GUILTY NC - Mebane, biracial Male Skeletal 437UMNC, 10-12, off I-40, Sep'98- Robert "Bobby" Adam Whitt

There is another thread for this case...maybe they can be merged.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/02/06/article/dying_sculptor_hopes_to_learn_child_s_name

10-12 year old boy found Sept. 25 1998 along Interstate I85/40 near Mebane, NC (Buckhorn Road Exit).

John Doe Case #98-21372.

It was the scattered remains of a skeleton, a 10-year-old child, with tube socks and new boy’s sneakers still on the child’s feet. Folded neatly in the pocket of a pair of khaki shorts was $50 — two $20s, one $10.

New clothes plus money in the pocket seems to indicate to me that there was a recent transfer of custody -- from grandparent to parent, maybe, sending him off in good clothes with a gift in his pocket, or perhaps the boy was going off to boarding school and a grandparent/aunt gave him spending money etc.

I didn't realize that the boy had a severe overbite. I don't remember reading that before, or I overlooked it.

I really like Bender's work. The bust and the drawing look very different, though. But I like the sad, lost look of Bender's rendition.

I just submitted the Johnson Brothers (Jeremiah and Joshua) as possible matches.

I checked with Tim Horne to find out if the Johnson brothers (Jeremiah or Joshua) had been ruled out on this case. He says that he forwarded everything on that case to Gerald Nance of the NCMEC, and that it usually takes about six months to hear anything back from them.

I only know one ruleout on this case - Bryce Herda.

I doubt it's either of the Johnson brothers because neither are listed on the LADA site anymore.

Carl, what happened with this submission, any updates?

Carl, what happened with this submission, any updates?

Tim Horne of the OCSD forwarded this case (and all possible matches) to Jerry Nance of the NCMEC. But FWIW, he said that he didn't think that the Johnson brothers were matches to this case. I never contacted the NCMEC to follow-up on this case.

BTW, what's with all these old threads you're bumping up? :)

It's good to get them brought to the top I think to get interest and new sets of eyes. I have been wasting time tonight browsing through doenetwork and when I see a case that interests me, I type the case number in the box here at WS and start looking for matches. If I find any, I post them. But sometimes, I just want to bump it because it is touching to me. Some posters bump things for the missing, I like bumping for the still unidentified.

Just curious, as I can not find anything but has Tristan Meyers from Roseboro been ruled out as well?

Clothing is definitely different than what Tristan was last seen wearing. ***NM..I had thought he was in the same time frame but he did not go missing until 2000***

Kelly

I think that based on the shoe size and height that this boy could have been younger than 10 yo. My nephew fit those stats at about 8 yo. For those who are searching possibilities, would it help to open it up to a child a bit younger?

I think that based on the shoe size and height that this boy could have been younger than 10 yo. My nephew fit those stats at about 8 yo. For those who are searching possibilities, would it help to open it up to a child a bit younger?

My 14 yr old fits those stats as well.

They're probably using dental information and bone growth as well as, or more than, size.

Is is possible that if they opened up the age range a bit, that there could be a boy who is very small (or large)? I know that bones fuse and teeth form at certain ages, but is that just used for a guideline? Would it be possible for a large eight year old to have bones similar to that of a 10-12 year old? Just wondering.

Is is possible that if they opened up the age range a bit, that there could be a boy who is very small (or large)? I know that bones fuse and teeth form at certain ages, but is that just used for a guideline? Would it be possible for a large eight year old to have bones similar to that of a 10-12 year old? Just wondering.

I think it would be possible, depending on the nature of the early growth, but I'm not really sure. The teeth are more reliable indicators; wish they had the full dental chart because it looks like there was something odd about his back molars. I don't really know the details of how it works. It's just something I've picked up reading lots of UID cases :p

I know one of my brother's friends was 6 feet tall and starting to have beard growth at 12, so I imagine a year or two either way on this unidentified boy's age range is possible.

My son is almost 14 and just erupting his 12yr molars, and my 8yo is just erupting her 6yr molars. There is a huge varience in dental age IMO. I an not an expert in any way though.

My son is almost 14 and just erupting his 12yr molars, and my 8yo is just erupting her 6yr molars. There is a huge varience in dental age IMO. I an not an expert in any way though.

Yeah, exactly -- so if somebody is within a year or two of the range, it's probably worth considering.

The NAMUS description says "pre-adolescent," which I would interpret as 9-12 or thereabouts. Older than elementary school but not yet starting to mature.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back