NC NC - James 'Martin' Roberts, 19, Boone, 21 April 2016

I’d hope it’s not Martin, and that he’s still alive somewhere; but would also hope law enforcement would check these things for comparison but in these smaller jurisdictions you have to wonder... it’s a good observation on your part and hopefully has been checked and ruled out.

Right, i agree 100% i hope he is alive and well, i just wish this family had closure if anything. i couldnt imagine.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I don’t wanna jump to any conclusions on this by no means, I would like to get another opinion if possible. A unidentified body was found in Wilkesboro Nc, which isn’t too far from Boone. The description of the body itself matches the description of James. Some of the clothes he was wearing matches too but not all.
Body found in woods in Wilkesboro

Also this has been from May of 2019 I believe, but as far as I know it’s still an unsolved case.
I just found this UID's NamUS profile -the remains are still not identified. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

4 years gone. Too long! Where are you James??
Agreed! four years is a very long time for someone to disappear voluntarily in my opinion. Unfortunately, it is beginning to seem improbable that he is still somewhere out there and no one has reliably seen him in four years... On a slightly different note, the fraternity he was a part of was banned by ASU in either 2018 or 2019 for a multitude *of repeated police incidents and violations of student conduct codes. The local chapter is banned from reapplying until at least 2023, and until all former members of the fraternity have graduated and/or otherwise left the college. In my opinion that may speak some to the culture he found himself surrounded by in the people he lived and most heavily associated with presumably. It is my hope that he is somewhere out in the woods or far from here safe and sound, or that if nothing else they can find some part of him to bring answers to his family and eventually peace.

*edit : just a spelling correction

Last edited:
Did I just miss it in the thread somewhere? Where did he get the antidepressant pills? Whomever that was knew he was having a hard time. Kid did a bunch of walking, could have walked right into a "depression help" group like a neighborhood AA meeting or met someone at the bus stop etc. Someone gave him the pills and the key to understanding what happened to him is finding where he got the meds. At the very least, whomever gave him the meds would... 1. know more about the situation because he or she gave him the meds and can help the investigation by providing details of their conversations or 2. took advantage of James' state of mind and pushed James to some specific outcome or worse. Did I just miss the follow through on the pills?

The point is. Folks can hypothesize his disappearance being about depression and expectations and say he walked away or even committed suicide but he didn't get THERE without reaching out in such a way that enabled him to get antidepressants. Someone with access provided them to him and that SOMEONE is quantifiable and identifiable through proper investigation. Take a look at his computer, see if he gained access to them through online means such as depression hotlines and black market websites. When that doesn't pan out. Look at every prescriber of those meds in a 30 mile radius to his home. More important, draw a line from ANYONE in the same radius that had a legitimate prescription for those meds and see if they intersect James. While doing all of this keep a close eye on his "fraternity" The hazing and secrecy culture and the culture of fraternities combined with privileged access to many drugs makes the fraternity a group of interest. James brought food home but it wasn't found in his refrigerator... You don't take food with you if your intention is to commit suicide. So, he didn't take his bank card but figured he'd bring food for a week? Either someone he lived with figured he would help himself to the food or James took it because he knew he would need it, yet didn't feel safe about bringing his bank card or his "depression meds" Hmmm. Who was the brazen room mate that took his food and was not worried about James coming home and finding out? Who gave him access to the pills?

Last edited:
How about check the history of a few of the lesser known or volunteer type drug and alcohol recovery programs in Boone. Maybe his "big change" was to get better. You wouldn't need a bank card and are not allowed computers and phones but WOULD need your ID to check in. One thing leads to another and his abrupt halt of antidepressants, unknown to the facility sponsors, brings about a seizure and at best, he's mentally incapacitated to some degree or at worst, becomes a liability to the facilitators. Wonder if any "treatment" organizations closed up shop around then. Still wonder where his food went? If he took it with him, it would point to a facility that was not traditionally funded and couldn't provide sustenance through the program. Like perhaps one offered by a church. This is of course if his roommates aren't responsible for raiding his food.. knowing he wouldn't be back for it. And of course, let's just point out that fraternity life, antidepressant meds and alcohol are a volatile mixture. I wouldn't shut the door on an accident or death as a result of this combination and the "brother" who might happen to be the one who gave him the pills to begin with engages in a cover up. Polygraph every single one of those fellows, paying special attention to anyone who had access to those types of pills.

Last edited:
After watching this case recently on Disappeared, I'm going to have to go with the theory of "intentional suicide."

Aun - I oft find it fascinating how two people can read the same case information and come away with different opinions. I so much just want to look at your post and agree because it makes complete sense if you view the data in a specific way. In my case, I just feel there are a few key elements missing and a few others that are anomalous to the point I do not see this as a suicide based on the input. Granted, I am heavily influenced by the presentation of this case in the "Disappeared" episode and the consumption of this thread so perhaps I am working with a lighter set of data than you. That said, I think some of the evidence and circumstance actually point to something other than suicide. I'm not quoting here to try and argue any point, just to put things into perspective and how how interesting it is to see that same thing differently. Thank you for the post because it really touched on the key elements of the case.

—his parents' separation and estrangement (a word which Disappeared used, and to me suggests they were no longer even on speaking terms; in the episode, the parents never appeared together or even referred to one another, if I remember correctly);

Aun - In my view I do not place such a high level of importance on the parents being divorced. If you watch all seasons of Disappeared with an eye towards the parents never appearing together you will find a very large portion of the cases have this circumstance and in the majority of them, suicide is not the outcome. Granted, this is in NC, where the idea of a nuclear family is still an important social link, I have found young adults of the modern generations are becoming increasingly desensitized to non traditional scenarios. Sure, when a traditional family breaks down, the young children can react in expected ways but the older they get, the less this matters. I just do not place a large emphasis on this circumstance. I think the statistics would show fewer young adults commit suicide when their parents divorce than do.

—the natural anxiety that comes from going to college away from home; at that age, you begin to feel like you need to have the rest of your life figured out, since you know that you're going to have to declare a major soon;

Aun - I'm on the fence with this one. Being away from home can be very scary for a young man but in this case he is like 1.5 hours away from where he went to high school. Right? Literally a stone throw down the road from the safety of his social circles when needed. Granted this could become an issue if he was completely cut off from his family and friends but he wasn't. In fact, I think he resisted help from his family by keeping them in the dark about his issues and certainly turned away his girl friend after the DUI. This does not seem like someone who was overwhelmed with loneliness. Conversely, I see your point about needing to have things figured out. I can imagine that pressure making him feel conflicted in terms of not being in school like he is "expected" and therefore feeling like he's failing. I can see that much but does it add up to suicide?

—the fact that he felt he wasn't taking proper advantage of the many opportunities and privileges his parents afforded him.

Aun - I think this statement is not a statement that profoundly points to depression and suicide. To me, it's an acknowledgement and an affirmation that he has figured things out. He knows what's wrong and as such, he knows how to fix it. He wasn't deflecting and he certainly wasn't asking for pity. He simply expressed a moment of clarity.

—the DWI, which was probably the catalyst to the breakdown because it was a tangible representation of everything he perceived was going on with his life;

I think the DWI was a catalyst as you mention but we have to remember, he survived the DWI. He survived the fallout of the DWI, and apparently was dealing with it. The DWI was the moment of rock bottom. I think right after it, the moment he rejected the help from his girlfriend when she tried to pick him up was likely the emotional bottom... More on that later.

—unprescribed anti-depressants found in his room which, as someone else above noted, could cause depression and suicidal thoughts as a side effect.

Aun - Yes in deed, antidepressant medications can and do cause their own set of issues for patients. You are completely right about that and could be at play here. However, I think they are more than just a causative aspect of suicidal thoughts in this case. I think the meds are the holy grail to his case. In that, whomever gave him the meds knows exactly what was bothering him and if this person or doctor can be found, we will know the full story. How long was he taking them? If he had been taking them over an extended period and decided to stop all at once, you can be sure he suffered physically. Seizures are not uncommon. I'll not detail all possibilities I think could implicated with the meds in this post (if interested, please review a few of my earlier posts for that discussion) instead, I will just reiterate at the point where he left his note, he had already endured the disappointment of the DWI and speaking strictly from a statistical point of view. More folks do not commit suicide because they are on antidepressants than do.

I note that in this episode, the detective, when referring to the letter, makes it a point to say that it didn't say either way whether or not he intended to commit suicide. But he adds that Martin felt like a "failure."

Aun - Feeling like a failure is huge and could very well lead to intentional suicide, but I read in one of the posts James Martin was talking about a "big change" coming. I wanted to understand this language a little better as it relates to traditional suicide notes so I dove down the rabbit hole of search engine madness to look up examinations of other suicide letters and came away with the feeling that when someone writes a suicide note they are usually pretty clear on their intentions and, maybe more importantly they don't express suicide in terms of a "change" they express it in terms of finality and mortality. That said, should we place any emphasis on his wording "big change?"

What we do know is that he was being intentionally deceptive, secretive—even elusive—with everyone around him...

Aun - Mental health/drug or alcohol rehab or counseling?

His dad had tried calling him for a few days. Martin was alive and well in those days, but purposefully chose to ignore it.

He intentionally lied about his whereabouts, offering different accounts of his whereabouts, knowing perhaps that the stories could be compared and his lies discovered, but it just seems like he didn't care.

He suddenly, and without warning, withdrew from his main social networks, especially his frat, which to me says he felt like he needed to get away from things he perceived as "bad influences."

Aun - I completely agree this point is important. Perhaps he was getting away from the "Hazing" Perhaps he was being "Hazed" for the "Big Change" The problem with the data set is we just don't know the full scope of where his phone was and at what times. Can we reconcile witness statement with his phone. Without this info, the reasons why he withdrew and did not respond are just speculation. We need this info. Where did he frequent? Was there a certain time he would turn off his tracking and if so, how long would it stay off. Time = distance right? Anyway, the fact that he withdrew seems to me like he was making changes and when someone is making changes they are not without hope.

And lastly, when he left, he took nothing with him (except his state ID, apparently). No phone, no tablet, no wallet, no money. Nothing to say that he'd be gone long. Nothing to help him survive for extended periods of time. Because he knew he didn't want to survive long.

Aun - Don't forget his food was missing. Either a room mate took his food, knowing he wouldn't be back or James Martin took the food. Again, I mentioned what I thought about this in another post so won't double down here except to say I believe it's inconsistent to take food if you didn't expect to need it wherever you were going and no need for ID unless conducting some form of transaction. Some will argue he was suicidal and took his ID to ensure his body was identified, but if this was the case it would make no sense to conduct THAT sort of transaction where he couldn't be found AND likely RULES OUT any lake or river for fear the ID would be damaged to the point of being unrecognizable. Nope, I just don't see it with the data. I see a kid that was figuring things out, bought food for a specific purpose and needed that ID for a reason. I just don't see a suicide here.

Last edited:
He left an ambiguous note that hinted at change and expressed personal failure. Inconclusive for suicide IMO

He didn't dress in foul weather gear- On the day he went missing, the temperature in Boone hit 68 degrees with a low of 44. I am fairly confident, if he planned on taking a long walk into "oblivion" he either expected to do it before the evening rolled around or he would have dressed in something heavier than a windbreaker. I do not think he planned on a trip to the woods else he was completely confident he would be able to do his business quickly.

He didn't take his wallet or his bank/credit cards- Didn't plan on needing a deep reserve of bank funds thus if he was suicidal, his intentions were likely to do it quickly. Conversely, he might have planned on going to a place where he was afraid his wallet was somehow at risk being lost or stolen? In my opinion, this tells me he had a plan, a plan NOT to end up with a lost wallet. No need to worry about a lost wallet if your plan is to commit suicide by nightfall. Especially if you keep your ID. (How do we know he kept his ID, versus having lost his ID?" Is there some statement that suggests he did have it with him? I think its a safe assumption, else, being an important case to the area, someone would have found it by now and reported it or someone would have been caught using it.

He didn't take his electronic gear- Definitely something you might leave behind if your plan was to commit suicide. However, there are plenty of reasons why he wouldn't have taken his phone. Not the least of which, fear of being tracked and located. Look, the fact that he was supposedly so secretive prior to the day he went missing, then supposedly left his gear to be found thus "secrets exposed" while carefully choosing to take his food and ID makes ZERO sense.

It's assumed he took his ID- If he DID take his ID then why? Why would he take it and nothing else? The obvious answer here is the ID could identify his body. However, IMO this is not the case. It doesn't match with the other elements of the case. If he wanted his body identified, then he wouldn't have gone to so much trouble to hide it in a place where it can't be found. Simple as that. What's more, if you take the time to ensure your body is identified by an ID, you certainly wouldn't put your body in a place where the ID could become damaged. Thus, if you believe he brought his ID for body identification then you also have to rule out suicide by water or suicide by fire or suicide in a place where his ID would be stolen by the same folks he was protecting his wallet from. What does that leave? Suicide by cliff jump? Suicide by pills? What? Where? No, this doesn't compute. Suicide just doesn't compute.

He didn't take his ID because he was on a mission to commit suicide. This looks to me like he took his ID for the purpose of using it in a transaction that he planned on using CASH for. Or for a transaction he needed to prove who he was.... Keeping in mind he supposedly brought bags of food along with him, with no foul weather gear... Sounds to me like he was planning on checking into a hotel where he didn't want to be tracked or he was perhaps checking into some sort of inpatient counseling / rehab that didn't provide food during the stay.

It's assumed he took his food- because if he didn't take it, then we have to assume his room mates took it. All of it, because the officer that reported to the apartment stated he did not find the food. Pretty brazen move to take someone's groceries if they expected them to return.

Is it safe to assume he had access to enough cash to buy something that required an ID? I'm not sure where it came from but there is the question of his sexuality and if this is true then perhaps there is a level of secrecy he keeps to maintain appearances of what he believes expected of him. Perhaps his plan was to secretly meet someone in a hotel room. He would need the ID for the hotel room but wouldn't need foul weather gear. Moreover, since he didn't bring a credit card, only a specific class of hotel will let him check in and based on the crime rate in those areas it becomes risky to carry a wallet. Perhaps he decides it best to not risk losing the wallet and other valuables so leaves them behind. Perhaps we can assume he does not take his phone, so as not to be tracked to the hotel. He brings some food so he doesn't have to leave the hotel room during his stay. How long has he gone without the antidepressant meds? Is he experiencing any symptomatic withdrawals yet? Is there anything that could happen to him in that hotel room where his accidental demise would somehow put another persons identity or perceived integrity at risk? Did he meet someone in that room? Did they do something to him in that room and successfully hide his body? Is the reason he so easily cast aside his GF when she showed up previously because he was involved in a different relationship? One that he wished to keep secret?

The location and circumstance could just as easily be a alcohol and drug counseling or rehabilitation center. You need an ID for an inpatient check in but wouldn't want to bring anything else. Either way, the end result is not necessarily suicide and I think there is a mountain of circumstance that would suggest he is not a suicide case and if he was, he would have been found. If I were LE in the area I would look real hard at anyone of stature having recently come into his life. Someone with something to lose if a relationship with this young man is exposed. Possibly even someone who provided him sample packs of antidepressant meds. Such a person would fit both scenarios. An ad-hoc hotel meeting or a rehab type check-in. Either of which might have had cause to hide his body in case of accidental death. You know, the more I think about it. The more I remember the "Disappeared" episode where he was described as having thrown money at his girlfriend, almost in anger at her having driven there to pick him up. That interaction seems more like the interaction of someone who was cornered than someone who should have been humbled by the fact his DUI was discovered. Anger at that moment was way out of character for even the most hardened personality, especially one weighed down by the humbling experience of a DUI. Under normal circumstances you would expect embarrassment and deflection, not anger to someone whom you were once in love with. Why did he resist aid there? Because he had something different to hide and the longer she was there, the more risk it presented for him. Perhaps he was in danger of having his secret exposed, right there at that moment.

Can anyone confirm the case file number for his DUI? Maybe the date the charges were filed?

Questions I would like answers for.

1. When James Martin was picked up for his DWI did intake take inventory of a cell phone? If so, was it Martin's known phone or another. Perhaps 2 separate phones? One belonging to Martin and another belonging to whomever he had been communicating with outside his normal circle of friends?
2. During the police investigation, did they perform triangulation and mapping on Martin's call records for the previous few months with attention towards discovering other phone lines that were hitting the same towers on a regular basis?
3. I have found two separate criminal case numbers from August 2015. Was there just the DWI with 2 case files assigned or was there a second charge within a week of the first?
4. Did Martin receive court appointed or otherwise drug or alcohol treatment at any facility in the area?
5. Martin went shopping before he went missing and carried multiple bags of food into his room but the food was not inventoried by the police. Were local stores queried about the purchases or was it all described anecdotally ? Is there a published list of purchases somewhere? Were follow up interviews conducted with the room mates as to where the food went? If Martin didn't take it, a room mate must have. If Martin did take it, the inventory is relevant.
6. Is there anyone in Martins life from room mate to 3rd cousin twice removed that has access to antidepressants like those found in Martin's belongings? Where they bottled or otherwise packaged like an Rx or were they provider supplied sample packs? Seems to me the meds are the key here.
7. Was a canvas conducted to find "anonymous" type rehabilitation meetings being held in the community on a schedule that coincided with Martin's periodic "dark times" where he was not where he was supposed to be?

Like I've previously said. I just can't see this as a suicide. Was it a walk off? It could be, but if it is, then he has had a tremendous amount of help staying off the radar as long as he has which is a feat that takes considerable resources. Assuming Martin would not be able to work without being found, whomever he left with would theoretically be funding both lives and said relationship would be strong enough to maintain the situation since 2016. Based on the same or similar circumstances as the "walk off", James Martin could very well be a victim of a predator. A predator who successfully stayed anonymous throughout an extended grooming period. I think this scenario is highly predicated on finding a second cell phone, perhaps caught on hotel or restaurant video in the weeks preceding his disappearance?

According to ASU class schedule for 2015 - 2016 the first day of classes began on 8/17/2015. According to Martin's disappeared episode, Martin "ran into trouble on his first night back" Am I right to assume the charges filed on 8/12/2015 (Case Number 9402015CR000721) represent the corresponding DWI case? Or was the DWI from 8/7/2015 (Case Number 9402015CR051060)? Are there two different cases or do both numbers span the same charges? If there is a second case, prior to the DWI what were the circumstances? If there wasn't and I have the wrong case numbers could someone provide the actual date and charges? Thanks.

I just found this UID's NamUS profile -the remains are still not identified. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
The UID also has a thread here at WS. So far no rule outs have been listed at Namus.
NC - NC - Wilkes Co, WhtMale, Green Jacket, in Woods near Mtn View Apts, Wilkesboro, May 2019

edit: A later news article indicated the UID had a plate that may have resulted from a broken jaw. Not sure this entirely rules out a match as this could have happened after Martin's last sighting, but seems less likely MOO.
More learned about remains in Wilkes

Last edited:
Watching the Disappeared episode now. I think this was about his sexuality and what he perceived would be lack of acceptance from his family and friends. And I think he was right, as illustrated by the family’s refusal to release the full letter. Could be wrong but that’s what my gut tells me.

How about check the history of a few of the lesser known or volunteer type drug and alcohol recovery programs in Boone. Maybe his "big change" was to get better. You wouldn't need a bank card and are not allowed computers and phones but WOULD need your ID to check in. One thing leads to another and his abrupt halt of antidepressants, unknown to the facility sponsors, brings about a seizure and at best, he's mentally incapacitated to some degree or at worst, becomes a liability to the facilitators. Wonder if any "treatment" organizations closed up shop around then. Still wonder where his food went? If he took it with him, it would point to a facility that was not traditionally funded and couldn't provide sustenance through the program. Like perhaps one offered by a church. This is of course if his roommates aren't responsible for raiding his food.. knowing he wouldn't be back for it. And of course, let's just point out that fraternity life, antidepressant meds and alcohol are a volatile mixture. I wouldn't shut the door on an accident or death as a result of this combination and the "brother" who might happen to be the one who gave him the pills to begin with engages in a cover up. Polygraph every single one of those fellows, paying special attention to anyone who had access to those types of pills.

Martin may have helped himself to someone’s pills in a medicine cabinet.
I watched this Disappeared episode on ID last night. According to LE, the letter to his parents contained very personal information that would not be released to the public. So sad that Martin didn't reach out to his parents for help.

This case reminds me of Macin Smith's. (They are not related cases - but there must be many similar cases).
It's so sad. I hope both families get answers soon.

I could see that and I agree they are similar in some ways. For some reason, I always think of Bryce Lapsia when I think about this case. He too was attending college, broke up with his girlfriend, was taking unprescribed medications, and told his parents he had something important he needed to talk to them about.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back