NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like maybe they have. I kind of think that's what happened with the NKOTB t-shirt and the book. I think they found Asha's DNA on them and now they're trying to figure out how Asha got them in the first place, hence the whole "did your stuff go missing" or "did you have these things" appeal to the public. Perhaps that's how they're trying to work backwards to figure out what happened to her.
This sounds like grooming, IMO Maybe whoever took her used that picture as part of the plan to get Asha to come with them? Something like, “here, this is my daughter, she’d sure like to meet you!”
MOO

I don't have a Kardashian-level social media following, but between my husband and I we have close to 20,000 followers and they're pretty engaged. I made a big post about Asha this morning. I included the picture that was found in the shed, as well as the age progression picture of Asha, and the NKOTB shirt and book. I gave the Cliff Notes version of the crime and added the contact info below.

I don't say this about many crimes at all, but this is one that I absolutely think the public could help solve. The whole shirt/book thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but to the person they belonged to, it might. What this case needs is exposure.

I'm pretty fired up about it. I get this way every couple of years. This should've been solved a long time ago.

This sounds like grooming, IMO Maybe whoever took her used that picture as part of the plan to get Asha to come with them? Something like, “here, this is my daughter, she’d sure like to meet you!”
MOO

That's one of my main theories-grooming.

We're basically looking at two things here: either she left for some reason totally unrelated to her disappearance and just happened to get in view of a pedophile or child killer, or she was heading out to meet someone.

I guess there's always the chance that she was a victim of a hit and take (instead of a hit and run), too, but then I don't think the backpack would've buried. I think it would've been burned or trashed or something. The burial makes me think that the perp wanted to re-visit it.

The fact that the backpack still contained some of her items makes me less optimistic that she's alive.

That's one of my main theories-grooming.

We're basically looking at two things here: either she left for some reason totally unrelated to her disappearance and just happened to get in view of a pedophile or child killer, or she was heading out to meet someone.

I guess there's always the chance that she was a victim of a hit and take (instead of a hit and run), too, but then I don't think the backpack would've buried. I think it would've been burned or trashed or something. The burial makes me think that the perp wanted to re-visit it.

The fact that the backpack still contained some of her items makes me less optimistic that she's alive.
:( Yes, the hit & take is possible.
I agree, sadly. Finding her things buried is not a good sign at all :(
MOO

:( Yes, the hit & take is possible.
I agree, sadly. Finding her things buried is not a good sign at all :(
MOO

I know that some people believe that the shed was planted, but what if...

What if Asha made it to the shed on her own. What if she either went in there get out of the rain or to hide from someone who was looking for her? I could see a little kid sitting on the ground and pulling all their stuff from the backpack so that they could go through it. Just kind of a breath of familiarity during a time when they're scared. I'm constantly cleaning my purse out...What if she was doing that and then someone came in on her and took her before she had the chance to put everything back into her backpack?

I'm not real sure how to account for the things in the shed unless people are correct and they were planted there. I wonder if LE ever found proof of Asha's presence there?

This disappearance bothers me more than most. I'm not sure why.

May 25 2019
asha-degree-age-progressed_1464202472568_4496076_ver1.0_640_360_1536162787976_12863028_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Missing%20NC%20girls_1558820381709.jpg_15380727_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

FBI continues search for Asha Degree
"Asha Degree was last seen walking down N.C. 18. just after 3 a.m. The then-9-year-old girl was reported missing three hours later.

The Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office has detectives who focus primarily on the missing girl, and Sheriff Alan Norman has said it’s his duty to see the case closed and the girl found. The FBI is assisting in the search.

Last year, two new items of interest in her case were made public, a Dr. Seuss book and a New Kids on the Block concert T-shirt.

Since Asha’s disappearance, a sign with her photo asking for information has sat along N.C. 18 near where she was last seen. Every year, a group of family members and supporters make a walk from the Degree house to the sign to remember Asha and remind people the search is still ongoing.

The FBI listed two others from North Carolina who are on the missing persons list.

Sara Graham left her home in Fairmont to go to work on Feb. 4, 2015, but never arrived.

Abby Lynn Patterson left her home in Lumberton on Sept. 5, 2017, and has not been seen since."
NC - NC - Abby Patterson, 20, Lumberton, 5 Sept 2017
NC - NC - Sara Graham, 18, Fairmont, 4 February 2015 - #3

I know that some people believe that the shed was planted, but what if...

What if Asha made it to the shed on her own. What if she either went in there get out of the rain or to hide from someone who was looking for her? I could see a little kid sitting on the ground and pulling all their stuff from the backpack so that they could go through it. Just kind of a breath of familiarity during a time when they're scared. I'm constantly cleaning my purse out...What if she was doing that and then someone came in on her and took her before she had the chance to put everything back into her backpack?

I'm not real sure how to account for the things in the shed unless people are correct and they were planted there. I wonder if LE ever found proof of Asha's presence there?

This disappearance bothers me more than most. I'm not sure why.
I wonder if someone unsavory saw her walking that night, passed her on the road, but turned around & came back for her under the guise of good samaratin:( Someone that knew the area well enough to plant the backpack in the shed?
This is such a strange case :(

I wonder if someone unsavory saw her walking that night, passed her on the road, but turned around & came back for her under the guise of good samaratin:( Someone that knew the area well enough to plant the backpack in the shed?
This is such a strange case :(

Maybe so. It's definitely possible.

This is a really strange case. If it weren't for the passing motorists who claim to have seen her, I'd honestly think she never made it out of the house alive. I have kids-ages 12 and almost 8-and this morning I asked them:

Okay guys. It's 3 in the morning, you're afraid of dogs, and you quietly get up and sneak out of the house and start walking down something like our main road out there...and it's storming. WHY would you do such a thing? What is one thing that could make you do this?

12yo says, "Because I'm frigging nuts?"
8yo says, "Because I was trying to get away from someone who hurt me or tried to hurt me."
12yo says, "Or because I think someone is hurting someone I know and I'm trying to help them."

Both agreed that it would have to be something "big." Neither bought the "adventure" thing. They said that, being latchkey kids, if they were planning their own adventure they'd do it when they got home from school. In the daylight.

So yeah. It's weird.

Maybe so. It's definitely possible.

This is a really strange case. If it weren't for the passing motorists who claim to have seen her, I'd honestly think she never made it out of the house alive. I have kids-ages 12 and almost 8-and this morning I asked them:

Okay guys. It's 3 in the morning, you're afraid of dogs, and you quietly get up and sneak out of the house and start walking down something like our main road out there...and it's storming. WHY would you do such a thing? What is one thing that could make you do this?

12yo says, "Because I'm frigging nuts?"
8yo says, "Because I was trying to get away from someone who hurt me or tried to hurt me."
12yo says, "Or because I think someone is hurting someone I know and I'm trying to help them."

Both agreed that it would have to be something "big." Neither bought the "adventure" thing. They said that, being latchkey kids, if they were planning their own adventure they'd do it when they got home from school. In the daylight.

So yeah. It's weird.
Kids are smart...yours made good points. Maybe there was someone, somewhere in Asha’s life, that was harming her (not meaning parents or anything) but maybe someone she had to be around & was afraid to tell anyone what was happening? So instead, she leaves in the middle of the night knowing no one would be awake to try & stop her/see her leaving?

Kids are smart...yours made good points. Maybe there was someone, somewhere in Asha’s life, that was harming her (not meaning parents or anything) but maybe someone she had to be around & was afraid to tell anyone what was happening? So instead, she leaves in the middle of the night knowing no one would be awake to try & stop her/see her leaving?

Something made her decide to leave at that particular time instead of waiting for another night when the weather was better or during the daytime.

Kids are definitely smart, and they're more insightful into the world around them than they sometimes get credit for.

So yeah...the fear of seeing someone the next day maybe? Was her routine changing? Was she made aware of something that she was going to have to do, something she hadn't planned on? Or had something happened earlier that day that scared her? There's a reason she went out into that storm and I think it's more than just wanting to have a little fun.

I'm shocked that LE didn't get a flood of calls from everyone in the country who has a copy of that Dr.Suess book. The appeal was so vague.

Something made her decide to leave at that particular time instead of waiting for another night when the weather was better or during the daytime.

Kids are definitely smart, and they're more insightful into the world around them than they sometimes get credit for.

So yeah...the fear of seeing someone the next day maybe? Was her routine changing? Was she made aware of something that she was going to have to do, something she hadn't planned on? Or had something happened earlier that day that scared her? There's a reason she went out into that storm and I think it's more than just wanting to have a little fun.

I'm shocked that LE didn't get a flood of calls from everyone in the country who has a copy of that Dr.Suess book. The appeal was so vague.
ITA! That’s part of what makes this so sad, that she was willing to go out alone, at night, in bad weather :(
I so wish LE would put out more of an appeal about the book. So it reaches more of an audience. I can’t think of what else could be done at this time, to jog peoples memories.

ITA! That’s part of what makes this so sad, that she was willing to go out alone, at night, in bad weather :(
I so wish LE would put out more of an appeal about the book. So it reaches more of an audience. I can’t think of what else could be done at this time, to jog peoples memories.

It was a really long time ago. Unless something about the disappearance was unusual, there's no way I'd remember if my kid checked out a library book 19 years ago and then lost it.

It was a really long time ago. Unless something about the disappearance was unusual, there's no way I'd remember if my kid checked out a library book 19 years ago and then lost it.
For some reason, I still remember a book I borrowed when I was in 4th grade. (I’m in my 40’s:oops:) I lost it & never did find it. It was about a kitten. Anyway, some people might remember & some people can’t. It’s worth putting it out there again :)

For some reason, I still remember a book I borrowed when I was in 4th grade. (I’m in my 40’s:oops:) I lost it & never did find it. It was about a kitten. Anyway, some people might remember & some people can’t. It’s worth putting it out there again :)

Oh, I think they definitely need to get it out there. A lot. That shirt and book, however they found them, are probably their best leads.

Oh, I think they definitely need to get it out there. A lot. That shirt and book, however they found them, are probably their best leads.
Has it been reported anywhere when these items were found? I wonder how long LE has been in possession of them & how they were found?

Has it been reported anywhere when these items were found? I wonder how long LE has been in possession of them & how they were found?

I haven't seen a reference to when or where. I wonder, too. Actually, are we even sure that they've been found? I assumed they had, and that's why they've asked people if they lost them in the first place, but maybe I'm assuming too much.

I haven't seen a reference to when or where. I wonder, too. Actually, are we even sure that they've been found? I assumed they had, and that's why they've asked people if they lost them in the first place, but maybe I'm assuming too much.
That would make two of us, because I assumed the same.

I haven't seen anything saying the book and t-shirt were found or that LE has them.

Here's an article from last year when the book and t-shirt info was first released:

The Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office announced two “new possible clues” Monday in the search for Asha Degree, who was 9 when she disappeared from her Shelby home in February 2000.

The first clue is a library book from Fallston Elementary School in Cleveland County, Cleveland County Det. Jordan Bowen said in a video posted by the sheriff’s office.

The book, “McElligot’s Pool” by Dr. Seuss, shows a fish chasing a worm on a hook on its cover.

“If you, or someone you know, had this Dr. Seuss library book around the time of Asha’s disappearance and lost track of it, call us,” Bowen said in the video.

Library records at the Fallston Elementary School Media Center don’t go back to the year of Asha’s disappearance, Bowen said.

Bowen described the second clue as a concert T-shirt from New Kids on the Block, which formed in the 1980s and is currently on tour.

The sheriff’s office had a broad request for people who recognize the shirt, asking for calls from anyone who had the shirt or knew someone who did at any time.

They declined in a news release to give more information about the two clues.

Read more here: Book, band T-shirt are new clues to NC girl’s disappearance in 2000, detective says

I'm wondering if perhaps this book and T-Shirt were seen in a video or in a photo that police suspect to be of Asha after she disappeared. Europe LE launched a program where they ask for help identifying items seen in photos of kids being abused (only photos of the items are released and the kids bodies are edited out). We have a thread here where members try to help: Europol, Stop Child Abuse – Trace an Object - help ID victims.
That made me wonder if perhaps an image of Asha from 2000 surfaced on the dark web with that NKOTB T-Shirt and that book visible in some way. It could even be a shirt on another child or another child reading the book with Asha. That could explain the request for anyone who used to have that shirt or that book to come forward. MOO.

I also agree that these items were likely from a unidentified photograph. The book would have had to be positioned to where the elementary school stamp was visible. In my opinion, Asha's school stamp was the clue that linked this to her.

I still wonder about the other girl's photo. Why was it never mentioned again? Fishy to have it be found along with a missing child's belongings. If she was ID'd why wasn't that addressed like, 'Unknown girl's photo ID'd and found to be unrelated but name is not being released to the public being she's a minor'. To me it's a puzzle piece worth mentioning and I am so perplexed to why I just only found out about it this year. I have been actively checking her case since 2006 and remember when it happened. As a NC native I saw her missing persons poster in a diner when I was nine. No mention of a wallet sized picture in any article or case file I have read. She could very well be related to the perp for all we know.

As for the backpack, it screams serial killer behavior to me. Like purposely planting evidence just to see their crime in the news. It was double wrapped in plastic bags to preserve it from the elements. It's location was in a digging site. In my opinion it couldn't have been a easy dig being it took machinery to resurface it. I wonder if they questioned any if the construction crew? Terry Fleming was the contractor to find it. Asha Degree Missing: 9-year-old North Carolina girl left home and never seen again
The perp likely intended for it to found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab