Found Deceased NC - Maddox Ritch, 6 w/Autism, Gastonia, 22 Sept 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish that people would learn what an Amber alert means- I see this all of the time, why no Amber alert? They need to know the difference. Now, why there is no BOLO alert for Maddox, is a mystery to me, along with other missing children. Some police forces are great and issue an alert while others do not when kids are missing.

Amber alert- needs a description of a VEHICLE the child was seen getting into or forced into, the license plate number, and if possible, a description of the kidnapper. That does not apply here to Maddox.

BOLO alert- Be on the lookout- this should be issued on TV/social media, etc with Maddox's updated photo and possibly photos of clothes he was wearing that day. Police also send this alert along with Amber alerts to other police forces in surrounding towns and states, if necessary. In this case, it would help to put one out, just in case he was indeed, with another adult that isn't one of the parents or he was found wandering around by himself.

Ty for posting this...

On the NBC News Dateline FB page, there's a screenshot of the dad's with a disturbing text.
Under the initials JDT ,4 hours ago .

Might just be me... but it seems like a strange way to describe your missing child.
What is reported in the video here is also a little concerning but as per TOS I'm going to mark it up as a distraught parent not knowing what to do.

Parents of Maddox Ritch pleading for him to be found

I am local to this case. Today while passing the I-85 and Hwy 321 exit, we saw visible presence of LE. There was a chopper out there most of the day too.

It is being reported that the dad and his friend saw the boy run and the father chased after but was unable to catch the boy.

This is nearly identical to the recent Las Vegas case, where the young boy was reported to have "disappeared" in the park.
I predict the same result. UNLESS someone in that park reports that they saw those people there, I am skeptical of their description.

Here we go again. I have been away for a while. After Lucas I just could not handle another child case. My heart is still broken over that one. (RIP little man). And now we have this. I am trying so hard to buy the story and I just can't. Poor Maddox :(

The news station WBTV just reported that they talked to a woman who saw Maddox at the park on Saturday. More coming in the 6:00 news hour
I wonder if she described what he was wearing, and if it matched the description and photo handout given ?
Not dismissing her testimony-- just that there are probably other kids who'd match Maddox' description.

I wonder who the other adult is
So do I.

The woman said she saw a little boy running alone but that he didn’t seem scared, it seemed like he was playing.
Could it be that he was thinking "hide and seek" ? :(
Again , was it possibly another boy ?
When was the last time he was seen besides the park ?
School is in session now-- so, Fri.21st ?

On the NBC News Dateline FB page, there's a screenshot of the dad's with a disturbing text.
Under the initials JDT ,4 hours ago .

Might just be me... but it seems like a strange way to describe your missing child.
Another post from about 15 minutes ago by MSMc is also unusual but again it's probably nothing.

Here we go again. I have been away for a while. After Lucas I just could not handle another child case. My heart is still broken over that one. (RIP little man). And now we have this. I am trying so hard to buy the story and I just can't. Poor Maddox :(
I admit I have reservations. I was thinking he had some sort of meltdown and freaked out-- and those watching him couldn't handle it ?

Playing the devil's advocate : The easiest way to get rid of a child is to do away with him/her-- and tell everyone he is missing. Then let the authorities look for him.
Also, start selling his toys and clothes as he'll not be needing them anymore.
Sounds cold.

:mad:
But I WANT to be wrong.

Just so I have this story straight, the mother and father have requested privacy and to not be named but it was the father and a different woman at the park when Maddox went missing. Is this correct? And has msm reported the relationship between the father and the woman? Girlfriend, relative, friend?

Thanks in advance - I hope to be caught up soon!

ETA: I just found an article that called the woman a friend but it says LE has not identified her to the public. It also says there are many nearby holes Maddox could have fallen into! Thank goodness so many different agencies are out helping search for him! I hope he is found safe and unharmed soon!!
MISSING 6-YEAR-OLD MADDOX RITCH: DAY 3: Leads pour in after boy with autism reported missing from Gastonia park

Last edited:
Have there been reports of SAR dogs being utilized yet ?
Time is of the essence here, and if dad couldn't catch up to Maddox -- he knows what general direction he might have headed, right ?
So, use the dogs NOW before it rains or whatever !!

I wonder if she described what he was wearing, and if it matched the description and photo handout given ?
Not dismissing her testimony-- just that there are probably other kids who'd match Maddox' description.

So do I.

Could it be that he was thinking "hide and seek" ? :(
Again , was it possibly another boy ?
When was the last time he was seen besides the park ?
School is in session now-- so, Fri.21st ?

They played a phone interview with the woman who said she saw him but I couldn’t catch all the details (I was feeding my 10 month old). I keep checking the news site to see if they add details to the story online.

Have there been reports of SAR dogs being utilized yet ?
Time is of the essence here, and if dad couldn't catch up to Maddox -- he knows what general direction he might have headed, right ?
So, use the dogs NOW before it rains or whatever !!

I just saw a picture of a German shepherd and handler on one of the news stories.

Massive search continues Maddox Ritch, 6-year-old with special needs, who went missing from a North Carolina park

So confusing- this article first says he was walking with his father and another adult, then later in the same article says his parents lost sight of him.

Some reports say two adults were with him and some say three adults were walking with him.

One article said that three adults ran after him but were unable to catch up with him.

I will apologize if I am wrong but this is starting to fail to pass the smell test.

I remember a situation down here about 20 years ago where two homeschooled kids and their dog (a Rottie, maybe?) disappeared while the parents were cleaning some cabins. The cabins were located on a big hunt property not far from Deland but on the other side of the river. Lots of trees, low lands, and water. LE took the parents into town for polygraphs and mom failed miserably. Homeschooling hadn’t gained quite the toehold it has now (although we were homeschooling my daughter and we also lived about 15 miles from the camp. My husband had logged the property across the road from there). Everyone was certain the parents had killed those two kids and dumped them in the woods. Shortly after LE “let slip” that mom failed the poly, the kids and dog were found safe. They had gone out exploring and gotten lost. I always try to remember that things aren’t always the way they appear. I don’t always succeed, but I do try.

I could honestly see any scenario playing out here. I don't want to pass judgement on the father in this case. His son probably is lost on the park.

I just found it interesting about what my firefighter neighbor said in regards to where he and some LE are and their train of thought.

I have another buddy of mine who helps me coach our sons fall ball team that is a sheriffs deputy. He missed the ballgame tonight because they are still out searching for him. Lot's of good people and resources have been dedicated in this search and I hope he is merely out in the woods and found safe.

They have brung in a great deal of resources and there has been the constant presence of them but it has all ( that public has seen at least) been limited to the area of the park and now 2 miles surrounding out of it. It is in no way massive but they do have enough agencies assisting to cover a lot of space quickly.
Gastonia Police Department

Yep.

And it's my understanding that they have not asked for volunteers.

I am confident that if he is in that park he will be found.

Massive search continues Maddox Ritch, 6-year-old with special needs, who went missing from a North Carolina park

So confusing- this article first says he was walking with his father and another adult, then later in the same article says his parents lost sight of him.

Some reports say two adults were with him and some say three adults were walking with him.

One article said that three adults ran after him but were unable to catch up with him.

I will apologize if I am wrong but this is starting to fail to pass the smell test.
Wow.

Sorry... but damn.
I could prob. catch a 6 year old.
I'm not young-- but if there was even one other person with me-- yes, we could catch up to a child.
And if he was autistic -- I'd be extra vigilant ,as a child who is non-verbal might not be able to let me know he wanted to 'take a walk' or 'go and see something'.
He'd just leave.

I haven't worked with autistic children-- but if this is your own child -- by the age of six years old, you know him/her pretty well ,and what to expect from their behavior.
It's called "elopements" when they wander off, I think. :(

Losing sight of him and suddenly realizing he was gone-- that would be different.

Wow.

Sorry... but damn.
I could prob. catch a 6 year old.
I'm not young-- but if there was even one other person with me-- yes, we could catch up to a child.
And if he was autistic -- I'd be extra vigilant ,as a child who is non-verbal might not be able to let me know he wanted to 'take a walk' or 'go and see something'.
He'd just leave.

I haven't worked with autistic children-- but if this is your own child -- by the age of six years old, you know him/her pretty well ,and what to expect from their behavior.
It's called "elopements" when they wander off, I think. :(

Losing sight of him and suddenly realizing he was gone-- that would be different.

If three adults were trying to catch a six year old, running after him, I would think it wouldn’t be too difficult if one chased behind, the other two ran to the sides to head him off and circle back.

I think one thing twisting our heads around is not so much that a little one ran off so quickly but that the adult(s) lost sight of him immediately and weren't able to visually spot him within minutes.

I remember one case - Jerold Williams - where that happened at a campsite with 20 people nearby. Initially the story was that he was looking at butterflies with his mother then ran off but later it turned out that a young relative was actually watching him, which explained a lot.

My grandson is a bundle of energy but twice when he unexpectedly took off away from me I was able to keep sight of him until I caught up and I think that's what so hard to understand in Maddox' case - that he ran out of sight so quickly and the adults couldn't figure out which way he went. So awful.
Maddox is autistic and nonverbal -- he doesn't talk -- but officials said there is a special team with the FBI that is highly trained and experienced in mysterious missing children's cases that are working to find him.
MISSING 6-YEAR-OLD MADDOX RITCH: DAY 3: Leads pour in after boy with autism reported missing from Gastonia park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike