades later 22 years is far to long to be unsolved Fbi should be involved
I truly didn't know anything about Gail. But it makes me wonder if they're not related

Arenthere any reported results from DNA testing?
There are some reasons to consider a connection to serial killer Alan Wade Wilmer, Sr. (the recently announced perpetrator of some crimes in Virginia. He is long deceased (2017)

Forensic drawings and the general circumstances have strong similarities, and he was known to travel for his tree work business.

Arenthere any reported results from DNA testing?
There are some reasons to consider a connection to serial killer Alan Wade Wilmer, Sr. (the recently announced perpetrator of some crimes in Virginia. He is long deceased (2017)

Forensic drawings and the general circumstances have strong similarities, and he was known to travel for his tree work business.
Loved ones still seek justice for Amber Lundgren decades ...Loved ones still seek justice for Amber Lundgren decades ...
Murder of Asheville, North Carolina woman still a mystery 24 years later

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500