PARENTS KILLED AMBER ALERT ISSUED FOR 13-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER
---
POLICE NEED PUBLIC'S HELP IN FINDING MISSING AND PREGNANT KIERRA COLES

NC NC - Bryan Smith, 20, Wilmington, 1 May 1994

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by PFF, Sep 23, 2009.

1. PFF

PFF New Member

2. Grace1984

Grace1984 New Member

I'm gonna assume the post is referring to this...

http://www.ncdoj.gov/Crime/Solve-Crimes/SBI-Unsolved-Crimes/Bryan-Keith-Smith.aspx

3. PFF

PFF New Member

4. Sleuthster

Sleuthster Well-Known Member

http://www.ncdoj.gov/Crime/Solve-Crimes/SBI-Unsolved-Crimes/Bryan-Keith-Smith.aspx
    Description:
    On Sunday, May 1, 1994 around midnight, Brian Smith was last seen alone on Front Street between the Ice House Bar and the Micky Ratz Nightclub in Wilmington. The next week on Sunday, May 8, 1994, his body was found in Towncreek (Brunswick County) approximately eight miles from the Towncreek bridge on Highway 17.

Special attention should be given to this notice in England since the icebreaker, the HMS Endurance, was in port at the time and some of sailors from that ship may have seen or heard something which would provide important information to investigators. The victim also spelled his name as Bryan.

If you have information about this case, call the Brunswick County Sheriff's Office (910) 253-2777. If you have information about this case or any unsolved case in North Carolina, please contact the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation by email SBI Operations Center or by phone (800) 334-3000.

$6,000 REWARD for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for the murder of Brian Keith Smith.

5. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

From May 2011:

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20110507/articles/110509776?p=1&tc=pg

From May 2015:

http://www.wect.com/story/29011020/murder-case-remains-unsolved-21-years-later

6. aThousandYearsWide

aThousandYearsWide Well-Known Member

bryansmith.jpg
    Let me thank whoever posted this thread! This is a local case for me! He is buried in the same cemetery as my uncle and his tombstone was one of the ones that had a picture, and I remember always looking at it as a child (same photo as above from what I remember). My mom told me he had been murdered. My mom actually knew his mother Lou from the twins club.
    My mom was among these mothers, my twin sister died at 2 months old in 1991.

I actually walked to the area Bryan was last seen a few months ago. I wandered around the area wondering what it was like in 1993.

From what I always heard about the case was that he was possibly killed over a dispute over a girl. Searching for that info I found that was actually from a psychic:
    Him being last seen with four individuals on the Town Creek Bridge is new information to me.

This is also new information to me. What's funny is I was at the Barbary Coast yesterday. Back in the day it was a real rough biker bar. It has been here forever though so I'm not sure how it was in 93. Mickey Ratz was a gay bar located on 115 S Front St and is currently Aubriana's Steak and Seafood. From accounts I have read is that Marines would get in hate crime brawls, in other words "gay bashing", with the bars customers. I found this article: http://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/14/us/3-marines-are-acquitted-of-assault-at-gay-bar.html The Ice House bar on 115 Water st is also defunct and most likely was his destination to see a band (some sources list as reason for going downtown). The Ice House was a music venue/bar that opened in 1990 and was demolished in 2004.

Also mentioned in the prior article is they had arrested someone for Bryan's murder and had a warrant for another's arrest. Her name is Susan T. Tester, and she isn't the suspected killer, but was charged as an accessory for Bryan's murder and kidnapping. She was 25 at the time of the 2003 article so that would make her 16 at the time of the killing. The other person mentioned was John Virgil Masters. Not much was said about him. I can't find anything else on either of them.

7. siliconrod

siliconrod Well-Known Member

Justice for Bryan. I could not find any new information about John Virgil Masters than what was mentioned above. I don't know if the arrest warrant is still valid or not in regards to Masters. This case would be an excellent subject for the LordanArts Youtube channel presented by John Lordan. He covers unsolved murder and missing person cases.

8. Blue Girl1991

Blue Girl1991 Active Member

If the police arrested Susan T. Tester
    and charged her with an accessory for Bryan's murder and kidnapping I wonder why they couldn't find out during her investigation who murdered Bryan and why.

Almost 24 years past, I pray for justice for Bryan and his family,