Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #9 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did any of us miss that?? Is it a false report? I would think that would've stood out right away.

Authorities across a neighboring state are on the lookout for an abducted toddler after an incident overnight.
North Carolina has issued an Amber Alert after a 3-year-old child was reportedly abducted around 11:30 p.m. Sunday. The child, Mariah Kay Woods was last seen at 2405 Lot 7 of Dawson Cabin Road in Jacksonville, North Carolina.

http://www.wtsp.com/mobile/article/...edly-abducted-out-of-north-carolina/494998399

Wow. I totally missed that.
Abducted at 11:30pm. KW 'put her to bed, or checked on her at 11:00 pm. Maria 'woke up' at 12:00 pm.
That's a hole big enough to drive a semi through, sideways.

Or the fact that very often, cops deal with low lifes on a regular basis, and misdemeanor assault is a valid charge. Keep in mind that no one calls the police when things are going well! Some people who get arrested deserve to get arrested. MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not to mention, there are millions of interactions between LE and civilians every day, with only a handful ever making the news.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm reading between the lines. The son gave this info to his grandpa. Grandpa tells LE. LE ask KW why her son thinks that Maple Hill could be relevant. KW tells LE that the son is possibly mistaken because EK told them he was out that night stealing dressers from High Hill Road and she never said anything before because he would get into trouble for a/ not saying he left the trailer that night and b/ for the theft.

Just doesn't make sense to me why LE would not go search Maple Hill area immediately if they had this information, I doubt they would just blow it off based on KW saying oh my son made a mistake he heard High Hill Road. Something just doesn't add up with the Vance Scott story and it could simply be as things get repeated things get left out and other things get added in especially when emotions are high.

I think he had a hot temper, and, at times he lost complete control of that temper. Not a good thing. I have a hot temper. It kinda runs in our family. I have learned to put distance in between me and what sparks mine. Thus far, in over 1/2 a century, I've only killed a breakfast sandwich and one cell phone (there's no cradle, to slam the receiver into, anymore. I kinda miss that satisfying feeling.). Not saying my temper never surfaces, but I've never killed anyone, nor bashed the windows out of one of our vehicles.

hehehe This gave me a good laugh. I miss that also.

Just doesn't make sense to me why LE would not go search Maple Hill area immediately if they had this information, I doubt they would just blow it off based on KW saying oh my son made a mistake he heard High Hill Road. Something just doesn't add up with the Vance Scott story and it could simply be as things get repeated things get left out and other things get added in especially when emotions are high.
It answers how they knew that dressers had disappeared that night from an abandoned house, and why they had the warrant for arrest drawn up.

It answers how they knew that dressers had disappeared that night from an abandoned house, and why they had the warrant for arrest drawn up.

IMO the dresser info came about to LE one of two ways from KW to explain why he left the trailer as a witness saw him outside the trailer at 3 am - or directly from EK for the same reason - someone saw him at 3 am carrying something.

One of the first things I was confused about when learning about this case was the discrepancy about the time she was reported to last be seen.

I saw discrepancies in the reporting and I bet LE was getting discrepancies too right from the adults in the house which is why I think they put 11:30 in this amber alert.

They most likely split the difference about the discrepancies they were hearing from the adults.

"child was reportedly abducted around 11:30 p.m"

http://www.wtsp.com/mobile/article/...edly-abducted-out-of-north-carolina/494998399

IMO the dresser info came about to LE one of two ways from KW to explain why he left the trailer as a witness saw him outside the trailer at 3 am - or directly from EK for the same reason - someone saw him at 3 am carrying something.
He could have denied it was him they saw. I think it came out because they had to explain what the son heard.

OT/ I understand this, and for the most part, agree. I've seen the Dinkheller video. They can't wait. I have a child with a hearing impairment, so I fear for that child. When this kid would come into the county to see me, it was almost assured they pulled him over, and then tear his car apart, b/c they can since this kid's on probation. He's been beaten already, just for the cop's fun, and entertainment. The cop's sidekick just stood by and did nothing. Same cop was caught on camera doing the same to someone else, days later, but, just got moved to another region... So, yeah, bad cops exist. I ran into Walking Smalls when I was young. I just stood and bit my tongue. I'm respectful, and pleasant, b/c you catch more flies with honey, but I don't trust most of them as far as I can throw them.

BBM

O/T I guess I see it differently because I have family members that are LE, Federal, state and local level. But I think the key in your story is that your child is on probation and therefore known to LE in your area. If a person is known to LE for breaking a law then of course LE is going to suspect they would do it again. Even though that person may be as innocent as a babe that time, you cannot remove the knowledge from the officers mind that this person has broke this law before.

It is like sex offenders. Even if you are not a police officer, if someone was known to you to have molested a child and was on probation or sent to jail for it, even if that person had never committed that crime again, would you allow that sex offender to be alone in a house with your child? Would you take that chance?

Would you leave your money out in plain sight in front of someone who was known to steal?

I am in no way implying anything about your child, but if someone is known to do something illegal once, any reasonable person would then be wary of that person doing it again. And LE are human just like the rest of us.

AMBER Alert News Release

THIS IS A NORTH CAROLINA AMBER ALERT FOR
A CHILD ABDUCTION

THIS ALERT HAS BEEN CANCELLED!

verified address as correct
Photo
Mariah Woods
Mariah Woods

RALEIGH 11/27/17 11:15 AM -- The Onslow County Sheriff is searching for a missing child: Mariah Kay Woods.

Mariah Kay Woods is a 3-year-old White female, approximately 2 feet 9 inches tall, weighing 30 pounds. She has brown hair, and blue eyes.

2405-7 Dawson Cabin Road, Jacksonville NC

If you have any information regarding this abduction, call the Onslow County Sheriff immediately at (910) 455-3113, or call 911 or *HP.

NOTE: To view/download high-resolution images if available, click on photo.

https://www2.ncdps.gov/Index2.cfm?a=000003,000014,000081,001627

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly can't imagine being a social worker who has to make these decisions. You have two parents fighting over kids - accusations are made, you go investigate the child denies being hit, no medical records indicate abuse, the home is clean with food, kids doing well in school - what do you do you can't remove them yet they child may very well being abused. I am not talking specifically this case just in general terms.

Unfortunately so many use CPS as a tool to get the other parent in trouble because they are angry - such a waste of resources it is no wonder so many children slip thru the cracks.

Exactly. The caseworkers/system would be overwhelmed even without this type of behaviour, but they pile on to an already overworked system. I think if someone is proven to have filed a false report of any kind they should be fined, serve community service, or spend a few weekends in jail. That would curtail some of this. IMO

So confused at this point - I don't see anything that says son told anyone anything about what happened in the trailer that night, per the AW - Vance told LE what happened and where to look for Mariah the day Mariah went missing yet LE didn't bother looking in Maple Hill at that time. So the day Mariah went missing we have Vance, Scott, AW, and HC all had heard what had happened - doesn't make sense to me why LE didn't immediately search Maple Hill area then?

It could just be a matter of communication, distance, and logistics. They were looking, early on, off the road near where he stole the dressers, called High Hill Rd., in that water source called Hicks Run, iirc, or at least in and around there.

They could have thought that Maple Hill was so far, that it was possible he (V) confused it with High Hill. The reason why, is I believe, somehow, they knew they'd find her in water.

Saying they'd find her in Maple Hill gives them no real place to look, and no specific water source, it's just a place on the map. As if they'd said Jacksonville, or White Stocking. She was found off Hwy 53, and Shaw Hwy., actually between White Stocking, and Maple Hill, in Shelter Creek.

I think they had enough info, that when they arrested him, that they were able to push him to give up where she was, or, they leveraged the two against each other for what they needed.

Here is an NBC12 article that really adds to the timeline confusion.

http://m.nbc12.com/story/36932357/a...s-search-for-missing-toddler-in-onslow-county

According to WITN, the girl was last seen Monday around 6:45 a.m. at her home on Dawson Cabin Road in Jacksonville.

Also in same article, a quote from Kristy's mother, and more timeline confusion.

The media outlet is reporting Melissa Hunter, Mariah's grandmother, says Mariah's mother put the girl to bed at their home and she checked on her about 9 or 10 p.m. Hunter says the mother went to check on Mariah Monday morning, but she was gone.

BBM

O/T I guess I see it differently because I have family members that are LE, Federal, state and local level. But I think the key in your story is that your child is on probation and therefore known to LE in your area. If a person is known to LE for breaking a law then of course LE is going to suspect they would do it again. Even though that person may be as innocent as a babe that time, you cannot remove the knowledge from the officers mind that this person has broke this law before.

It is like sex offenders. Even if you are not a police officer, if someone was known to you to have molested a child and was on probation or sent to jail for it, even if that person had never committed that crime again, would you allow that sex offender to be alone in a house with your child? Would you take that chance?

Would you leave your money out in plain sight in front of someone who was known to steal?

I am in no way implying anything about your child, but if someone is known to do something illegal once, any reasonable person would then be wary of that person doing it again. And LE are human just like the rest of us.

Exactly. They do so, just because they can. He is known to them, so when he pulls into this county, if they see him, they will pull him over, only because they can do so. There's no need in beating the crap out of him though.

He said it was someone in the trailer. I don't think KW or EK would say they didn't know which one hit her or that they didn't know if she was dead but KW told Earl to get rid of her. It had to be one of the sons.

I would take it as the child reporting what they heard from the other room. I am not personally seeing any signs of someone telling them alternative explanations to confuse the story at all. Everything seems clear as long as I take it that it's someone in another room listening to what's going on and interpreting the sounds they hear.

So if the child says Mariah woke up crying, then I would interpret that as they heard Mariah crying. I would interpret the uncertainty in knowing for sure whether it was EK or KW as the child being unable to actually see, but being able to hear raised, angry voices, I don't know if they could hear a loud slap through the walls, or maybe Mariah going flying across the room? But if not, I think it would be interpretable by hearing the raised voices and then an increase in the level of crying, then more shouting, and you'd figure that the increase in crying was from Mariah being hit/hurt by an adult.

There was an interesting comment above the one I've quoted, about the actions of EK and KW. If KW was innocent, why not scream blue murder and go and get a neighbor to call 911? Why not scream at EK to leave the home and call 911 as soon as he's out the door and bolt it behind him? But instead we hear that KW told EK to hide the body, and EK does as he's told? This sounds to me as if they both feel complicit in what happened and at that moment in time all they want to do is 'cover up' what really happened for their own protection.

There seemed to be some uncertainty in that speakerphone call over whether or no Mariah was actually dead. That could just be from someone in another room hearing someone say, "is she dead?" And then maybe an answering voice saying, "no, I don't think so..." And then the next thing is hearing "you've got to hide the body!"

So there's more going on, we're getting a synopsis almost. But it does sound to me like a first report from a listening child, and they would need re-questioning to get a few more details.

We don't know when the bloody nose occurred. There's no report of it happening during an attack on Mariah, so it could have happened earlier in the day. The boys could have just hunkered down in their room with blankets over their head trying desperately to block out these sounds, and then in the morning pretending they slept through the whole thing and playing naive so as to not get themselves into trouble. I keep coming back to how would those boys be feeling after hearing their own mother tell EK to hide their sister's body? Wouldn't they be fearing that if they put one toe out of line that might be their fate, too? Especially bearing in mind the allegation about the belt and the bloody nose...they've likely suffered being hit, too. They don't know how they're going to survive this situation.

I think that maybe going to school that day, and then not being allowed back in the home (as it had become part of a crime scene) that night, kept them from being told an alternative story by KW. If they play "we were asleep, no we didn't hear anything!" in the morning, and then by the evening the grandmother is around and KW doesn't get privacy to take the boys aside and feed them an alternative story, then all they know is that the police are around, their sister has been reported 'missing' (but at least one of them heard 'hide the body' and finally they've been questioned, possibly by a police officer with the grandmother present and grandpa listening outside the door, and I think they've just told exactly what they heard. I think the boy(s) were showing extreme bravery at this point to relate what they heard no matter that it implicated KW, their own mother who, from what they've heard, was complicit in the death of their baby sister and the hiding of their sister's body. I would think KW would have been in police questioning at the police station at the time for them to open up this way.

So confused at this point - I don't see anything that says son told anyone anything about what happened in the trailer that night, per the AW - Vance told LE what happened and where to look for Mariah the day Mariah went missing yet LE didn't bother looking in Maple Hill at that time. So the day Mariah went missing we have Vance, Scott, AW, and HC all had heard what had happened - doesn't make sense to me why LE didn't immediately search Maple Hill area then?

I'm thinking that "Maple Hill" is a retrofitting, and that term didn't actually come from the person (presume child) who overheard the incident. I think they maybe heard a rough description of the area, perhaps KW asks EK where he put the body and he replies "Threw it over a bridge into a creek...down near *some rough description*" ...and someone's then retrofit "Maple Hill" into the description, but the police were just looking for days in various places where a body could be thrown into water. LE was still trying to do a systematic search working out from the mobile home, but it was noticeable that they seemed to be focusing on these kind of areas, so the description of the spot couldn't, in my mind, have been clear to LE in the way that it was to the family who might have been able to say, "ohh I wonder if it's that spot down Maple Hill?"

Oh thank you Tortoise, for listening and transcribing!!!

I found this part particularly disturbing. I'd thought I'd read it before but wasn't sure. Surely they knew. If not, I hope they can tell if she was deceased when they "got rid of her".

From Tortoise's post #566 brought forward by alex to post #578
Law enforcement seems to know she was removed from the scene of her death, so they must have grounds to believe she was dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CASHxGK