NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000 #2

If I was in my car traveling after committing a crime and had in my possession an item that could get me in trouble and tie me to said crime, wrapping that item in an otherwise nondescript plastic bag (trash bag or otherwise) before tossing it hastily out my moving vehicle might offer me some piece of mind - after all, I'd wager most non-true crime interested folks wouldn't bat an eye at a plastic bag filled with presumed trash on the side of the highway or road (apart from the littering aspect, that is) But some might get curious about a backpack lying in a ditch. The plastic bag(s) may not have been for preservation at all. May have been for obfuscation or even convenience.

A 9 year old girl gets up and packs an overnight bag. She bravely leaves her home to face a cold, dark, and rainy night...though Asha was apparently scared of the dark and dogs. For me, something isn't adding up. To do that, I think she was promised something rewarding . The slumber party was the night before and the basketball game. I keep going back to that. Also, a New Kids on the Block nightgown was found in the backpack that wasn't Ashas..did she get this at the sleepover and put it in there to return it? I would re question everyone who was at the sleepover and basketball game.

Also, a New Kids on the Block nightgown was found in the backpack that wasn't Ashas..did she get this at the sleepover and put it in there to return it? I would re question everyone who was at the sleepover and basketball game.
My first thought was that there was also a previous victim and that the culprit threw out both of their stuff together. Maybe in a sort of symbolic way, maybe just to decrease the hassle and risk of being seen discarding them. Just IMO.

I agree, T rex, if buried..I'm thinking local too. The pic of the girl who was Ashas age and found in the shed with some other items keeps me curious..who was she and what is the connection to Asha?
No one has ever identified the child.
iirc, the police decided that the photo was likely debris from a couch at the upholstery business that just fell out. however, i would think that if that were the case they could check with prior customers to see if anyone knew her.

I thought the pic of a girl Ashas age was found in the shed among the other items identified as Ashas?

As a somber anniversary approaches, Cleveland County Sheriff Alan Norman says his team still plans to solve the mystery of “Shelby’s Sweetheart.”

Though Asha Degree disappeared 24 years ago, Norman said he does not classify hers as a cold case.

“There is movement in the case. It is not a cold case,” he said.

“There's someone in greater Cleveland County that knows where Asha is, and we are going to continue to aggressively identify you, in order to bring closure to this family that’s long overdue,” he said. “My advice to you would be, you’ve lived with this long enough. And it’s time to cleanse your conscious and come forward before we find you first.”

The blog said something interesting..."so he could be back at work by 6:30." I was thinking who that Asha knows would be starting work at 6:30..it was quite a specific time to specify. Actually I read Asha would wait for the bus at 6:30..I'm not saying this was the bus driver but yeah we can take a look at everyone in this case. Ariel Castro was a school bus driver...no one can be overlooked. Teachers also arrive early for school I believe. Notice how the treasure chest in the class had a Tweety bird pocketbook, which matched exactly with Asha Tweety bird pants & went missing with Asha. That's also a kind of strange detail for me, the teacher having fairly expensive gifts in the treasure chest , which alligned exactly with Asha's preference ( Tweety theme ) for a gift. Notice that Asha kept on being Student of the Week , which means she would've kept getting these gifts from the treasure chest. There is also a hint of strangeness for me because in the story Whipping Boy there is a treasure chest , full of items like "clothes" etc. Then also there is the Uncle with the camera... certainly the Uncle would've had plenty access. I get a strange feeling about the uncle, I know he had a night camera up in the woods. He seemed to have known the woods very well.

Only thing we know for sure this child didn't sleepwalk: more drivers would've seen her on the road if she walked full distance, it would've been too dark to find her way, she'd have been scared, and dogs found no scent. Some say the scent ended at the driveway I can't verify. The fact that multiple people saw her near the shed area appears to indicate that definitely "something" was going on there. We have the theory Asha was dropped off at this section of the road & instructed to march up & down the road, to be seen by witnesses. Whoever it was , wanted to stage a runaway. The question is why on earth bother with that. It could be he knew the parents, had some loyalty to them & didn't want them to be suspects. For the runaway staging, it would've been crucial for the perp to tell Asha to bring her backpack a) so it could be missing out her room b) so she could be seen with it on the highway c) so he could ultimately plant it somewhere or return to it as a trophy. NKOTB was probably the shirt he told her to wear after he caught her. The little cabins near the backpack spot also seem sus to me. as I understand they were not really being used.I wonder if he took her into one of those and killed her in there. It could be there was a broken or open window & he got in..Have to say the woods at that section look very dense I wonder was she put in there

Investigators emphasized in an FBI video update last month that Asha’s case remains active and they believe it can be solved.

Cleveland County Sheriff Alan Norman said that advances in technology will help investigators crack the case.

“We actually have things that aid us now that we didn’t have 24 months ago, much less 24 years ago,” Norman said.

Asha’s parents haven’t spoken publicly about their daughter’s disappearance in recent years, but in 2020 her mother said that she still believed her daughter was alive.

“We’re hoping and we’re praying that she’s had a halfway decent life anyway, even though we didn’t get to raise her,” Iquilla Degree said in a video shared by the FBI. “We’ve missed everything. But I don’t care. If she walked in the door right now, I wouldn’t care what I missed. All I want to do is see her.”

Human remains have been found in Sherrills Ford, NC near a power steam station. I understand the remains are fully decomposed/skeletal. I immediately thought of Asha. Below is a map of the nearly perfect triangle (about an hour in each direction) formed by the route between Shelby, NC (where Asha was last seen), Morganton (where her backpack was found) and Sherrills Ford, where the remains were found yesterday, and back to Shelby. We'll know soon enough if this is Asha. If not her, who could it be?

Attachments

• IMG_2615.jpg
    IMG_2615.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 3
First post on this thread. I came here after visiting the r/AshaDegree sub, which is, for the lack of a better expression, an absolute shitshow.

This is pure speculation, but given the evidence available, the planned abduction theory is the only one that makes any sense.
I refuse to speculate her parents or her brother were directly involved. ALL the evidence available suggests they weren't, and NO evidence in 20+ years has been found that vaguely links them to any sort of foul play. They would have to be criminal masterminds to conceal such a heinous crime AND to so firmly convince ALL investigators working on the case that they were always innocent, despite being the most obvious suspects.

I also couldn't ever believe that somehow Asha running away at night and Asha disappearing are not linked. What would be the odds of two similarly unlikely events happening the same night? I could imagine her running away and getting hit by a car, but you'd have evidence of a hit and run. And it still wouldn't explain why she'd have ran away in the first place. She could have ran away for no specific reason, which is already extremely unlikely in itself, but then for her to disappear with no trace? If she died of exposure or something, she'd have been found by now. Because Shelby is quite close by, therefore she'd have died in the woods in the area between Shelby and her house, and those woods have been extensively researched. In 20 years it's almost impossible that no one would have found her body even by accident. And what are the odds that she would run away inexplicably in the middle of the night AND run into a predator that was lurking about in the area by total chance? The Occam razor would just explode.

Finally, there's the book bag. We can assume it got tossed away from a moving car, but it was neatly wrapped into two plastic bags. Whoever threw it away had to know that the bag could incriminate them, and the safest way for them to dispose of the bag would be to just either keep it, or throw it into a river, or empty it into different trash cans, or set its content on fire, or whatever else that didn't involve the bag staying completely intact and untouched along a highway in the general area of Asha's house that was relatively likely to be searched by someone close to the family at some point.
Which leads to believe the person who put that bag in that place WANTED it to be intact.
And the most likely explanation for this IMHO is that this person wanted the bag to be some kind of...trophy. Which in turn is a very common behaviour among child predators.

So the only theory that makes sense in my head and combines all the (scarce) evidence that we have - at least the pieces that were made public - is that someone managed to approach Asha before her disappearance, lure her away from her house (maybe by giving her a false promise?), and then abducting her. If you think about it, if you were a child predator who has targeted a 9 year old girl who always stays with her parents, brother or someone else in the family, what would be the best way to get a hold of her? Probably abducting her at night, when she's alone, and no one can see you - and specifically abducting her at some location near her house, where she can get by herself but you don't run the risk of being heard or seen by someone who she knows, or who knows and can recognize you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back