NC NC - Priscilla Blevins, 26, Charlotte, 7 July 1975

http://www.wbtv.com/story/21076744/woman-finds-remain-of-missing-sister

Three years after giving him that DNA sample, Cathy got a phone call. The day was October 18th, 2012.

"Detective Tuttle called me at 7:00 o'clock in the morning," she says. "He said, 'Can I come see you?' I was like, 'Sure'. And he came and sat on my couch, looked right at me and said, 'We found Priscilla.'"

Detective Tuttle had found Priscilla's bones. Way back in 1985, they'd been found in a heap right over the guardrail on the side of I-40 in Haywood County -- two-and-a-half hours from Charlotte. With no way of identifying them, the bones were sent to the North Carolina Medical Examiners Office. There they sat for 20+ years. Wasn't until Cathy's DNA got in the system, that the big national database matched them together.

Denise disappeared from 245 Tyvola Rd., her office. Pricilla lived in the 1700 block of Tyvola Rd. Same road, several blocks apart.

I have driven down Tyvola since I posted this. There is a Tyvola road and a Tyvola Drive. 245 Tyvola Road is basically the interstate but 245 Tyvola Drive is the last of the apartment complex. It is also near South Blvd.

I know things could have changed since 1975 but I-77 has been around forever. So it has to be Tyvola Drive. This puts them even closer together.

I hate that they don't know who did this to Priscilla and doesn't sound like any leads

Bumping this case up. Pricilla Blevins disappeared from her home in Charlotte, NC in 1975. Her body was found ten years later in 1985, but it was not until 2012 that she was positively identified.

The case is still unsolved, in that no person has been identified or charged as her killer.

Here is an obituary article from 2012 about her life and memorial service:

-------------------------------------

Priscilla Ann Blevins

Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:00 pm Memorial service is this Saturday for Priscilla Blevins

The family of Priscilla Ann Blevins (1948-1975) will hold a Memorial Homecoming service to honor her life on Saturday, Nov. 17 at 4 p.m. at Wait Chapel on the campus of Wake Forest University.

The eldest daughter of the late Roby Presley and Sadie Blevins, Priscilla was born in Charlotte. She spent most of her early years in Winston-Salem, where she graduated from Reynolds High School in 1966. A talented artist who enjoyed drawing and painting, Priscilla also had a gift for languages.

At Wake Forest University she studied French, Spanish, German, Greek and Latin. After graduating from Wake Forest in 1971, she moved to Bogotá, Colombia, where she taught English for an extended period while using the experience of living in a foreign country to strengthen her own language skills. Uprooting herself and moving far from home alone was a courageous act for a young woman back in the early 1970s. It was a risk she was willing to take as she prepared to pursue her goal to become a translator at the United Nations.

Priscilla had a personal mission to do what she could to help bring the diverse peoples of the world closer together through understanding and compassion.In addition to her interest in art and languages, Priscilla loved dogs and always kept pace with the latest trends in fashion.

Priscilla is returning home to her family after an absence of 37 years. Family, friends, former classmates and teachers and anyone who has been touched by her story are invited to attend the Memorial Homecoming. In lieu of flowers or donations of any kind, the family requests that you practice a random act of kindness in the name of Priscilla Ann Blevins to honor her memory.

Priscilla is survived by her sister, Cathy Blevins Howe of Clemmons, her brother, David Holden Blevins and his wife, Sandy, of Raleigh, her uncle, Stuart Blevins and his wife, Rachel, of Atlanta, her aunts, Mabel Johnson and Marie Tilly, her niece, Catherine Howe Bryant, nephew Adam Holden Blevins and many cousins.

A private burial will take place at Mountain Park Cemetery in Wilkesboro, with arrangements handled by Hayworth-Miller Funeral Home. Online condolences may be made at www.hayworth-miller.com.

LINK:

http://www.journalpatriot.com/obituaries/article_ba05495a-2e8a-11e2-831f-0019bb30f31a.html

Charlotte Observer
November 1, 2012

Police solve Charlotte 1975 missing woman case

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The 37-year-old mystery of a missing woman in Charlotte has been solved, according to a report in the Winston-Salem Journal.

The newspaper reported Thursday that Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have identified the remains found in 1985 in the N.C. mountains as those of Priscilla Ann Blevins, who had been reported missing 10 years earlier.

The Journal says a CMPD detective gave the news Oct. 19 to Blevins’ sister, Cathy Blevins Howe, of Clemmons. Priscilla Blevins was from the Winston-Salem area and was a Wake Forest University graduate.

Blevins was last seen July 7, 1975, by her roommate at their home in the 1700 block of Tyvola Road. She was 26 at the time.

The remains of a woman were discovered in 1985 off Interstate 40 in Haywood County and taken to the state medical examiner’s office in Chapel Hill.

The remains were linked to Priscilla Blevins after her sister provided investigators with DNA and dental records three years ago, the Journal reports.

LINK:

http://www.wcnc.com/news/crime/Police-solve-Charlotte-1975-missing-woman-case-176772601.html

I grew up in Charlotte and was 24 when she disappeared. I am now 65. All those years stolen from her. Such a shame her murderer has never been caught.

What a horrible story. Glad she is home. That bright young girl had such promise. I don't think Coffey did this. I also don't think we will ever k now who did it.

This year marks 40 years since Pricilla was abducted and murdered.

Priscilla Blevins' body was found and identified using DNA matching techniques. Her murder, however, has yet to be officially solved and her killer brought to justice.

One possible suspect discussed in these threads is Fred Howard Coffey, Jr., a convicted child molester and child killer. He is currently serving a life sentence at a prison in Burgaw, NC.

According to the North Carolina Prison Inmate Locator, Fred Coffey will be up for a Parole Hearing on 1 November 2018.

Please take the time to let your thoughts on this matter be known.

LINK:

NC DPS Offender Public Information

Priscilla Blevins, 27
Went Missing from Winston-Salem, North Carolina 1975
Discovered March 29, 1985
Location Waynesville, North Carolina
Identified c. 2012
Span 27 years
Cause of death Undetermined

LINK:
Priscilla Blevins

Members online