GUILTY NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #6

I don't want to bring focus to this, but I have to ask. Did I imagine it or did I hear that MW is now living at back at home with a drug addiction problem?

Yes, they said she is at home, and yes, a "prescription medicine" (IIRC) problem.

Hizzoner is losing his voice. I knew it would happen... It's gonna be just a squeak in a few more mitigating factors.

Mercy, it will take them 2 weeks to fill out all these damn forms!

I caved and put on my favorite, and only, daytime program, 'Judging Amy'.

seattle, yes, finally! The jury is deliberating.

Q for the group here: what happens if the jury cannot reach a unanimous verdict?

are they done? ABC link is broken and my computer does not like wral

Coffee-san,

My link (given nearly every morning on here) is how I get to WRAL thru Mozilla/Firefox -- maybe that's your problem???

I guess you've tried www.wral.com ??

:waitasec:

Jurors are deliberating. There won't be any video/audio until or unless the judge needs to talk to them (break, release for the day, etc). When the jury has decided the sentence then WRAL will start the video.

If the jurors cannot decide unanimously then the default is LWOP, which the judge will give.

are they done? ABC link is broken and my computer does not like wral

There's no in-stream link w/the usual live-trial announcement on WRAL, as is the case when it is ongoing, so I guess verdict watch is either not going to be streamed, or we will possibly get an alert when there is a verdict -- ya got me, Sanka-Not.

And, as I have said before, my dad was an alcoholic, and everything you have said about the sickness that it is, not being a choice, is correct. The choice lies in that first drink after knowing you have that sickness. "Make a call, not a cocktail," was my thought, although I stopped drinking before I knew whether I had that sickness. Again, why take a chance? If you can't swim, don't jump in a lake that is 50-feet deep.

And Bravo! to you.

Experience is the only true authority when it comes to alcoholism, as well as, I'm sure, any other true addiction. And that's my child-of-an-alcoholic experience, coupled with long talks with my sober dad.

Stay strong, you wonderful woman, and one-day-at-a-time serenity, courage and wisdom to you.
icon12.gif

seattle, yes, finally! The jury is deliberating.

Q for the group here: what happens if the jury cannot reach a unanimous verdict?

The judge will declare LWOP by default, so to speak. Case closed.

Two choices here, and one failed -- DP must be unanimous.

I caved and put on my favorite, and only, daytime program, 'Judging Amy'.

LOL...yeah. ALOTTA Talk, like I said. Mitigating circumstances. The judge has to explain everything, but in explaining everything - it all sounds like mush after a while.

I just listened to David Saacks' closing again. Really one of the best and he's a great orator. Had I been in the gallery I would have wanted to give him a standing ovation.

I saw a little of the closings for sentencing, but forgot to notice. Was Kathy's family there?
I just wonder how the state feels asking for the DP if Kathy's family is against it. Just curious.

Yes Kathy's family was there. Looked like all 4 of her children were there in the first row, with additional family behind them.

We don't know if Kathy's family is against the DP or not. Okay we now know the daughters at least are for it and think it's warranted in this case. For their sake I hope they get it. The state obviously feels okay going for it since they did just that, and since the crime and charges meet the burden for them trying to get the DP.

I just listened to David Saacks' closing again. Really one of the best and he's a great orator. Had I been in the gallery I would have wanted to give him a standing ovation.

Oh I long for the likes of Gregory Peck. :fence:

Years & YEARS ago, IIRC it was in NYC??? There was an attorney I saw on a Court TV case. He was so good! Sounded a bit British, he wasn't, but he had a regal accent and way of orating. Hope that's a word. Does anyone remember of whom I'm speaking?

No idea who that is/was.

Gregory Peck was just an actor--a good actor, but still an actor.

David Saacks is the real deal! And best of all, he's alive! :)

I saw a little of the closings for sentencing, but forgot to notice. Was Kathy's family there?
I just wonder how the state feels asking for the DP if Kathy's family is against it. Just curious.

Yes, Prance, it looked like a pretty large Kathy contingent. Her color was yellow -- she had mentioned seeing those little yellow (moth-sized) butterflies as one of her favorite things, so the family/friends had agreed to wear the yellow color as often as they could at trial. Again, I had hoped to see someone I thought might be DH, but no luck, as best as I could tell -- if she were there, she might have been at the back of the courtroom anyway. We all have our demons, and this trial has probably got her really on edge -- for no good reason, IMO, but I'm thinking she is still carrying an undue but heavy load.

IMO, the DA/ADA's office probably never asked the family for their opinion on the DP -- I'm sure they informed them, but this near-mandate, IMHO, was not to be abandoned in this case. Period.

Oh I long for the likes of Gregory Peck. :fence:

Years & YEARS ago, IIRC it was in NYC??? There was an attorney I saw on a Court TV case. He was so good! Sounded a bit British, he wasn't, but he had a regal accent and way of orating. Hope that's a word. Does anyone remember of whom I'm speaking?

Oh my, Gregory Peck. My forever and ever first love.
I'm sorry Glee, I don't know the other fellow you mentioned. But I can tell you about my fantasies and Gregory Peck's beautiful lower lip :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back