NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds as though they are almost certain that this was a family-related crime...I would not be surprised if they are able to file additional charges soon. How sad...

Police "deeply concerned" about welfare of missing girl

Police are continuing their search for a 10-year-old girl who was reported missing at 2 p.m. Saturday. Officers have searched the girl’s northwest Hickory neighborhood with K-9 units but they have not found Zahara Clarie Baker.

Maria Claxton, of a local search dog team, led her dog behind crime scene tape and throughout the stacks of firewood and brush in the Bakers’ backyard while their pit bulls strained at their leashes and whined. Then she took the dog to the Bakers’ Chevy Suburban and Toyota Celica, into the crawl space under the family’s house and inside the home. The search turned up nothing.

[snip]

They were allowed to leave the police station after their interview. During their investigation, officers discovered inconsistencies in the Bakers’ story and the couple has not been ruled out as suspects in their daughter’s disappearance.

Elisa Baker was arrested at about 10:45 a.m. Sunday on nine unrelated warrants and charges.

• Six counts of worthless checks in Catawba County
  • Six counts of worthless checks in Caldwell County
  • Failure to return rental property in Caldwell County
  • Larceny by employee in Burke County
  • Failure to appear on three counts of communicating threats in Caldwell County
  • Failure to appear on charges of driving without a license and unsafe tires in Caldwell County
[snip]

Zahara’s biological mother is an Australian native and has not seen her daughter since she was about eight months old. She is believed to be in Australia and is not considered a suspect, Whisnant said.

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/...ncerned-about-welfare-missing-girl-ar-448453/

zahra-claire-baker-may-2010

Credit: By James Nix/Concord/Kannapolis Independent-Tribune
http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/...ncerned-about-welfare-missing-girl-ar-448453/

It sounds as though they are almost certain that this was a family-related crime...I would not be surprised if they are able to file additional charges soon. How sad...
Because of their inconsistent statements, it seems LE is leaning that way. However, I'd like to know what the father and step-mother were doing in between 2:20am and when they reported Zahara missing ~ such as were they awake, asleep, etc. and would it be at all possible she got out of the house on her own in the morning? What hasn't been said, unless I missed it, is how well she could navigate on her own in the area. :waitasec: MOO

I also cannot understand how she wasn't discovered missing until afternoon, unless the parents didn't go to bed until after 2:30am and didn't get up until the time they discovered her missing? :waitasec: MOO

That's my assumption for now -- that the parents' lifestyle involves being up at 2:30 AM, doing whatever, and then crashing and not waking up until 1:00PM. Then they look around for an hour before calling police. Reasonable, I suppose, if you're in the habit of leaving a one-legged, hearing-impaired 10 year old to her own devices through long stretches of daytime hours when a child on any sort of regular school schedule would be awake and inclined to try to have some fun. The stepmother's laundry list of charges sketches a picture of a general lowlife -- lots of bad checks, stealing from employer, driving without license, failing to return rented property (presumably she'd stopped making payments on it). Odd that they don't seem to have a comparable list for the father, though. Irresponsible lowlifes usually pair off with their own kind.

And I'd certainly like to know more about how this little girl lost her leg and became hearing-impaired, and why her biological mother has been out of the picture since before her first birthday. Sounds like she's had quite a rough life.

I hope Zahra ran away, and it sounds like she may have had good reason to want to. But it doesn't sound like investigators are leaning in that direction. They wouldn't have arrested the stepmother on those many outstanding charges -- which obviously aren't all brand new -- unless they thought she was involved. If those charges weren't considered serious enough to arrest her for before, they wouldn't be considered serious enough now to be the real reason she was arrested.

Police "deeply concerned" about welfare of missing girl

Police are continuing their search for a 10-year-old girl who was reported missing at 2 p.m. Saturday. Officers have searched the girl’s northwest Hickory neighborhood with K-9 units but they have not found Zahara Clarie Baker.

Maria Claxton, of a local search dog team, led her dog behind crime scene tape and throughout the stacks of firewood and brush in the Bakers’ backyard while their pit bulls strained at their leashes and whined. Then she took the dog to the Bakers’ Chevy Suburban and Toyota Celica, into the crawl space under the family’s house and inside the home. The search turned up nothing.

[snip]

They were allowed to leave the police station after their interview. During their investigation, officers discovered inconsistencies in the Bakers’ story and the couple has not been ruled out as suspects in their daughter’s disappearance.

Elisa Baker was arrested at about 10:45 a.m. Sunday on nine unrelated warrants and charges.

• Six counts of worthless checks in Catawba County
  • Six counts of worthless checks in Caldwell County
  • Failure to return rental property in Caldwell County
  • Larceny by employee in Burke County
  • Failure to appear on three counts of communicating threats in Caldwell County
  • Failure to appear on charges of driving without a license and unsafe tires in Caldwell County
Police initially suspected that a stranger might have abducted Zahara. New information has surfaced and stranger abduction appears less likely, though no possibilities have been ruled out at this point, said Hickory Police Chief Tom Adkins.

[snip]

Zahara’s biological mother is an Australian native and has not seen her daughter since she was about eight months old. She is believed to be in Australia and is not considered a suspect, Whisnant said.

That's my assumption for now -- that the parents' lifestyle involves being up at 2:30 AM, doing whatever, and then crashing and not waking up until 1:00PM. Then they look around for an hour before calling police. Reasonable, I suppose, if you're in the habit of leaving a one-legged, hearing-impaired 10 year old to her own devices through long stretches of daytime hours when a child on any sort of regular school schedule would be awake and inclined to try to have some fun. The stepmother's laundry list of charges sketches a picture of a general lowlife -- lots of bad checks, stealing from employer, driving without license, failing to return rented property (presumably she'd stopped making payments on it). Odd that they don't seem to have a comparable list for the father, though. Irresponsible lowlifes usually pair off with their own kind.

And I'd certainly like to know more about how this little girl lost her leg and became hearing-impaired, and why her biological mother has been out of the picture since before her first birthday. Sounds like she's had quite a rough life.

I hope Zahra ran away, and it sounds like she may have had good reason to want to. But it doesn't sound like investigators are leaning in that direction. They wouldn't have arrested the stepmother on those many outstanding charges -- which obviously aren't all brand new -- unless they thought she was involved. If those charges weren't considered serious enough to arrest her for before, they wouldn't be considered serious enough now to be the real reason she was arrested.
With the outstanding charges pending, however, it seems less likely that the parent(s) would be involved in her disappearance, knowing that reporting her missing would bring attention to them and lead to Elisa's arrest. If it were only one or two misdemeanor counts, but this many certianly she knew about them ~ or at least I'd think she did. On the other hand, you might be right that LE is using these charges in order to hold her, pending the outcome of their investigation. As for Zahra possibly running away, that's why I am curious how well she gets around on her own; however, the hearing aids were left behind. If she didn't meet with foul play inside the house, I'm thinking it could be possible she went out in the morning and never made it back home. :( MOO

In one of the articles above it states they brought dogs in and did not pick up anything, I think she was loaded in a car and taken somewhere......... :(
I saw that, even looking under the house, around the brush and pile of firewood........however sometimes dogs can be distracted and it did mention the pit bulls straining at their leashes and whining. So I still wondered if it were a possibility she could have walked off. I'm leaning more and more though to the worst that she never made it out of the house alive. :( MOO

I wonder if this child was in school on Friday...and what her teachers and schoolmates could offer by way of information concerning this family.
Also, if we only have the parents as witnesses to Zahra's last known whereabouts, can we truly depend on them telling the truth?

I wonder if this child was in school on Friday...and what her teachers and schoolmates could offer by way of information concerning this family.
Also, if we only have the parents as witnesses to Zahra's last known whereabouts, can we truly depend on them telling the truth?
I would imagine LE hasn't had a chance to look into that yet, unless someone came forward on their own over the weekend. I also noticed one article stating she was last seen wearing an Army t-shirt and black leggings. It just sounds more like something she'd wear during the day, instead of to bed.....especially the black leggings. MOO

Z had cancer is what I thought I read.That is why she lost her leg and hearing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Have they given any info on when Zahara was last seen by someone other then Dad and stepmom? I've looked and haven't seen anything.

Prayers for Zahara.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have they given any info on when Zahara was last seen by someone other then Dad and stepmom? I've looked and haven't seen anything.

Prayers for Zahara.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I have read.

There's a rather large body of water positioned NW of the Baker home. It's a straight shot up 21st. 21st turns into 9th. 9th turns into 19th. The distance (road miles) from the Baker home to the shore of this body of water is (I show) 1.3 miles. I can't tell what this body of water is. It looks like a river but my Google map must be on the fritz or something because none of my water bodies are showing names today.

Interesting to me is that both parents saw her at 2:20am and she was sleeping. That sounds odd.They both went into her room and checked on her? Maybe. They stayed up later and then just got up in the afternoon and she was gone? What about breakfast? Lunch? Odd.

Lake Hickory is very near. Catawba County (where Hickory is located) and Caldwell County are divided by Lake Hickory. When I lived there my mailing address was Hickory...but I lived on the Caldwell County side of the Lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo