GUILTY ND - Savanna Lafontaine-Greywind, 22, pregnant, Fargo, 19 Aug 2017 #3

Remembering Savanna Greywind four years later

8/20/21

2HXCVSRWQZKH7MMLGVOONWIP5E.jpg

FARGO, N.D. (Valley News Live) - Today marks the four-year anniversary of a crime that shocked the Fargo-Moorhead community, as well as the nation.

Four years ago, an 8-month pregnant Savanna Greywind, just 22-years-old, went upstairs to try on a dress in the apartment of Brooke Crews and her boyfriend, William Hoehn.

When Greywind never returned downstairs to her apartment, her family began to worry.

Her car was still in the driveway, her wallet left behind and she was no longer answering her cell phone. Greywind’s mother, Norberta, knocked on Crews’ apartment, but Crews stated Savanna left around 2:30 that afternoon.

Norberta called police to report her daughter missing and Fargo Police Officers questioned Crews and Hoehn, as well as searched their apartment. However, both on Aug. 19, as well as two more times, police came out empty handed.

[..]

Savanna’s boyfriend of almost seven years, Ashton Matheny, now has custody of baby Haisley Jo, who will be celebrating her fourth birthday this week.

“Every day I’m reminded of her more and more, because every day she grows and she’s starting to look more like her mother. I miss Savanna so much, I’ve never put love into someone like I did her,” Matheny said in a 2018 interview.

The 2017 murder of an Indigenous woman from Fargo, North Dakota has sparked progress in the fight for justice for missing and murdered Native American women and girls, including the passage of two bills.

Twenty-two-year-old Savanna LaFontaine-Greywind, a member of the Spirit Lake Sioux Tribe, was eight months pregnant when she disappeared in August 2017 from her home in Fargo, North Dakota. Her body was found nine days later, wrapped in plastic and floating in a nearby river.

Her upstairs neighbor, Brooke Crews, pleaded guilty to murdering LaFontaine-Greywind and cutting her unborn child out of her belly. Crews was sentenced to life in prison without parole; Crews’ boyfriend, William Hoehn, was sentenced to 20 years in prison. Savanna’s child, a girl, survived.

Mona Gable, author of the book
Searching for Savanna: The Murder of One Native American Woman and the Violence Against the Many, spoke with A&E True Crime about LaFontaine-Greywind’s murder, and how it sparked progress in trying to ensure justice for missing and murdered Native American women and girls.

July 1 2023 rbbm
rbbm
''The U.S. Justice Department is launching a program to respond to the missing and murdered Indigenous persons crisis — an issue that’s been getting attention south of the border, following years of headlines in Canada.

Five assistant U.S. attorneys and five co-ordinators will be given the mandate to support United States attorneys’ offices in addressing the issue. The personnel will be situated in 10 states covering five regions across the country.

“The five AUSAs will have the same authorities as other AUSAs and will partner with federal (Bureau of Indian Affairs Missing and Murdered Unit and FBI), tribal, state, and local law enforcement agencies to assist in investigating unresolved cases,” a U.S. Justice Department spokesperson said.

In August 2017, when the body of a missing and pregnant 22-year-old Indigenous woman, Savanna LaFontaine-Greywind, was found in duct tape and plastic in the Red River, the Native American community of North Dakota was shaken. It was the same river, though divided by an international border, where 15-year-old Tina Fontaine was found dead in Winnipeg in 2014.

After pressure and advocacy with the hope of preventing similar tragedies, Savanna’s Act was signed, among a number of measures introduced by the U.S. government, directing the Department of Justice to review protocols regarding missing or murdered Native Americans.''

Greywind’s story, entitled “First She Stole My Baby,” is about the 22-year old, eight-month pregnant nursing assistant from when she first goes missing near her 9th St. N. apartment on Aug. 19, and follows through to her body being found in the Red River and the trials against her murderers.

“I didn’t think this would be my last day on earth. I thought it would be the best year of my life, not the last one,” said an actress in a promotional video for the series on YouTube.

In reality, Greywind had her entire life blossoming before her: she was excited about having a baby. She was in love with her boyfriend, Ashton Matheny, father of their child. She had a decent job and was anticipating a move into a new apartment with her new family, to start a new life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back