UNSOLVED ND - Niagara, Six nude bodies buried in crawlspace, c. 1906

Thank you 52bruno :) Now I am really curious what the true descriptions are on the people he killed. That article said a family of 5 and a man at a later date. I have read other places that it was teen boys, etc. Is there any way to verify which is correct?

And I am putting this here so I can come back and find it if I need to later...the widow Hanke and her children show up on Florida Street in Buffalo, NY in the 1905 New York census. I am going to try looking to see what happened to the brother she lived with next door to Eugene Butler.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MV1L-F35

Here's what was reported in 1915. (Please note: I'm quoting words used in the article, outdated vocabulary to our ears.)

"One Victim was Colored: Negro who worked for Eugene Butler believed among six killed: Other five skeletons probably those of housekeepers and their children."

See the article on the upper left corner of page at this link: http://tinyurl.com/zr9gkns

Here's what was reported in 1915. (Please note: I'm quoting words used in the article, outdated vocabulary to our ears.)

"One Victim was Colored: Negro who worked for Eugene Butler believed among six killed: Other five skeletons probably those of housekeepers and their children."

See the article on the upper left corner of page at this link: http://tinyurl.com/zr9gkns

The article above says that the other victims were housekeepers and their children. On the 1900 Census for that location, there is a female boarder (not living with Butler) who was a 33 yo housekeeper from Norway. She had three children, ages 8, 5, and 2. The newspaper article says one of the victims may have been 2yo, as the skull had only 9 teeth.

Her name was Mary Dyreson, with kids Carl, Anna, and Martha (?). You can see them on page 2 of the 1900 Census for Niagara ND. I can't find them on any subsequent census but I'm also wondering if that name is spelled correctly. It's possible they remained alive and well, and show up with a different spelling on a future census. For those who like to look at censuses, please join in. The more eyes, the better.

IF the bodies were Mary and her three children, plus the adult hired hand, that accounts for all five bodies. (Is it just me, or do any of you suspect there may have been more that were never discovered??)

Anyone want to help look for Mary and kids?

Can't resist this mystery!

ETA: I thought there were five bodies, but there were six found!

The article above says that the other victims were housekeepers and their children. On the 1900 Census for that location, there is a female boarder (not living with Butler) who was a 33 yo housekeeper from Norway. She had three children, ages 8, 5, and 2. The newspaper article says one of the victims may have been 2yo, as the skull had only 9 teeth.

Her name was Mary Dyreson, with kids Carl, Anna, and Martha (?). You can see them on page 2 of the 1900 Census for Niagara ND. I can't find them on any subsequent census but I'm also wondering if that name is spelled correctly. It's possible they remained alive and well, and show up with a different spelling on a future census. For those who like to look at censuses, please join in. The more eyes, the better.

IF the bodies were Mary and her three children, plus the adult hired hand, that accounts for all five bodies. (Is it just me, or do any of you suspect there may have been more that were never discovered??)

Anyone want to help look for Mary and kids?

Can't resist this mystery!

Oops...never mind. I think I found the son Carl as an adult male in the same location in 1940 working as a hired hand. Well, I'm glad he lived. :)

Next lead....

(I let my subscription to Ancestry expire. I've already needed it twice this year. :gaah:)

(I let my subscription to Ancestry expire. I've already needed it twice this year. :gaah:)

Oh, I can quit my Ancestry subscription anytime.....says my denial of addiction.

Of course I cannot load/open the articles because I am on my iPad. Ughhhh :/

Gimme a sec, I will type out some of the content. (Since the articles are from 1915, they do not fall under copyright laws any longer.)

Here is the text of the 1915 article from the The Duluth Herald, June 30, 1915:

"Clews (sic) unearthed by the Grand Forks county officials bid fair to lead to the indentity of the sixth murder victim’s bones found under the Eugene Butler home, near Niagara.

Sheriff A.F. Turner and Coroner R. McLean visited the murder farm yesterday afternoon and made a thorough investigation of the premises. They also rescued from souvenir seekers the remainder of the bones that were unearthed.

That the sixth victim was a negro, employed by Butler for several years, is the opinion of the authorities. Neighbors remember the negro being employed on the place. He suddenly disappeared, Butler announcing that he had quit his job, leaving the country.

It is believe the five other victims were two housekeepers, employed by Butler back in 1900 and 1902, and their children. One of the children was probably only about 2 years old, as the skull shows only nine teeth.

The authorities propose to get in touch with a former housekeeper employed by Butler, now residing somewhere in Missouri. There also is a man, residing at some point in Michigan, who was a foreman on Butler’s farm for several years, while a farmer residing within 100 years of the Butler place during most of the period that Butler resided there, who is also being sought. He has departed from the state.

J. Solseng of Niagara, once employed by Butler, says Butler was in the habit of prowling about his place at night, armed with a revolver, fearful that somebody was trying to rob him. This former believes the murders were committed by Butler."

According to that article from 1915 I posted a link to earlier:

The house was built approximately 20 years earlier. If that is true, that means the bodies were buried 1895 (give or take) or later. Also stated is that the family of 5 was killed prior to the adult man. Family was buried from the outside through foundation, later adult man was through hole cut in floor.
The bodies were found after Eugene died in 1911. Eugene was in an insane asylum from 1904 or 1906 (I've read both) until his death in 1911. Was his home vacant that entire time? Were there squatters? Any way to find out?

And here's another lead for an adult male victim:

Again, look at the top left corner of the page for the article http://tinyurl.com/zsc67v7

Here's the text from The Duluth Herald, July 16, 1915

"Leo Urbanski of Long Prairie, Minn., believes one of Eugene Butler’s murder victims on Butler’s farm near Niagara, was his brother, John Urbanski.

In his last letter received from Urbanski, he told his brother he was working for an old bachelor near Niagara, the postmark showing the letter had been mailed at Larimore.

Further, the insane murderer lived near Niagara, was a bachelor, but was accustomed to doing most of his business in Larimore, so there are features in the case that seem to identify one of Butler’s victims as the missing Long Prairie resident."

Here is the text of the 1915 article from the The Duluth Herald, June 30, 1915:

"Clews (sic) unearthed by the Grand Forks county officials bid fair to lead to the indentity of the sixth murder victim’s bones found under the Eugene Butler home, near Niagara.

Sheriff A.F. Turner and Coroner R. McLean visited the murder farm yesterday afternoon and made a thorough investigation of the premises. They also rescued from souvenir seekers the remainder of the bones that were unearthed.

That the sixth victim was a negro, employed by Butler for several years, is the opinion of the authorities. Neighbors remember the negro being employed on the place. He suddenly disappeared, Butler announcing that he had quit his job, leaving the country.

It is believe the five other victims were two housekeepers, employed by Butler back in 1900 and 1902, and their children. One of the children was probably only about 2 years old, as the skull shows only nine teeth.

The authorities propose to get in touch with a former housekeeper employed by Butler, now residing somewhere in Missouri. There also is a man, residing at some point in Michigan, who was a foreman on Butler’s farm for several years, while a farmer residing within 100 years of the Butler place during most of the period that Butler resided there, who is also being sought. He has departed from the state.

J. Solseng of Niagara, once employed by Butler, says Butler was in the habit of prowling about his place at night, armed with a revolver, fearful that somebody was trying to rob him. This former believes the murders were committed by Butler."

Thank you for this Inthedetails! It would be great to find out who the housekeepers and man are. The article I posted said the first 5 were a family. I am wondering if the it was two sisters and their children or what? Ugghh

Here's the text from The Duluth Herald, July 16, 1915

"Leo Urbanski of Long Prairie, Minn., believes one of Eugene Butler’s murder victims on Butler’s farm near Niagara, was his brother, John Urbanski.

In his last letter received from Urbanski, he told his brother he was working for an old bachelor near Niagara, the postmark showing the letter had been mailed at Larimore.

Further, the insane murderer lived near Niagara, was a bachelor, but was accustomed to doing most of his business in Larimore, so there are features in the case that seem to identify one of Butler’s victims as the missing Long Prairie resident."

Wow! Great find! I wonder what came of this and if the poor guy ever got his answers :(

The house was built approximately 20 years earlier. If that is true, that means the bodies were buried 1895 (give or take) or later. Also stated is that the family of 5 was killed prior to the adult man. Family was buried from the outside through foundation, later adult man was through hole cut in floor.
The bodies were found after Eugene died in 1911. Eugene was in an insane asylum from 1904 or 1906 (I've read both) until his death in 1911. Was his home vacant that entire time? Were there squatters? Any way to find out?

In the newspaper page you linked to, there is a second article about him and the last sentence of that article reads:

"His estate was valued at considerable, and was divided between New York state relatives."

That leads me to *assume* for the moment that the land and buildings were left vacate until his death as there is no indication of a caretaker or of a squatter that needed to be removed from the place.

Thank you for this Inthedetails! It would be great to find out who the housekeepers and man are. The article I posted said the first 5 were a family. I am wondering if the it was two sisters and their children or what? Ugghh

From what I gather, there were conflicting reports. The five victims have been described as a woman, man, and children and also as two housekeepers and their children (which I assumed to be two women, but perhaps not).

Everyone was killed in a similar way which suggests they were done one by one. How did he kill a whole family one by one? And then he had to undress them one by one as they were found without any clothing.

Eek, it's creepy.

Looks like there was indeed someone looking after the property while Eugene was in the asylum:

From Buffalo Courier, June 29, 1915

“Butler lived at Niagara, four miles west of Grand Forks county, on the Great Northern railroad. He took up to 420 acres of land there about twenty-five years prior to his death and lived alone there. He at one time lived in Lockport, but he came from the northern part of New York state and his estate was distributed to relatives in that section. He owned live stock in addition to land.”

And also….

“’I was committee of his person and property, under the North Dakota law, and went to see Butler, whom I had not known previously…I never knew the man personally until I saw him in the hospital. He seemed perfectly harmless.

‘I was acquainted with Frank Butler of Cooperstown, N.Y., and it was at his request I was appointed committee of the person and property of Eugene Butler and subsequently administrator of his estate. Frank Butler was one of the heirs of the estate. He lives in Cooperstown.’”

Here's Eugene's death notice from the paper, before anyone knew he was a serial killer with dead bodies under his house:

From The Duluth Herald, October 30, 1911

"Jamestown, N.D. - Eugene Butler, a patient at the state hospital for the insane, died Monday from phlebitis. Deceased was 61 years of age. The remains were sent to Middleport, N.Y., for burial."

I didn't know what phlebitis was - here's a link to a wikipedia page about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlebitis.

Okay, one more article with some info that conflicts with others (and then I'll quit monopolizing the thread!):

New York Times, June 27, 1915

"All but one of the victims were adults, the other being a boy 13 to 18 years of age."

"That his victims were farm laborers who, he believed, were plotting to get his money, is the theory advanced by officials."

"The murders were probably committed over a period of several years, probably four or five years before he was committed as insane."

So, there was confusion at the time of discovery about the ages and gender of the remains. (Understandable confusion, of course.) Do they have those facts figured out now?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back