GUILTY NC - Jameson 'Jamie' Hahn, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 22 April 201

Borndem....Thanks for all your post and keeping this trial updated. I am still surprised that there wasn't more interest in this trial. Such a tragedy for such a wonderful young couple just starting out life together.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more interest, too. I don't watch much TV, but I am in the Triangle and and had barely heard of this case, and in order to learn anything about the case I had to actively seek out information.

I have been following . . . usually just read and don't post, though. Was surprised and pleased by the speedy verdict today. Prayers for all who love Jamie and whose hearts were broken by this tragic murder.

Welcome, anneg! Glad you posted! There are several North Carolinians here on this thread, and there's always room for a few more!

This is a good day for justice, and a sigh of relief and the end of a chapter, IMO, for sweet Nation and his and Jamie's families.

I have been following . . . usually just read and don't post, though. Was surprised and pleased by the speedy verdict today. Prayers for all who love Jamie and whose hearts were broken by this tragic murder.

I live in Raleigh and have lots of friends whose lives intersect(ed) with Nation and Jamie, some very closely. Somehow, when it's people you know, people you recognize, all of your mutual friends on Facebook, etc., the typical guilty pleasure of following a trial becomes more disturbing...it almost feels invasive and disrespectful. I am relieved at the verdict, for the family especially, but this has been an extremely sad situation for many, many people. Brad Miller was there at the verdict...you could tell it wasn't about campaigns, but a horrific crime that killed a young woman so loved by so many.

Every time a jury does something smart, I feel so relieved. The idea that Broyhill planned suicide and just happened to end up killing Jamie Hahn would be laughable if this case weren't so tragic. It seems like when defense is grasping at straws, and there is someone who clearly killed someone else, the last resort is, "was going to kill self, somehow killed other person." Incredible. Plus, he had plenty of time to deliberate and decide to kill Hahn even if he didn't arrive at their home with his concealed knife with the intention of stabbing anyone but himself. Still, who buys a brand new knife to stab himself? I know the defense had nothing to go on and had to come up with *something*, but the idea that he could be found not guilty still makes me angry even though I know the outcome of the trial.

Borndem....Thanks for all your post and keeping this trial updated. I am still surprised that there wasn't more interest in this trial. Such a tragedy for such a wonderful young couple just starting out life together.

And thanks to you, Lori, for witnessing this trial with us! We were small, but we had faith in the system of jurisprudence that we hold dear, knowing that it's not perfect, but also knowing it's the best that human beings can design.

Awaiting the sentencing for Broyhill's convictions of AWDWWITKISI and Attempted Murder. Judge Paul Ridgeway presiding.

Good Morning, WS'ers!!

ETA:

Local News
Statement by the family of Jamie Kirk Hahn

Posted 6:17 p.m. yesterday
Updated 6:18 p.m. yesterday

Read more at http://www.wral.com/statement-by-the-family-of-jamie-kirk-hahn/14523941/#5tCRIhZ3kRpUOJYR.99

Judge Ridgeway announced that JB has no felony points, will sentence in the Presumptive range:

1st Degree Murder.....................Life Without Parole
Attempted 1st Degree Murder.......157--201 months to run consecutively
AWDWWIKISI...............................73--100 months to run consecutively

Court is adjourned.

Man, this all happened so quickly. I was tied up yesterday and the last thing I saw was the judge starting on the jury instructions. I went about my business and felt that certainly, the matter would still be with the jury this morning. Man, was I wrong. I got the shock of my life when I saw they had a verdict yesterday!!!!!! Oh well. I hope it's on video. I'll have to catch up. I'm sorry I was around here live when it happened.

So relieved at the jury's verdict. I was surprised the jury came back as quickly as they did. I figured it might be 3-4 hours, but I'm so glad Nation and Jamie's family and friends didn't have to wait long.

I thought the victim impact statements were very powerful. I appreciated the lack of vengefulness and the focus on the spirit of Jamie.

I'm watching the victim impact statements now. Wow, so articulate and powerful. Her stepmother's, in particular, was gorgeously written. I can't imagine being able to be so eloquent in that situation.

You know JB had a pattern of using illnesses/pity to get attention and avoid accountability...the more I think about his failed "suicide" attempt I am more and more inclined to think it was another act to gain sympathy. As far as JB knew....Jamie and Nation had managed to run out of the house... heck, he may have even thought Jamie was going to live, therefore, if he tried to commit suicide, I think he was thinking they would forgive poor pitiful JB. Tried to put himself as a victim of that horrific night too. I just think it was all another attention seeking behavior and he never planned on dying that night.
As far as the victim impact statements, I am so glad they have had so much love and support through the last years.

You know JB had a pattern of using illnesses/pity to get attention and avoid accountability...the more I think about his failed "suicide" attempt I am more and more inclined to think it was another act to gain sympathy. As far as JB knew....Jamie and Nation had managed to run out of the house... heck, he may have even thought Jamie was going to live, therefore, if he tried to commit suicide, I think he was thinking they would forgive poor pitiful JB. Tried to put himself as a victim of that horrific night too. I just think it was all another attention seeking behavior and he never planned on dying that night.
As far as the victim impact statements, I am so glad they have had so much love and support through the last years.

I totally agree. He clearly has borderline (and probably antisocial) personality disorder in addition to whatever Axis I things he has going on.

So relieved at the jury's verdict. I was surprised the jury came back as quickly as they did. I figured it might be 3-4 hours, but I'm so glad Nation and Jamie's family and friends didn't have to wait long.

I thought the victim impact statements were very powerful. I appreciated the lack of vengefulness and the focus on the spirit of Jamie.

Each of the statements was so eloquent and heartfelt -- so different one from the other. Each one made me sorry that I never got to meet Jamie. I knew folks who knew her -- from my fits & starts during campaign times -- but I was not fortunate enuff to run into her. She must have really been so very special -- we lose too many like that, oh, too many. And there's little Nation, still wearing his wedding ring, on his right hand, of course, because JB ruined even that part of his life -- somehow poignantly. What a few weeks Nation has had with all the horrible moments coming back, having to go through it detail by detail and the slow torture of cross exam, as well as having to share the room with his beloved wife's killer. He did get a couple of polite licks in at the man whom he once regarded with such love and friendship; and he had a couple of polite jabs the defense attorney. I hope Nation gets a good night's sleep tonight -- probably hugging a pillow.

But the blind Lady of Justice did look down on Nation and his loved ones today with Jamie showing the way.

The United States has its problems, but yesterday and today made me very proud.

Thanks for the company, fellow justice seekers. But it still hurts, doesn't it...

bbm

Yes, indeed, Lori -- I agree, as would most of us, I feel sure. Further, if he really intended to kill himself, he would have slit his throat -- go for that jugular and let it happen -- 5 minutes or so. Quick,

He still had those travel plans pending... His plan may have been to kill them both and to possibly try to tell the LEO's, when he returned if he ever did, that he went by, visited, all was fine & he went on his trip -- he would have had to account for his car being in front of their house for an hour or so... Dispose of the knife, pack a bag, and get on the train, whatever, and sit back & smile while he was in Vegas -- using Brad Miller's money one more time. All his troubles would be lost in a sip or two of good Vegas wine and some surf & turf...

This case is one of those times you wonder why terrible things happen to such wonderful people. It just isn't fair. I'm not sure how you can go on with life when your family is dealt such a horrible blow out of no where and for no reason. It boggles the mind. We see that Jamie's family will move on and it's due to the love and respect they have for her and her memory. It was a blessing to see them speak with such grace and civility. I was weeping during most of the impact statements.

I covet each and every post made by you guys and enjoy reading the different opinions and viewpoints. i have followed several cases on WS and although this case had very few participants on WS, all of you were so genuine and caring. I think early on, I realized just how special an individual Jamie Hahn was and i had a real yearning to learn more about her. I also was totally entrapped by the mere idea that a close "friend" like JB could ever resort to such actions. How could something this bad happen to such wonderful, loving people? Jamie and Nation were so trusting, selfless and all about helping those that were in need, mostly JB. They were blindsided until the bitter end. But as Nation put it, JB might have ended Jamie's life but he can't kill her spirit. Thanks to each of you for sharing your thoughts.

I second those sentiments, Gorealtors. This tragedy will never make sense, but I am relieved that there is justice for Jamie.

If anyone would like to do something to honor Jamie's memory , please consider donating or volunteering for the Jamie Kirk Hahn foundation. The foundation does wonderful work in the community. I would imagine that it also has given Nation and Jamie's family some sense of purpose in the midst of this devastating loss. I hope some of you will consider attending an event or making a small donation if you're able.

http://www.jamiekirkhahnfoundation.org/

A sweet article -- hankie material:

Nation Hahn: The world is still 'essentially good'

Posted 4:35 p.m. today
Updated 6:47 p.m. today

"The most surprising, and uplifting, lesson of the past two years has actually been that the world is still essentially good," Hahn wrote Friday in a blog post, in which he talked about the love and kindness he and his family have received in the wake of Jamie Kirk Hahn's death.

Read more at http://www.wral.com/nation-hahn-the-world-is-still-essentially-good-/14528651/#Xe5xHUkQwYIpSik6.99

From my experience at Duke Hospital -- I had cataract surgery and lens implants (they are wonderful, BTW!) on both eyes, one at a time, several years ago at the Duke Eye Center. I went for pre- and post-procedure exams for about a year. Never, never was my car or myself exempt from parking fees in the Duke parking areas.That's just how Duke operates. Or did then & I'm betting it hasn't changed.

Good Morning, dear Peeps!

ETA:
Re the charge for Nation's injuries: IIRC, I think Nation testified that when he came downstairs, after seeing JB standing over Jamie bending over her with the knife, Nation said something like, "Then he turned and came after me." If that is what he said, then that would sound pretty life-threatening to me.

Yes, I've never had parking validated at Duke or UNC. The other thing that doesn't make sense to me about him getting away with the medical stuff is that anytime you have surgery or any kind of sedation, an adult HAS to sign you out of the hospital or outpatient clinic. You can't just walk out. It doesn't really matter now, but I just wonder how he pulled all that off for so long?

On another subject, I laughed out loud when I read the quote from the defense attorney that he couldn't put his client on the stand because he's a pathological liar. I wish someone could make him explain.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back