NC vs. Raven Abaroa ~ the Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opening statements and testimony April 29, 2013, in the first-degree murder trial of Raven Abaroa, accused of fatally stabbing his wife, Janet Abaroa, in their Durham home on April 26, 2005.

Link to all testimony from today:
Raven Abaroa trial testimony (Day 1)

Direct links to each witnesses testimony:
Prosecutors' opening statement on April 29, 2013
Defense attorneys' opening statement on April 29, 2013
(Day 1, pt 1) April 29, 2013, testimony of Janet Abaroa's mother, Janet Christiansen.
(Day 1, pt 2) April 29, 2013, testimony of former Durham 911 supervisor Barbara Parsons. (Viewer discretion is advised.)
(Day 1, pt 3) April 29, 2013, testimony of Durham police officer Jason Williams.
(Day 1, pt 4) April 29, 2013, testimony of Durham EMS technician Linda Whitley and part 1 of testimony from former Durham police officer William Benhart.
(Day 1, pt 5) Part 2 of April 29, 2013, testimony of former Durham police officer William Benhart.
(Day 1, pt 6) April 29, 2013, testimony of Durham police investigator Amanda Laeng-Craig.
(Day 1, pt 7) April 29, 2013, testimony of North Carolina State Highway Patrol trooper Christoper S. Baker.
(Day 1, pt 8) April 29, 2013, testimony of Lisa Sealy, a former neighbor of Raven and Janet Abaroa.
(Day 1, pt 9) April 29, 2013, testimony of former neighbors Mona Gauthier and Leo Farmer and retired Durham homicide detective Vincent Bynum.

I like that WRAL posts links to the trial testimony each day, so you can watch it at night, after say another trial that has been going on since Jan. ;)
(11 witnesses called today, thats more witnesses in one day then a certain defense team put on in 36 days)

Honestly, IMO she was talking about being pregnant again and married to a cheating, embezzling, narcissist, manwhore. That's just what I would be thinking anyway.

My thoughts exactly, L L & S. Yeah, the first word in my mind when I heard him quote what she said was "pregnancy" and putting up with his lying and selfish philandering.

Either he was too thick to understand what she meant, or he was too arrogant to get it. But IMO, he made a big boo-boo. I hope the PT will go after it. Grrrrrrrr.

My thoughts exactly, L L & S. Yeah, the first word in my mind when I heard him quote what she said was "pregnancy" and putting up with his lying and selfish philandering.

Either he was too thick to understand what she meant, or he was too arrogant to get it. But IMO, he made a big boo-boo. I hope the PT will go after it. Grrrrrrrr.

Me too!!

<respectfully snipped by borndem>

Opening statements and testimony April 29, 2013, in the first-degree murder trial of Raven Abaroa, accused of fatally stabbing his wife, Janet Abaroa, in their Durham home on April 26, 2005.

Link to all testimony from today:
Raven Abaroa trial testimony (Day 1)

<respectfully snipped by borndem>

:goodpost:
TigerBalm, you are just plain amazing and so good to us!! :takeabow:
Thanks for your work here. This is terrific! I missed one witness's testimony today, so now I can just go to your list & grab it.

Yes, Tiger, you are a wonder! :tyou:

I just got an email from someone who is at the trial. I sent the pic of Raven's wrist tattoo and it is supposedly a symbol for "father". Not sure of the origin of the symbol.

Just got another note: it's suppose to be a Chinese symbol.

:goodpost:
TigerBalm, you are just plain amazing and so good to us!! :takeabow:
Thanks for your work here. This is terrific! I missed one witness's testimony today, so now I can just go to your list & grab it.

Yes, Tiger, you are a wonder! :tyou:

TigerBalm, thank you so much. Eight Years we have waited for this and I am just not able to log in and follow it live and this really has been rough on me. This is making my life so much easier.

I really am grateful. Thank you!!!!!!

This article is dated April 19th

Defense attorneys have asked Judge Orlando Hudson to disallow at trial evidence retrieved from computers that were seized from the Idaho residence. They claim the search warrant for the equipment was invalid.

Hudson did not say when he would rule on the matter.

http://www.wral.com/defense-wants-computer-evidence-kept-out-of-abaroa-trial/12358236/

This was ruled on actually and the Idaho stuff will be admitted into evidence.

Wow - some of those witnesses have a really extreme southern drawl. I may need some translations from you Tx peeps. lol

Another point - The DT opening statement: He mentions a particular name before he mentions WS. Do I have to listen again, or does someone know the name? He seemed to keep track of Raven? Is he a WS member?

Is it just my computer sound system, or does the feed sound .....what's the word? Tinny, echo-ey - something I can't name.

And we are glad to have you, KMouse -- make a cake or a pie for him during lunch break tomorrow -- maybe that'll help. This will be a good one, but the principals are saying it should be a 3-week trial. I'll believe it when I see it, but coming from the Arias trial, which is still not over, three weeks will be like a 100-yard dash (um, not for me but for some sprinter out there, that is).

Looking forward to your good remarks, Mouse!!

Oh Em Gee! I baked chocolate peanut butter brownies right after the trial today to keep the gang happily out of my way tomorrow. A total BRIBE!

Is it just my computer sound system, or does the feed sound .....what's the word? Tinny, echo-ey - something I can't name. :banghead::banghead:

min marker 4:31 Day 1 part 7

This is the testimony about where the dog in their crates were - I don't know how important their location might be. They were in the back yard in a far corner in a shingled utility shed.

Wow - some of those witnesses have a really extreme southern drawl. I may need some translations from you Tx peeps. lol

The accents just warm my heart. I also love that instead of questions being answered with yes or no, they are answered with yes ma'am, no ma'am and yes sir, no sir. It is a welcome and comforting refuge from the Arias trial. :) Gotta love southern manners.

Your mileage may vary - moo.

Finally getting to watch the testimony from today. I am confused. Why did the PT call Mrs Gauthier? Did I miss something?

Finally getting to watch the testimony from today. I am confused. Why did the PT call Mrs Gauthier? Did I miss something?
IIRC, she testified about a rash of auto and home break-ins in their neighborhood. They went by so fast, I hope I'm catching the right one.

Another point - The DT opening statement: He mentions a particular name before he mentions WS. Do I have to listen again, or does someone know the name? He seemed to keep track of Raven? Is he a WS member?

JJ, I live here and had serious trouble understanding some of the witnesses.

And I understood about 3 words of that 911 call, other than the operator's "ok?"s. Did anyone understand what was being said? I'd love to read a transcript.

Maybe my hearing is going!

IIRC, she testified about a rash of auto and home break-ins in their neighborhood. They went by so fast, I hope I'm catching the right one.

You got the correct one. :) I wonder why these car break ins were significent. Did the PT just put them out there before the DT had a chance to claim that a wandering thief killed JA?

Ok I'm too lazy. When in the opening statement does the DT mention WS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419