NC NC - Brent, Brenttany & Jennifer Hughes, & Sarena Glenn, Fayetteville, Dec 1996

I recall reading before (forgive my not remembering where, it was a while back) that the search for Robby (the mother) and her children was dropped, but that the search is still on for her sister, Jennifer? I also believe I read that Jennifer had been sighted. Can anyone clarify, or correct me if I am wrong?

This is one hell of an odd case. Does anyone know if they ever found Robby's blue van that she was supposedly driving to visit her family? I have a feeling that if they never found her van, this may be a case of where there was some sort of accident and have yet to be found. I do wish the families will finally get some answers.

I've been doing a little digging and I've found a few things regarding this case. Apparently according to LE..."Detectives said there have been confirmed sightings of Jennifer Hughes, including one at Walmart on Ramsey Street in Fayetteville. They said Floyd and her children may be hiding out in Alabama". I'm assuming that the Fayetteville they are referring to is in North Carolina given that the story is a local Fayetteville area TV station in North Carolina. http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8905576/

Also according to LE..."Law enforcement said the case is closed, but the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children still features the case on its web site. Investigators said Floyd might be using an alias, such as the last name Pressley or Glenn".

Obviously the first question I have is why would they be hiding? Of course my first thought would be that maybe she had to get away from her husband, but then again, she left their child, a son, with the husband. Given that she's apparently been married 3 times, maybe one of the other husbands forced her to leave.

But then the question has to be asked what about the younger sister? She's apparently stayed in Fayetteville as per the confirmed sighting of her in Fayetteville, so why would she stay instead of going back home to family in Alabama?

Also as sleuther PHB posted..."According to the comment posted by "Donna" on the charley project blog, back in 2009, at least Robby has been located alive by the authorities".

http://charleyross.wordpress.com/200...tery-families/

Strange case...

Just found this case by accident and I must say it's very intriguing!

I don't believe her husband has anything to do with the disappearances.

I think finding the motel they called from, tracking down the van and finding who is the mother that was introduced to the neighbour would be beneficial, but I'm not so sure if going to the motel they called from is all that good now since it was almost two decades ago.

It makes me wonder if they are under some kind of Witness Protection program. It could explain why they've closed the case but the people haven't appeared to have been found.

Although it is possible that they drove into a lake and nobody knows they're there.

Does anyone know if their family is still looking for them? (Robby's son, their mother, possibly her husband).

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/151868/

Per WRAL in 2000, Jennifer Hughes was confirmed being seen at the Walmart on Ramsey St in Fayetteville NC during the summer of 1999.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/112718/

Per WRAL in 2004, Robbie Floyd's SSN has been used twice in Alabama and since they went missing six people in Alabama have reported they spoke with the missing family members. It looks like their confidence in the reports that the family members were spoken to in Alabama is why Fayetteville NC closed their case.

Bumping - just stumbled upon this case. Wish that there were more concrete answers.

This case baffles me. Here are my main questions I have regarding this case:
1. (Assuming the accounts of her hiding out in Alabama) Why doesn't she just confirm her well-being and say she doesn't want anyone to know where she is located? I'd feel like if you are a missing person who doesn't want to be found, I'd want my missing persons case out of the public eye, it just seems like a lack of privacy if you don't want anyone to know your whereabouts, you know, if people are potentially reporting sightings of you.
2.Why do the circumstances of their disappearances vary so much? I found sources that say her SS# was used twice since, and other sources say they weren't used at all. There is also inconsistencies to the ages they were when they went missing. some list the ages in 1996, and others list how old they were when they were reported in 1998. Why?
3.Why exactly was their case closed? and why is everyone on the doe network listed but Robby?
4. How was the sighting of Jennifer in a Wal-mart in 1999 a confirmed sighting? Was there multiple sightings or was it an isolated incident? Who reported it? Why was she still in North Carolina if her family is supposedly in Alabama?
5.How did Robby make a living after her disappearance?And since all the children are adults now, how are they making a living? Was she hiding out with a boyfriend? Or family members helped to get her out of a situation? (The bad checks). I read somewhere Robby didn't finish high school and possibly never worked, and I'm assuming if someone helped her, they might get tired of supporting her after 20 years. How are the kids making a living without using their SS#'s?
6. Her youngest children have a heart condition that requires medication, why risk them not being able to get it by going under the radar? Couldn't they be traced through pharmacy records?
7. What made them decide not to visit their ailing father once they got there? If it was an excuse to get away, that's just awful!
8. Why wasn't the husband (separated or not) not initially concerned when he hadn't heard from her in awhile? Or wondered when she didn't attempt to see her child they had together?
9. Is the family telling the whole story here? Is there some family beef that wasn't directly addressed that may have drove them away? The husband moved away a few months after they disappeared, did he expect them to not come back? I think it was an aunt they finally reported them missing. The "Family is not missing" article mentions Robby's oldest daughter called her father twice since (for one, has this been verified by the dad?) and someone else answered one of the times and told her to not call anyone from the family anymore. If true, is their more to this? Did Robby anger her family to the point of desertion?
10. Jennifer was only 17 when she went missing, and wasn't reported for 2 years along with everyone else. Where or who was she living with when she went missing? If she lived with mom or dad, why were they not concerned when she didn't return? Did everyone just assume she was fine because she was with her sister? Did she finish High School?

I feel like there is more information about the missing sisters then the family is letting on. Maybe she ran off to a better life after her 3rd marriage failed. Some people find a 3rd failed marriage to be embarrassing. Maybe Jennifer came along to watch the children while she was working?

I have an aunt who I haven't seen since 2001. She cut all ties with my family after my aunt, father, and my uncle (all her siblings) refused to help her again after she got herself into avoidable trouble. My family tried to remain contact, but she just wouldn't have it. We even found out where she was staying and drove up there on her birthday and left presents on her doorstep. I was 11 or 12 years old at time and was really confused to why an adult would act in a way. The whole thing is really sad, and it's affected my aunt most of all, she tries writing her, and currently is trying to find out if she is even still in the state. Her children are both grown and married with children she has never met, and her oldest nephew died tragically a few years ago. I've wondered before if I could report her missing, because if something happened, how would we know? At least do a wellness check on her. Could Robby have a similar circumstance as my aunt?

I just wanted to add-

The aunt that reported them missing was mentioned in the 2004 "Missing family is not missing" article as saying, “Hamilton said it was her mother and stepfather who were helping her move. She filed missing persons report in 1998”. She commented in the comments section of the article saying, "My name is sue Hamilton. I am the aunt to this family.
Everything I read in this article is wrong , and some of it lies.I never stated to anyone that robbys mom and step-dad helped her move. And we have still not heard from our missing family. According to ABI Cumberland county BC has turned nothing over to them. But invited Faye Hester of ABI to come look at what they had on the case".
Read comment here (Scroll to the bottom of article or click comment button at top under article title)-> http://www.fayobserver.com/news/loc...d46-80db-58a7-bbfa-04f600540951.html#comments

The "Missing Family is not Missing" Article
I Can't find that article as being anywhere close to creditable and don't understand why people are taking it as fact.
1. Names are misspelled or wrong
They spell Sarena's name as "Sarina", and Brenttany's name was spelled as "Brittany". if you are writing an article on a case, at least get the names right! Was this an alias spelling?
They also call Robby Ann Floyd, Robby Glenn Hughes Floyd, which doesn't make sense if her maiden name was Hughes and not Glenn! And also when women are married more than once they likely don't use the past husbands name as their legal name. Is this one of her 14 alias's they claim she has used since 1996?
2. Some of the facts aren't mentioned anywhere else
Other articles seem to contradict what the 2004 article suggests, the only things seemingly consistent with other sources are that Robby may be using alias's, there were sightings of Jennifer, and they might be hiding out in Alabama. Most sources mention that their SS#'s haven't been used since 1996, so why all of a sudden "“We do know that in 1997 there was a three-month period when her name and Social Security number showed up associated with a company in Arizona"? The article also mentions that the day she disappeared "the Sheriff’s Office tried to summons her for writing bad checks", how come I can't find this anywhere else? Why is it not mentioned on their missing persons case profiles?
3. inconsistencies with the people mentioned
The aunt that reported them missing says she never mentioned this-> "Hamilton said it was her mother and stepfather who were helping her move". And the article also mentions that Sarena called her father twice after her disappearance. Why didn't anyone get a comment from the father about that? I found in a later article from 2011 where he says, "My gut feeling tells me something's not right. Just for five people coming up missing doesn't sound good from the start". The 2011 article also mentions that, "Glenn is hoping he'll someday see his daughter again, but after nearly 17 years..." Sounds like a worried father, not someone who has had any contact with his child.
4. The article was poorly written and the grammar is questionable
I'm not trying to insult the writer, but the article is just overall unprofessional. The title isn't Capitalized, some quotes don't have quotations, and a person mentioned in the article says they never even stated what the article claims they said. Was she even interviewed? Or was the information taken from another source that interviewed her?

My theories to what could have happened to them:

1. They got in a car accident and their van is in a body of water
They got in a car accident their vehicle has yet to resurface yet. Maybe that’s why they never made it to visit their father, and her car has never come up.

2. They are living under alias's as suspected
She actually did leave and is living under an alias, and maybe the sister came along to help raise her children.

3. The estranged husband was responsible or they met with foul play
The husband killed the whole family, except his own child. (Kind of hard to kill 5 people and dispose of the remains alone though.)

4. She was moving to be with a significant other (the mystery women helping them move maybe was his mother?)
Since she had never worked, I’m assuming she relied on the men in her life/family to live off of, I’ve seen this before and it’s kind of sad. People that jump from relationship to relationship to survive, I’m not saying Robby was like that, but she had been married a few times, 3 times I believe, and never finished high school or had any work experience. My thought is that with her marriage being estranged and possibly ending she had moved to be with a boyfriend that was helping her hide out. Maybe the unknown “mom” was actually the new boyfriend’s mother?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back