GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think, and I hope, with this crime being so gruesome, that these jurors are taking it serious enough to spend more than an hour dismissing the primary charge... I think they are just going through the process of making sure everyone understands what the charge is...

The jurors (SurfieTX posted this earlier)

Juror No. 1: White female. Exercises with a family law attorney. Parents got divorced when she lived in the Bahamas when she was 5.....and her mother lived in Scotland. She went to boarding school in England when she was 11. At 16 she moved to NC.

Juror No. 2: White male. Worked at a store Grant visited after the murder.

Juror No. 3: White male. Bruins fan. Was a snowmobile racer in the past.

Juror No. 4: Black female.

Juror No. 5: White female.

Juror No. 6: White male. Redskins and Hurricane fan.

Juror No. 7: White female, worked for state attorney general's office; however, J#7 said she can be unbiased. UNCW accounting grad, now works with children at YMCA. Parents divorced when she was 4. She lived with mom, her brother lived with mom. "Caught blurb on TV about" Ackerson murder; didn't know Grant Hayes was convicted. Watches ABC-11 in the morning; for weather and traffic. "I hear about murders, but I'm just trying to get ready for work" Mother is a construction lawyer; J#7: "I could hear her talking about it when I was little, but it was boring." (Prior juror defense peremptory challenge).

Juror No. 8: White female. Oncology nurse attached to Rex Hospital. Asked if she's ever met a pathological liar; she answers yes, husband of former coworker who served in Afghanistan. Testifies that friend who was married to pathological liar had 2 wives at the same time; "he was very charismatic ..." "He was just a homeboy from Tennessee." Juror No. 8 says friend's ex-husband concealed second marriage for 14 years. When she was younger, Juror No. 8 was a paralegal specializing in medical cases in Charleston, S.C

Juror No. 9: Latino female who is a paralegal who helps those with immigration issues. Doesn't "really look at news sites or TV." She looks at Internet daily on her Yahoo email page, doesn't watch TV crime dramas (Second juror excused. First juror excused defense peremptory challenge)

Juror No. 10: White female. Has NO knowledge of Grant or Amanda Hayes, Grant's trial or anything related to Laura Ackerson's death. Sister is a probation officer in Wake County; has one friend who is member of Raleigh PD, friend who quit RPD in 2010. Peace College graduate, has been married for 4 months; husband has been Raleigh firefighter for 12 years. Birth father gave up custody of her and her brother after divorce; her stepfather formally adopted them. Doesn't have cable TV; she predominately watches Netflix for entertainment. Ex-husband cheated on her and stole money from their joint bank accounts (Dismissed a third time Dismissed by the Judge. First juror dismissed defense peremptory challenge).

Juror No. 11: Black female. Admits she is a fan of "Murder She Wrote." Says she enjoys "Murder She Wrote" because she likes mysteries; says she can keep open mind in this trial. Read stories about Grant's case but mis-remembered some of the details. Divorced because her ex-husband had an affair for indeterminate time.

Juror No. 12: Middle-aged white female. She has two children - 17 y/o who lives with her, 14 y/o who lives with child's father Bachelors degree in psychology: however, "I must've missed the day we talked about sociopaths." She was threatened by anonymous female caller from a blocked number a few years ago; filed police report but suspect never found. (State dismissed with peremptory challenge first no. 12)

no no no......actively assisting each other.....noooo

Even if one or the other was in the other room taking care of the kids...I count that as actively assisting. So either way, it's still Murder 1. They were actively assisting by HELPING the other carry out the murder by keeping possible complications to the carrying out of the crime out of the way. Wouldn't it be like two people kill someone, by one person stabbing them and the other keeping a lookout?

What happened after judge started saying 'Lemme know when you all...' wral froze and then stopped the player at that point.

Still catching up while following recent developments here. Boz hit one out of the ballpark!

Skip this if you've heard enough about the dismemberment.

One of the most idiotic things I heard from Gaskins (IMHO) is when he explained why Grant's clothes in the dumpster and the goggles were "clean." He said he took Laura's body somewhere (right) and cut her neck so she would bleed out... therefore no blood during the dismemberment.

1. If Laura were dead, there would not be any bleeding due to no circulation, unless he hung her upside down the way they do with Kosher chickens.

2. There are other substances that would have flown all over the place when using the skill saw.

Now, on to Becky!

What happened after judge started saying 'Lemme know when you all...' wral froze and then stopped the player at that point.

He just asked when they wanted to end for the day, they said they were ready now.

Even if one or the other was in the other room taking care of the kids...I count that as actively assisting. So either way, it's still Murder 1. They were actively assisting by HELPING the other carry out the murder by keeping possible complications to the carrying out of the crime out of the way. Wouldn't it be like two people kill someone, by one person stabbing them and the other keeping a lookout?

Right, but you could take that one step further, She was in the other room taking care of the kids and not know what was going on outside the closed bedroom door. Reasonable doubt....just sayin.

IIRC, in Grant's case the jury had no such questions. Personally, I think it should be just as obvious for Amanda's case, but I understand that the jury wants to be thorough.

I think they are thinking that for one of them to have killed her, the other would have been in the other room making sure the kids didn't come out. And that this would make them "less" guilty of the murder?

However, first of all we don't know who was where. But yes, it's more likely that Amanda would be with the kids than Grant. However, it is very probably that she could have stuck in a movie for the kids to watch, locked their door, helped Grant with the ambush and killing, helped drag her to the bathroom, then gone back and checked on the kids. Made sure they were ok, then come back out. Repeat, repeat.

Amanda Hayes Murder Trial, Day 14, Monday, Feb. 17, 2014:

Defense closing (Johnnie Gaskins) part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNxMBgYTLPg

Defense closing (Johnnie Gaskings) part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Ehss4hWIU

States closing (Boz Zellinger) part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiySR2RB9XE

States closing (Becky Holt) part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TKk82ss6GQ

Judge Stephens reads jury instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIO0Ra65MvU

Jury question #1, request for diagram of apt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQLoui5NzkA

Jury question #2, what is the definition of the phrase "each is present"?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi_eiZ4XebU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500