NC NC - Madalina Cojocari, 11, reported Missing Dec 2022 three Weeks After Last Seen, Cornelius, *Parents Arrested* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe I missed it, but they have not given the exact date DC was seen in NC right?
That is correct. There has been no reporting on the date DC was sighted in Madison County. I'd love to know when she took that trip.
ETA: I think the cell phone data LE retrieves will provide vital information on this.

@SpicyFruit @Chelly

Local news station:

"A neighbor posted on the Madison County Sheriff’s Facebook page, “If the car is ‘seafoam green’ in color, then I was beside it at stoplights on 25/70 in Weaverville (CVS) headed north on Nov. 22.”

<modsnip - info from social media>

Last edited by a moderator:
TIMELINE UPDATES in RED
(I stepped a way for a few days for the holidays; please @ me with links if I missed anything!)

M = Madalina Cojocari, 11-year-old missing from home at 18413 Victoria Bay Rd, Cornelius, NC
SDadCP = stepfather Christopher Palmiter
MomDC = mother Diana Cojocari; extended family are “well-known and well-connected musicians in Moldova” [25]; father is a teacher and mother an accountant [31]

----------------------------------------

~2011
M is born

MomDC participates in Eastern European weight loss TV show; gets engaged during filming to SDadCP, whom she did not know prior [27]

JUL 8, 2020
MomDC posts FB video with comment "Is something wrong of being violent?" - VIDEO

? OCT (“end of October”)
MomDC and M last communicated with M’s grandfather (MomDC’s father) in Moldova [22]

W NOV 16
According to SDadCP, this was the last time he saw M [15]

M NOV 21 - MADALINA COJOCARI LAST SEEN ------------------------------------------------------------------
According to school counselor, this was the last time M attended school [15] - cf T NOV 22
4:59PM - M recorded disembarking from school bus at her stop [18]
View attachment 389079

SOMETIME BETWEEN T NOV 22 TO Th DEC 15
According to CPD, “one of the family members [MomDC] was in the Madison County area of NC” with a Toyota Prius between 22 Nov and 15 Dec [32]; deputy stopped to check on her at pull-off area west of Marshall, near Lonesome Mountain; M was not in the vehicle [33]

T NOV 22 - DAY 1
MC attended classes at Bailey Middle School [10] - cf M NOV 21
12PM - According to MomDC's report on Dec 15, M was missing since this time [16] - cf W NOV 23

W NOV 23 - DAY 2
NO SCHOOL [4]
[PM] - M last seen at home [1] at 10PM [10] by MomDC when M went to bed [12] - cf T NOV 22
[PM] - According to MomDC, she and SDadCP had an argument that night [12]

Th NOV 24 - DAY 3
THANKSGIVING - NO SCHOOL [4]
[AM] - According to MomDC, SDadCP drove to Michigan to "recover some items"; he claims he did not see M before he left [12]
11:30AM - According to MomDC, she woke up feeling sick, as if she’d been under anesthesia [31] and when she went to check on M, she was gone [12] but that she’d been looking for her “non-stop” since then [31]

F NOV 25 - DAY 4
NO SCHOOL [4]

Sa NOV 26 - DAY 5
7PM - According to MomDC, SDadCP returned from his trip to Michigan and she asked him if he knew where M was, but he did not; she did not make missing persons report because she was "worried to might start a conflict" between her and SDadCP; he claims that he asked MomDC then and in weeks following if she had "hidden" M from him [12]

Su NOV 27 - DAY 6
[PM] According to neighbors, there were fires burning in the yard at the residence "at all hours" beginning on this day [19@2:22]; items burned included couch cushions; Cornelius FD chief acknowledges blaze but can’t comment on it [26*]

M DEC 12 - DAY 21
2PM [17] - SRO tried to make a home visit to address M's truancy, but no one answered at residence [12]; truancy packet was left [15]

T DEC 13 - DAY 22
[TIME?] - Around this date (“Roughly, I don’t know, 13, 14”) MomDC cried on the phone to her sister AuntCP, stating that she was afraid SDadCP was listening to her phone conversations, knew M was gone but did not know where, and that when she had woken up on W 23 NOV, she’d felt sick, like she’d been waking up from anesthesia [31]

W DEC 14 - DAY 23
[TIME?] - MomDC calls school counselor and schedules meeting to discuss truancy, saying she will bring M [15]

Th DEC 15 - REPORTED MISSING - DAY 24
1:15PM - M reported missing to Bailey Middle School SRO by "parents" [1] MomDC supposed to bring M to meeting at school about truancy but arrived without her, claiming that she did not know where M was [12]

F DEC 16 - DAY 25
[PM] FBI, SBI searching residence, "spent hours digging in the ground in her backyard, and searching for evidence inside the home" [3]

Sa DEC 17 - SDadCP & MomDC ARRESTED - DAY 26
[TIME?] during visit to home [on this date?], LE note that kitchen was blocked off; SDadCP claimed it was to create another apartment [20]
12:29AM [6] - SDadCP arrested for failure to report disappearance of child, held on $100k bond [2]
[AM] According to neighbors, there were fires burning in the yard at residence up to this time [19@2:22]
10:12AM - MomDC arrested for failure to report disappearance of child, held on $100k bond [7]; stated that she “believed her husband put her family in danger”; family in Moldova had told her to call the police but she did not; stated that a bookbag with clothes was missing [20]

Su DEC 18 - DAY 27
[PM] - FBI, SBI, CPD return to residence, collect evidence, bring in K9 unit, tow vehicle [8]
View attachment 388683

M DEC 19 - DAY 28
[AM] - Search includes Lake Cornelius/Lake Davidson [9]
[AM] - SDadCP appears in court, bond increased to $200k [9]; represented by public defender; both parents state they do not know where M is [11]

T DEC 20 - DAY 29
[AM] - MomDC appears in court [9]; bond increased to $250k [13]; electronic monitoring will be required should she makes bond [14]
7PM - Prayer vigil held in common area near home [10][21]

W DEC 21 - DAY 30
AM - Interview with MomDC’s father in Moldova published [22] - cf ? OCT
5PM - Cornelius PD return to residence, possibly taking photos [23]

Th DEC 22 - DAY 31
AM - Members of M’s extended (Palmiter [25]) family release letter requesting public’s help in finding her [24]
7PM - Prayer vigil held at Cornelius Town Square [10]

F DEC 23 - DAY 32
PM - SDadCP’s FB page updated with new profile pic, removal of other info [27]

SOMETIME BETWEEN T DEC 27 and F JAN 6
LE canvassing in Madison County; search dogs spotted along Lonesome Mountain Road [33]

T DEC 27
PM - Cornelius PD release video update - states it is a “serious case of a child whose parents clearly are not telling us everything they know”[30]

W DEC 28
PM - COURT DATE: Bond hearings for SDadCP & MomDC scheduled [25] - not held [29]
PM - New bond conditions agreed upon with judge [29]
  • If released, MomDC and SDadCP will surrender their passports [29]
  • If released, SDadCP would also be required to wear an electronic monitoring device [29] (already a condition for MomDC - cf T Dec 20) [29]

F DEC 30
Warrants for Dec 21 search of home temporarily sealed [33]

F JAN 6
LE asks for info about anyone seeing MomDC or Prius in Madison County (about 3hrs from M’s home) between Nov 22 and Dec 15 [33]

------------
SOURCES
[1] Cornelius PD FB post - Dec 15
[2] Stepdad of missing 11-year-old - WSOC - Dec 16
[3] FBI, SBI search Cornelius home - WCCB - Dec 16
[4] Bailey MIddle School calendar
[5] Police asking for public's help... VIDEO - WCNC - Dec 17
[6] Mecklenburg Co arrest record for Christopher Palmiter (saved on Wayback)
[7] Mecklenburg Co arrest record for Diana Cojocari (saved on Wayback)
[8] FBI, SBI Return to Home of 11-Year-Old... - WCCB - Dec 18
[9] Search for Madalina Cojocari expands - WCNC - Dec 19
[10] Police search lake in Cornelius... - Charlotte Observer - Dec 19
[11] Stepfather of missing 11-year-old... - WBTV - Dec 20
[12] @DerekDlngr tweet THREAD - WJZY - Dec 20
[13] @DerekDlngr tweet THREAD - WJZY - Dec 20
[14] @MaryCalkinsTV tweet - WBTV - Dec 20
[15] Arrest report: Mom, dad say missing girl last seen - WSOC - Dec 20
[16] Mom has 'hindered the investigation' - WBTV - Dec 20
[17] @SydneyHeiberger tweet - Fox46 - Dec 20
[18] Cornelius PD press release tweet - Dec 20 - incl link to bus VIDEO
[19] Madalina Cojocari Missing - WCNC VIDEO - Dec 17
[20] Mother of Missing Cornelius girl - WBTV - Dec 21
[21] @observer_photog tweet - Charlotte Observer - Dec 21
[22] Ce declară bunelul fetiței dispărute în SUA - stri.md - Dec 21
[23] Large police presence spotted at home - WBTV - Dec 21
[24] ‘We are desperate to find her right now’ - WSOC - Dec 22
[25] New insight into Madalina Cojocari’s extended family - WCCB - Dec 22
[26] Family of missing Madalina Cojocari, 11, lit a fire – DailyMail *TABLOID - Dec 22
[27] FBI releases new photos - WCCB - Dec 23
[28] @DerekDlngr tweet THREAD - WJZY - Dec 28
[29] Judge sets new bond conditions - WSCOC - Dec 29
[30] Cornelius PD FB video - Dec 27
[31] Mărturia exclusivă făcută de mama Mădălinei Cojocari - Antena3.ro - Dec 29
[32] Missing Madalina Cojocari: Police seek information - Jan 6
[33] Find Madalina: Police ask anyone who saw mom, car - Jan 6
Quotes the timeline.
So the if the witness from the above link is correct. This was the day AFTER the bus stop video. Also, just randomly inputted approximate drive time. 2hours and 45 minutes drive. This was also they day before the argument.

Just checking in and thinking about little M today. Doesn't look like the SWs released much that we didn't already know. The plywood partition gives me the most ominous feelings.
Since we first learned of M''s disappearance, LE has done a great job keeping us informed on the case's progress, imo. The information flow seems to be slowing down now. But, we know this happens during investigations and it is understandable authorities want to keep details under wraps until disclosure for trial. I do think there will be a trial.

The plywood enclosure causes me creepy thoughts, so am trying not to speculate until we hear more facts. So far hearings for both parents are still scheduled for March 2.
My opinion only.

My personal biases are likely showing:

Is it possible that the mother passed the daughter off to an underground safe haven?

Is it possible that the mother had freedoms (phone, internet) that were gradually or recently cut off)?

Is it possible the mother was poisoned (drugged) and wasn't supposed to awaken?

Are the parents working together or against one another? Are they keeping the same secret?

Is one guilty of child-briding and one child-hiding?

Is the mother fearful of something more powerful than LE?

JMconcernedO

My personal biases are likely showing:

Is it possible that the mother passed the daughter off to an underground safe haven?

Is it possible that the mother had freedoms (phone, internet) that were gradually or recently cut off)?

Is it possible the mother was poisoned (drugged) and wasn't supposed to awaken?

Are the parents working together or against one another? Are they keeping the same secret?

Is one guilty of child-briding and one child-hiding?

Is the mother fearful of something more powerful than LE?

JMconcernedO
It is also very possible that the mom could be in on the whole thing, whatever has happened. Many mothers somehow lack a maternal instinct and abuse their children/enable abusers around their children, as we've seen time and time again here at WS. We see it often yet it is always shocking.
this is my opinion.

If my kid was missing, I'd be going crazy and calling the cops and screaming door to door, hysterical. Not moseying about and then uttering the pathetic excuse of, "It might make my man upset"

Sorry, I have no sympathy for the very-much-so arrested parents in this case, I feel they have harmed her unless it is proven otherwise.

I've been wondering about upcoming court proceedings. Hoping for input from posters.

We know CP and DC have hearings scheduled in Mecklenburg Superior Court for March 2, 2023 (links below). While not stated in court posting, I think these are Probable Cause hearings

We know parents have been indicted by Grand Jury with Failure to Report Missing Child.

I am wondering now, with the evidence recently gathered, if the State might convene another Grand Jury to determine if adequate new evidence has been gathered to proceed with murder charges. And...will this likely happen before the scheduled March 2, 2023 hearings?

I've been wondering about upcoming court proceedings. Hoping for input from posters.

We know CP and DC have hearings scheduled in Mecklenburg Superior Court for March 2, 2023 (links below). While not stated in court posting, I think these are Probable Cause hearings

We know parents have been indicted by Grand Jury with Failure to Report Missing Child.

I am wondering now, with the evidence recently gathered, if the State might convene another Grand Jury to determine if adequate new evidence has been gathered to proceed with murder charges. And...will this likely happen before the scheduled March 2, 2023 hearings?

The Grand Jury indictment means enough probable cause was presented to charge and arrest the parents. Now that the case has moved to Superior Court the parents’ attorneys are entitled to review the State’s evidence against them (discovery). So the next hearings can entail a number of actions like bail reduction or other motions, scheduling future hearings or a trial date. In the meantime plea negotiations may be happening.

As for new charges it’ll be interesting to see what unfolds. Since there’s no statute of limitations for murder they have time to build a case. I’d be surprised if the DA currently has enough evidence but that’s JMO.

At the same time the priority is finding Madalina. What will it take to force one or both parents to talk? IMO I have no doubt they’re involved and I thought one would break by now.

Will the DA threaten murder charges? Will they offer one a deal? What will it take? I’m starting to think they’re stonewalling because they know Madalina is dead and all they can offer is revealing where her body is. And maybe an autopsy would tell a terrible story. I dunno. So frustrating.

All MOO

Its so long without Madalina to be seen, she is just 11 years old. Her parents instead of talking and clear the situation are still in jail, there is no way in my opinion that she is still alive fending for herself out there without being seen.

It’s astonishing that DC plays “ a victim “ by saying CP did something, she was perhaps drugged ( feeling weird next day), listened to her on phone. Imo she knows more and there is a reason she is still in jail and not talking what really happened that day. All imo

I wonder if the photos attached to this news article is DC in that mountain area.

With the location DC went the day after the bus video. I wonder if she was potentially meeting someone. Maybe half way?
Could they have been coming from TN? I wonder if she has any connections out that way.

Hopefully LE can find something solid on those phones. I really would like to hang on to the hope that Madalina is out there alive just with someone her Mother approved of. But then I always come back to the couch burning.

I wonder if the photos attached to this news article is DC in that mountain area.

With the location DC went the day after the bus video. I wonder if she was potentially meeting someone. Maybe half way?
Could they have been coming from TN? I wonder if she has any connections out that way.

Hopefully LE can find something solid on those phones. I really would like to hang on to the hope that Madalina is out there alive just with someone her Mother approved of. But then I always come back to the couch burning.
Yes, I always come back to the couch burning too. Odd, to say the least. But OTOH, in the case of the missing lady Ana Walshe, I thought the fire at the house they used to own (on the same day Ana disappeared) just had to be connected - but apparently not, just a coincidence. So what would I know?

It is interesting that from that area in western North Carolina she could connect with either interstate 81 or interstate 40 to go to the East coast or West coast. I keep hoping MC is in hiding. I can explain away the couch. Others have said she would be too worried about her missing daughter to worry about a couch, but not if she knew where her missing daughter was.

Yes, I always come back to the couch burning too. Odd, to say the least. But OTOH, in the case of the missing lady Ana Walshe, I thought the fire at the house they used to own (on the same day Ana disappeared) just had to be connected - but apparently not, just a coincidence. So what would I know?
Although in Madalina's case, it's hard to believe her mother out back burning items (after Madalina went missing and was never reported as such), would not be 100% connected.

There was some wiggle room in Ana's case because she didn't even live at the house where the fire happened.
Not the same deal in Madalina's case.

jmo

Although in Madalina's case, it's hard to believe her mother out back burning items (after Madalina went missing and was never reported as such), would not be 100% connected.

There was some wiggle room in Ana's case because she didn't even live at the house where the fire happened.
Not the same deal in Madalina's case.

jmo
I also find it hard to believe that burning items in backyard is not connected to Madalina’s case, unless they burned furnitures regularly in the garden which neighbours would know. I also think its not legal to do that and would have been reported?

Re: Backyard burning and DC's trip to Madison County...

Maybe DC made the trip to Madison Country to dispose of bags full of fire pit ashes, etc. into dumpsters along the route. With all that backyard burning we've read about, there must have been piles of ashes and scorched pieces remaining in pit after each burn.

Before anyone knew M had disappeared, DC and CP had three long weeks to destroy evidence. LE has had the case now for about four weeks. Seems so much longer.

Last edited:
The Grand Jury indictment means enough probable cause was presented to charge and arrest the parents. Now that the case has moved to Superior Court the parents’ attorneys are entitled to review the State’s evidence against them (discovery). So the next hearings can entail a number of actions like bail reduction or other motions, scheduling future hearings or a trial date. In the meantime plea negotiations may be happening.

As for new charges it’ll be interesting to see what unfolds. Since there’s no statute of limitations for murder they have time to build a case. I’d be surprised if the DA currently has enough evidence but that’s JMO.

At the same time the priority is finding Madalina. What will it take to force one or both parents to talk? IMO I have no doubt they’re involved and I thought one would break by now.

Will the DA threaten murder charges? Will they offer one a deal? What will it take? I’m starting to think they’re stonewalling because they know Madalina is dead and all they can offer is revealing where her body is. And maybe an autopsy would tell a terrible story. I dunno. So frustrating.

All MOO
I hope the DA is threatening parents with murder charges. I hope investigators are telling parents they can make a convincing case even without discovery of a body. LE may still be waiting for lab results and digital data. So, would it be too soon for them to consider plea deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy