Found Deceased NC - Megan Oxendine, 28, Christina Bennett, 32, and Rhonda Jones, 36, Lumberton, Apr/Jun 2017

Autopsy for Meghan Oxendine
The naked body of Oxendine, 28, was found outside an abandoned home, partially concealed by a cedar tree, covered with tree branches and roof shingles. Medical Examiner Jennifer Altman said there was no apparent natural disease or physical injury that caused Oxendine's death.

As with Jones, decay of the remains also made a determination about Oxendine's cause of death difficult.

Toxicology analysis showed trace amounts of:
  • caffeine
  • nicotine
  • cocaine and metabolites
  • morphine (potentially reflecting heroin use)
Ethanol was also found but may have been due to decomposition.

"While the toxicologic findings indicate the use of illicit drug(s) at some point, no definitive association between such drug use and the decedent's demise can be made with any reasonable degree of certainty," the report read.

The medical examiner said subtle findings indicating a cause of death "may be difficult to clearly discern or reliably exclude with reasonable certainty given the condition of the remains." The examiner specifically mentioned that "putative asphyxial insult" - commonly called suffocation or other loss of oxygen - would be difficult to determine.

"The cause and manner of death are best classified as undetermined," the report read.

More details on the autopsies of the other two women at link: Autopsy: Cause of death undetermined for Lumberton woman

" The examiner specifically mentioned that "putative asphyxial insult" - commonly called suffocation or other loss of oxygen - would be difficult to determine.

Podcast Series by CBS17 News on the missing women. Start with episode 1:

"IT ALL STARTED WHEN…
Three women turned up dead in Lumberton, North Carolina, late in the spring of 2017.
All three were found naked and decomposed.
One was found in a television cabinet, another upside down in a trashcan, and the third under some brush and shingles.
Then two more women vanished. All five were in the same neighborhood.
No one has been arrested.
32 Degrees explores these cold cases through interviews with the families, friends and neighbors of Kristin Bennett, Rhonda Jones and Megan Oxendine."

32 Degrees: A True Crime Podcast

Last edited:
The body is not any of the women we have been following. The body was of a 55 y/o woman on whom a Silver Alert was issued. She has been missing since last summer

Local News

Remains of missing Robeson woman found

Tags:

Posted 2:11 p.m. today

Susan Dial McGirt, 55, was last seen walking away from an assisted living facility....
[...]
Remains were found on Feb. 27 near railroad tracks on Powersville Road in Lumberton, and authorities have identified them as McGirt's.

Remains of missing Robeson woman found :: WRAL.com

MAR 25, 2019
Three women found dead in six weeks in one NC neighborhood. Moms still want answers
[...]

Almost two years later, the mothers of the three women still want answers, CBS17 reports. The mothers recently learned that the rape kits on the women were not submitted for testing until 20 months after the first victims were found, in December 2018, the TV station reports.

[...]

“These last almost 23 months have been a living hell,” Shelia Price, the mother of one of the women, said, according to CBS17. “People just don’t get naked and crawl in weird spaces to die. Anybody who has any common sense at all knows that.”

“In April 2017, Christina Bennett’s body was found naked inside a television cabinet in an abandoned home in East Lumberton,” WBTW reports.

That same day, Price’s daughter, Rhonda Jones, 36 at the time, was found naked in a trash can, according to CBS17.

That trash can had the same number as the house where 32-year-old Bennett was found, Inside Edition reports.

The third victim, Megan Oxendine, was 28 when she was found dead, according to Inside Edition. She was connected to the other two deaths because she was interviewed by CBS17 the day the bodies were found, WBTW reports.

[...]

“When I found out a couple weeks ago that the Lumberton Police Department let the rape and DNA kits sit on a shelf for 20 months, that shows you just how much they care about these cases. So all they’ve done is going to just make us fight harder,” Price said, according to WPDE.

[...]

This is most absolutely a local to the area. How sad. And horrifying that the third victim was interviewed on the news regarding the deaths and then later a victim herself. People know things from that area, people need to speak up.

This is most absolutely a local to the area. How sad. And horrifying that the third victim was interviewed on the news regarding the deaths and then later a victim herself. People know things from that area, people need to speak up.
bbm
You are absolutely right -- people need to speak up. But... in view of what happened to the third victim -- she was on TV and certainly some people in the area knew who she was and some knew the area where she spent some of her time -- and then she was gone.
I'm not so sure I would be brave enuff to say anything if I frequented the same areas and I was known to be a friend, relative, or acquaintance of hers. She was there; she was killed. I don't know. Surely there is a way to get info to LE -- if it would do any good -- to give info to the authorities anonymously. SMH.
I grew up in Lumberton, many years ago, and it was a nice little town -- a good place to grow up. I left to go to college, and only went back occasionally -- all my L'ton friends/classmates left and do not live there, either.
I am not very familiar with the area where these young women were found, but I am sure it wasn't the same then as it is now. I cry for my little hometown and for those who are unfortunate enuff to have no way or means to leave it behind.

April 18, 2019

LUMBERTON, NC (WMBF) – The facts surrounding the deaths of three women in Lumberton remain a mystery two years after the gruesome discoveries.

The Lumberton Police Department and the FBI are asking the community for any information in the three death investigations.

The bodies of the three women were found between April 18, 2017 and June 3, 2017 within a four-block radius along East 5th and East 9th streets in Lumberton.

Authorities are making a plea to the public to help them develop a more specific timeline of when the women were last seen alive.
  • Christina Bennett, known to her family as Kristin, was found dead on April 18, 2017, inside a house on Peachtree Street. Anyone who saw Bennett between April 14 and April 18 is asked to call police.
  • Rhonda Jones was found dead April 18, 2017 outside a house on East 5th Street. Anyone who saw Jones between April 14 and April 18 is asked to call police.
  • Megan Oxendine was found on June 3, 2017 outside a home on East 8th Street. Anyone who saw her between May 31 and June 3 should call police.
Lumberton Police Detective Jennifer White said that the department has spoke to more than 800 people and they’re still at square one in the investigation.

The Jones’ family held a memorial service Thursday night where her body was found. Her sister, who did not want to be identified, said even though time has passed, things haven’t gotten easier and they’re asking the community for help.
The FBI is continuing to offer a reward of $30,000 for information that helps investigators determine the circumstances surrounding the women’s deaths.

Police, FBI push for information 2 years after women’s bodies found

Agreed -- It doesn't surprise me, however, having lived there many, many years ago. Lots of local politics and a few "good ol' boy" attitudes at one time. I've no idea how it is now.

Hi, if you go to the forum Missing you'll find discussions on the ladies.

Hope that helps.

June 2 2023
''Six years after their bodies were found, the FBI's Charlotte Field Office and the Lumberton Police Department are still asking the public for information in the deaths of three women who were found within a four-block radius in Lumberton in 2017.

Friday, the FBI announced the reward of up to $75,000 for information that leads to the discovery and apprehension of the person responsible for the deaths of Christina Bennett, Rhonda Jones and Megan Oxendine.
  • April 17, 2017: Christina Bennett, also known as Kristin, was found dead inside a house on Peachtree Street.
  • April 18, 2017: Rhonda Jones was found dead outside a house on East 5th Street.
  • June 3, 2017: Megan Oxendine was found dead in the yard of an abandoned house on East 8th Street.
A cause of death has not yet been determined for any of the women.''

Attached is an interview took place two years ago with the mother of Rhonda Jones and the sister of Christina Bennett, I had never seen this interview and thought I would share it here. My heart goes out to the families of all of the victims, Lumberton is a dangerous area with a continuously growing list of missing and murdered females that do not get the attention they deserve. A Family Mourning Wants Justice for Their Daughter

Attached is an interview took place two years ago with the mother of Rhonda Jones and the sister of Christina Bennett, I had never seen this interview and thought I would share it here. My heart goes out to the families of all of the victims, Lumberton is a dangerous area with a continuously growing list of missing and murdered females that do not get the attention they deserve. A Family Mourning Wants Justice for Their Daughter
So sad. I just want to hug these ladies. It's hard to wrap my head around the fact it's pretty much a small town,and nobody knows anything. I would not be surprised if it turns out to be someone with some kind of official job ie LE, code enforcement, some kind of city,or County job. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back