NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not knowing his immigration status, but wonder if AB would be entitled to a Public Defender? Could this be a reason he's still out and about?

Still playing catch up so not certain this has been answered. AB, from the moment of arrest, would be extended consular assistance from his native country's embassy - as would any foreign national being charged with a crime. They would help ensure he had adequate counsel.

I do think his immigration status may be playing into why he hasn't been arrested despite the admission of charges against him. Once he is arrested it would set into motion a host of other things - like the deportation process. I would think LE would want to make absolutely certain all i's were dotted and t's crossed because with foreign nationals it can get rather messy.

IMO, a horrible scenario to play out would be to charge AB with lesser crimes...he serves a light sentence if that, is deported, and months down the road it turns out he indeed was complicit in the murder of his daughter. Getting him back onto US soil would be a nightmare and would be even worse were he to face the DP.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/consular_charter/index.html
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/foreign-nationals-and-death-penalty-us

:) A question for all you pros --

What is the license tag # shown on this search warrant for the '05 Impala?

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/mgmedia/file/35/baker/

It, at first, looked like a "1" to me. But my search didn't get any hits with that number.

So, on closer examination, it looks like a wider numeral may be just squeezed in there. What would it be? 4, 7, 9 ?

Opinions, please.

Thanks!

ETA: Oops - I meant the last digit looked like a "1" - that's the only part of it in question.

...it's hard to tell-------LE should learn to write LEGIBLY on hand written forms!

...the 1st digits are clearly ZVR 227.....

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/mgmedia/file/35/baker/ ( page 4 ).

Good Morning! I looked at the search warrant document, and from comparing the handwriting, it looks as though the last number on the Impala tag is an 8.

Sorry if this has already been determined.

I am sure this has been addressed somewhere in the threads previous...but does it seem weird that the search warrant (page 4) that the items listed included:
"4 burnt samples (from Tahoe and Brush pile)"
"2 toothbrushes"
"Duke Power bill"

So I was under the assumption from the media, that the Tahoe didn't catch fire, and that is where the note was found. If they removed burnt samples FROM the Tahoe does that not mean that something inside the Tahoe was at one time on fire? (is that a safe conclusion??)

About the toothbrushes, unless they are from a dentists office visit (I think I even have one of those in my car) there is no real reason to have 2 in a vehicle.

Here is my theory about the fire/tahoe thing: EB harms Zahra (Ugh, awful) EB feels the need to dispose of all the items she can think of, that may contain record of Z. Common items shown in TV shows to ID people: toothbrushes, bedding, hair brush, food containers...c-mon, you have alll seen the CSI episode where they offer a drink to someone, only to take the DNA off of the can... this could explain the bowl. (Previous dinner maybe??)

Did LE ever come out with any information about the passports found in the Tahoe? Were they maybe AU passports for Z & AB? Again an attempt at trying to dispose of anything that could potentially ID Z.

It seems to me, that the Tahoe and it's contents are going to play a very large role in this case. Does anyone have any proof of which car AB took to work before the fire? One would think, co-workers would have/could have seen the inside of the vehicle. Could they maybe attest to how AB kept the truck? (Always washed, clean inside or was it always full of random stuff?)

One more thing I need to add, the media is reporting that the Tahoe was doused in gas. Has that been confirmed? I guess it may seem nit picky, but when someone says doused, it means really soaked. Was the tahoe really soaked with a lot of gasoline, or was the smell & residue of having the gas cans inside the vehicle enough to make the car smell?

Oh gosh, one thought just crossed my mind. What if, EB was trying to set up AB for the "homicide" by starting the fire, and then placing all the incriminating evidence into the truck, "find the Z missing" (which we know they didn't at the time of the fire) and blame it all on AB to get him deported so she could move on to her next cash cow.

Sorry for the long post, it is late, and my mind is racing right now.

That's very true. I was assuming he was working legally and I don't know that to be true.

On occasion, my boss pays people under the table (despite me telling him not to do so). He still generally pays them at least $8/hr. If you work enough hours and get paid under the table, you have the potential to bring home even more. It's been said AB worked a lot of hours. $600/mo would mean he was either not working many hours or making less than $3.50/hr.

Unfortunately, for the Tree Service business, the owner is in a heap of trouble now if he wasn't hiring employees legally & paying taxes.

(I realize the info doesn't help the case along, just that finance is my thing)

Wonder if this might explain why AB called his boss before calling 911?

Oh gosh, one thought just crossed my mind. What if, EB was trying to set up AB for the "homicide" by starting the fire, and then placing all the incriminating evidence into the truck, "find the Z missing" (which we know they didn't at the time of the fire) and blame it all on AB to get him deported so she could move on to her next cash cow.

Ohmygato, there are quite a few interesting observations in your post! I don't think I can help with any of the questions, as I haven't seen solid media reports or interviews that would answer them. But.. the above-quoted really jumped out at me. To me, it sounds very plausible, maybe even probable. Good eye on that stuff.

...it's hard to tell-------LE should learn to write LEGIBLY on hand written forms!
...the 1st digits are clearly ZVR 227.....

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/mgmedia/file/35/baker/ ( page 4 ).
bbm
My pet peeve I work in Private Security We write tons of manual reports We have to read the previous shift's DAR's The hardest to discern by far are the one's written by former LE (in some cases current LE SO is their 2nd job)

I am leaning toward thinking they have forensic evidence that leads them to reasonably believe Zahra has passed on I think it is blood evidence and clothing JMO

:) A question for all you pros --

What is the license tag # shown on this search warrant for the '05 Impala?

It, at first, looked like a "1" to me. But my search didn't get any hits with that number.

So, on closer examination, it looks like a wider numeral may be just squeezed in there. What would it be? 4, 7, 9 ?

Opinions, please.

Thanks!

ETA: Oops - I meant the last digit looked like a "1" - that's the only part of it in question.

my opinion is not professional but, the writer on that page seems sloppy on writing a 6 and a 4 and the numeral doesn't look like it was going to read 6. JMO

I think it's a 4 :)

There's only 9 numbers it could be.. Check all 9 and see what comes back as the right type car..

:waitasec: EB has admitted to writing the ransom note, maybe AB was next to go missing so she could move on.

Saddly, I feel like we are in the same place as soooooo many others, no body, no charges....we just set back and scream, my heart cries again!

Still catching up... on pg. 17 now... got some much needed rest and spoke over the internet with my son in Afghan. :woohoo:
(haven't spoke for 4 weeks, getting worried)

Somethings that I've been thinking about lately:
I'm wondering about the gas in the Tahoe.. I'm leaning more and more that it was used to move a gasoline soaked mattress... and it was partially burned because they found burnt material inside of the Tahoe also.. and took samples of the burnt material in the fire also...
I'm not ready to dismiss the woodchipper thing yet...keeping in mind that there were more than one.. and they did dismantel one and we haven't heard anything else.. I know that they said blood was found in/on the engine but haven't said that it was ruled out either... (unless I missed it)
Maybe its possible that the mattress was set on fire and put off so much smoke and smell that they had to put it out... they could have had a scanner and already heard about a call to the fire department and had to try and cover for it.. so EB had no choice but to call first or make some hasty decisions...
Gas may have been poured into the vehicle afterwards to explain the gas smell..
Please note this is not a theory.. Just some things rolling around in my head as I'm still having my coffee....:angel: G'morning everyone... :)

What I see on the '05 Impala...ZVR2271

I magnified it and there is no other lines, just a 1...JMHO

Where is Zahra???

I am praying for answers I just don't understand the level of depravity it takes to kill anyone let alone a child who has fought and triumphed over so much adversity It just isn't fair I am grieving over this child as if I knew her well I broke down bawling this morning I just want to know why and I want Zahra found TODAY so she can get the respect she deserves

$600 a month is not much but if rent is included and the use of company car and probably an account for gas it's still a low income though but I can see why EB would mention the words control in her fake ransom note.

$600 a month is like lunch money.
IF true...
This makes me wonder if Mr. Coffey was firing him... They would lose everything... That would make sense of the "who's in control now.." statement..

You know...if it wasn't for the bogus randsom note...Elisa MIGHT have been able to squeak out of this!!!!

The keys in my mind to solving this involve the phone call to BB on the friday, and the man from London.

Her British friend MH has a male friend, PE who is a BIG fan of UK football. It was stated earlier in the posts that his name was 'Carlisle Fulham' (2 UK footie teams!)
or mispelled 'Carlisle Fullham'I have spent HOURS working on those names, to no avail....

I'd LOVE to know HOW this woman could entice a man to send her $10,000!

As soon as I saw her picture on EB's MS page I wondered if that *might* be the connection to the London guy. :waitasec:

Not a lot of news out this morning...

Lawyer known for murder cases assigned to Elisa Baker

Zahra Baker's stepmother has been in the Catawba County jail since Oct. 10, and she's had frequent visits from three people: her attorney, Scott Reilly; lawyer Lisa Dubs; and private investigator Steve Elhers.

Dubs confirmed Friday that she has been assigned to Baker's case as provisional counsel. According to court records, Dubs' role is to "conduct a preliminary investigation, determine if the defendant is indigent and needs appointed counsel, and protect the defendant's rights pending appointment of trial counsel."

More...

Investifators tight-lippedas search continues
Saturday marked the 15th day spent searching for 10-year-old Zahra Baker. She has not been found.
Hickory police did not respond to requests for a status update on the ongoing investigation Saturday, and it is not clear if the investigation has stalled.
More...

Someone also said cadaver dogs prove a murder took place, but did we establish they were in fact cadaver dogs? The whole woodchipper issue turned out to be unrelated and those dogs were blood trackers, right? We never got a positive hit on a cadaver scent, did we?

Who said that "cadaver dogs prove a murder took place?" Cadaver dogs can hit on the scent of a decomposed body being there, of which, only proves there is a scent of a dead body not what caused the death of a person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member