GUILTY NC - Rev. Kent Torrey Hinkson, 71, Durham, 4 August 2014

sophiebelle, Durham is known as a refuge city for criminals and it is a popular, busy drug hub. A lot of the riff raff in Durham hang out at the motels. To add to the list of horrible happenings in Durham there is now a lot of prostitution and sex slave /trade activity. All in all this is no longer a good place to raise kids. They will eventually be touched by, inticed or lured into one of the many criminal enterprises.

I completely understand wanting to know whether there is a random predator stalking the elderly. I have family there, and worry about the crime. Like, there was a shoot out in the Cook Out parking lot which was barely mentioned in the media because Durham kept it quiet. That infuriates me. The public does need to know about criminal incidents that may impact others. That said, I'm not worrying about this particular crime any longer.

I get it that others want closure. Sometimes there's a fine line, IYKWIM.

Speaking as a resident of the Woodcroft area, it's not "closure" that I am needing or wanting. When something like this happens so close to my home and my family, it is very unnerving. The biggest question I would like answered is "Was this a random act"? I know crime is pretty much everywhere and no place is considered safe any longer. It's just so scary to think of the thousands of times we have gone to the very places Mr. Hinkson went to that unfortunate day. It's just so sad and scary. Boodles: I'm curious why you are no longer worried about this particular crime?

Today is 02 Sept 2014- Matthew Reed reportedly confessed to the murder of Kent Hinkson and has an upcoming court date on 26 Sept 2014. He is charged with "Felony Murder". No other details have been given. If he confessed to the crime and led authorities to the body of Mr. Hinkson what will come next? Will there be a trial?
The public does not know if this was a random kidnapping and murder. Most of us assume he was kidnapped on 04 Aug 2014 and his death date was listed on the Hall Wynn Funeral site as 09 Aug 2014. I assume the death date was determined by an autopsy. That means he was kept alive for 4 days after the kidnapping. How scary is that?

Thank you for the info on the death date. I hadn't caught it.

Speaking as a resident of the Woodcroft area, it's not "closure" that I am needing or wanting. When something like this happens so close to my home and my family, it is very unnerving. The biggest question I would like answered is "Was this a random act"? I know crime is pretty much everywhere and no place is considered safe any longer. It's just so scary to think of the thousands of times we have gone to the very places Mr. Hinkson went to that unfortunate day. It's just so sad and scary. Boodles: I'm curious why you are no longer worried about this particular crime?

Excellent question. Welcome to Websleuths.

http://www.wral.com/warrant-blackmail-attempt-alleged-motive-behind-durham-priest-s-death/13991014/

Investigators say in the search warrant affidavit that Reed's brother-in-law, Mark Hines, and mother, Lori McCabe, contacted police after Reed admitted to his mother that he killed somebody. "Hines said that Reed told McCabe that he was in trouble, something had gotten out of hand, and it had to do with sex, money and a prominent position in the community."

Police, on Aug. 9, again spoke with Hines who said Reed had been taking methamphetamines, met with Hinkson and tried to blackmail him.

"Hines told police that Reed told the preacher he wanted money or he was going to tell the preacher's wife about their meeting," investigators said in the warrant. "Hines said Reed admitted to killing the preacher with his own two hands."

It's a terrible thing to happen, and this Reed was nothing more than a scammer to begin with. Now this man is dead, and his family is left to deal with the aftermath. Some things are so very hurtful when the stories come out. I imagine the media was patiently waiting.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/re...ble-motive-in-death-of-durham-pastor-1.374725

Reed told police that he’d only known Hinkson for two hours before he killed him. According to the search warrant, they met at a McDonald’s in Durham and drove around town before going to the Eno River State Park in Orange County, where Hinkson’s body was eventually discovered.

Reed told authorities that he took Hinkson’s car and left it in the parking lot in Durham before disposing of his personal belongings in a storm drain...

Early on Aug. 10 Reed led investigators to Laurel Ridge Road in Durham, which is part of the Eno River State Park in Orange County. There they found Hinkson’s body partially clothed with a belt around his neck. A cause of death has not been released.

As awful as this must be for his family, I do hope some good comes of it, in the form of a reminder to the public that it's simply not safe to meet a stranger for a tryst, regardless of age/gender/marital status/sexual orientation...

Although no one has come right out and said "it", I'm assuming the meeting was chance, and there was some extra-marital stuff going on? Or, did they meet online somewhere and arrange to meet in person that day?

It really doesn't matter.

I beg to differ. Depending on how this pastor met the suspect, and why he was meeting him, the risk factor would certainly be elevated. i.e., if he met him by chance and was offering to help him in a 100% legit fashion (as many pastors do), or if (as many others also do) he initially connected with him online for an illicit meeting.

Granted, either way it ended tragically for the pastor (and my heart goes out to his family for sure), but I believe it does matter how they initially hooked up and LE underscores this *all* the time, for those who meet random strangers online. If, that is in fact how they met. As difficult and painful as the details would be for any family member, it's important to know the facts.

There was a relatively significant "child exploitation" bust in Ontario today and we (hubby and myself) took the opportunity at the dinner table to once again, talk to our 4 teens about online safety, as the OPP stressed for the billionth time, how important it is for parents/family to be involved and know what's out there and what's possible.

I appreciate the updates. This isn't a case that I can easily forget. Bless his family. What a tragedy.

We have a condo in Woodcroft and I was shocked to see this story. Seems like it's not so random??? Prayers to the family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back