GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #10

I really don't believe that they were terribly attached to the children at all. I think that they were attached to the fact that he was looking after Molly and that responsibility was going to be returned to them.

I think Molly's mother was very attached to the children, but that (like Molly) it was a kind of possessive, entitled attachment. Interesting point above from Logic-Lady, that TM was dressed but Molly was in pyjamas, and I think you are spot on about why Jason's passport was out. I don't think there is any way that TM would have gone along with this kind of plan to kill JC - if he had, it would have been colder and more choreographed. Molly's frenzied rage was their undoing, so she had to have been alone with a sleepy groggy Jason to have been so out of control and not stopped.
TM had absolute contempt for Jason, just as he had contempt for the previous fiance. Look at how he expected that young man on a low wage and poor health to pay all the rent on a property TM owned, where Molly was living. Molly didn't have to pay, someone had to support her! And while TM took that man's money he had contempt for him.
But I don't think his contempt actually gave him a motive to kill Jason. He didn't seem to pay much attention to Molly as an individual. He wanted someone to look after Molly, but from TM's point of view, that was Molly's problem, just as it had been before - she would need to find someone else to look after her if Jason left her. Killing Jason didn't achieve anything from TM's perspective, as I don't think he was so connected to the children. Once Jason was killed though, TM was very invested in protecting Molly for his own sake - he didn't want to tarnish the family reputation, he didn't want to answer any questions about how he and his wife did nothing while Jason was killed. And he had such contempt for Jason, he easily felt that Jason deserved to die, simply for being an inconvenience.

JC was not taking the kids that very minute..
I'm still really shocked that this case was not prosecuted as a Federal case and with the death penalty on the table.
we have elements of interstate commerce- a car driven from outside the state, we also have use of a mobile phone, another element in interstate commerce.
I think she had been drugging him for quite some time, not just the night she killed him.
In the state of NC evidence of dv will get the woman custody... she wanted much more than custody though..
No idea when the plan was hatched, but hatched it was and executed it was too, almost to perfection.
Real life is not like that.
Molly's hasty message to her former boyfriend and its tone was really creepy, particularly after such a long spate of time...he had effectively smashed her alibi for the person she wanted to portray.. 'you know how much I loved children'..did she really?

the arrogance and total lack of remorse is almost as deadly as the murder they felt 'entitled' to commit.
Her prison breach (es) suggest she is held in a holiday camp more than in a prison.
Expensive lawyering can do that..
Its time for them to pay up now, return what they took and pay their bills, not run up more bills that they believe will take precedence on what they already owe.
They don't see it though.

I think Molly's mother was very attached to the children, but that (like Molly) it was a kind of possessive, entitled attachment. Interesting point above from Logic-Lady, that TM was dressed but Molly was in pyjamas, and I think you are spot on about why Jason's passport was out. I don't think there is any way that TM would have gone along with this kind of plan to kill JC - if he had, it would have been colder and more choreographed. Molly's frenzied rage was their undoing, so she had to have been alone with a sleepy groggy Jason to have been so out of control and not stopped.
TM had absolute contempt for Jason, just as he had contempt for the previous fiance. Look at how he expected that young man on a low wage and poor health to pay all the rent on a property TM owned, where Molly was living. Molly didn't have to pay, someone had to support her! And while TM took that man's money he had contempt for him.
But I don't think his contempt actually gave him a motive to kill Jason. He didn't seem to pay much attention to Molly as an individual. He wanted someone to look after Molly, but from TM's point of view, that was Molly's problem, just as it had been before - she would need to find someone else to look after her if Jason left her. Killing Jason didn't achieve anything from TM's perspective, as I don't think he was so connected to the children. Once Jason was killed though, TM was very invested in protecting Molly for his own sake - he didn't want to tarnish the family reputation, he didn't want to answer any questions about how he and his wife did nothing while Jason was killed. And he had such contempt for Jason, he easily felt that Jason deserved to die, simply for being an inconvenience.

Some very compelling thoughts here.

I used to ask myself in the Jon Benet Case...who did Patsy love enough to cover for in this heinous murder of her little girl. I never thought it was her husband. But her only surviving son? That was a strong possibility.

Sometimes I look at this case and ask myself...who did TM love so much that he’d go to jail to shield? Who does Uncle Mike love so much that he’d involve himself in this horror show to such a ridiculous extent? Why is Uncle Mike so insistent that TM is such a honorable hero?

Just idle pondering, of course...

Some very compelling thoughts here.

I used to ask myself in the Jon Benet Case...who did Patsy love enough to cover for in this heinous murder of her little girl. I never thought it was her husband. But her only surviving son? That was a strong possibility.

Sometimes I look at this case and ask myself...who did TM love so much that he’d go to jail to shield? Who does Uncle Mike love so much that he’d involve himself in this horror show to such a ridiculous extent? Why is Uncle Mike so insistent that TM is such a honorable hero?

Just idle pondering, of course...

My answer to your questions is "themselves." It's not a very satisfactory answer considering the circumstances, but I think image is everything for these men and they seriously miscalculated how badly Molly had injured Jason. So they defended her for bopping someone on the head - his own fault he wasn't man enough to stand up to a girl hitting him with a little art project - and never dreamed it would escalate this far.
If Molly had just hit Jason once, TM's version of events would have been slightly more believable from a legal perspective, although thankfully there was no way she would ever have got custody of the children.
If TM had been further away from the crime scene, I think he would have left Molly to face the consequences alone, just as he left her to struggle with bipolar alone. I really don't believe that he would have fought for her if it wasn't a case of fighting for himself.
And look how his family have learned from him. Those photos of Molly storming ahead out of court rather than walking alongside her parents who were supporting her in a murder trial. Now the news that there is money for Sharon's defense in the civil suit, money for Molly's defense, but none for Tom. You reap what you sow.

Looking at motive means and opportunity - I believe in this case that:

MM knew the game was up and that JC and the children were returning to Ireland without her. MM had attempted and failed to stop this happening. After arguing with JC - She had rang her father and had worked on his animosity towards JC by telling them what JC planned to do and that he was abusing her etc etc.

Her father had already made evident his hatred towards his son in law and this hatred was further stoked that day by MMs multiple telephone calls. By the time TM had arrived he was in an aggressive state of mind in relation to JC leaving his daughter and taking his children with him. TM comes across as a person very concerned with outward appearances and I believe he was not prepared to leave JC walk away from his obligations towards MM (as he saw it) and also TMs and family consequent loss of face. It is also possible that MM had planned to take the children and leave with them and her parents later that night. JC would have to be removed from the scene for that to happen imo.

I believe there is a possibility that at least the brick had been placed in position prior to the attack. JC was also drugged in an effort to give MM an upperhand in what she had planned.

I have always had an issue with regard to the vacuum cleaner and it's position relative to the door. I would speculate perhaps that after JC had awoken and went to the kitchen sometime that night - that MM used the flex of the vacuum cleaner to trip JC as he returned from the kitchen in the dark. Once down MM struck with the brick. It is of note that MM would have relatively good upper body strenght as a regular swimmer. Looking at the size of her hands I believe she could quite easily used the brick to attack JC around the back of the head, incapacitating him fairly quickly.

The blood spatter evidence would appear to support the fact that both TM and MM at some point were above JC whilst the attack was being perpetuated. (I believe that TM later used the baseball bat - an object with which he was familiar with and comfortable using)

It is at this point - I believe that TM appears on the scene either through hearing noise (unlikely imo) or perhaps because MM had screamed / shouted down that she was being attacked etc. I believe that JC briefly regained his footing and moved towards the bathroom in an attempt to flee from his attacker. TM then arrives on the scene and closes the door after him in an effort to stop a bloody and disoriented JC attempting to leave and the second deadly part of the attack is perputated by them both.

A particularly gruesome aspect of the attack was the overkill employed in the murder. I believe that TM finished the job that MM had started either in rage and / or in attempt to provide the alibi that the murder of JC was in self defence. (He may even have believed the lie that JC was attacking his little princess). His latter statement that he felt "rightnous" after the murder indicated that he "believed" that the murder of JC was in his mind morally excusable.

The end result was that the murder left no witness to say otherwise. SM would have been fully aware of what was going on imo but as to her actual role I am cannot speculate.

Once MM et al knew that JC was dead - a partial clean up ensued and the emergency services contacted, knowing full well that by the time they got there there would have been no chance of resuscitation etc.

I do believe justice was done. My thoughts remain with JCs family and children.

Looking at motive means and opportunity - I believe in this case that:

MM knew the game was up and that JC and the children were returning to Ireland without her. MM had attempted and failed to stop this happening. After arguing with JC - She had rang her father and had worked on his animosity towards JC by telling them what JC planned to do and that he was abusing her etc etc.

Her father had already made evident his hatred towards his son in law and this hatred was further stoked that day by MMs multiple telephone calls. By the time TM had arrived he was in an aggressive state of mind in relation to JC leaving his daughter and taking his children with him. TM comes across as a person very concerned with outward appearances and I believe he was not prepared to leave JC walk away from his obligations towards MM (as he saw it) and also TMs and family consequent loss of face. It is also possible that MM had planned to take the children and leave with them and her parents later that night. JC would have to be removed from the scene for that to happen imo.

I believe there is a possibility that at least the brick had been placed in position prior to the attack. JC was also drugged in an effort to give MM an upperhand in what she had planned.

I have always had an issue with regard to the vacuum cleaner and it's position relative to the door. I would speculate perhaps that after JC had awoken and went to the kitchen sometime that night - that MM used the flex of the vacuum cleaner to trip JC as he returned from the kitchen in the dark. Once down MM struck with the brick. It is of note that MM would have relatively good upper body strenght as a regular swimmer. Looking at the size of her hands I believe she could quite easily used the brick to attack JC around the back of the head, incapacitating him fairly quickly.

The blood spatter evidence would appear to support the fact that both TM and MM at some point were above JC whilst the attack was being perpetuated. (I believe that TM later used the baseball bat - an object with which he was familiar with and comfortable using)

It is at this point - I believe that TM appears on the scene either through hearing noise (unlikely imo) or perhaps because MM had screamed / shouted down that she was being attacked etc. I believe that JC briefly regained his footing and moved towards the bathroom in an attempt to flee from his attacker. TM then arrives on the scene and closes the door after him in an effort to stop a bloody and disoriented JC attempting to leave and the second deadly part of the attack is perputated by them both.

A particularly gruesome aspect of the attack was the overkill employed in the murder. I believe that TM finished the job that MM had started either in rage and / or in attempt to provide the alibi that the murder of JC was in self defence. (He may even have believed the lie that JC was attacking his little princess). His latter statement that he felt "rightnous" after the murder indicated that he "believed" that the murder of JC was in his mind morally excusable.

The end result was that the murder left no witness to say otherwise. SM would have been fully aware of what was going on imo but as to her actual role I am cannot speculate.

Once MM et al knew that JC was dead - a partial clean up ensued and the emergency services contacted, knowing full well that by the time they got there there would have been no chance of resuscitation etc.

I do believe justice was done. My thoughts remain with JCs family and children.

brilliant theory on the hoover i could never figure why it was in there and i dont recall any reason given for it been moved by the defence

just my opinions only

Ok - I get that but what 'house' or other insurance is MM relying on to cover further trial costs? She is apparently without financial means if the news reports are accurate.

The lawyer provided by insurance company was for Tom Martens only, not Molly Martens Corbett. Tom trying to save the home(s) he owned from civil judgment. Sharon and Molly have their own attorneys it seems, though Molly doesn't have any known property.

No, Civil Legal Aid only helps low income people in cases unrelated to criminal-related cases but will for cases involving access to basic necessities such as healthcare, housing, government benefits, employment and education. Molly will probably at some point have to settle case agreeing to hand over any future earnings, inheritances, etc. or Lynch will get Summary Judgment against her for same.

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim on a Monday morning, but where does it say that the legal challenge will be heard in court? I can see they have submitted affadavits to Judge Lee requesting that the judgement be set aside and they receive a new trial outside of Davidson County but I don't see where he has granted that motion? (As in I don't think the judgement of this motion needs to go to court?)

Everything else relates to the appeal and the civil case being on hold until a decision is made...have I got that wrong? Has Judge Lee made a decision regarding the dismissal?

Judge Lee held what's called Evidentiary Hearing on the Defense appeal over Jury misconduct, which is not public hearing, but judge, DA and Defense lawyers, with court stenographer, He denied Defense motion to set aside jury verdict stating no jury misconduct so verdict stands, so now Martens only avenue is regular appeals process which is very very long shot and many years. They'd have to find new actual evidence that shows they're innocent. Here's article regarding Judge Lee ruling:

http://www.journalnow.com/news/crim...cle_2343a72c-6196-565a-8505-39bb0789a481.html

I believe MM knew JC was returning to Ireland with his kids. I believe MM called her parents in a panic andher parents felt the need to drive east to help settle her. I am not sure if MM attempted to sedate JC with pills. Jason was fed up with the awkward night and just went to bed. I think the parents attempted to calm MM with little success. The parents go to basement and share concerned pillow talk. I think MM was in such a rage she went for the paver. She wanted the first blow to be hard and severe. Had a bat struck the initial blow I feel the paver would never have been introduced. Tom incorporated the bat later after JC already lay murdered. I have never felt SM or TM helped preplan a murder. The parents lifetime goal has been to get MM through the latest crisis on the backend. I personally think many fathers would step up and take the fall after their daughter had just committed murder...especially if the parents bought in to any of MM abuse claims and if you are a lawyer and former LE. I believe SM was in that bedroom the entire time TM was in the bedroom and helped strategize a defense story then returned to basement to play the part of meek wife of big strong FBI protective man/father. Had TM entered during a physical struggle or even if JC was struggling for life on the floor, TM could have possibly/probably saved JC life and maybe MM charged w attempted murder or AG Assault. I really found it insulting that the Martens probably felt after leaving their police interrogations that their story was strong enough that they would be thinking as a trio "we barely escaped that one, let's lay low and keep our mouths shut". But no, they then go and do the grab grub and MM makes social pleas on FB. Their arrogance ensures they both complete their sentences. SM needs to lose every asset she owns or will own in retirement and be forced to move in with one of her children w/o one penny

I doubt TM even went to bed that night.

He was photographed fully clothed, even had time to put his watch on. If you wake up to the sound of your daughter screaming for help, like they tried to claim, would you first change out of your pjs, put ordinary clothes on and even take the time to put your belt, shoes and watch on?

After all, Molly was photographed still in her pyjamas. TM wasn't. That either implies he bothered to get changed after (and if so, why didn't she do the same?), or never did go to sleep that night before the murder.

There is so much cognative dissonance. It's mental gymnastics. The morals and rules that a person like Tom would normally apply to their lives and the people around them, thrown out because of one particular person that everyone must bend over backwards for, because in MM's world, it's normal for her to get her own way and that delusion must be maintained at all costs.

We can only continue to speculate, if it was purely MM having an episode and her parents enabling her as usual. But their expectations, that this would all blow over and everything would carry on as normal, blew up at them instead. A bubble burst.

But I still wonder how deeply involved he (and SM) really were. If he was simply attempting to take the fall after having a couple of swings at JC too, or if they at some point realised MM's half-baked plans and instead of doing something to stop her, the cog-dis kicked in and they thought it'd be a nice thing for MM to get rid of JC so she could have his children and his cash.

I think TM being dressed was probably due to being in shock at what happened, and then needing to fill some time while he thought through what to do next. Assume Molly assaulted Jason and the parents didn't hear anything. Then Molly would run to tell her parents what happened - the mother would go with her (it's not like Jason is a danger) while the father gets dressed first. At this point, he's not thinking two steps ahead - what will the police etc think if I've had time to get dressed while a man is dying upstairs. He's thinking in a more abstract instinctive way - if he has to face a difficult situation, he wants to feel like himself, in command... which is hard to achieve when you are in your pyjamas surrounded by people in uniform.
Also, I don't think Molly would have suggested to her parents that JC was abusive until after he was dead. They wanted the kids, they wanted financial security for Molly and they wanted Jason gone. If Molly had given them enough ammunition, I have no doubt they would have used it to annihilate Jason while he was alive. False accusations, smoke screens, false outrage... if they can make up lies about prison guards forcing Molly to dye her hair, imagine what they would have said about Jason. So I don't believe she said anything to them about this until they concocted the story together after Jason was dead.

I doubt TM even went to bed that night.

He was photographed fully clothed, even had time to put his watch on. If you wake up to the sound of your daughter screaming for help, like they tried to claim, would you first change out of your pjs, put ordinary clothes on and even take the time to put your belt, shoes and watch on? ...

I think TM being dressed was probably due to being in shock at what happened, and then needing to fill some time while he thought through what to do next...

The trial evidence indicates that TM was wearing boxer shorts (ie underwear) with blood spaters being found on the hem of inside leg of the boxers - indicating that he was standing above JC when at at least some of the blows were made by him.

It was detailed that he was later allowed by the police to get dressed and that is when he put on the shorts with belt etc.

So it would appear that he went to bed in his underwear and was permitted to get dressed after the murder afaik.

The trial evidence indicates that TM was wearing boxer shorts (ie underwear) with blood spaters being found on the hem of inside leg of the boxers - indicating that he was standing above JC when at at least some of the blows were made by him.

It was detailed that he was later allowed by the police to get dressed and that is when he put on the shorts with belt etc.

So it would appear that he went to bed in his underwear and was permitted to get dressed after the murder afaik.

Crime Watch Daily have just aired a program on this case and included more of the police interviews. It shows pictures of his original boxer shorts. It is split into three parts on their FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/crimewatch...I-oJhXc-dIx2w2UNcV2kwqrCStg0f7KU6JnY4&fref=nf

I keep remembering that TM never visited his daughter in the four years she lived in Ireland. In Maginn’s book, TM seems mainly interested in collecting rent, not in his daughter’s medical problems. To use a common phrase in the States, he was just not that into her.

Did he love MM enough to die in prison for her...or even take the chance?

Why does Uncle Mike keep calling him a hero?

Who do they love and what does that tell us,if anything??

The fundraising campaign for the legal bills of MM and TM has been shut down.

Just checked now and the page is up

You are correct. How strange. But twice today it said it had been closed by ME? Maybe she has hope again. But lies are being revealed. Everything the M family has will eventually go to the C family and the children they orphaned.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back