NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...rcement-revisit-asha-degree.html#.VNjDOMbhoWc

On the 15th anniversary of the disappearance of Asha Degree, 9, the Charlotte Division of the FBI is offering a reward up to $25,000 for any information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for her disappearance... In addition to the FBI’s reward, an additional $20,000 is being offered by a community group...

Cleveland County Sheriff Alan Norman and Lynch are expected to meet with Charlotte area media Monday morning before they canvass the Highway 18 area to distribute missing posters featuring Degree.

Meanwhile, a billboard image of Degree will be displayed at the following locations in the Charlotte area: Carowinds/I-77, I-85/McAdenville, I-77 at Tyvola, I-77 at W.T. Harris Blvd and I-85 at Statesville Ave.

This is probably one of the top five strangest disappearances I've ever read about - not really so much because of its circumstances, but because of her age at the time. You just don't see nine-year-olds who are afraid of the dark getting up in the middle of the night to take long walks. I think she must have had a very specific reason for doing what she did.

I'm close to four times her age and live in a safe area, but it would still take something absolutely dire for me to agree to get up before 4am and walk, vulnerable and in the dark, to any place that's any farther than the parking lot immediately surrounding my apartment(regardless of the weather, which I understand was quite chilly when she did this).

I wonder if she might have left something at someone's house that she felt she really needed, or else felt she should get to a store and buy such an item. Maybe a school bully, teacher, or someone with similar "authority" had gotten up in her face and said something like, "You'd better have (this item), or you'll be in deep trouble!"

To a nine-year-old, something like that can seem like a very serious threat. The "punishment" she was facing if she showed up empty-handed could have been worse to consider than the fear of, say, walking to the store or(more likely) a friend's house in the dark.

I doubt, in any case, that one of her parents came into the room and said, "Get dressed and get out!" or gave her a severe beating that prompted her to leave out of fear for her safety or life(she probably wouldn't have been in the shape to, and if she had been, she could have just gone to the nearest house and notified police).

She got her things together(bringing candy as well as clothes) and set out walking along the highway - even running away from people who stopped to help her(which was smart, because it shows she was cautious of strangers, and was unlikely to have just hopped into some perp's van)...I think she expected to have reached her destination before morning(meaning that I think it was reasonably close, because of the time at which she apparently left, and because she didn't put on her "winter clothes"), and it was probably one from which she expected to be able to be driven back home/to school/etc., and to catch up on sleep or eat breakfast.

It was also probably one she didn't think her parents would have agreed to take her to - maybe it was the home of a friend(even a boyfriend - it was Valentine's Day) that her parents didn't approve of, or else it was a place they didn't think was fit for someone her age to be in. Maybe she'd already asked, and they'd said no(or that they'd take her later - maybe too late for what she felt she needed to do). I wonder if there's anything anyone remembers about a conversation of this nature.

It seems like more cases than usual have been solved, recently, or are close to being solved...even "cold cases"...I hope this can be one of the next ones. I hope her mother's right and she's still alive and well, though I don't understand why someone with good intentions would bury her backpack.

Maybe I'm missing a link that was posted, but I wonder what they are basing the possibility that Donald Ferguson could be connected to her disappearance on(besides the possibility that he went through the area at the time)?

I agree it is a strange disappearance. How and why did AD end up walking outside, alone, in the rain, in the wee hours of the morning? Since she took some belongings with her, it would seem that she left her home willingly and with a purpose. But what girl, at the tender age of 9, who reportedly has a happy homelife, would step out in the dark of night? If she were a teenager I would think she was a 'runaway' but that scenario doesn't seem to fit with this case. There is no reports of AD having an older boyfriend or being involved with drugs, and I doubt she would have had a smart phone or ipod 15 years ago to access the internet--so my assumption is that she was not setting out to meet an online 'friend'.

One theory that has crossed my mind is that AD was sleepwalking. This condition typically affects children aged 4-8. AD is just slightly older. Triggers can be stress (she was upset about having lost her basketball game earlier in the day) and fatigue (AD reportedly went to bed around midnight, which seems late for her young age). Sleepwalking could be a logical explanation for her seemingly illogical behaviour.

Once outside, alone and only semiconscious I think AD met with foul play. Either she was hit by a car (no driver would be expecting a child to be walking on the road at that time and in those weather conditions), and the driver then panicked and hid her body and belongings, or she was abducted by a predator (probably a trucker) who saw a random opportunity and took advantage.

I agree it is a strange disappearance. How and why did AD end up walking outside, alone, in the rain, in the wee hours of the morning? Since she took some belongings with her, it would seem that she left her home willingly and with a purpose. But what girl, at the tender age of 9, who reportedly has a happy homelife, would step out in the dark of night? If she were a teenager I would think she was a 'runaway' but that scenario doesn't seem to fit with this case. There is no reports of AD having an older boyfriend or being involved with drugs, and I doubt she would have had a smart phone or ipod 15 years ago to access the internet--so my assumption is that she was not setting out to meet an online 'friend'.

One theory that has crossed my mind is that AD was sleepwalking. This condition typically affects children aged 4-8. AD is just slightly older. Triggers can be stress (she was upset about having lost her basketball game earlier in the day) and fatigue (AD reportedly went to bed around midnight, which seems late for her young age). Sleepwalking could be a logical explanation for her seemingly illogical behaviour.

Once outside, alone and only semiconscious I think AD met with foul play. Either she was hit by a car (no driver would be expecting a child to be walking on the road at that time and in those weather conditions), and the driver then panicked and hid her body and belongings, or she was abducted by a predator (probably a trucker) who saw a random opportunity and took advantage.

I've always wondered if she might have been hit by a car(or accidentally killed by someone who saw her in their yard and thought she was a burglar), and I agree that it was probably a trucker who abducted her if she was abducted - simply because most other people on the road at that time of morning/night would probably only be traveling due to absolute necessity(like going to work for the super-early shift, or two hours from home), so they really wouldn't have the time to randomly kidnap some kid.

I also now wonder how closely they looked into the witnesses, one of whom was a trucker(did they check their identities, their whereabouts on that day after the time they reported seeing her, etc.). If both their reports came in the day AFTER her disappearance, around the same time, I think that's really strange. It's also really strange to wait so long to report a kid who's walking around alone after midnight to begin with...maybe they didn't have cellphones, but why didn't one of them just pull up to the gas station(assuming it was there back then) and get on a payphone? Unless there's extra information the cops have that we don't, I'm a lot more inclined to suspect the witnesses than, say, Donald Ferguson.

Concerning the sleepwalking theory, though, I don't know. I've heard of many cases of sleepwalking, some of which are quite astounding...but sleep-packing up clothes, or sleep-locking the door when leaving, or sleep-traveling up to 30 minutes on foot along the same road in freezing and rainy weather, or sleep-running into the woods to avoid external cues like drivers turning their car around for a closer look...those actions all require conscious decision-making ability and alertness/awareness that I wouldn't expect a person to have the ability to access while asleep.

I made a map of where she was walking, and also one of where the second witness said she was when she ran into the woods(along with her possible paths).

asha.map1.JPG

This first map marks her approximate starting location, then the location of Turner Upholstery(where some of her things were found), then the location where her billboard stands (because that's where the witnesses said she was at when spotted at 3:30 and 4:15, and where her candy wrappers were found)...then, the last marked point is the actual intersection of 18 and 180(she may or may not have even gone that far).

asha.map2.JPG

This second map shows the location of Turner Upholstery close-up(so details like building locations can be seen on its property); I've also circled the spot where her billboard stands because that's the spot from which she would have taken off running for the woods to hide from the second witness. The red lines are paths she could have taken(I doubt she crossed the street, but there are woods across the street, so I included that possible path).

Turner Upholstery is only four minutes away from the spot she was allegedly last seen at. It's perfectly feasible to me that she could have been waiting by the shed(though odd); it's also perfectly feasible that, after she ran for the woods, the second witness or another possible perp drove up the path leading to the shed to wait for her to come out of the woods so he could abduct her.

I hope the maps can help someone to come up with more possibilities. Maybe there's someone familiar with the area, who knows about "shortcuts" or the history of how the area might have looked differently in 2000? I've never been there.

I made a map of where she was walking, and also one of where the second witness said she was when she ran into the woods(along with her possible paths).

View attachment 70239

This first map marks her approximate starting location, then the location of Turner Upholstery(where some of her things were found), then the location where her billboard stands (because that's where the witnesses said she was at when spotted at 3:30 and 4:15, and where her candy wrappers were found)...then, the last marked point is the actual intersection of 18 and 180(she may or may not have even gone that far).

View attachment 70240

This second map shows the location of Turner Upholstery close-up(so details like building locations can be seen on its property); I've also circled the spot where her billboard stands because that's the spot from which she would have taken off running for the woods to hide from the second witness. The red lines are paths she could have taken(I doubt she crossed the street, but there are woods across the street, so I included that possible path).

Turner Upholstery is only four minutes away from the spot she was allegedly last seen at. It's perfectly feasible to me that she could have been waiting by the shed(though odd); it's also perfectly feasible that, after she ran for the woods, the second witness or another possible perp drove up the path leading to the shed to wait for her to come out of the woods so he could abduct her.

I hope the maps can help someone to come up with more possibilities. Maybe there's someone familiar with the area, who knows about "shortcuts" or the history of how the area might have looked different in 2000? I've never been there.

Thank you for your posts today. Asha disappeared in the next county over from where I've lived all my life. I remember reading everything I could when this happened just because it was so unusual that a nine year old walking out of her house at 4 in the morning. I've tried to read as much as I could over the years but I don't remember a mention of Donald Ferguson. Can you tell me where to look to look for info on his possible involvement?

It's strange that you posted today because Asha Degree has been on my mind a lot the last week. Another thing, since this is a cold case which hasn't been solved could I get info through FOIA? Since I'm sure every LEO in Lincoln, Gaston, Cleveland, NCSHP and SBI but maybe we could read something with fresh that needs to be checked.

Is there a national database to check for unidentified remains? By putting in specifics like age, weight, race, gender? After all this time, I just don't have a good feeling about the possibility of Asha still being alive. The fact that her book bag was found wrapped in plastic bags and buried signifies to me foul play. If picked up by a trucker or who knows, she probably didn't remain in the state very long. She could be found anywhere. This case just makes no sense, no matter which scenario i run with.

Your maps are very helpful in visualizing the area and helping outline Asha's steps on the morning she disappeared. If I'm looking at the maps correctly there seem to be a few homes on acerages along her suspected route. Were the homeowners ever interviewed by police? Any RSOs living in the area at the time? Did Asha know anybody in this area that she may have been going to meet? Is this an area where drug labs or illegal activites were common at the time?

I think the shed near the upholstry business is one key to this case, mainly because some of her belongings were found inside. If Asha entered upon her own free will, it was perhaps to take refuge from the rain and eat some of her candy. Maybe she left her home intending to run away, but quickly got scared or tired and just planned to have rest before heading home. Of course, Asha may not have gone inside the shed of her own choice. Perhaps she was lured there by a predator, or brought to that location by an abductor to be assaulted. How thoroughly was the shed and vicinity searched? Were cadaver dogs used? Who owned this shed? Would it have been locked? DNA evidence?

The location of Asha's other belongings (wrapped in plastic) is also a key clue. Any maps of this area? I read it was about 26 miles from her home...much too far for Asha to have walked, suggesting that she and/or her things traveled in a vehicle. Was this area rural and undeveloped in 2000? Any businesses, truck stops or restaurants near by? How deep were her belongings buried? Could they have been tossed from a vehicle and covered by mother nature, or would they have been dug into the ground by human intervention? If Asha was abducted, this location being used to dump evidence could have significance for the abductor. Maybe it is an area he/she was familiar with, or close to their home or work. Any DNA, hairs or fibers lifted from the plastic bags?

So many questions...so few answers :(

View attachment 70239

View attachment 70240

I hope the maps can help someone to come up with more possibilities. Maybe there's someone familiar with the area, who knows about "shortcuts" or the history of how the area might have looked differently in 2000? I've never been there.

Your maps are very helpful in visualizing the area and helping outline Asha's steps on the morning she disappeared. If I'm looking at the maps correctly there seem to be a few homes on acerages along her suspected route. Were the homeowners ever interviewed by police? Any RSOs living in the area at the time? Did Asha know anybody in this area that she may have been going to meet? Is this an area where drug labs or illegal activites were common at the time?

I think the shed near the upholstry business is one key to this case, mainly because some of her belongings were found inside. If Asha entered upon her own free will, it was perhaps to take refuge from the rain and eat some of her candy. Maybe she left her home intending to run away, but quickly got scared or tired and just planned to have rest before heading home. Of course, Asha may not have gone inside the shed of her own choice. Perhaps she was lured there by a predator, or brought to that location by an abductor to be assaulted. How thoroughly was the shed and vicinity searched? Were cadaver dogs used? Who owned this shed? Would it have been locked? DNA evidence?

The location of Asha's other belongings (wrapped in plastic) is also a key clue. Any maps of this area? I read it was about 26 miles from her home...much too far for Asha to have walked, suggesting that she and/or her things traveled in a vehicle. Was this area rural and undeveloped in 2000? Any businesses, truck stops or restaurants near by? How deep were her belongings buried? Could they have been tossed from a vehicle and covered by mother nature, or would they have been dug into the ground by human intervention? If Asha was abducted, this location being used to dump evidence could have significance for the abductor. Maybe it is an area he/she was familiar with, or close to their home or work. Any DNA, hairs or fibers lifted from the plastic bags?

So many questions...so few answers :(

I hope the bolded text is not your way of asking me if I made a map of that area...

Unfortunately, I can't even make one. The best information I can find about the backpack is that it was discovered "six miles south of Morganton" along 18. That gives us a general vicinity, but doesn't narrow it down enough to make it plottable on a map. There's no mention in any of the articles I've read about whether man or nature caused the backpack to be buried - but, as it was unearthed during plans to lay a foundation to build a church(plans that fell through, it seems), I would expect it to have been intentionally buried. How deep beneath the soil it could have been would probably depend on whether or not the church was intended to have a full basement.

There is a lot of information in this case that is vague - repeated from article to article without any useful detail or explanation - and it is frustrating.

It seems most likely to me that, after picking up Asha, the perp drove with her in the direction opposite to that of the path she'd taken while walking(which means that they'd have passed right back by the neighborhood her house is in), and discarded her bag either then, or later on when he returned back along that route. This strongly suggests to me that he was/is a trucker(as others have said), and that he regularly drove/drives back and forth along 18...at the very least, it's obvious he was traveling somewhere that night, and it's obvious which direction his destination was in.

That said, I read somewhere that it's possible that the backpack was discovered wrapped in plastic bags because the perp was just an average person(well, someone with an "average" vehicle not equipped for hauling/concealing items, I mean) who lived with a spouse/roommates/parents, and needed to hide the backpack's existence from them for a time(whether in the car or the house) before it could be disposed of. It is pretty strange to wrap a potential piece of homicide evidence in a material that's almost certainly going to preserve it for a very long time, yet bury it at the same time...

If the perp did indeed drive an average, everyday car/truck, it would make it a lot easier for him to drive up dirt paths and driveways(like Turner Upholstery's long and unpaved "driveway") in order to conceal himself and wait for Asha to come by(or come out of the woods) so he could abduct her...but, I'm still inclined to agree with the other posters who think the perp was a trucker. I mean, if she was abducted within the vicinity of the shed at Turner Upholstery, I'd think that a truck sitting along the property's driveway at night would probably be a typical sight and not make her suspicious of coming out of the woods or lingering in the area(but seeing Joe Schmo's car on the premises would probably creep her out, and rightfully so!).

The truck might have been there all along - all night - and it might have looked empty and "safe". I wonder if there's any record of overnight shipments coming in by truck on the night Asha disappeared. The shed itself is owned by Debbie Turner - probably the owner or owner's wife, and I think she's the one who found the hair bow and pen/pencil in the shed's doorway(I don't think Asha was ever actually inside the shed...just in the doorway). I don't want to think this is the case, but I'm wondering if the pen/pencil were dropped by Asha when she used them in an attempt to defend herself from the perp(they were the closest things to weapons that she had with her). The hair bow could have fallen off her head in the ensuing struggle. No signs of a struggle were mentioned(blood, hair, dirty footprints or dents on the shed, squashed grass, etc.), but something has to explain her dropping those items in that place...I doubt she walked around the property and said to herself, "You know, I think I'll go drop some of my stuff in front of that shed over there for no reason."

The question about RSOs is a very good one...and I wish I knew of a way to check neighborhoods for the history of which sex offenders may have lived in them...tons of websites are devoted to finding the sex offenders who currently live in a given place, but I'm not seeing anything that searches for past years(though it's possible a certain RSO did something to get the cops called on him in early 2000, and someone wrote an article about it that stated his address). Does anyone know of a site or resource for us? There has to have been at least one RSO in the area at the time - they're like cockroaches. They're everywhere.

The whole area looks pretty rural now(not sure about in 2000, but it doesn't strike me as a place that has changed much in a long time)...I'd actually think it was an extremely safe place to live in, and Asha may very well have even walked around at night all the time with no prior issue. At the intersection of 18 and 180, there's a gas station...but, still, nobody's sure if she went as far as that, or even wanted to. I think Turner Upholstery is the only place of business(except churches) between her house and the spot where her billboard stands. The billboard has a house on either side of it(my second map partially cuts off one of the houses, because I wasn't thinking about it when I made it). I don't know if police ever interviewed the owners/tenants of those houses, but I definitely hope they did. If Asha stood on that spot for the entire half-hour between the two witness sightings that both place her there, I'd think that someone living in one/both of those houses would have at least heard something - especially if she really did run from there into the woods.

When I first made the maps, I looked up the sales history of one of those houses(the one that got cut off my map, which is on the corner between 18 and Ridgedale, and would have been there in 2000 as it was built in the early 1900s). It sold recently...2011? I think. I couldn't find its history before its last sale, though. If either of the houses were also sold - or renovated - soon after Asha disappeared(or if any tenants left around that time), I think that would imply suspicion/involvement.

I imagine there is a lot of information(on DNA/fibers collected, physical evidence kept, likely locations for the perp's home or workplace) that police have but don't want to release. That's just as frustrating as all the vague article content I'm finding is, but I guess they have their reasons for revealing/not revealing things.

It still seems strange to me, though, that they'd suspect Donald Ferguson based on such a shaky lead. I'm glad they're looking into every possibility, but it seems like an illogical leap to make - suspicion based solely on "maybe he was there at the time" or "he killed someone else, so he could have killed her". It is every bit as likely that the most innocent-seeming person imaginable was responsible, so I hope they don't overlook someone with stronger ties to Asha while focusing on him, simply because he seems like(and clearly is) such a bad person.

I hope the bolded text is not your way of asking me if I made a map of that area...
Unfortunately, I can't even make one. The best information I can find about the backpack is that it was discovered "six miles south of Morganton" along 18. That gives us a general vicinity, but doesn't narrow it down enough to make it plottable on a map. There's no mention in any of the articles I've read about whether man or nature caused the backpack to be buried - but, as it was unearthed during plans to lay a foundation to build a church(plans that fell through, it seems), I would expect it to have been intentionally buried. How deep beneath the soil it could have been would probably depend on whether or not the church was intended to have a full basement.

There is a lot of information in this case that is vague - repeated from article to article without any useful detail or explanation - and it is frustrating.

It seems most likely to me that, after picking up Asha, the perp drove with her in the direction opposite to that of the path she'd taken while walking(which means that they'd have passed right back by the neighborhood her house is in), and discarded her bag either then, or later on when he returned back along that route. This strongly suggests to me that he was/is a trucker(as others have said), and that he regularly drove/drives back and forth along 18...at the very least, it's obvious he was traveling somewhere that night, and it's obvious which direction his destination was in.

That said, I read somewhere that it's possible that the backpack was discovered wrapped in plastic bags because the perp was just an average person(well, someone with an "average" vehicle not equipped for hauling/concealing items, I mean) who lived with a spouse/roommates/parents, and needed to hide the backpack's existence from them for a time(whether in the car or the house) before it could be disposed of. It is pretty strange to wrap a potential piece of homicide evidence in a material that's almost certainly going to preserve it for a very long time, yet bury it at the same time...

If the perp did indeed drive an average, everyday car/truck, it would make it a lot easier for him to drive up dirt paths and driveways(like Turner Upholstery's long and unpaved "driveway") in order to conceal himself and wait for Asha to come by(or come out of the woods) so he could abduct her...but, I'm still inclined to agree with the other posters who think the perp was a trucker. I mean, if she was abducted within the vicinity of the shed at Turner Upholstery, I'd think that a truck sitting along the property's driveway at night would probably be a typical sight and not make her suspicious of coming out of the woods or lingering in the area(but seeing Joe Schmo's car on the premises would probably creep her out, and rightfully so!).

The truck might have been there all along - all night - and it might have looked empty and "safe". I wonder if there's any record of overnight shipments coming in by truck on the night Asha disappeared. The shed itself is owned by Debbie Turner - probably the owner or owner's wife, and I think she's the one who found the hair bow and pen/pencil in the shed's doorway(I don't think Asha was ever actually inside the shed...just in the doorway). I don't want to think this is the case, but I'm wondering if the pen/pencil were dropped by Asha when she used them in an attempt to defend herself from the perp(they were the closest things to weapons that she had with her). The hair bow could have fallen off her head in the ensuing struggle. No signs of a struggle were mentioned(blood, hair, dirty footprints or dents on the shed, squashed grass, etc.), but something has to explain her dropping those items in that place...I doubt she walked around the property and said to herself, "You know, I think I'll go drop some of my stuff in front of that shed over there for no reason."

The question about RSOs is a very good one...and I wish I knew of a way to check neighborhoods for the history of which sex offenders may have lived in them...tons of websites are devoted to finding the sex offenders who currently live in a given place, but I'm not seeing anything that searches for past years(though it's possible a certain RSO did something to get the cops called on him in early 2000, and someone wrote an article about it that stated his address). Does anyone know of a site or resource for us? There has to have been at least one RSO in the area at the time - they're like cockroaches. They're everywhere.

The whole area looks pretty rural now(not sure about in 2000, but it doesn't strike me as a place that has changed much in a long time)...I'd actually think it was an extremely safe place to live in, and Asha may very well have even walked around at night all the time with no prior issue. At the intersection of 18 and 180, there's a gas station...but, still, nobody's sure if she went as far as that, or even wanted to. I think Turner Upholstery is the only place of business(except churches) between her house and the spot where her billboard stands. The billboard has a house on either side of it(my second map partially cuts off one of the houses, because I wasn't thinking about it when I made it). I don't know if police ever interviewed the owners/tenants of those houses, but I definitely hope they did. If Asha stood on that spot for the entire half-hour between the two witness sightings that both place her there, I'd think that someone living in one/both of those houses would have at least heard something - especially if she really did run from there into the woods.

When I first made the maps, I looked up the sales history of one of those houses(the one that got cut off my map, which is on the corner between 18 and Ridgedale, and would have been there in 2000 as it was built in the early 1900s). It sold recently...2011? I think. I couldn't find its history before its last sale, though. If either of the houses were also sold - or renovated - soon after Asha disappeared(or if any tenants left around that time), I think that would imply suspicion/involvement.

I imagine there is a lot of information(on DNA/fibers collected, physical evidence kept, likely locations for the perp's home or workplace) that police have but don't want to release. That's just as frustrating as all the vague article content I'm finding is, but I guess they have their reasons for revealing/not revealing things.

It still seems strange to me, though, that they'd suspect Donald Ferguson based on such a shaky lead. I'm glad they're looking into every possibility, but it seems like an illogical leap to make - suspicion based solely on "maybe he was there at the time" or "he killed someone else, so he could have killed her". It is every bit as likely that the most innocent-seeming person imaginable was responsible, so I hope they don't overlook someone with stronger ties to Asha while focusing on him, simply because he seems like(and clearly is) such a bad person.

I definately appreciate your map-making skills, and respect the research you have put into this case. Thank you for getting specific with some details and answering some of my questions. No, I wasn't really expecting you to make a map of the area Asha's bookbag was found...just hoping somebody local could provide details about the area that would help a non-local like myself better understand how the history, geography and even economics and culture of the area might impact her disappearance and the evidence found.

Since Asha's bow and pencil were found in the shed, the assumption is that she was inside (either willingly or by force). But maybe she was never anywhere close to the shed. Perhaps these items were planted there to try to frame the shed's owner or a worker at the upholstry business, or at least divert attention from the real location Asha was taken.

If she was not hit by a car, I think Asha was either abducted at random by a trucker, or lured from her home by somebody in her community who she trusted. However, I think it is reasonable and due diligence to look at any possible connection with Donald Ferguson. There are some similarities between Asha's case and his known victim, Shalonda Poole. Both crimes happened in North Carolina. Both victims were young girls. In my opinion there is a strong resemblence between the girls. Both girls left their homes in the early morning hours while their parents were still sleeping. Both girls were sharing a bedroom with a sibling on the night/morning they left home. There are of course many differences too. Shalonda's body was found just one day after she was reported missing. 15 years later there is no sign of Asha.

I'm still baffled by why Asha would leave home in the first place. By all reports she was very shy and had no history of running away or truancy. She loved school and got good grades. She was athletic, and also involved in her church. She was close to her family and well loved. She had a tight relationship with her brother. The Degree family did not have a home computer in 2000, so Asha would have limited access to the on line world. There is no report of her having a boyfriend.

Asha was said to be scared of the dark, dogs, and storms, so why would a shy but intelligent, happy, and accomplished young girl leave her house alone on a dark, rainy, foggy night. She did have some belongings and candy with her, but reportedly no coat. If she was planning on walking a far distance, why not bring raingear or a flashlight? It sounds more like she was packing for a sleepover with a friend than a road trip or runaway adventure. Is there any speculation that Asha was picked up by a vehicle from her home (or close to it), and that she really did not walk the mapped out route? I realize two different witnesses place her on Hwy 18, but how trustworthy or reliable are the witnesses?

Very sad case indeed. Such a mystery and so many questions.

I do not think she was sleepwalking; the backpack and candy wrappers found with her pencil, marker and hair bow just do not add up to this being sleepwalking.

Someone had to have lured her out of the house. The sightings of her add just another layer of mystery to this case, though.

This guy has been trying to work out what happened to Asha, here's his website https://findingashadegree.wordpress.com/

From what he's written I think someone she trusted outside of the family, such as a teacher/priest, should be looked at.

His website is the first place I've read anything about Asha taking family photos(three of them!) out of her home before leaving. If nobody else DID make the decision for her about what to pack, then the possibilities of what her intentions might have been are suddenly a lot more serious(it can no longer be a case of her merely wanting to have a secret sleepover with a BFF her parents maybe didn't like).

This is also the first time I've read that the day she went missing was her parents' anniversary. That makes this even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member