GUILTY NC - Eve Carson, 22, UNC student, shot to death, Chapel Hill, 5 March 2008 - #2

Crimestoppers tips remain sealed in Carson case

HILLSBOROUGH (WTVD) -- Superior Court Judge Allen Baddour announced his decision Thursday on information police received from Crimestoppers tip lines in the Eve Carson murder.
After the murder, investigators got tips from Crimestoppers, and defense attorneys wanted to use that information at trial. But prosecutors said releasing the material would compromise a vital crime fighting tool as people who give tips about suspected criminals call the hotlines because they don't have to reveal their identity to police.

Thursday, Judge Baddour sided with prosecutors.

Attorneys also are awaiting a decision on the trial's location. The trial could move out of state. That decision is expected by next week.

more here

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=7258401&rss=rss-wtvd-article-7258401

Defense Attorneys Claim Durham Police Assaulted Atwater

Defense attorneys for a man facing federal charges in the death of the UNC's former student body president claim he was beaten by Durham police during his arrest.

Demario James Atwater faces a number of federal charges, including kidnapping and carjacking, resulting in the March 5, 2008, shooting death of Eve Marie Carson.

Authorities say Atwater and Laurence Alvin Lovette Jr., kidnapped Carson, forced her to withdraw money from ATMs, shot her five times, including once to the head, and left her on a residential street near the UNC campus.

In court documents filed Monday, attorneys for Atwater claim Durham police officers hit him during his arrest, when he voluntarily was lying down on the sidewalk and inside of a Durham police car.

Attorneys also claim that statements Atwater made during a 3-hour police interrogation at the Chapel Hill Police Department on March 12, 2008, show that he was in fear for his life.

Atwater was afraid he would be beaten or killed once the interrogation was completed or if he angered the investigating officers by invoking his right to a lawyer, attorneys said.

Throughout the taped interview, Chapel Hill Police Department Investigator Rodney Newcomer attempted to reassure Atwater that he was safe. At one point, Atwater tells the officer, “I’m about to get killed,” according to the filing.

Snipped from http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7326321/

These defendants will be taken care of one way or the other. If they are sentenced to death or if they are released, I feel they will be dealt with for their horrific crimes.

I live nearby and am a Tarheel fan. This was probably the most sadistic and unnecessary murder I have ever seen.(Dr. Petit's family too.) I often wish we could turn back time and save the lives so wrongfully taken from us. Eve was a gift from God that for some unknown reason not allowed to stay and make this world a better place. I can barely read about what happened to her because it is so painful.

No matter what these defendants say, I believe the proper thing will be done to them. No matter what, they will not escape justice.

These defendants will be taken care of one way or the other. If they are sentenced to death or if they are released, I feel they will be dealt with for their horrific crimes.

I live nearby and am a Tarheel fan. This was probably the most sadistic and unnecessary murder I have ever seen.(Dr. Petit's family too.) I often wish we could turn back time and save the lives so wrongfully taken from us. Eve was a gift from God that for some unknown reason not allowed to stay and make this world a better place. I can barely read about what happened to her because it is so painful.

No matter what these defendants say, I believe the proper thing will be done to them. No matter what, they will not escape justice.

Very well said, Prancy - couldn't agree more. I have trouble reading about it, too.

Suspect In Eve Carson Killing Pleads Guilty
Demario Atwater Pleads Guilty To Carjacking, Kidnapping Charges

POSTED: 1:41 pm EDT April 19, 2010

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- One of the men accused in the 2008 killing of University of North Carolina student body president Eve Carson has pleaded guilty to federal charges in the case.

Demario Atwater pleaded guilty Monday to several charges, including carjacking resulting in death and kidnapping. In response, prosecutors agreed to drop their plan to pursue the death penalty.

more here

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/23196589/detail.html

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7657531/

HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. — One of two men charged in the slaying of University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill student body president Eve Carson pleaded guilty Monday to first-degree murder, avoiding a possible death sentence for his role in the March 2008 crime.

Superior Court Judge Allen Baddour sentenced Demario James Atwater to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Last month, Atwater also avoided the death penalty by pleading guilty to five federal charges in the case, including carjacking resulting in death and kidnapping, in exchange for a life sentence without parole.

Under the agreement with the state, Atwater will serve his sentence in federal custody.

"Mr. Atwater, what you have admitted to doing was senseless, as it's been said by two attorneys before me," Baddour said. "It was wrong. It can have no place in our free society."

Atwater also pleaded guilty to robbery with a dangerous weapon, first-degree kidnapping and possession of a firearm by a felon. Charges of felonious larceny, possession of a weapon of mass destruction and possession of stolen goods were dismissed.

Baddour sentenced Atwater to 275 to 349 months on the remaining charges, to be served concurrently with the life sentence.

----snip----

New details revealed

Police found Carson's body in the early morning of March 5, 2008, in a neighborhood several blocks from the UNC campus while responding to reports of gunshots.

An autopsy found she was shot four times with a 25-caliber handgun and once – the fifth and fatal shot – with a sawed-off Harrington & Richardson 12-gauge shotgun.

"She had placed her (right) hand up to shield her head, whenever the shotgun was fired," Woodall said, outlining the facts of the case. "The medical examiner believed that she would have survived for some period of time, as to the gunshot wounds from the 25-caliber handgun."

Atwater and his alleged accomplice, Laurence Alvin Lovette Jr., went to Carson's home, abducted her and took her in her blue Toyota Highlander to make two ATM withdrawals each of $700 before killing her, Woodall said.

"All the other evidence tends to support that Eve Carson was – they confronted and took her from her home – if not actually inside her home, just outside her home," Woodall said.

Atwater later admitted to his girlfriend at the time, Shanita Love, what had happened, and he told about a dozen other people parts of what happened that night, Woodall said.

The crime was random, Atwater admitted, and he and Lovette, who is still awaiting trial, had been in Chapel Hill looking for people to rob.

What investigators were never able to determine was where Atwater and his alleged accomplice kidnapped Carson. There were a couple of different stories, he told, about how she was abducted, Woodall said.

"He told (Love) that they had gone into a sorority house through an open door and got Ms. Carson," he said.

"There was never any evidence discovered, other than this statement, that anyone went into the house," Woodall continued.

Other evidence also put Atwater and Lovette in Chapel Hill and near Carson's home that morning.

Around 3:30 a.m., Woodall said, a woman reported seeing "two suspicious black males" in the area of Rosemary Street near the house where Carson lived on Friendly Lane.

Video footage showed the men, identified as Atwater and Lovette, walking and, a few minutes later, driving by in Carson's SUV.

Lovette also used a cell phone that could be traced to Franklin Street, about a mile from Carson's home, at 3:02 a.m., Woodall said.

After Atwater's arrest, police also found Carson's iPod in his truck and shotgun shells consistent with the murder weapon in his home.

DNA evidence in Carson's SUV also linked Atwater to the crime, Woodall said.

"That is some of the evidence in this case," he said. "This is a case where there is literally a mountain of evidence, and it seems clear that the defendant was the one who fired the shotgun on this occasion."

More at link.
Bold by me - the part I bolded just makes me even more :furious: - I mean, that's about how I had interpreted the autopsy report, but to have my suspicions confirmed by a legitimate source...

Now if only the other will plead out so Eve's poor family won't have to sit through all the horrid details of that night at trial...I highly doubt that will happen without the DP hanging over his head though.

I have read your recent post above and also others that contain theories of how Eve was abducted by these defendants. What I don't understand is that why LE still doesn't know how she was abducted. With the guilty pleas, wouldn't the prosecutors have been able to confirm exactly what happened. Did they ring the bell and wait for her to answer? Did they enter in an unlocked door? Did they confront her as she was going to her vehicle? I just don't understand why it's impossible for them to not know this by now, especially with a guilty plea.

I have read your recent post above and also others that contain theories of how Eve was abducted by these defendants. What I don't understand is that why LE still doesn't know how she was abducted. With the guilty pleas, wouldn't the prosecutors have been able to confirm exactly what happened. Did they ring the bell and wait for her to answer? Did they enter in an unlocked door? Did they confront her as she was going to her vehicle? I just don't understand why it's impossible for them to not know this by now, especially with a guilty plea.

I believe that the problem lies with the guilty parties having given multiple versions of the events of that night while bragging to friends, while having never made official confessions (they generally aren't required for a guilty plea). Top that off with the fact that these types of offenders aren't well known for telling the truth, and it's no wonder that prosecutors really don't know what to believe - though it is possible they will refine their theories by the time the final trial takes place.

Personally, I find it most likely that they slipped in through an unlocked back door, as that is a common theme I've seen in a lot of cases with these types of offenders, especially when the victims are in a low crime area like where Eve lived.

Trial set for man charged with killing UNC student

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/10196167/

Laurence Alvin Lovette Jr. is scheduled to go on trial in Orange County Nov. 28. The 20-year-old is charged with first-degree murder in the 2008 death of Carson, a native of Athens, Ga. Lovette will not face the death penalty because he was a minor at the time.

Well, they're making some progress towards trial. IMO, already seating nine jurors is very good progress in just 3 days. Apparently, they only plan to seat 2 alternates.

This announcement was as of Thursday, 12/01/11. Only 3 days to seat 9. They will be seating jurors today (Friday), so maybe we'll be underway by mid-next week. (I hope I'm not jinxing it by speaking too soon. I'm very superstitious about trials and saying things early -- "counting un-hatched chickens, & all that...").

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10450555/

Here is a link from local TV station WRAL (Raleigh, NC) and it has a list of links in it covering the case from its beginning. A nice source for those wanting to join this trial now and who would like to catch-up, or for those of us who can't remember diddly.

This station has covered via live stream several trials in the last couple of years, but they all have been in Wake County, NC. I do not know if they plan to cover this one since it is not in the usual courtroom where they have been allowed to set up their equipment and have an "understanding" with the County Courts system.

I'll see if I can find any info -- unless some other WSleuther already knows if and by whom it will be covered.

Anybody have any info on that??

http://www.wral.com/news/local/page/2544524/

Here is the latest according to WRAL:

"HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. — Opening statements could begin as early as Tuesday in the trial of a man charged in the shooting death of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's student body president more than three years ago.

More Info WRAL.com archive: Eve Carson murder case

Defense attorneys and prosecutors chose the 12th member of the jury Monday morning in the trial of Laurence Alvin Lovette Jr., 21, who is charged with first-degree murder in the March 5, 2008, death of Eve Marie Carson, 22.
Superior Court Judge Allen Baddour, however, sent jurors home for the day. Three alternate jurors still need to be selected. Baddour had anticipated only seating two alternate jurors but decided Monday on three....."

Read on at this link:

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/10462802/

Here's a little more news from WRAL:

"HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. — Opening statements could begin as early as Tuesday afternoon in the trial of a man charged in the shooting death of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's student body president more than three years ago.
Full coverage: Eve Carson murder
As of Monday afternoon, defense attorneys and prosecutors had selected 12 jurors and two alternate jurors to hear the case of Laurence Alvin Lovette Jr., who is charged with first-degree murder in the 2008 death of Eve Carson.
A spokeswoman for the court said one more alternate juror is needed and that Superior Court Judge Allen Baddour anticipates opening statements sometime after lunch Tuesday.
WRAL News plans to cover the trial live on WRAL.com. Sign up for breaking news and video alerts to be notified when opening statements begin....."

Entire article:

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/10467722/

It looks like wral.com will cover the trial live, so we may get to see something this afternoon! It's coming at us, so we need to be ready.

They're still trying to seat the 3rd (and final) jury alternate. Judge Baddour has now scheduled opening arguments for 9:30EST on Wednesday morning, 12/07. We'll see...
icon6.gif

Here is part of WRAL's article:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Posted: 10:07 a.m. today
Updated: 23 minutes ago
Opening statements now Wednesday in UNC murder trial

HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. — Opening statements are now expected Wednesday morning in the trial of a man charged in the shooting death of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's student body president more than three years ago.
After six days of jury selection, prosecutors and defense attorneys still had one alternate juror left to seat Tuesday afternoon in the case of Laurence Alvin Lovette Jr., who is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Eve Carson.
A spokeswoman for the court said that Superior Court Judge Allen Baddour had anticipated selection to be complete Tuesday morning and scheduled proceedings to begin after lunch.
Baddour has scheduled opening statements for 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, the spokeswoman said....."

Full article:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10467722/

:seeya: Good Morning, Sleuthers!

Below is an article containing a link that gives us one method of accessing WRAL's online trial coverage. It is not valid yet since court will convene at 9:30amEST.

Let's hope things are in order with the Court & principals so the coverage can start "on time."

http://www.wral.com/news/local/page/2544524/?navkeyword=eve+carson

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back