GUILTY ND - Dru Sjodin, 22, abducted and murdered, Grand Forks, 22 Nov 2003 *arrest* #4

"Jurors deliberated for less than four hours, then found Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., 53, guilty of charges he kidnapped Sjodin, stabbed her, raped her and dumped her body in a ravine.

Rodriguez stared straight ahead as the verdict was read. His mother, Dolores, wiped her face with a paper tissue. "

Jurors will return to court Tuesday to begin the death penalty phase of the case.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/30/slain.student.ap/index.html

I have to say from reading the testimony in the paper that the Grand Forks PD did a great job narrowing in on this slimeball. The one investigator was given a list of sex offenders & Rodriguez was the only level 3, so he started (and finished) with him.

Also doesn't sound like he got much of a defense, but who cares, fry his *advertiser censored*!

I'm so glad that this is almost over for Dru's family. I just wish that she could come home now that he will be put to death. It doesn't work that way though. I will never forget Dru of the bubbly personality. Such a cutie and just so full of love and life. Such a shame that this happened to her. I would imagine her boyfriend still has nightmares. He must have felt so helpless and especially after he learned that she had been kidnapped.

I'm not at all surprised that this fat troll was found guilty and I firmly believe that he will get the death penalty. I just wish that they could sentence him and then take him straight to the death chamber or the hanging tree but probably to the darn needle. This guy deserves more that to just go to sleep.

Someone asked about Dru's boyfriend....I read not to long ago that he is still involved with her family and would be at the trial. They were planning to be married so he is probably still grieving. Maybe after the fat troll is in prison the whole family and the boyfriend can begin the healing process. God bless each and everyone of them.

Bobbisangel said:
I'm so glad that this is almost over for Dru's family. I just wish that she could come home now that he will be put to death. It doesn't work that way though. I will never forget Dru of the bubbly personality. Such a cutie and just so full of love and life. Such a shame that this happened to her. I would imagine her boyfriend still has nightmares. He must have felt so helpless and especially after he learned that she had been kidnapped.

I'm not at all surprised that this fat troll was found guilty and I firmly believe that he will get the death penalty. I just wish that they could sentence him and then take him straight to the death chamber or the hanging tree but probably to the darn needle. This guy deserves more that to just go to sleep.

Someone asked about Dru's boyfriend....I read not to long ago that he is still involved with her family and would be at the trial. They were planning to be married so he is probably still grieving. Maybe after the fat troll is in prison the whole family and the boyfriend can begin the healing process. God bless each and everyone of them.

I met her boyfriend and talked with him at a benefit for Dru when she was considered missing -- before they got onto Rodriguez. He was a very nice young man. Very open and at that time, hoping against hope. :(

I am so glad they are considering the death penalty. This is one slug who deserves it. What makes me sick is that he was released in the first place.

Eve

Jurors have just announced they have a decision in the sentencing. They are about to update on Fox News.

Glad to hear he got a death sentence.

What a shame such a lovely human being had to lose her life because of that sorry .

A little bit of justice was served today. Maybe now Dru can RIP.

Liz said:
Glad to hear he got a death sentence.

What a shame such a lovely human being had to lose her life because of that sorry .

A little bit of justice was served today. Maybe now Dru can RIP.
Just read the judge has upheld the DP.And also refused the defense asking for a new Trial.

This article truly made me cry. RIP Dru and God Bless this judge for his compassion.

fran

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SLAIN_STUDENT_SENTENCING?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Feb 8, 5:40 PM EST

N.D. Student's Killer Sentenced to Death

By DAVE KOLPACK
Associated Press Writer

FARGO, N.D. (AP) -- A rapist who killed college student Dru Sjodin six months after being released from prison was formally sentenced to death Thursday in a case that led to tougher sex-offender laws.

U.S District Judge Ralph Erickson also rejected a motion for a new trial for Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., 53, who was convicted last fall of kidnapping resulting in death.

Sjodin, 22, a University of North Dakota student from Pequot Lakes, Minn., disappeared from a Grand Forks shopping mall parking lot in 2003. Her body was found nearly five months later in a Minnesota ravine. Authorities said she had been beaten, raped and stabbed.

Before Sjodin's slaying, Rodriguez had served more than 20 years for offenses that included rape and attempted kidnapping. He got out of prison about six months before the killing.

North Dakota and Minnesota have since toughened their laws against sex offenders, including life without parole for the most serious offenses and stricter supervision of offenders after they leave prison.

.....................................snip...............................

The judge, fighting tears, said Thursday was the most difficult day of his life.

"I would gladly lay down my own life to have had this whole ordeal avoided, to have Dru Sjodin back with her family, to have never heard of you, Mr. Rodriguez," Erickson said. "The life of one federal judge more or less pales in comparison to the pain that this crime has inflicted on so many people."

Rodriguez showed no emotion during the hearing. He had been offered a chance to speak but declined.

"The sentence does not reflect the heart of the community," his lawyer, Richard Ney, told the judge. "It reflects the fear of the community."

Here's a case archive for the Dru Sjodin case:
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Dru%20Sjodin%20%20-ND-/

Old case, but still news happening with the murderer.

They want a new trial now. Again and again and again we must protect these rapist/murderers. This is ongoing for years and years.

Here's 2 articles from today:
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2012/01/09/new-trial-death-row/

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/f1942a4d5c88403783fb31a00a1e6302/ND--Slain-Student-Appeal/

Can't they just inject this guy already?

http://www.wday.com/news/north-dako...question-juror-misconduct-death-penalty-trial

A federal judge plans to hear arguments next month about claims of jury misconduct in the trial for the man sentenced to death in the 2003 kidnapping and murder of Dru Sjodin.

Attorneys for Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., who remains on federal death row, filed paperwork in support of his claim.

However, documents detailing arguments, including prosecutors' response to Rodriguez's claims, are sealed in advance of a Sept. 8 hearing before U.S. District Judge Ralph Erickson in Fargo.

The case docket reveals few details, but Assistant U.S. Attorney Keith Reisenauer filed a motion asking for "temporary and partial closure" of the upcoming hearing.

A federal judge on Tuesday pushed back the next hearing in a North Dakota death penalty case to allow a new defense team to catch up on evidence.

U.S. District Judge Ralph Erickson had re-assigned the case of Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. in June to the Federal Community Defender Office, or FCDO, in Pennsylvania. The move was viewed primarily as a cost-cutting measure.

The next hearing in the case was expected to take place on Nov. 1 in Fargo, with a second hearing to follow on Jan. 17. During a 10-minute session in open court Tuesday, Erickson scheduled a hearing on forensic issues for March 28 and hearing on mental health issues for June 20.
http://www.twincities.com/2016/08/18/hearings-in-dru-sjodin-killers-death-penalty-case-pushed-back/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back