NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another podcast (with 2 hosts, close to 2 hrs. long), called “In Sight,” on the case came out this month (apologies if it’s already been cited, but don’t recall it -- it must be at least the 10th podcast or video on this case):
132: Faith Hedgepeth

Mostly a straightforward re-cap of everything already reported.

Thing's we can point out, which are very important for us to realize, this is due to the fact that the autopsy report shows no signs of a sexual assault. Very interestingly, we take interest to the fact that the report mentions nothing about semen on FH's body. If so, it would be mentioned in the autopsy report. At the crime scene, police officers would not have been finding or collecting semen from FH's body. It's important to know that only the MD would be allowed to do that, and we take note of knowing that it would be clearly stated in the autopsy report. So if there was any semen, it would have been somewhere else, but because their was no sexual assault; it leaves us with reasonable doubts as to if there was any at all. Knowing that we know that the news release posted by Cadwrest was issued by an officer at the Chapel Hill Police Station, and he/she is not a Medical Examiner, but together we can brainstorm a dozen reasons why investigators working on this case in 2014, would want the public to take interest in believing what was written in the release as truth. Because FH's clothing had been pulled off, between all of us, we have to believe that the killer staged the crime seen to make it "APPEAR" that a sexual assault had taken place.

You're conflating a lot of different things.
The regular duty officers at the scene would not be collecting that sort of evidence, but the Crime Scene Investigator absolutely would. CSIs are responsible for collecting the evidence from the scene. The Medical Examiner who does the autopsy then examines the body and would be responsible for determining if there were semen inside her. There apparently wasn't, but it not being present in the autopsy report does not mean it was not at the scene.
The autopsy revealed no trauma to her genitals and made no mention of semen. It's reasonable to conclude then that there was no violent rape. There could still have been a coerced rape (by intimidation, for instance), and sexual assault may not even involve the victim's genitals at all. It's impossible to know that for sure from the autopsy report.
As I said at the time, Breaking Homicide missing that piece of evidence was a serious problem for the show. A lot of people tend to handwave the semen evidence because it does not fit their theory of the case, but BH didn't even do that. I'm not sure whether they just overlooked it while doing their research (they made a couple of other little mistakes that made it clear there were gaps in their knowledge) or whether they just didn't want that evidence to limit their conclusions.
But the bottom line is, aside from Breaking Homicide not mentioning it, there's no other reason to believe there wasn't semen evidence at the murder scene.

Nevertheless, because of the brutality, and aggressiveness of the attack. It would leave one to believe that SA was not a motive in the murder of Faith Hedgepeth.

The perpetrator who committed this crime moved very quickly when launching the assault. For instance: if the perpetrator was someone off the street, it's very likely he/she entered the appartment and immediately walked up to the location of the bottle; picked it up, and stormed into the bedroom and murdered FH.

IMO.. I think FH was chased into the bedroom by the attacker. I think she may have been struck in the back of the head first, and the attack ended on the bed.

Last edited:
You're conflating a lot of different things.
The regular duty officers at the scene would not be collecting that sort of evidence, but the Crime Scene Investigator absolutely would. CSIs are responsible for collecting the evidence from the scene. The Medical Examiner who does the autopsy then examines the body and would be responsible for determining if there were semen inside her. There apparently wasn't, but it not being present in the autopsy report does not mean it was not at the scene.
The autopsy revealed no trauma to her genitals and made no mention of semen. It's reasonable to conclude then that there was no violent rape. There could still have been a coerced rape (by intimidation, for instance), and sexual assault may not even involve the victim's genitals at all. It's impossible to know that for sure from the autopsy report.
As I said at the time, Breaking Homicide missing that piece of evidence was a serious problem for the show. A lot of people tend to handwave the semen evidence because it does not fit their theory of the case, but BH didn't even do that. I'm not sure whether they just overlooked it while doing their research (they made a couple of other little mistakes that made it clear there were gaps in their knowledge) or whether they just didn't want that evidence to limit their conclusions.
But the bottom line is, aside from Breaking Homicide not mentioning it, there's no other reason to believe there wasn't semen evidence at the murder scene.

There is no separate investigation "team" that examines the outside of the body, and another "team," that examines the inside of the body. In a case such as this: only the coroner would be allowed to examine the body.

Cross-contamination would just be to much of a risk.

Hate going in circles like this but I WILL reiterate:

1) Semen WAS found at the crime scene as repeatedly reported from early on — that means it was either ON Faith, on her clothing, or on the bedding, since the on-scene LE do not do internal examinations of the victim. And the DNA of that semen matches the touch DNA on the murder weapon & note, and further led directly to a physical profile of the perp from Parabon Labs.

2) The autopsy report DOES SAY that rape kit swabs (vaginal) were done (as well as fingernail scrapings) and sent off for analysis — we have never heard the results of those analyses, but there’s never been any indication that rape was completed (though those kit results could confirm one way or the other). Of course a LOT could be done to a victim in the way of sexual assault, but short of rape.

3) We actually DON’T KNOW when the note on the bag was written, before or after the crime.

4) Some folks are relying too heavily on the Breaking Homicide investigation (out of many podcasts), which brought up some interesting points, but overall was a pretty mixed bag IMO.

5) As far as palm prints and fingerprints, police have (so far as I know) incredibly, never said what if anything was found.

6) People can make assumptions and guesses, but we really don’t know how long the perp was in the apt., how long the assault took, or how long they took to leave.

Nevertheless, because of the brutality, and aggressiveness of the attack. It would leave one to believe that SA was not a motive in the murder of Faith Hedgepeth.

The perpetrator who committed this crime moved very quickly when launching the assault. For instance: if the perpetrator was someone off the street, it's very likely he/she entered the appartment and immediately walked up to the location of the bottle; picked it up, and stormed into the bedroom and murdered FH.

IMO.. I think FH was chased into the bedroom by the attacker. I think she may have been struck in the back of the head first, and the attack ended on the bed.
I agree with her being hit from behind first. There is a large laceration on the side of her head behind her ear.

I agree with her being hit from behind first. There is a large laceration on the side of her head behind her ear.

If her head was much lower than that of the perp his swing could come down toward the back of her head -- actually the laceration is more toward the right side of the head, not the very back -- which could be indicative of a left-handed perp. (and the other head lacerations are at the front of the head)

Hate going in circles like this but I WILL reiterate:

1) Semen WAS found at the crime scene as repeatedly reported from early on — that means it was either ON Faith, on her clothing, or on the bedding, since the on-scene LE do not do internal examinations of the victim. And the DNA of that semen matches the touch DNA on the murder weapon & note, and further led directly to a physical profile of the perp from Parabon Labs.

2) The autopsy report DOES SAY that rape kit swabs (vaginal) were done (as well as fingernail scrapings) and sent off for analysis — we have never heard the results of those analyses, but there’s never been any indication that rape was completed (though those kit results could confirm one way or the other). Of course a LOT could be done to a victim in the way of sexual assault, but short of rape.

3) We actually DON’T KNOW when the note on the bag was written, before or after the crime.

4) Some folks are relying too heavily on the Breaking Homicide investigation (out of many podcasts), which brought up some interesting points, but overall was a pretty mixed bag IMO.

5) As far as palm prints and fingerprints, police have (so far as I know) incredibly, never said what if anything was found.

6) People can make assumptions and guesses, but we really don’t know how long the perp was in the apt., how long the assault took, or how long they took to leave.

It's possible that a lot of information is based on small "scrappy" internet articles/blog-post and other innuendos to say the least.

1) forensic pathologist have reported no semen found in or on FH.

2) The lady from CHIPs told 20/20, that it "appeared," that a sexual assault took place. The fact that she was found with no clothes on would make it appear that that's what happened, but it did not. It's a safe bet that the bed/bedding in the bedroom, without doubt, would have been a smorgasbord of DNA. Assuming that much of this DNA has been accounted for, we can assume that some has not; which could lead to the Parabon profile.

3) because the note was written with such rage/anger. We should likely presume that it was authored after the crime.

4) opposed to every article/blog-posting/news-documentry created so far; the Breaking Homicide episode has been the most informative/professional and best as far as an investigation standpoint to date.

5) if there is DNA of a suspect, then we must assume that there could be prints as well.

6) people can make assumptions and theories based upon circumstantial evidence.

7) It's evident that some people need to ask themselves if they came here to seek justice for Faith Hedgepeth, or play "defense attorney" for certain suspect(s)?

It's no doubt that people after watching the Breaking Homicide documentary would find it odd that Faith Hedgepeth's roommate KR, who was not willing to speak to Derrick and Kris, may find it suggesting that she has no interest in participating in any search to help find her friend's killer. On the other hand, not speaking or returning phone calls to Roland and Connie, can be seen as a concern as to why she would not want to help them find their daughter's killer. Ether way, this behavior can be seen as being a bit disturbing; to say the least. It is possible that she does not want to answer any questions about the shirt that she wore to her friends house that early morning. Apparently, this shirt was confiscated by the Chapel Hill police; because it was suspected to of had a spec of blood on it. When Detectives Kris and Derrick from Breaking Homicide, ask the Chapel Hill police about the shirt, they were told that it was tested, but was not indicative enough to say it could tie into Faith's murder, but what they would not say, is that the spec was not blood. This can be seen as being very interesting.

Ibiz said:
7) It's evident that some people need to ask themselves if they came here to seek justice for Faith Hedgepeth, or play "defense attorney" for certain suspect(s)?

It’s evident some people need to ask themselves if they came to seek justice for Faith, or play an inept "prosecuting attorney" and point the finger at a woman who is probably innocent (whom the CHPD has outright said is not a suspect), which they can only do by pretending certain evidence doesn’t exist.

I’m finished dealing with this subject. The evidence is what it is. Closing your eyes and putting your fingers in your ears does not make it go away.

And I shouldn’t need to say it, but I will: Ignoring exonerating evidence so you can accuse someone does not further the cause of justice. It only harms it.

If her head was much lower than that of the perp his swing could come down toward the back of her head -- actually the laceration is more toward the right side of the head, not the very back -- which could be indicative of a left-handed perp. (and the other head lacerations are at the front of the head)
I think there is also a contusion behind the ear. Does anyone know if anyone besides JM on the soccer team was looked at ?

I think there is also a contusion behind the ear. Does anyone know if anyone besides JM on the soccer team was looked at ?

LE implies that by looking at 1000+ individuals they have covered all those known to be in or near Faith’s circle of acquaintances -- one would imagine that includes the soccer team players (though always possible someone got missed).
The killer, if not a stranger, would seem to be someone outside Faith's known circles — could be a customer of the restaurant where she worked (even someone just passing through town), or a male from any of the nightclubs or venues she & KR frequented — I’m doubtful it’s anyone directly connected to UNC, but only because I think police would’ve had a better lead on that by this late date… they did say they got 100s of new leads following release of the Parabon profile, but then never reported what came of those leads? Just more disappointing silence.

My problem with a complete stranger is what they at one time called * undoing *. He beats her about the head but then leaves her head covered. He rapes her but envelops her closer into the comforter. He leaves the infamous note. I am hoping like everyone that GED genealogy will lead to answers.

My problem with a complete stranger is what they at one time called * undoing *. He beats her about the head but then leaves her head covered. He rapes her but envelops her closer into the comforter. He leaves the infamous note. I am hoping like everyone that GED genealogy will lead to answers.

It doesn’t have to be a “complete” stranger, just someone she only encountered once or a few times — and rejected when they came on to her. Early-on, police felt this was a very “personal” crime, largely because of the written note, but again, for someone being rejected, even once, it might’ve felt very personal, even if they had no longstanding relationship to her. In any event I think we’re all looking naturally for easy black-and-white answers where a lot of gray, what-if possibilities remain.

It always comes back to: this is a very strange case and no obvious scenario (that hasn't been ruled out by DNA) explains the evidence.

That's why I sometimes think the note (and apparent "familiarity" of the killer) may mean it was someone unhinged who had a connection to her in his mind that did not exist in reality. An unknown stalker perhaps, or someone she had encountered but didn't "know."

It always comes back to: this is a very strange case and no obvious scenario (that hasn't been ruled out by DNA) explains the evidence.

That's why I sometimes think the note (and apparent "familiarity" of the killer) may mean it was someone unhinged who had a connection to her in his mind that did not exist in reality. An unknown stalker perhaps, or someone she had encountered but didn't "know."

One of my earlier theories suggested a stalker, or someone she had a casual flirting/emotional affair with; but it doesn't really make sense that a stalker would enter into the appartment with murder on his mind, and fail to bring his own weapon.

Did he know the bottle would be there?

Did he know the door would be unlocked?

Why would FH have been sleeping in KR's bed? Did KR tell FH she was leaving, and say: "Go ahead and sleep in my bed. I'm leaving, and have no plans of locking the door?"

Why only one appartment key?

KR just had her locks changed. Wouldn't she have been given two keys?

Why was it so important for KR to leave the appartment at 4:30 am, to sleep at someone else's house when she could have just slept in her own bed?

What about the suspicious messages sent from FH's phone at 3:50 am?

What about the loud pounds on the floor heard by the downstairs neighbor at 2:40 am?

What's with the suspicious 911 call?

Why 7-years of silence? Why not at least speak to Roland and Connie?

Why didn't she show up to her friend's funeral?

Could she provide information that could help police solve this crime?

One of my earlier theories suggested a stalker, or someone she had a casual flirting/emotional affair with; but it doesn't really make sense that a stalker would enter into the appartment with murder on his mind, and fail to bring his own weapon.

Did he know the bottle would be there?

Did he know the door would be unlocked?

Why would FH have been sleeping in KR's bed? Did KR tell FH she was leaving, and say: "Go ahead and sleep in my bed. I'm leaving, and have no plans of locking the door?"

Why only one appartment key?

KR just had her locks changed. Wouldn't she have been given two keys?

Why was it so important for KR to leave the appartment at 4:30 am, to sleep at someone else's house when she could have just slept in her own bed?

What about the suspicious messages sent from FH's phone at 3:50 am?

What about the loud pounds on the floor heard by the downstairs neighbor at 2:40 am?

What's with the suspicious 911 call?

Why 7-years of silence? Why not at least speak to Roland and Connie?

Why didn't she show up to her friend's funeral?

Could she provide information that could help police solve this crime?

I can't entertain this line of thinking. I've read every post and article there has ever been on this case and there is zero evidence linking her roommate (or any female for that matter) to her death.

I just heard the 911 call for the first time on a podcast. I had no doubt while listening that this was someone who was completely in shock and trying to figure out how to deal with what she was seeing. It was actually really difficult to hear - I almost had to shut it off - because I didn't like listening to someone seeing that their friend was probably murdered and not understanding how or why.

I can't entertain this line of thinking. I've read every post and article there has ever been on this case and there is zero evidence linking her roommate (or any female for that matter) to her death.

I just heard the 911 call for the first time on a podcast. I had no doubt while listening that this was someone who was completely in shock and trying to figure out how to deal with what she was seeing. It was actually really difficult to hear - I almost had to shut it off - because I didn't like listening to someone seeing that their friend was probably murdered and not understanding how or why.

Well firstly: if you walked in to a room and saw a bloody murder scene, you would probably want to get out of the appartment as soon as possible: knowing the murderer could still be there.

Secondly: you wouldn't describe a bloodied murder victim at a very bloody crime scene as maybe being unconscious.

Thirdly: you wouldn't walk in and out of the bedroom (crime scene) pacing back and fourth, while pretending to give the deceased victim CPR, and blaitenly lieing to the 911 operator.

Fourthly: you would want the operator to know your name and address, instead of just continuously repeating that you weren't there, and don't know what happened.

According to a neighbor, when she came downstairs from the appartment, she wasn't crying or in any shock, and was able to stand around sending text messages.

To me, she sounded just as cool as a cucumber while speaking with the 911 operator. She even took time to let the operator know how tired she was. At no time did she seem to have much concern for the victim, but she did seem concerned with establishing an alibi for herself.

I have always been suspicious of KR for a variety of reasons, but reports clearly and consistently state that semen was found on Faith and that matching male DNA was found at the scene --- namely, on the bottle, on the pen, and on the note. To try to muddy the waters on this point is not helpful.

"Investigators found semen on Hedgepeth, but they have not said if she had been sexually assaulted before she was killed. DNA from the semen matched male DNA found elsewhere in the apartment."
- WRAL (Raleigh), September 2014
Newly released docs detail police's case in UNC student's murder :: WRAL.com

Last edited:
Yet another new, 90-min. podcast on the Hedgepeth case (audio quality a bit less than some other podcasts, but passable):
[Bonus] The Tale of Faith Hedgepeth | Orbital Jigsaw

There’s long review of Karena’s 911 call and of the butt-dial call. I think the narrator is wrong about a few details of Brandon Edwards' relationship to the case, but that’s minor. Most of the narrator’s major speculations/conclusions come after the 1:02:00 point, and then her own theory-of-sorts in the final 9 minutes.

If I heard correctly (again, had some trouble with the audio in spots) the narrator does report Faith was raped and the rape kit shows it (though I know of at least one report of this I still am not convinced it’s publicly established, though it doesn’t even really matter since I think it clear there was at least an attempted rape -- it only matters to those who think the whole scene was “staged” to look like rape).

Podcast covers most of the main known parts of this case, leaving out only any discussion of the boyfriend Ty McNeil brought up by some others. Toward the end the narrator cites several individuals as having “never” given DNA samples — but my own understanding is that all those she names HAVE been DNA-tested by this point.

Hope folks don't get bored with me mentioning new cases solved in part by Parabon Labs (even when unrelated specifically to Faith's death), but here's another involving the 20 yr-old unsolved murder of a young boy:
Virtual News Room (Page 2)

I'm seeing about 1 or more cases per week now being solved by Parabon, and only picked out this particular one because it took place in Mebane, NC., not far from Chapel Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member