Found Deceased NC - Maddox Ritch, 6 w/Autism, Gastonia, 22 Sept 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the questions that I had early on was whether or not Maddox had ever been to this park previously. I wondered if Maddox was familiar with his surroundings in this particular park having been there previously. In one interview, Maddox's father indicated that this was their first time visiting Rankin Lake Park. In another report, he suggested that they had been to this park several times. Which is it?
I took that as a reporters bad wording. They often take walks. That Saturday it just happened to be at that park. Who knows?? Too much conflicting info and bad reporting out there. Most people don’t dissect wording like we do.

One of the questions that I had early on was whether or not Maddox had ever been to this park previously. I wondered if Maddox was familiar with his surroundings in this particular park having been there previously. In one interview, Maddox's father indicated that this was their first time visiting Rankin Lake Park. In another report, he suggested that they had been to this park several times. Which is it?
The difference being one is a direct quote, the other is a reporter's telling of information (that is likely being mis-reported, IMO).

BBM
I don't post much, but just wanted to weigh in on the running part. My son is on the spectrum and is a "runner", and is insanely fast. When he runs it is because of a fight or flight sensation that he feels. He will basically glaze over and take off, not caring what or who is in his way. There have been many teachers and administrators that have not been able to catch him. He can also scale a fence like his life depends on it. But with my son, it is usually something that sets him off or upsets him. On a normal day he is not a very fast runner and could easily be caught by an adult, but if he is in a "meltdown" that is a whole other story - it's almost comparable to "super-human strength".
I of course don't know much about this little boy, but if he is anything like my son then I could totally see how he could easily get away from an adult. Hoping he is found soon, and found safe!

Thank you for your post. I think many people are not understanding the difference between the running of a child not on the spectrum and the running of a child on the spectrum who is a "runner".

Someone asked about Maddox's communication. His dad said in an interview that Maddox talks a lot at home, but is nonverbal with strangers. Here we call it being selective mute. I believe that my autistic son would possibly ask someone for help if he were lost, but he'd have to be desperate and they would have to listen very closely as he would only speak once, and quietly. Please let Maddox be found soon /:

What was the outcome?
The little boy was found about 16 hours after he came up missing. He was hidden from view, had walked just about 1 mile into the woods, somehow managed to wedge his way into some bushes covered in vines and feel asleep. The k9 dogs discovered him by scent and they had to cut the vines off to be able to lift him out. He was scratched up badly, dehydrated and hungry but fine otherwise.

Now, the mystery is growing as some have questioned Ian’s account. However, an FBI Charlotte spokeswoman, Shelley Lynch, tells PEOPLE that Maddox “was in the park” that day.

“We believe he was in the park, but we aren’t ruling anything out,” Lynch says. “We’ve said that from the very beginning. We need to find this child. We need people to come forward who were at the park to help us.”

FBI agent Jason Kaplan said at a recent news conference that they believe Ian’s account is “accurate.”

“People are making it out like I did something to him. I would never hurt my little boy. I love him to death and I just want him back. I’ve been feeling the blame since this happened,” Ian previously told PEOPLE. “I just wish I would have caught him before he got too far away from me. It’s broken my heart to think that I just let him get too far away.”
911 Caller Doesn't Believe Missing Boy with Autism Was at N.C. Park, But FBI Believes Dad's Account

FBI Charlotte‏Verified account @FBICharlotte

'The FBI's Underwater Search and Evidence Response Team is in the water at Rankin Lake Park in Gastonia as part of the continuing search efforts to find 6-year-old Maddox Ritch. We desperately need to hear from EVERYONE in the park on Saturday. 704-869-1075. #FindMaddox'

View attachment 148842

FBI Charlotte on Twitter
Maybe it's just me, but if they have an idea that he is in the lake or still somewhere in that park, why are they frantically asking over and over again for people at the park to call in?

My family and I love to hike, canoe and kayak. We go many places, some local, others far away. None of watch the news on TV, and if it wasn't for the fact that I am on here at Websleuths or on Facebook, we truly would not know if someone was missing unless it was local.

Perhaps some of these boat renters aren't local. We have a lot of leaf peepers here in New England that love to kayak and canoe as well as hike new trails and parks. So, I could see where many may not be calling in, as they may just not be local folks, some could be from out of state like we were last week- we went to New York on my hubby's business trip and we went for a nightly walk at several parks by the water that locals told us about. If someone were to go missing during that time period when we were in New York, and I wasn't a member here, I would be, along with my husband, two people who wouldn't obviously respond because we are out of state, so we would have no clue that a child went missing on any of those nights we went walking.

This could be a reason as to why many folks aren't calling- like us, some of them might not watch the news. Like us, they might not be local or live in the state. I'm sure many of them aren't on here at WS. I don't think it's from a lack of caring, it could just be that they are not aware of Maddox being missing and may need to be called to see if they remember anything from that day.

My opinion is slowly changing, agreeing with many of you that he is likely in the water. Especially after the FBI brought in all that equipment. Breaks my heart either way:(:(

I get that but I also wonder if they are doing it to conclusively rule out that he is NOT in the water and to then broaden the investigation accordingly...?

Some bold observation statements from the park employee.
He continues to stand behind his feeling of dads not quite appropriate behavior to the situation and questioning if the child was there at all.

Help me out, has FBI confirmed witnesses to actually seeing Maddox or is that just rumor or just that they can confirm he was there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Contrary Marge