Resolved NC - Cumberland Co, 'Baby Michael' Wht/NtvMale Newborn 387UMNC, Mar'99 *mom Guilty*

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/387umnc.htmlhttp://www.doenetwork.org/cases/387umnc.html

Unidentified White or Native Male

"Baby Michael"

• Located on March 3, 1999 in Cumberland County, North Carolina.
  • Cause of death was severe blunt force trauma to the head, chest, abdomen and pelvic area. Manner of death was homicide.

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: Newborn
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 7½ lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Full head of dark hair. Healthy, full-term baby. Was not fair complected. No alcohol or drugs in system.
  • DNA: Mother's profile entered into FBI Codis

Case History
On March 3, 1999 the body of a full term, newborn infant boy was found on Canady Pond Road, directly in front of the Shady Acres Rodeo Ranch. Canady Pond Road is a rural road in Cumberland County, approximately 4 miles outside of Fayetteville and 5 miles from Exit 41 on Interstate 95.
The baby was found in a large black plastic bag, which also contained the placenta. The bag appreared to have wrapped around the baby's legs after he rolled out of it. The trash bag is not an ordinary trash bag. It measures 35 inches in width and 55 inches in length, and because of it's size it is considered a Drum Limer.

He was either intentionally thrown from a moving vehicle or the bag unintentionally fell from the moving vehicle. The injuries were inflicted prior to the baby being deposited on the road and were too severe to have come from impact on the highway.

The mother left behind not only DNA, but also a pubic hair which was brown in color. The pubic hair may have come from a Caucasian or Lumbee Indian female. The mother took care of herself during pregnancy because of the weight of the baby and the lack of alcohol and drugs in the baby’s blood. She may/may not have needed medical attention after birth and may have suffered from severe blood loss. The baby was not born in a medical center.
The day before the baby was discovered, a witness remembered seeing a couple acting very distraught in a nearby clinic. The woman, who was pregnant at the time, became anxious, according to deputies, when a doctor told her she needed to go to the hospital for a specific maternity test. That same night, between 11:30 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. EDT, a witness saw a car parked on the side of Highway 87 near Canady Pond Road. The witness said a slender white male was behind the wheel of the car and a pregnant white female was in the passenger seat. The couple told the witness they were fine and the witness left the scene. Highway 87 and Canady Pond Road, the location of the deserted baby, are in close proximity.
Shortly after finding the baby, the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office decided to call him "Baby Michael" after Saint Michael, Patron Saint of Law Enforcement.

Well, I'll be the one to ask the obvious question. If the woman (who may or may not be connected to this case) was seen in a medical clinic seeing a physician, did they follow up with the clinic and physician to see who the patient was? Why is there no mention of that? Even if they didn't, you would think they would at least mention it.

Cross damaged at site where infant's body found

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/9209012/

from the above article:

The man who found the child's body, Neill Fowler, placed a cross at the site as a memorial 12 years ago and has tended to it since then. He said he went to the site Thursday morning to plant a rose bush to mark the anniversary of the baby's death and found the cross had been knocked down and broken.

It's nice to know this man still cares for this memorial. Sad to see the cross was likely damaged purposely at least from the looks of the photo at the above link. Maybe Baby Michaels case making MSM again will bring in some new leads.

From my earlier MS link.

Fowler said he's convinced the child's mother is the person who vandalized the memorial.

"It's got to be tearing her apart. She's got to be thinking about it," he said.

Cumberland County authorities issued notices this week that Thursday would have been Baby Michael's 12th birthday to generate leads in the case. Fowler said that probably upset the mother.

"Mom can't forget either, and she's disturbed (by it), I'm praying," he said.

Mr. Fowler, Go Neill GO! With all my full blooded die hard Cub fan enthusiam; only a few reach the match between diehard Cub fan and the unidentified; only a few would stay loyal 12 years later....

Ok, enough of my bragging about Cub fan loyalty.
God Bless Mr. Fowler and this precious child that just might be one of the few angel newborn/infants to get justice.

And I agree - The timing of destroying the memorial cross has some meaning. Either the mom which is hopefull.... random idiots hell bent on destroying property most likely would not do so on the anniversary of this little mans birthday unless they were local 'hoodlums' .

God Bless you Mr. Fowler, we need so many more like you.

Cross damaged at site where infant's body found

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/9209012/

from the above article:

The man who found the child's body, Neill Fowler, placed a cross at the site as a memorial 12 years ago and has tended to it since then. He said he went to the site Thursday morning to plant a rose bush to mark the anniversary of the baby's death and found the cross had been knocked down and broken.

It's nice to know this man still cares for this memorial. Sad to see the cross was likely damaged purposely at least from the looks of the photo at the above link. Maybe Baby Michaels case making MSM again will bring in some new leads.

I think Neill Fowler is an Angel.

After reading the news article on Baby Michael (at the link) on the news website I watched the news video clip (which has an interview with Neil Fowler at the scene)
I didn't know, but baby Michael was still alive when Neill found him :(

Baby Michael would be 14 years and 7 months old now.

Bumping for Baby Michael.
One day Justice for this little man will prevail.
I'd like to see a news report update on this little one, too.

2011 - The damaged cross Neill Fowler placed as a memorial for baby Michael.

babymichael-220x165.jpg

Given the "specific maternity test", I wonder if the child was born with some sort of abnormality, and they're withholding this info.

I also wonder if mom is deceased too. Throwing a newborn from a moving vehicle seems more like the actions of an enraged male than a distraught brand-new mother. JMO.

yes I agree. that poor little baby though :(

Given the "specific maternity test", I wonder if the child was born with some sort of abnormality, and they're withholding this info.

I also wonder if mom is deceased too. Throwing a newborn from a moving vehicle seems more like the actions of an enraged male than a distraught brand-new mother. JMO.

could it be that a "specific maternity test" was a DNA test and that the baby was not the presumed father's, and that is why this happened?

could it be that a "specific maternity test" was a DNA test and that the baby was not the presumed father's, and that is why this happened?
I can't imagine a situation under which a doctor would demand the mother take a paternity test. Unless she was doing it under duress from the male who was spotted with her.

After 'lurking' Websleuths for years, I stumbled upon this baby Michael thread and knew that I had to put this out there. A few years ago, a man was released from prison (unrelated crime) and murdered his own elderly mother. The rumor around town is that his mother wanted to come forward with the fact that was baby Michael's father and he was involved in the baby's death/disposal. What has always bothered me is this: If the rumor goes around a relatively small community (Gray's Creek is basically a more rural suburb of a suburb of a city) then the police must have heard the theory. Why have they not looked into this?

Well, I'll be the one to ask the obvious question. If the woman (who may or may not be connected to this case) was seen in a medical clinic seeing a physician, did they follow up with the clinic and physician to see who the patient was? Why is there no mention of that? Even if they didn't, you would think they would at least mention it.

Why hasn't this been followed up on? If a doctor told her to go to the hospital have a certain test, then he would have to have a record of the visit, no?

There seems to be a lot in this case that is not followed up on including the rumor I mentioned in my comment before. I have in mind a few cases that Cumberland County sheriffs/Hope Mills PD/Fayetteville PD have neglected to keep up with when there are theories or holes that should be looked into. Especially after the case has gone cold. The answer basically has to fall into their laps or the public outcry has to be great enough... but even then, if the public forgets about it, the PDs around here do too.

Also, the girl is rumored to be a girl named 'Misty' or possibly 'Mandy' who would have been in high school around the time. She is supposedly the ex-girlfriend of the man who killed his mother. It should also be noted that the cross memorializing baby Michael was vandalized around the same time the release from prison/mother murder occurred.

Are the initials of the man in question R.T.E? That was the only son murder mom article I can find. Sick SOB.

Yes, that's the one. He and his mother lived off of the same road that baby Michael was found. My boyfriend grew up off of that road as well and his brother went to high school with the couple. The girl was suspected to be pregnant throughout the first semester of school and then suddenly, she didn't seem to be pregnant anymore... with no baby to show for it. They had been rumored to be baby Michael's parents for years now yet, as far as I know, were never looked into. There is a small convenience store about 1/4 mile up the road from where he was disposed of and they were seen there that same night. But if he is serving life in prison for his mother's murder, I worry that that's good enough for the police. They don't seem to be very interested in closing the case if you ask me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back